Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Dangerllama posted:

Sometimes I wish I were a ref so I could give players poo poo.

Asshat Player: I can't BELIEVE you loving missed that trip?!?! Are you blind???
Me: I can't believe you missed that tape-to-tape pass :smug:

Want to play with an eagle-eyed ref with impenetrable skin? Then try out for the Blackhawks.

This. A thousand times...this.

Referees at your EEEEE or DD or even C league games are guys that love hockey and probably play in another league themselves. It's not a bad gig to get paid to skate for 3-4 hours, 3x a week. I don't know anyone that decides to be a hockey referee without first being a player and loving the game.

Every player sees the game from their own perspective. The main difference is you have a desire to see the game unfold in your favor. The referee doesn't (well...shouldn't) give a rat's rear end about the outcome. What you see as a blatant trip in the offensive zone could, from another angle, be seen as a player hacking at the puck and hitting skates instead. You see the event as a disadvantage to your victory. The ref may see players of moderate skill make a mistake.

Be cool with the stripe and 99/100 they'll be cool with you, as long as your teammates don't make that impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

bewbies posted:

Yeah. Here I made an MSPaint diagram

You're facing the direction of the red arrow, the black things are your skates. I think this makes sense, let me know if it is confusing.

This is confusing.

if the red circles are my hands and the puck is behind me and I am facing in the direction of the thin red arrow, I am Gumby.

This all makes sense if I am facing the other way but you've said the opposite

OHHHH, I get it I think. Shoulders square to the net, feet point to the boards, reach back, wrist only.

This is much more doable than I previously imagined

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 15, 2011

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Black tape on the blade and white on the knob. My gloves are clean and clear of stick-i-tude.

My stick blades are wood grain/natural colored and I wrap black tape the mid-heel and the toe. I leave a small gap (2-3 wraps worth of tape) between. I play goalie in my inline league and I know I have an easier time tracking a puck against white tape. I figure the worst thing for the opposing goalie to pick up would be a black puck against two puck sized dark objects, maybe not knowing exactly where it is in the split second before the shot.

Perhaps I think way too much about it. It's a fine line between clever and stupid.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm in the Detroit area (Novi, specifically), and I know there must be a ton of options for hockey. Is there a website (like the one just posted for Minneapolis) that has a list of drop-in and other opportunities to play? Or any goons who are in the area, too? I'm starting to get the itch to skate and/or play more than once a week. I'm ideally looking for something beginner-level, as I'm starting from scratch in learning how to maneuver myself on skates.

And I'm considering doing some drop-in inline to help myself learn to stick handle, as it's cheap and very close to me. Anyone either do this or have opinions on it?

For open hockey/Drop-in, there are 3 rinks in the area that have regular ice:
Farmington Ice Arena : M,Tu,Th,F 9:30 to 10:50 - $8
Novi Ice Arena : http://www.noviicearena.com/dropin_hockey.html
Suburban Ice Arena : http://www.suburbanice.com/suburban-farmington/

I've skated all three with some regularity and I'd guess that Suburban is probably the best for beginner skaters. All three can have occasional bad nights but for the most part, the players are all really helpful and fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.

There are plenty of outdoor, free, public inline rinks around but the best that I know are in Livonia: http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/Departm...83/Default.aspx

There are about 5-6 Goons skating these rinks and two teams called The Goon Squad in the Ann Arbor Men's leagues.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

sellouts posted:

Because some of us have to go to work in the morning and don't want to limp around all day or spend a bunch more of our own money on a doctors visit on top of the insane league fees we already pay?

I spent years blocking shots, I'm over it. Any league I play in is a beer league and not blocking a shot isn't the end of the world. There's enough risk with idiots on the ice already.

For the record I actually think keeping your chin low to cover your throat is more important than a hand over your cup.
<snip>

I don't think anyone is looking down on players for not going down to block shots. The question, as I understand it, is "Am I being a db for blocking a shot in beer league hockey?"

