Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

All 3 leagues I've played in provide 1 jersey for you. Usually they don't conflict with the other team's color since they plan that out ahead. That's not always the case though, and sometimes you have to wear a very dirty pinny above your regular jersey for those games.

But I know some rinks require all their teams to figure out their own jersey needs, but I suspect thats the exception rather than the general rule. If you're signing up as a free agent and the rink assigns you, you're probably getting a rink jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Hockey Giant has a bunch of entry level one piece composite sticks on sale today for $40. http://www.hockeygiant.com/20110330hg.html

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

D C posted:

Beer league is 50% sexual innuendo names.

Busty Shafts, Donkey Punch, Cleveland Steamers ect.
One of the guys at my rink is forming a team called Ice-2-Mouth.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

For anyone in New York, World Ice Arena has dropped their league prices in order to attract more players. It's $3500 for a team ($3000 if you pay by May 30th), and $300 for a free agent. That makes it one of the cheapest leagues in the area. Definitely can use more guys as we only have 4 teams in a single division, and there's an overabundance of goalies. Check out their facebook page if you're interested: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/World-Ice-Arena-Adult-Hockey/155183504499942

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Finally used my GoPro at the rink last week for open hockey. Still thinking about whether I'll wear it during league games. Not the most thrilling since I don't typically score goals. The one shot I have at the end is the only shot I got that entire night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bleeQ79kTT8

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Biggest problem for me switching back and forth between roller and ice is stopping in roller. For at least the first game back in awhile, I attempt to stop and go flat on my face in roller. Then if I don't play ice for awhile, my stops are really crap.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Had 2 inline games this week. The team we put together has been struggling all season as we seem to have difficulty playing as a single unit. I'm sure we'll get better as time goes on though. I just wish we could win a drat game though, and I really thought we were going to get 2 wins this week.

The first game was good. Both teams were equally matched with goals back and forth. They sealed it during the last minute when they scored to go up by 2.

The second game was completely one-sided due to the other team having a ringer from the top division. Keep in mind we're in the lowest of the 4 divisions. The guy would dance around everyone, and then if you body him, he would knock you over. He scored 7 out of their 11 goals. Through all the seasons I've played, I have never lost to this team before, and they have never had more than 1 win any season.

I took video as well with the gopro on my helmet. Watching it again makes me realize how ridiculous it was playing against the guy from the first division. Can't even imagine how that would be fun for him.

First game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXgFo7PuSM

Second game, the ringer is #8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlL6Kq3QQtw

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Verman posted:

That rink looks really smooth but how is it playing on wood? I've always played on sport court which allows you to hockey stop to a degree, but the wood seems like it would be sticky.
Same as D C said, it's smooth, but very sticky. You can't hockey stop at all unless you use hard outdoor wheels. I use soft wheels myself since I'm too lazy to buy a different pair, but it helps with having really good turning control.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My team was in danger of falling 0-8, and my hopes for the next 2 games aren't that high either, but we got our first win tonight........by forfeit! And not regular forfeit circumstances either, but rather some idiot on the other team took a baseball style sing at our goalie's head during the last 30 seconds, which led to a melee.

All their guys on the bench jumped onto the rink, whereas our team stayed on the bench. After separating things, the refs deemed their team to not have enough players to continue (clock had expired during the melee), and we won by forfeit even though the score was 11-5 in their favor.

