Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

bewbies posted:

That hollow is measured in fractions of an inch, and typical hollows range from 1/4 “ all the way up to 7/8”. The larger the number, the deeper the hollow. A deeper hollow causes the skate to “bite” more into the ice, a lower hollow bites less and glides more.

Isn't this backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Yeet posted:

Aw hell yeah! ...how would one start out playing goalie? Back in my highschool days I played a poo poo ton of pick up games with friends and I always played goalie. I had my own cheap pads, catcher and blocker, it was so much fun. That was all roller hockey, and I'm not opposed to roller hockey now. The good news the one roller hockey league I've contacted are really desperate for goalies and even sent out a mass email saying they'd waive game fees for goalies.

We have a goalie thread where you can find some good info. I don't think there's a step by step guide like this thread, but there's some good info scattered throughout.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

trilljester posted:

My friend who is a goalie has told me that backhanders are some of the hardest to stop because you can't gauge the release point very well. Keep that in mind.

This is the absolute truth. Never be afraid to shovel a backhander on net from places where a forehand shot has almost no chance of scoring. Even if the goalie stops it, rebound control is harder if you don't read the shot well right away. It helps that goalies aren't expecting a shot if the player's forehand isn't pointed in an attack position.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Some of the best advice I got about questioning a ref's call was about catching a baseball game, but it applies to hockey as well. You don't ask where the pitch missed right after you caught it; you wait until the end of the inning or between batters. If you wait between periods to ask, the ref will be a lot less defensive and you'll probably be less of an rear end in a top hat.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

There has been exactly one time in my goalie career where I actually misjudged a puck because I lost it on black tape. It freaked me out, but never happened again that I've noticed.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

coldwind posted:

"That you've noticed" is the key word there. I've heard that the longer your eye rests on the puck before it's fired, the quicker you'll be able to react and make the save. If it's taking you a half-second to pick up the puck against the black backdrop of the tape, it could negatively effect your reaction time.

Of course, there really isn't an easy way to measure this, so it's all speculation.

The thing is that I noticed the puck disappeared before the dude even shot it. I'd think that if I had slightly misjudged a puck because of black tape 100 times, I'd have noticed at least 20 times before a shot. I think it was really just one freak thing from a specific angle.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

coldwind posted:

Make sure to invite the goalies. If we can also get some results on white-base pads we might be able to get two publications out of this :).

Dammit, I was about to jump in with that. Goalies wear white/black/Fleury yellow pads each period.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

SAS Hockey Player Thread: Listen to Iron Maiden

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Sometimes you can get a spot on your foot that swells up one time, then keeps itself going for a long time. I have a spot on the back of my foot that likes to swell up, causing it to be more irritated the next time I skate, causing it to swell up.

No idea about lace bite.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

My team won my last game by 10 goals. With a few seconds left, their goalie came way out to contest a 50-50 puck. My teammate cleanly got there first, took the puck around their goalie, and shot it in from almost no angle along the boards. The other team's hothead defender absolutely crushed him against the boards behind the net a few seconds after the puck went in.

No one did anything. The defender got immediately thrown out, but no one retaliated on either side. I couldn't believe it.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

In all my leagues the ringers just sign in as other people. No one's IDing.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'd follow him around away from the play and just lift his stick over and over, even if it's not on the ice.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

xzzy posted:

It was so muggy here in Chicago today that there was a fog on the rink. :tinfoil:

It was so thick you couldn't see the opposite crease while behind the net.

I think more hockey games should be played in fog because it looked awesome. Made me wish I had my camera with me.

One of my favorite hockey memories was one time I was the only goalie at an adult learn to play clinic. The fog was so thick you could barely see center ice. The guys were doing a skating drill around the circles at the other end, then would come in on a breakaway from half ice. I'd be standing there by myself, then a dark figure would emerge from the fog to challenge my net. After the shot, they'd disappear back into the fog. Very surreal.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Circling instead of stopping is common in any new ice player, whether they came from roller or not.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

toxicsunset posted:

I curl in the offensive zone because I feel like it's more efficient to redirect momentum instead of stop/starting. Also I thought, when changing direction to start a breakout, you were SUPPOSED to curl so you give the D-man a longer window to feed you the breakout pass easily
It's definitely true that you are not supposed to stop/start 100% of the time. If you're expecting a pass quick direction changes are obviously a mistake. On turnovers and on defense is when you see inexperienced players looping around a lot when they should be stopping and starting.

The saying goes something like offense is about smooth transitions and defense is all stops and starts (especially PK).

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I thought everywhere did shootouts now. Everywhere I've played has gone straight into a 3 or 5 round shootout at the end of a regulation tie.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

If it was ice, you'd all still be there today.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

One dude on my team has to be around 65 and once ran a triathlon the morning before one of our games. I don't understand.

One game a douche on the other team got knocked over by said old dude, turned around to talk poo poo, saw the grey beard, and just lowered his head in shame and skated away.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

One dude in a beginner league I played in wore no shield and took a clearing attempt to the face that ramped up off his stick. He lost an eye.

Dude lost an eye in an adult newbie league.

His entire team wears full shields now, including himself when he was back playing in three weeks.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Anyone play hockey out in Vegas? I just accepted a job offer there.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Some brief googling found two rinks with a few more teams than where I am currently (Richmond, VA). I was curious if any goons happened to be out there.