I look at is the same way as wearing a cage/visor versus going without. You're an adult. If you want to take the risk, you deserve the results. The unfortunate side effect of people skating with a cage their whole lives is a greater tendency to skate with their stick around their shoulders.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

...they're exhausted and either wind up making a bad change or being totally ineffective at backchecking. ;)

What is this 'backchecking' you speak of?

jk, your post mirrors my feelings too. We have a team of former Never/Ever players that wanted to move up and get more experience. We had a few uncomfortable instances of 'But, I wasn't even tired yet' early on. After 2-3 games with a more firm stance on shift length, it kinda woke up some of our guys when we completely gassed the other teams in the second period. We will probably have to move up another division largely based on how much a team can dominate if they all play short, hard shifts, skate as hard as you can and make the other team chase you all night.

That and I think the other teams play a drop-in style where the man closest to the door goes out next and we have forward lines and defense pairs.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

Heat treating pretty much eliminates the break in period, so it's not as bad as it used to be.

While this is technically true, Alizee is comparing 2 bottom line skates at a price point of $150. I would be surprised if either of them were thermoformable.

Alizee may be making it more difficult by comparing how much of a discount each skate represents. The skate that fits best is the best skate for you if you only have $150 to spend.

Comparing $100 skates to $400 skates to $800 is pretty easy. In middle to lower end skates, price can be a poor indicator of value. The extremely cheap (sub-$75) off-brand skates are a bad choice at best (and possibly dangerous) $100 and $200 skates can be of good quality but not remarkably so. Skates around $300 to $500 start to have major improvements over the lower ones. Within those 'bands' there are minor differences but not enough to compensate for a poor fit.

Both Bauer and Graf make fine skates and will be a massive upgrade from the Walmart Size 13.5 things mentioned earlier. I am guessing the Bauers are X:5...X:30 and are not thermoform capable, iirc. Specific models of Bauer or Graf would be helpful to know which is the better value but as mentioned, the skate that fits best is the best skate.

Wear them and move in them. Tighten the laces until mildly uncomfortable. Shift your weight left-to-right and front-to-back. Feel if/how your foot moves within the skate. The skate should really feel like an extension of your leg with little or no movement inside. Your toes should be flat, not curled up but not really able to wiggle around very much.

...and I suggest listening to headphones while doing all of this. You know what to listen to. :rock:

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Alizee posted:

Ok guys I'm back with my purchase!!! At first I went over and I was going to buy the X:30's. But they only had size 5,6 and 13 lol. Everything else was either too cheap, or too above my price point new.

So I decided to go check out the Graf's try them on and see if they fit me well. I walked around in them for 10-15 minutes and did some squats and some cartwheels, a few triple luts and decided to lock in my answer.

So here's a picture of these bad boys. I got $20 trade in on my old skates and a free sharpening. So after all that they were $140 tax included.

I'm so pumped to skate in them tomorrow and saturday. They're so much smaller and better fitting then the other skates, the other ones were practically clown shoes by comparison.

They're a size 9 so I'm really surprised they fit so well. A size 11 shoe fits me snug and I wear 12's in sneakers.

An excellent find. I'm glad you like the fit. They will feel completely different actually skating instead of standing and doing cartwheels. This is likely a very good thing. I hope they bring you long term happiness.

I thought the Vapor X:40 was the lowest bakeable skate. Shows what I know.

Also, I've never owned skate guards. Once I put on skates, if it isn't covered in rubber, I don't go there.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

He, like me, probably has external pockets specifically for the skates. Like on this bag:

DingDing! Not that exact model but a very roomy bag with skate pockets on the side and two waterproof pockets at the ends. Skates on the sides, Shower stuff (towels, soap)goes in one end. Manager stuff (roster, clipboard) goes in the other. I think it's 10 years old RBK but I can't find any images online.

As soon as I get home, I toss any washable stuff into the laundry. I spray lysol on any body contacting pads (inside shins, elbows, shoulders, pants, inside gloves especially) and hang up all my gear on those $0.70 bicycle hooks from the basement ceiling. Sometimes I'll turn on a boxfan. 15min of care and there is no rust and no smell.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 10, 2011

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Aggro posted:

<snip>
I sincerely hope that within the next 10-15 years, no one at any level is allowed on the ice without a full cage.