So we're 1-7. Technically we still have a chance of going to the playoffs if we win the next 2 games...funny that way.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

lazerwolf posted:

Does anyone have a good link or some info on good positioning and plays? I feel my hockey sense is decent but not great

I suggestion picking up the book Hockey Plays and Strategies http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Plays-and-Strategies-ebook/dp/B003C2SP4Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313180927&sr=8-3 It was written by two coaches who worked with the Canadian national team and the various NHL organizations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I can also vouch for IceGuys and ProPucks. Both are great, albeit expensive. They move on pavement very similarly to how a puck does on the ice.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

If anyone in the NY&LI area is interested in playing, a bunch of guys dropped out from my ice team. The rink is World Ice Arena in Flushing Meadows Park, right next to the USTA National Tennis Center. Fall season runs mid-September through mid-December, 12 games plus playoffs. Shoot me a message if interested.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I've been waiting a year for the new Easton stick to come out figuring the S19 would drop in price and I could grab that on the cheap. So what happens when the new RS gets released? Of course, the S19 doesn't get cheaper, they just make the RS more expensive. :pwn:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

ManicJason posted:

Anyone play hockey out in Vegas? I just accepted a job offer there.
A friend of mine has a cousin who plays in a roller hockey league in Vegas, so they at least have that. Not sure where the rink is though,

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I put together a team this season and our first game was tonight. It was a total bitch finding enough guys and then coordinating payments, transportation, etc, but it all paid off when we won 7-5! It's been a long time since a legit win too, so it feels extra special. Glad I had the forethought to pack a cooler full of beers to the locker room also.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Someone pointed out to me last night that my team has 3 games next week. Figure in my other league, and I've got 4 straight nights of games, Sunday through Wednesday. I was worried I would miss a lot of the schedule cause I fly out for vacation on Thursday for 2 weeks. But after a run like this, I think I'll need a 2 week break just to recover.

Worse yet, a guy on both my teams is also part of a third league. That means he has 5 games next week!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

5'6" and I wear 14" Easton Sealth S1's. I wear the tongue underneath the shin pad. I've tried wearing it over and under, but it just felt right that way.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Has anyone ever been benched before in a beer league? I joined what I thought was a beer league, but apparently everyone is super serious about winning and complete hot heads. It's a new outdoor roller league in a rink at a public park. I knew a few people who were joining, and it was only $30 for the season, so I joined in too. I'm also in an ice and another roller league, which are casual but competitive, so I thought this would be similar.

Every game has so far featured fights, constant arguing, ample racial slurs, and physical play. I was lucky enough to get drafted onto one of the top 2 teams. Looks like about 80% of the team played with one another since they were kids, and they're pretty good together. I'll also admit I'm no Gretzky, as I haven't scored a goal in a year.

Anyway it finally happened where we got down by a bunch of goals in the first period. Now I typically don't get many shifts, and certainly not the 5+ minutes most of the guys push, but after that first period it was announced that only the top guys would keep going out so we could get back into the game. I'm all for putting out your best players in order to have a better chance at winning, but this was ridiculous. This is a regular season game too, and we're mid-way through the season, and it was against a team 2 positions lower than us. Real important game...right.

I got 1 more 30 second shift, which we scored on too. Then I sat for the remainder of the game. The same thing happened for 2 other guys with me. Obviously we lost, otherwise maybe they would have been willing to let us on. At this point I'm just debating if I even bother showing up for the remainder of the season.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Actually went to see my old team play tonight, and made me feel awful because they're so unbelievably good this year. Damnit, I should have signed up with them.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I played the #1 team twice in the past week. They always run plays in our zone where the puck carrier switches places with one of the other forwards to confuse our defensive coverage. Any suggestions with to do against this? So far we've continued to play our zone coverage, but frequently that leaves the puck carrier with more speed than the d-man and he can get a shot off. Is it better to do man-to-man coverage in this scenario?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My team's record keeps getting worse, but our post-game beer consumption keeps increasing. Ended the season 2-10-0 last night. Playoff game next week. Considering we just dropped 3 games to the team we face, things are not looking so good.

Also a guy on another team got injured this season in a game against us. I was out sick for that game, but everyone said he tripped near the net and hit the boards on his back pretty hard. He had to be taken out on a stretcher to the hospital. This was about 6 weeks ago. Confirmed with the rink manager last night that the guy is now paralyzed with no movement in his limbs, and he had spinal surgery. Supposedly he will undergo rehab at some point in the future, which might mean he'll walk again. Crazy stuff for a beer league since I never expected to see that happen.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

One of the guys brought his 4 year old kid to the pick-up game this weekend and we skated 5.5-on-5. The kid had as many shots on goal as I did....