Here's hoping Vegas doesn't make goalies pay like they do in Richmond!

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

And I haven't played roller ever. I feel like goalies should be paid substantial amounts of money to play roller. Screw that.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I've been on two teams that have a strict beer schedule handed out at the start of each season.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

cenzo posted:

I'm about 80% sure our goalie leaves his stuff in his bags. I don't even skate near him anymore because his poo poo is rank. I think it's some kind of psychological thing he's doing to the other team. I hope.

Goalie smell defense: I immediately unpack everything from my bag and hang it up. My gloves and skates go on a glove/shoe drying machine that blasts heated, ionized air into them for three hours. My gloves still smell like rear end and are slimy if they're used the next day.

We're not automatically lazy slobs because our gear smells :(

edit: My solution: move to a desert. It's going to be so nice to be able to throw all my poo poo outside and have it insta dry.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I haven't played much up north in five or six years, but Fairfax used to be poo poo, especially for hockey. Reston was much, much nicer and had more hockey. Ashburn is also nice if you're out that way.

Richmond has two full size rinks, one west in Short Pump and one south of the river in Chesterfield. It looks like there's a decent amount of pickup both places during the holiday weeks.

edit: Totally forgot about Kettler, the Capitals practice rink in Arlington. Supposed to be very nice, though I've never had a chance to check it out. I moved before it was built.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2011

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Thufir posted:

it didn't look like they had locker rooms.

They certainly have locker rooms at every rink I've ever been to. The ones in Skatenation are sort of tucked away between the bleachers to the left.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

e: I don't know how it would even be possible to skate with an actual flat cut. Aren't goalie skates cut like this for lateral movement or something? The one time I played goalie, I fell on my face the first time I stepped foot on the ice wearing them.
No, not at all. It's a myth that goalies use dull skates. Modern butterfly goalies use pretty sharp skates to facilitate explosive pushes. I use 1/2" and could stand to go a bit sharper on my goalie skates.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Rookie mistake

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Obligatory response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429QFwN8Yy4

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

bigmike posted:

I don't even really care about the findings.

You sure post a lot of words about it for someone who doesn't care.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

it was likely actually illegal substitution (where the penalty is just a stoppage), but that requires a bit more context.
Wait, what? I would have argued to the death that there is no such thing apart from too many men. I still don't understand the difference despite googling and reading the rulebook. Example?

edit: I understand when play is dead. I hadn't heard of it before, but I also understand if the goalie goes back onto the ice after being pulled. Is there another situation where this is called during play?

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 21, 2012

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Dropped my stick and one of their d-men swatted it away to the corner with his stick. Dick. I thought that was supposed to be an unsportsmanlike or something for touching a stick on the ice :colbert:

I believe that's interference.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

As a goalie who has a normal over-the-shoulder bag and has mastered the art of squeezing it through single doors and narrow hallways, I'd just like to call all of you babies.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

D C posted:

They had a guy that kept throwing hits and playing rough, in the hand shake he purposefully pulled his hand away from mine, classy guy.
Any time I hear about/see this happen, I picture the first scene from this commercial and laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVHosYERMOY

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Fingers McGee posted:

During pickup Saturday one of the guys broke a puck in half after a slapper. No one claimed to have seen that before, have any of you?

Don't ask me why I have the specific game, but it happened in the NHL Washington at Phoenix on 10/23/08.

I used to run a Capitals highlight site and searched through the game descriptions

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

It's always best to talk to refs after everyone's cooled down. Skating up to a ref and yelling about a disallowed goal immediately afterward isn't going to do anything useful. Asking the ref between periods what they saw on the play is a different story. I don't think they mind too much if you then follow it up with, "No, that was definitely in," or something as long as you aren't arguing and drop it afterward.

I've always had a pretty good relationship with refs. I've had refs tell me that they blew a call after the game when I was polite about asking, and I'll generally tell them after the game or period if they blew a call that went in my favor.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk about being nice to refs. Playing goal, I went to shoot the puck back to center ice after a goal and hit a ref who came from out of nowhere behind me in the mouth with the follow through :sigh:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Aniki posted:

I do the same thing. I don't want to go back to the net to pick up my gear, though honestly, I only go through the handshake line out of obligation. It just feels like a waste of time and I've witnessed a couple fights break out during handshakes, so I think guys are better off getting off the ice and calming down instead of shaking hands while the game is still fresh in their minds.

I do the blocker punch as well. We're doing you guys a favor, trust us! :zombie:

In my game last week I had to take my goal mask and gloves off to find a puck wedged into my pads. I stood up, started putting the mask on, and heard the ref drop the puck behind me.

That's the first time I've had a ref apologize as I was screaming not so nice things in his face. Yeah, my center should have noticed and stayed out of the circle, but the ref was standing in my face when I took the mask off. At least my team won the draw.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Aniki posted:

There are only 11 sheets of ice in Phoenix (excluding big arenas like Jobbing.com)..
I... uh... only 11? I hate you so much.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I've never lived anywhere with more than two sheets within 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Man, I can't catch a break. 3 shootouts, 3 times getting the goalie down then putting it off the crossbar.

:smith:

Don't feel bad. As a goalie, I can assure you that the only reason you hit the crossbar was that you had nothing else to shoot at.