Sir, I respectfully and emphatically disagree with you.

I also play aggressive defense and prefer non-crippling injuries. However, just like many other things that come with being an adult, one can choose their own place on the risk/reward spectrum.

Don't want your teeth gashed in with an errant stick? Wear a cage.
Prefer to see the ice with no fog or visual bars? Don't wear a cage.

The difficulty is that you can't have both.

I would like to see, somehow, more emphasis on teaching younger/inexperienced skaters to keep their goddamned sticks down when they are skating without the puck. The worst facial injury, splitting my upper lip like a hare, came from backchecking. An opponent racing for the puck, skating ahead of me with two hands on his stick, hit me on the back swing. The puck was probably 20 feet ahead and there was no reason for his stick to be up there, aside from carelessness.

I wear a cage now, but it is my choice. I don't trust the other players to be as careful as I am. Force cages at all levels and there is no reason to learn to be careful with your stick.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 16, 2011

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

coldwind posted:

A. If everybody had to wear a cage, people wouldn't have to learn to keep their sticks down. They would want to, but it wouldn't be necessary for the safety of the game. Cept maybe the refs. OK, they have to wear cages, too.

B. It's up to an adult to chose their place in the risk-reward spectrum, but it's also up to the hockey organization to decide what the extremes are of that spectrum. Not wearing a helmet is also part of the spectrum, but the organizations can (and should) make that part of the spectrum off limits.

C. Many players never get any formal (or even semi-formal) instruction. How do you handle that? I mean, do you force them to get instruction?

(I'm not in support of mandating cages. Just saying how somebody in support could counter your arguments.)

I get what you're saying but some of these counterarguments are specific to official league play. Not all hockey is played in sanctioned, officiated venues. It is my opinion that it is better to learn not to skate with your stick around your shoulders, in general, for being a better hockey player.

No one needs to be 'officially' taught not to do it. No instruction is necessary. If you carelessly spear someone in the face, you should probably expect to get the snot knocked out of you. Men have been learning that for generations. There was no sanctioning body handing out decrees.

I'm not saying accidents never happen and toothless 60-yr-old players from the good ol' days are always right. I am advocating that hockey can't be played in a bubble of '100% safe'. If you to enjoy hockey and never risk a hockey injury, watch it on TV.

It's better to teach players to stay in control than to legislate away the need for self-control.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 16, 2011

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Gio posted:

On the one hand, I don't think people should take a beer league so seriously. On the other, I've played on teams with guys that are frustratingly bad and can understand why people get pissed. If he doesn't belong at that level, he shouldn't be there and I'd tell him. But if he is at the right level, tell people to chill the gently caress out and work with him so long as he's trying his hardest.

If he's not at the right level, I doubt he's having much fun anyways.

Gio, You interested in Suburban on Friday night, 8:30? putting some guys together.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Verman posted:

We played our 5th game of the season last night which was miserable. The weather was reaching 90 an the humidity was about 100%. The rink was a little slick making hard accelerations and stops really sketchy. With all the heat, nobody had any gas and it was painful.

We went up early and gassed, they caught up and gained the lead. In the 2nd half we tied it up and then played tied for a while. They were getting really chippy and physical in a no checking inline league. My ankles got hacked and I received more than enough cross checks to the tailbone. I got hit with a shot trying to screen the goalie and the welt on my thigh is the size of an orange.

With about 2 minutes left in the game, I was playing D instead of forward that way we always had a good skater back to prevent a late goal. While the play was at the other end of the ice, I was in our zone nearing the mid court area when one of their players who was cherry picking downward slashed my stick out of my hands from behind in addition to hitting me. I just threw my hands up and looked at the ref with a very WTF look. Everyone started yelling, our team making sure it was a penalty and their team trying to get out of a penalty shot since every penalty results in a shot in our league. Luckily I was given the shot which I made 5 hole.

