Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

dms666 posted:

Any advice on trying to learn to stop on ice? Been trying the last few weeks at public skates with not much luck. Got just about everything else down pretty good from playing inline for over a year now

Get elbow pads, knee pads, and a helmet and just try not to be afraid of looking like an idiot.

A good way to kind of get a feel is to practice it on dry land, getting a tiny bit of speed and sort of jumping sideways and landing with your feet together. A lot of the wiping out stuff on ice comes from not lifting the feet up at all at first and just making what amounts to a sharp left or right turn and then putting too much pressure at one end of your feet, thus causing your feet not to dig in but to keep going.

So snowplowing, courage, and knowing what the movement is and the balance of weight on your feet from dry land is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Man I miss hockey so much. I think I'm going to start playing again soon.

Maybe it's just laziness but in the OP it says don't get used to dull blades. I always liked my blades just a tad dull for comfort. Is anyone else like this?

e: also will kill for old TPS rubber senior sticks :smith:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I know you're a Rangers fan so if that means you're in the Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens area let me know because I have a D3 team looking for one or two more players for the next season, playing at City Ice Pavilion (LIC). If you can play D at all you win a roster spot.

Unfortunately I'm in Tennessee :/. Okposolypse/a false/chocolate thunder/ a few other dudes are in the area if you want to ask them.

Also, for sock chat, I generally wear just thin dress socks. Argyle and polka dot for true warriors.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

I just got an email about a pretty sweet deal from the Predators:

Get an hour of icetime at Bridgestone arena plus 40 tickets to a weekday preds game for $1000. I bet playing on the big-time ice would be fun.

Maybe it's because the ice at the Coliseum and the Icearium in Knoxville is mediocre, but Bridgestone's ice is like driving on the salt flats. So drat fast and nice. I would really recommend it if you can get other dudes to do it.