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Got the new Eagle PFX gloves. They're the "low end" of the Eagle line, but have a lot of high end features. Wore them for the first time in game last night, and they didn't need any breaking in. Completely soft and comfortable with a nice snug fit. Really glad I got them as my old gloves were so worn they would chafe my hands, scrape my thumb joint on slappers, and didn't provide great protection.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My team finally won it's first game in 3 seasons of playing with one another this past Sunday. Although we won once last season since the other team had to forfeit. It was a great decisive 9-6 win also.

We had another game last night again a team of free agents. 75% of their goals comes from 1 single guy. We were shutting him down and eventually held him to only 1 goal all game, but still lost 8-6 with them scoring an empty netter at the end. Almost tied it up, but we were sloppy with a lot of penalties which killed us.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

bewbies posted:

http://www.icehockeyworld.com/products/Easton-Synergy-EQ50-Grip-Senior-Hockey-Stick.html

That right there is the best deal on sticks I've seen in a long time. 2 weeks after I bought new ones. :(

Seriously, buy that if you need a stick, they don't get any better than that.
Is this site legit? I've never heard of them before. I'm guessing it's fairly new.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

So my local rink hung up a flag for Mexico the other day, next to the US and Canadian flags.

Is this a thing now? Does hockey even exist in Mexico?

They also added an Illinois flag, which also doesn't make a whole ton of sense to me as I'm pretty sure only national anthems are played.

But it's not like I'm offended or anything, it just seemed like a totally random addition.
The IIHF U20 tournament happened in Mexico City last year:
http://www.iihf.com/channels1011/wm20/news/news-singleview-wm20/article/hockey-fiesta-in-mexico.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3UGAnOaSI

But really no, Mexico is a non-entity as far as hockey goes. They would be better off hanging the flag of Latvia.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I had 15 skaters on my team last season purely for financial reasons, and that was about 2 guys too many. 13 is the sweet spot as you still have enough guys on the bench when people can't make the game.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

cenzo posted:

I find that's nearly impossible to do in roller, at least for me. Whenever I try it I normally wind up coming to a full stop and need to hustle my rear end in the other direction skating forward.

This might be 100% because I'm a giant oaf on skates.

Side note: Lazer -- do you know what Play It Again's used skate stock is like in Cherry Hill? I want to pick up a cheap-o pair for outdoor, getting really tired of swapping wheels, but the one in Hamilton Square by my work had nothing over size 6.

You can definitely do it in roller. That video makes it seem hard because he's actually doing like a semi-hockey stop before rotating his hips. I prefer making a tight turn and then rotating my hips, as it helps save momentum. Definitely a pain in the rear end maneuver to get down at first because rotating your hips quick like that is draining.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Had a great game last night with a hilarious finish. We were down by 1 goal with a minute left, pulled our goalie for the extra skater, but the other team got the puck and scored an empty netter. But the refs disallowed the goal because the other team had an extra skater on too! This meathead on the other team who was cherry picking all night jumped on the ice when we pulled our goalie for some reason.

There were only 12 seconds left since they wouldn't put time back on the clock, so we pulled the goalie for a 6-on-4 faceoff in the neutral zone. We win the puck and one of our guy's who spent the entire night dangling way too much, and not shooting enough, gets on a breakaway. Dangles right in front of the goalie of course, top shelf backhand goal with no space whatsoever to tie it up with 4 seconds left. It was sick.

There's no OT in my league this season, so we settled for 1 point split. We actually had the exact same thing happen to us last week, but on the receiving end where we coughed up lead with 7 seconds left.