Fortunately we were able to kill off the rest of the game and squeak by with the win to remain undefeated for the season. Now I have a huge black and green/blue bruise on my leg which seems to change colors on the hour. I hope we never play a game that hot, it was miserable.

Perhaps it is just the phrasing you used but if you're gonna stand in front of the other team's goalie, getting a few shots in the back or chops to the ankle is pretty normal, even for a non-check league, in my experience. The slot is no place for a meek person, or those easily offended.

I am also curious how someone could...
- knock the stick out of your hands,
- from behind,
- while hitting you
...if you are playing defense near center ice to prevent a late goal. I would suggest that you keep a better grip on your stick and never let the attacking forward be in a position where you can't see exactly what he is up to.

It kinda defeats the purpose of playing back there if someone is able to get behind you.

Again, it might be the phrasing you used. The situation might be completely different from what I interpret but it seems like these are pretty standard events and not dirty play.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

The stick got slashed out of his hands from behind. This can happen why not? This doesn't mean the person was directly behind him. Maybe off to the side you do have blind sides and a forward playing defense? You know his head wasn't on a swivel.

My point is simple: Playing defense means knowing where the lead attacker is and what he is doing at all times.

Losing track of the lead attacker to the point where he is able to literally relieve you of your stick is pretty poor defensive play. The post I was referring to seemed to think it was unsporting, waved his arms, and joined his teammates in an attempt to convince the referee that he was wronged. I am presenting another view. Different leagues have different interpretations of dirty play vs. making the other guy look foolish. In my league, this would probably not have resulted in a penalty, much less a penalty shot. Without seeing the incident, it is impossible to be sure.

I used to be punished if a coach was _ever_ able to knock a stick out of our hands. Didn't matter if we were standing around, during a drill, scrimmage, etc. They all lead to extra suicide skating drills.. Over the course of a season, you learned to keep two hands on your stick.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

WouldDesk posted:

Maybe you two should zip your bags.

That happened to me once. After a complete scouring and throwing out everything that couldn't be washed or peroxided to death, I started hanging my gear on the floor joists in the basement.

10 or so of those $0.50 ceiling hooks and a cordless drill later and I was back on track. Sticks are neatly hanging too.

Set up a couple of fans pointing up and the gear dries quickly, never stinks. Never accessable to cat rear end.

Also, those $3.00 large bicycle hooks are awesome for hanging the filled and zipped bag after the gear is dry. My hockey gear area takes up 0 floor space and is tucked against the wall when not in use.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm managing my team for the first time this year and if everyone shows up we'll have 3 lines of forwards and 6 D. I'm kind of hoping we're always missing at least one person each game otherwise the D will probably be pissed...

Always 'plan' on having 5-6 defensemen but expect to be skating with 4. We are very lucky to have 6 experienced defensemen, 2 of whom are playing forward according to the roster. If someone can't make it, we simply bring one of those guys back for a night.

It's also really nice to have 2 very conservative guys and 4 aggressive guys. Just make sure to mix them, not match them.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Vital Signs posted:

3 hours away in Ann Arbor here.

You in the league? I know the Goon Squad (D-II) pretty well.
There are a few of us in that/those leagues

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Angry Asian posted:

Sorry for the late response, but hell yeah that would be awesome. This week is a little busy but how about next? Also, can I just show up with skates, stick, gloves and a helmet? That's all the gear that I have for now. Also mind you I've never handled a puck on ice before :ohdear:

If you've never felt a puck slide on ice, prepare for awesomeness. Also prepare to chase after it a lot.

My Tron socks (similar to the RBK style) lasted about 12 games. They have some small holes but not in need of replacement just yet. Knit socks last me about a year (4 seasons)

I block a lot of shots on defense so ymmv.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

I can do backwards crossovers in a circle going counter clockwise like I was born to do it. I can do it clockwise pretty good. I can get good speed skating backwards. However, I feel like I absolutely cannot transition either way. Also can't hockey stop.

