Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Cheezymadman posted:

Getting hit in the nuts:

Pros: No kids
Cons: Hurts like a bitch

Sounds like a wash to me.

You can take away that pro with a quick visit to the man with the snips (or by wearing a condom), but getting your balls smashed will always suck severely.

Also, high-impact trauma to the groin can temporarily or possibly permanently impair your ability to get/sustain an erection or deliver the goods. Not to mention the temporary blackout and up to a week in painkiller-induced lala-land.

TLDR: ball-smashing bad, solid cup = good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

this.

Refs talk and they will give teams a reputation, especially the worse the ref. If I get a call against me that I think is utter bullshit (happens a lot in C/D league) I ask them what they saw and how, if at all, i might change my tactics in the future to still play hard but not get the call. "Oh, ok cool. So from where you were, it looked like I hooked him? No worries. Now, is it OK if I play the body a little bit or can I play his stick?"

It honestly doesn't change my play much, but it let's me know where the ref's head is at, and it gets him on my side.

Give respect. Get respect.

Basically this (note I'm not a hockey ref, but this is pretty general among all sports). poo poo on the ref, they'll poo poo on you back twice as hard with a :smug: expression. Be nice to them and they'll be nice back ... or at least not poo poo on you as hard.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Is flamingo where they dodge out of the way of an incoming slapper?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Zettace posted:

Yeah, playing goalie in a lot of sports is pretty tough. I personally never blame the goalie and always try to keep the morale up. Blaming the goalie is always a bad idea since a goalie without confidence is pretty much useless and in hockey, a goal against almost always means someone in front hosed up.

I once played against team with a decent goalie who was having a bad day. It was 2-2 at the mid point in the game and my team scored a softie on the goalie. This goal was immediate met with their team giving their own goalie poo poo and there was still lots of time in the game. That was the breaking point for the goalie and we finished the game with 11-5 as almost every shot went in after that.

I play goalie in futsal/football and floorball, and my internal monologue is "Oh? A goal was scored? Why wasn't my defense covering it?". It works well except for absolute howlers. e: And penalties, but I rationalise those by the shooter being expected to score, and any saves I make ruining their day. :D

Incidentally, if any of you guys are looking for a summer sport, give floorball a try. It's great for cardio, you keep your hand-eye (stick-puck/ball) coordination, and most everything translates directly across (key points are no checking, and no deliberate stick-on-stick contact). (Floorball Canada, USA Floorball)

e: Marty, let me know if this isn't appropriate and I'll remove it. (I can't play ice hockey since the nearest rink is ~400km away and on a different island, so I play floorball instead. :()

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Rutkowski posted:

Floorball is awesome and for new players it's really cheap. A decent stick can be found for cirka 30 bucks(cirka 60-80 for semipro stuff, a pro friend of mine is sponsored but would have to pay cirka 150 bucks for each stick) and a good pair of indoor sneakers.

Don't underestimate the amount of power in the game at the lower levels though. Accidental collisions are aplenty and that's how I recieved my concussion.

At a beginner level of floorball, really any stick works, as long as it's sized appropriately and not broken -- note that for ice hockey players where you might be used to a stick coming up to your nose/chin, the floorball stick length is more typically around your navel area. (I play with a longer stick since I'm a defenseman)

The semi-pro/pro sticks trade off less weight for decreased durability -- the kickpoint-style wavy-shaft sticks (the big-$$$ ones) are really only useful if you already have a powerful shot and want to add that 1-2% extra to it.

The physicality of floorball depends on the interpretation by your refs - here we play that if two players both see each other and go shoulder-to-shoulder that's fine - using your body to blindside someone, or non-shoulder-to-shoulder contact or *any* head contact is an immediate penalty.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

For another warmup exercise, a variation on 2-on-1's:

- Defenders line up at the blue line, forwards make two groups at either side of the goal line (a pile of pucks with each group).
- One forward passes to the defender, who takes a shot at the net (slapper if he can, otherwise wrist/snap - key thing is not to gently caress around with it, one touch at most before taking the shot). Getting it on net >> power/aiming for a corner.
- Defender goes to the front of the net. Both forwards move up the wall to about the top of the circles (the forward who didn't pass to the D should be carrying a puck).
- From there play it as a standard 2-on-1.

