Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Does anyone play in the Inland Empire in southern California and have an opinion on which of our three rinks has the best clinics/whatever for new players? I played about 10 years ago but I was a goalie so..I don't really know too much about skating or puck handling. So consider me a player with no experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Tadhg posted:

Once I'm over this pneumonia and my lungs have healed, I'm getting back into hockey as well. Looking over the area, I'm probably going to spend the most time at Ontario Center Ice until I move closer to L.A.
Yeah I played there when I was a kid, it's a nice place with a decent pro shop. Would you recommend taking these skating classes for hockey? It's been a long time and I never learned any of these fancy hockey maneuvers anyway.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'm taking lessons from a figure skater and it's been great.

The basic principles remain the same regardless irrespective of whether your skates have a toepick, so there is plenty you can learn no matter who your instructor is. I would imagine that as you get better at skating you'll start to require more hockey specific instruction, but that's relatively far down the road.

Having gone through this "return to the ice after a long break" business over the last couple months, I would suggest you start working on leg strength asap. The first month or so was crippling because I was using muscles I forgot I had.
Yeah I just started working out and I have a month or two of rehab before I can do something like vigorous skating. This place offers lessons from basic skating, a couple figure skating classes and one for hockey. It's like 100 bucks for 8 sessions and they throw you on the ice and figure out where to start teaching you. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

D C posted:

Wait, 'as a kid'? How old are you? I played there the first year it opened (for the Senators) and part of the year after that.

[edit] Oh poo poo just realized that was like 9 or 10 years ago, I'm gettin old.
Yeah I think I was messin around there about ten years ago or whenever it opened. I'm 21 now. I never really got down with the Senators or any of those teams, I was just playing in rec leagues.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Three part question here. I've been looking at skates and from what I can see as far as quality, price and what not I have my eye on the Reebok 7K. Anyone have any experience with this skate? Second, I'm having trouble finding a pair in my size and I might have to order online. I'm about a 10.5 in shoes but I have a wide foot. If I'm able to find some other Reebok's, like say 11Ks or whatever and they fit me...would it be safe to assume a 7K of the same size would fit? So far I've called hockey monkey and hockey giant. I don't know what other shops are around here, any suggestions?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

If you can wait another month or so to buy skates, I'd suggest that. The new model year is about to come out, which is why inventory at most stores is so lovely right now. Towards the end of April, those same stores are going to be overrun by brand new skates.
Well that's absolutely loving depressing. I don't want to wait but given that nobody really has anything in my size I might have to. When the new models come out I should probably expect to pay around 300 for the 7Ks, or what?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh, I figured there was already a price drop figured in because the new models are coming and there aren't many lying around. The list price on most sites is 290.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Vigilance posted:

How about just relax and try to have fun instead of getting worked up over a bad call in a beer league game?

Failing that, use that anger as motivation when you get out of the box instead of flipping out as you go to the box and getting more penalties / on the bad side of the ref.
I think the conversation has diverged from flipping out on the ref to politely asking what he felt you did wrong.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Somebody needs to go to grad school and write their dissertation on this.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

Clearly this is the only correct answer.

:canada:
Don Cherry would use it.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

(I think of the flashy style of skates, Reebok looks the best. CCM looks pretty douchey, everyone else has way too much chrome. Why doesn't anyone make a plain black skate anymore? Even Graf has the stupid neon green accents all over the place)
The supreme line is indeed pretty much black. If you're really ballin they have a special edition that IS all black. Also, I do remember us discussing our unusually wide feet at one point, and it is supposed to run wider all the way down the boot than most other brands (not that I verified any of that information). I would check out some supremes.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

All the hockey store sales kids I talk to say Bauer runs narrower than Reebok. :iiam:

Once the new shipment comes in I'm going to the biggest store in the area, and ain't leaving until I've tried every skate in the store.
Well like I said I never really put out an effort to verify that information. You on the other hand, have a golden opportunity.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

coldwind posted:

Not trying to be judgemental, but how do you have an interest in hockey that long and never learn these things?
It is odd because I always thought interest in the NHL came naturally with interest in hockey.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Besides, couldn't you just invest the ludicrous price of the fenders into getting a better skate that gives more protection without looking ridiculous?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

This is more to protect the top of the foot/tongue area which there isnt anything there to protect you from a shot. Maybe a piece of plastic and the padding on the tongue. The guy that broke his foot was wearing X:60s he wasn't exactly wearing low end skates. Took the shot clean on the front/top part of the skate.
Skate fenders it is then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

I never said you had to get them lol. Just saying what they were for. If you've ever taken a shot to the foot I'm sure it hurts. I have had some blocks on the side of my skates that hurt so I could imagine a straight hit to the tongue/top foot area would do some damage.
Not at all I was just saying I understand their usefulness now, regardless of how silly they look.