My forwards crossovers need more practice too. I'm pretty sure I 'cheated' them when doing learn to skate because I got into the habit of forcing my inside leg to crossunder (seriously, i'd bend my ankle to assist this) and then lift the crossover leg. I'm pretty sure I need to be catching the edge of the outer leg, using that momentum to carry it over the inner leg.

Hopefully I can get out to the rink tomorrow and practice all that poo poo. And I'm gonna wear the pants I just bought and probably the knee/shin pads too. That way I won't be as weary of falling and take more risks to start doing this stuff. I don't care if I look like a fool.

Sounds like great progress. For me, getting crossovers down really forced me to focus on getting my overall leg angles correct. It is almost impossible to do a crossover without having a decent bend in the knees and ankles. Crossovers are about transferring weight and power.

It also helps if you are able to swim. If you can swim, you have already experienced that thrashing your arms around in water will get you moving...sort of. When you really focus on angles and the best way to push/climb the water, it becomes a lot smoother and easier. A crossover is pretty much like pushing against the ice to anchor your turn.

I think it's a great attitude to go in protected and fearless. The less you care about looking like a fool, the faster you'll make progress toward skating more smoothly.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

lizardking posted:

7am skills clinic starts tomorrow. I hate getting up early, but I want the ice time and instruction dammit! I'd like to get out of D league by 2013 haha.

Are you looking for a D-I home for Fall...cause I know a guy.

fake edit: I mean Men's D league, Div 1. Not Division 1 Hockey.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

lizardking posted:

Haha, 2013 is a bit ambitious considering I only sub d2, should have wrote by end of 2013 maybe end of 2014. I may know your guy, is his name Dave?

We are working on fielding GoonSquad teams in D-I, D-II and NeverEver. It would be fun to have actual Goons all up in the GoonSquad.

email me at oddixibbo at g male dot com. I don't have plat.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

sellouts posted:

The official skates to the bench after the drop and tells me "I saw it at center ice and I gave you the one behind the net in return because you kept it clean. Now do your part and stay on the bench the rest of the game". There was about 2 min left so it wasn't a huge request. I love officials that can explain the calls and understand and acknowledge the ebb and flow of the game. Stuff like that makes it worth biting your tongue and always being courteous to them no matter how many calls they miss.

I would take that as a great compliment to you. The ref saw exactly what happened, understood that you were competent and knew how to handle yourself. You maintained the flow of the game without letting someone get the better of you. He recognized that and trusted you.

We've got 1, maybe 2 officials at our league that do things like this. Unfortunately they rarely work my division. Our last game, the official called an icing against a shorthanded team. This isn't the first time that it has happened.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

real_scud posted:

Sometimes poo poo happens cause they're human. Case in point: Last game we were up maybe 4-2 at this point, I come on for a shift puck gets played perfectly between my feet on a break-out and I pick it up for a clean breakaway with one man behind me. I get inside their zone and am about to shoot when the whistle blows.

Ref looks around and realizes he thought that we had too many men on the ice, when we didn't, but because our jerseys are dark blue, and the other team was wearing some dark green's he got them mixed up.

Was pissed because I might've scored, but in the end it worked out cause our line managed to bang in a goal in the next 20 seconds or so.

Of course right after it goes in the same ref who made the mistake blows his whistle and is waving his hands and says "No goal!" and then proceeded to laugh.

I can totally see how it's easy to be intently watching the play, pressure deep in the zone and sort of 'tune out' the fact that a team is shorthanded. One sees a long clear out of the defensive zone to relieve pressure and the hand goes up. Completely understood. I'm ticked that the same ref has blown this call about 5 times since I started at this rink.

This set of officials always put the resulting faceoff deep in the advantaged team's zone (as if to continue the icing) and not at center ice (as if for an inadvertant whistle). This one confuses me but at least it's consistent.

I've seen it enough to know that it's coming but I need to explain it to the 4-5 guys on my bench that start bitching up a storm when the faceoff is in our zone.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

IT admin at Fermilab here. Go-go government teat!