If you want to be extra dicky to your defenders, you can have your centres on the blueline somewhere too, and make it a 3-on-1.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Diverting slightly to floorballchat for a moment, I pulled out probably my all-time greatest goalie bail-out tonight. Our goalie was playing ridiculously aggressively, and he made the first save and the second save but was about 5 feet out of position for the re-rebound. Their forward has an empty net to shoot at from the slot, and puts a solid one at the centre of the net, with the ball about 2 feet off the ground.

Enter me, stage right. I was hustling back from the far corner, reach across from way outside the far post, and with the ball about six inches from crossing the line, one hand my stick like it ain't no thang, I get the blade on the ball (in the goddamn air) and send the rebound right into my goalie's hands. :smugdog: The forward that took the shot was the living impersonation of :smith:.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Guys, I need some advice. (This is for floorball, but it's more about team dynamics and poo poo.)

A few friends of mine are putting in a team to a grade that's above the one I play in, but I got word tonight they want to put me on the wing (to get a bigger more physical guy on D). I've played defense the entire time I've been playing (have filled in a few times as goalie too). Another team in the higher grade has asked if I'm available to play goalie, and I'm a bit conflicted. I feel a bit like my friends are keeping me on the team so I don't get butthurt by being excluded (or they're too nice to say "you're not up to speed, deal with it"). I know for myself I'm not going to be at all effective moving up a grade and playing forward - I'm straight-up going to be a liability (or, even more of one than I'd already be :downsrim:).

I guess the logical thing here is to grab the captain of my friends team, and just say to him "I've been asked to play goalie for another team and I'm not confident in my ability to step up and play wing. Is it going to bother you if I swap teams?".

Beer league sport. Serious business yo. (Oh, additional complicating factor: me and these friends - we basically are the organisers for these leagues, and this team we're pitching is, essentially, just to make up the numbers to make the upper league viable. :v:)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thel posted:

<<snip: guff about me being not up to speed for a higher league in floorball>>

Followup from months ago: Scored an absolute beauty* of a solo goal tonight (first-ever non-practice goal). On the forecheck, stripped the ball off one defender, deked the other defender with a drag-back and slammed it top corner. :feelsgood: :getin:

* This is an entirely objective opinion here. :v:

You guys were all correct too - it hasn't been an issue that I'm the worst player on the team and I'm learning shitloads about the game by pushing myself to not suck.

Thel fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 18, 2012

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Cringe-worth injury story time: Playing floorball last night (relevant: no protective gear in floorball, except for goalies), I went in for a tackle along the boards (other dude was coming straight down the boards, I was moving toward him at about a 45° angle to the boards). My stick jams against his foot just as he kicks the ball past me - the other end of the stick lands up in my groin.

Yeah, I basically stopped from running full speed via spearing myself in the nads. :( Cue me lying on the floor for ~2 minutes before I can gather myself and crawl (more like earthworm-slide) the three meters to get off the rink.

No permanent damage, just bruising. Turns out I didn't actually hit square on, but I did hit bone.

What's your worst story?

fe: This post brought to you by the combined power of ibuprofen and paracetamol. Incidentally, you guys would probably know - what's the risk if I ignore the "max 6 tabs per day" on the box? I'm popping two at a time at the moment (also have an inflamed/erupting wisdom tooth) and they only last four hours or so.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

To echo everyone else, just hustle. Nobody cares how bad you are as long as you're trying. It's stick'n'puck not pro hockey. (Anyone who gives you poo poo for being bad is a douchebag and can be ignored.)

I assume you're playing wing? If so, you can be 50% of a useful defensive winger just by being between your defender and the goal. On offense, depending on your team's skill level, either chase the puck around with everyone else, or try and get open to receive a pass.

And yeah, skating clinic. Go do that.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Meh. poo poo happens. Thankfully, one of my teammates had an extra cup I could borrow. The next day I bought a jock that now lives in my bag. Go and do likewise, gentlemen. Go and do likewise.

You don't air it out? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

YeehawMcKickass posted:

It's a certain amount of crazy, from what I've gathered. I'm wanting to try it, so my level of crazy.

Not quite Pole Vaulter crazy. Pole vaulters have a death wish. Source: seven different pole vaulters.

Goalies start off crazy. Then you add repeated head impacts and you land up with Ron Hextall.