I also scored my first league goal in about a year in that game too. Puck trickled out to point, I had a terrible weak wrister bounce along the ice. The goalie was completely screened and it went in. I think I've scored most of my goals like that actually.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I know a guy who brings his stuff in black trash bags to games. Making us all look like fools with such a cheaper option.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Does anyone know where I can find all weather replacement netting for a goal? I bought an EZ Goal with a rebounder about a year and a half ago, and the netting disintegrated last year. Supposedly a known issue with their netting.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Zettace posted:

How about fish net netting? I would think that would stand the elements quiet well. I have no idea how much it'll cost though.
Found some on Amazon that fits the description perfectly. Looks like they even make some for sports specifically.

http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Nets-Backstop-Hockey-Barrier/dp/B002754T44/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

I'll have to take their word on the quality though as I don't know poo poo about netting. Either way it's cheaper than buying it from EZGoal, and I can just cut it down to size. I like their description: Great for hockey, lacrosse, golf, and weddings!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Verman posted:

Anyone want to feel terrible at hockey? This kid is 9 years old and plays with the rest of the team. I think this team play is better than most adult leagues I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcGi_PIbzA&feature=watch_response

Ignore the poo poo out of the terrible eastern Eurotrash soundtrack.
The kid is definitely playing good, but the other team just has awful defensive coverage.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Won the championship last night in a sweep of the best-of-three series. We were also dead last by a far margin last season, so it's a huge jump. Though to be fair, for this season the rink decided to do a draft. We retained 5 guys, and everyone else was all new. It was a great season and everyone on the team was a strong player. I've won a championship before, but this is by far the best overall team I've been on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

D C posted:

WHOLE TEAM OF RINGERS
We're cheap and I spent the money on beer instead.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Has anyone participated in one of the Can/Am tournaments? http://www.canamhockey.com/

Seeing as how the Labatt pond hockey stuff sells out in apparently 15 minutes, I started looking at other options. Only reason I know about this is a guy I met at a bar recommended it, which is always a good start for hockey. A weekend in Vegas or AC with a tournament sounds good to me. They also have a pond hockey tournament too. I have no clue what Double or Triple means for their player sign-up though.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

At the roller rink in the park near me some guys don't wear any protection other than gloves, especially in the summer when it's hot. There's also a few people I've seen with no gloves, but that's just cause they're noobs. I myself don't wear a helmet, but at least realize how stupid I am.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Teeter posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Easton pads? The Synergy line in particular. Most of the stuff I've been eyeing is excluded from the sale but I managed to find a cart full of Easton stuff that is discounted. It's a pretty good deal so I'm considering pulling the trigger for my first set of pads.

I've seen the EQ30 and EQ50 stuff, and you're armored up like Robocop. Probably can take a bullet and live. I wear Stealth S1 pads (circa 2008), and considering that was on their low end, it's held up really well.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

sellouts posted:

When we won we treated it like any other win, shook hands, then took a few fun pictures.

The other team sent over the bottle of champagne that they brought (as is tradition in our league) and we used our league provided championship mugs to drink it.

Pretty much the same when my team won last season. I think it was about the same celebration level as a close OT win, plus a trophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Do you guys have any suggestions for what to do when you have an uneven amount of guys for lines? Like let's say you have 7 or 8 forwards.

Typically for forwards I've always done revolving door style, where people just change with whoever comes off. But I feel this isn't good because the lines just get all scrambled, and there's always some guy who uses it as an excuse to stay out for 10 minute shifts. But if you keep official lines everyone can get used to each others style, and it's easy to keep tabs on shift length.

Recently in one game we had 7 forwards, and the "extra" guy would switch off with a guy on a line every other shift, and that guy would be different each time. Essentially a line of 4 people. The order it went for him was: Sit Shift Out, Play LW, Sit Shift, Play Center, Sit Shift, Play RW, and repeat. Then he would move to another line for the second period.

I felt this was better since it kept the lines mostly the same, and distributed the sitting between more guys evenly. But it does sort of screw the extra guy who ends up taking less shifts than the others.