I'm married, so seducing girls is in my past. Wife thinks is pretty cool though, so I suppose that counts.

Ok, this is getting really weird.

I'm at Michigan's Physics department designing electronics and data systems for cosmic and high energy physics experiments.

Made a cosmic ray detector and flew it over Antarctica last winter.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

This is all I could find, which is mostly a page full of graphs:

http://www.experian.com/blogs/marketing-forward/2009/10/05/shopping-preferences-and-purchase-behaviors-of-nhl-fans/

I swear I remember reading a much more verbose article from the same company a ways back, but I can't find it now.

Hockey is expensive, yo.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Brettbot posted:

Signed up tonight! :woop: Here goes nothing!

Welcome to the getting-home-at-11:50pm-working-at-5:00am club!
1.) Cold beer is in the bucket.
2.) Last man out locks the room.
3.) Missed that breakaway? = buy 5 pucks for the team.

:cool:

Seriously, congrats. You'll never regret it.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Thel posted:

Guys, I need some advice. (This is for floorball, but it's more about team dynamics and poo poo.)

A few friends of mine are putting in a team to a grade that's above the one I play in, but I got word tonight they want to put me on the wing (to get a bigger more physical guy on D). I've played defense the entire time I've been playing (have filled in a few times as goalie too). Another team in the higher grade has asked if I'm available to play goalie, and I'm a bit conflicted. I feel a bit like my friends are keeping me on the team so I don't get butthurt by being excluded (or they're too nice to say "you're not up to speed, deal with it"). I know for myself I'm not going to be at all effective moving up a grade and playing forward - I'm straight-up going to be a liability (or, even more of one than I'd already be :downsrim:).

I guess the logical thing here is to grab the captain of my friends team, and just say to him "I've been asked to play goalie for another team and I'm not confident in my ability to step up and play wing. Is it going to bother you if I swap teams?".

Beer league sport. Serious business yo. (Oh, additional complicating factor: me and these friends - we basically are the organisers for these leagues, and this team we're pitching is, essentially, just to make up the numbers to make the upper league viable. :v:)

Be open, honest and direct with your friends. It will never be easy to say what someone might not want to hear but it's also dangerous to presume their intentions.

If you can handle the idea that you might not be up to speed and are willing to play anyway, (as H.Z. recommends) then ask yourself if you'd rather skate out with friends or play net. If you're honest, and ask your friends for their honest opinion, everyone will at least understand each other.

I enjoy playing both with and against my friends. It's a blast to get a bit rough in the slot when you know the other guy is gonna laugh alongside you instead of getting all bent out of shape.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have ice? I skate on water for the first period and a half usually.

There is a 'Henrik Zetterberg = Jesus' joke in there somewhere but I can't seem to put it together

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Gonna go play me some hockey tonight and try to forget what a horrible, hosed-up day this has been. At least for a little while.

Quoting this forever. Hockey is a place where all other issues and problems can disappear for 90 minutes. A place of clarity and purity where it doesn't matter whether you're a college student that just woke up or a father of 2 that just worked 10 hours. If you can play, find some other guys that you can play with and do it as often as you can.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

eXXon posted:

I'm torn between replying with "no, that rarely ever happens to anyone in games I play" and asking you if you're one of those defensemen who spazzes out and crosschecks anyone within 20 feet of the net.

Hockey is not completely a contest of strength such as greco-roman wrestling. It is also not completely about accurate targeting such as darts. Hockey is a contact sport. The areas with the most contact are also the areas with the best opportunity to score on your opponent.

It isn't that hard to understand. Some positions are dedicated to preventing the opponent from scoring. They are called defensemen for a reason. If you want to stand in the region with the best opportunity to score, you can't complain when a player dedicated to defending his goal wants you out of that region. Since harsh language is mostly ineffective, the defender must use his (or her) body to prevent you from scoring.

Knocking over a player without the puck is interference, and that's a penalty. Making it difficult for a player to score by pushing them away from the optimal scoring position is not.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Aniki posted:

I hate when guys blast music in the locker room. If you need to get yourself pumped up, then put in your headphones and don't subject everyone else to Nickelback. I hope you guys gave him poo poo for that.

We're pretty good in our league and heading into our last game, we were...overconfident to say the least. One of our leaders was screwing around and left the Pandora 80's mix on for pre-game. Crowded House's Don't Dream, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, etc.

Played sluggish as hell.

Lost 5-3.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

Do interference rules include tying up a guy's stick? Or maybe more significantly, is there a chance a ref will ever call it anyways? Reading the rules it doesn't say anything about whether the stick is fair game, it just talks about using your stick on the body to slow them down. The rules for hooking claim that stick to stick contact is always okay.

Say I got a teammate skating up ice with the puck, and I'm near an opponent who's chasing him. I get an angle to clamp down on his stick, either slowing him down or messing with his ability to make a play on the puck. I keep away from his hands and there's no body contact.

This certainly seems against the spirit of the interference rules, but doesn't seem explicitly prohibited.

If I understand the scenario, you would be guilty of interference if you stopped trying to move forward with the play and instead decided to cross your stick over your opponent's stick. If you continue moving with the play and happen to choose a path that makes it really hard for the opponent to get to the puck, it would not be a penalty.

It is my impression that most of the interference calls are made when a defender ties up an attacking player who does not yet have the puck. A defender who is chasing down an attacker from behind and being denied this opportunity by a second attacker [you] is a bit different. You would have to grab a stick or arm or make it totally obvious that your making no effort to advance the play in order for me to call an interference.

Then again, I haven't reffed a game in over 10 years so take this with a grain of salt.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Thufir posted:

I took skating lessons and did public skates for a year before I started to play. On the one hand I think I'm a better skater than most of the other beginners I've played with, but on the other hand I missed out on a year of playing hockey and having fun.

I think you've nailed the general issue. Spending more time developing skills will make you a better hockey player. That said, we all will die one day and waiting another year to play a hockey game is 1/70th (or so) of your life wasted. Measuring fun by how much one is contributing to the team victory is a bit of an odd metric, but hockey is very much a team sport.

I guess it boils down to asking yourself one question: Are you the kind of person that isn't having fun unless you are doing something well? If so, spend your time building skills and practicing. If not, learn to skate and sign up for a beginner's league. It would be a very strange beginner league that looks down on a new skater for not contributing significantly to the team.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 13, 2013

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We have 7 skaters for tonight's meaningless consolation game and one guy is threatening to stay at home if I play in net. What a baby. Go go serious beer league.

One day, your knees will give out, your back will ache, your heart will barely keep you alive and your fingers will be so ridden with arthritis that you cannot tie your skate laces. That day, and that day alone, should you stay home and not play hockey.

gently caress him.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Also bad players don't skate which means they're not tired.

I think the only way to _really_ drive home the idea of short, hard shifts is to play in a league that is above your skill level. Nothing else really convinces a person that they aren't skating fast enough. Get those feet moving and suddenly you're playing hockey instead of watching other folks skate past you. This really doesn't happen when you're skating in your comfort zone.

real_scud, you're fine in my opinion, especially if the rest of the bench was calling for a change as well. There's a difference between 1 guy calling for his position to change and the entire team seeing that the shift was way too long.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

the last signal... posted:

So for the third season in a row, my rec team is facing elimination in the first round by a ringer team, and it's getting really frustrating. I've been running this team for three years, and we may not be the most skilled, but we're pretty committed and all of our guys make it to nearly every game. Each season, we end up finishing high in the standings and then first round we play a low ranked team that all of a sudden has a bunch of amazing players who only showed up for a fraction of the games in the regular season (you need 8 out of 25 to play during playoffs). It's like we're playing a whole new team. It seems to make the season mean nothing and is just lame in general, and this has happened to us literally every season in this league.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Am I being a gigantic hockey sperglord? In a 25 game season, how many games do you think a player should have to play in order to be eligible for playoffs?

Maybe you could look at it another way.

Your playoff season is what, 3-4 games? You played well enough to finish in the top teams. That's 25 games of good, strong, hard-fought, mostly-winning hockey which you and your team paid for.

Coming in to the playoffs near the bottom and bringing in ringers is a really dumb way to spend hundreds of dollars, I think. The result is they get to take home a piece of plastic and brag that they won 3-4 hockey games. I agree that beating that ringer team in the playoffs is great but i'd rather grind out a close win over a similar opponent 3 or 4 times a season. It always leaves me wanting to come back for more.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

the last signal... posted:

It's true, we definitely get our money's worth during the season, even though this team in particular we played three times and won 6-1, 7-4 and 7-3. But the way our league does it during playoffs is best of 3 for each series, and then finals are best of 5. There are three rounds in the playoffs, so getting past the first round could get you an extra 2-8 games.

Wow, that's some serious playoff hockey. Our league is a single-elimination, 8 team tourney of 1-8, 2-7...etc until the championship so it's at most 3 games. This makes my previous statement a bit more unrelated to the anger over losing to a ringer team.

I still stand behind the idea that having a blast for 25 games is better than tanking and winning the playoffs, in general.

Also, I have the longest stick on my team but only score 1-2 goals a season so I agree that there is an inverse relationship between stick length and goals scored.(*)

(*) I am a short defensemen and instead use my large, hockey stick-shaped club to knock the puck away from forwards coming into the zone.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Zip! posted:

So on Saturday I get the pleasure of driving 3 hours to Blackpool (a shithole of a seaside town) to play an exhibition beer league game in a rink smaller than my back yard and http://m.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/one-off-return-for-seagull-star-bruce-1-5529638 :catstare:

That's one awesome, old-school-hockey-lookin' picture.
I love the vacant stares and mismatched helmets.

Be sure to get Miss Blackpool Kim Braithwaite's autograph.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

Oh oops, I missed the "total" word. I read it as if it were $400 a person. :v:

Perhaps if the Senators were still using it at the time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

So my oldest son is almost three, and he's expressed interest in skating. Having started playing when I was 21, I know approximately zero about the logistics of getting kids on the ice. The advice I've gotten so far is to buy him a helmet and let him walk around on skates for a while. This presents a few questions, not the least of which is: Is the best way really just to head to public skate and drop $10 to watch him walk around on rental skates for 20 minutes?

Anyone done this kind of thing before? I want to make sure he doesn't have a crappy time of it.

Kids will fall and the real trick isn't teaching them to skate...it's teaching them to get back up again.

I went through a ton of face-to-face, holding-both-hands with my son. This worked well until he got a bit more confident on his feet. The nice part about this approach is that you can gently adjust the amount of support you offer as he gets stronger, or switch to traditional holding hands. I also kept talking about 'springy legs' once balance was well established.

Be ready for some tears but keep it fun and keep going to open skate times. I got serious resistance leaving the house but once we got in a pattern, it became a thing that we do on Fridays and not an option. Put in some rewards like a special backpack or a hat to wear only on the ice or a special water bottle for 'skating boys'

Also, once the kids can stand/waddle on their own. It gets a bit harder. I brought a stuffed bunny out and would 'drop' him about 3 feet in front my son. I think it's critical to get new skaters to stop thinking about skating and start having fun. Another game is when the bunny got tucked into my back pocket and kids would try to 'steal-the-bunny' by chasing me slowly around the rink. We must have looked like we were having a blast because parents started asking me to teach their kids...and even a few sheepish adults.

Best of luck. It's an amazing feeling when you see them really skate for the first time.

EDIT: Completely missed the equipment portion of the post...sorry.

The skate rental at our rink was $5/session and it will take a lot more than 5 sessions to learn to skate. We hit play it again sports in town and got a set of $25 skates, something decent enough to not fall apart. No 3-4-5 year old needs CrazyLites or whatever. My son used his bike helmet and some bike kneepads until he was able to actually skate.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 30, 2013