Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I got one of these Mylec things for my birthday http://www.amazon.com/Mylec-Modular-Shooting-System-White/dp/B000YIGXJU . It works ok but needs to be sprayed with something slick to keep the puck from constantly flipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I went to the 6 AM "Breakfast Club" drop-in hockey for the first time this morning and now I'm tired as poo poo and having a hard time getting anything done at work.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I was thinking it was a replacement, the old one had a good run and better to have one with an informative OP right?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

What's the point of having 2 threads?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I got most of my gear from Ice Warehouse and got free 2 day shipping. They're pretty great.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

bewbies posted:

Heads up to anyone on the market for skates: Bauer is preparing to release a new line of Vapor skates, and as a result just about everywhere has cut the price of the current Vapor line by between $100-200 depending on the pair. Great time to pick them up.

Looks like the new line is this:

With the lower levels being X4.0-7.0 and the top line ones being "Vapor APX"

Edit: and CCM is releasing these U+ Crazylight Ovie's

I guess it's the year of the ugly red skate.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 16, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

dms666 posted:

Any advice on trying to learn to stop on ice? Been trying the last few weeks at public skates with not much luck. Got just about everything else down pretty good from playing inline for over a year now

Work on snowplowing (heels out, inside edges scraping the ice) and then work on snowplowing while turning to one side with your weight shifting to that foot. Do it slow, you don't want to be suddenly digging your edges into the ice, more scraping with increasing pressure until you stop.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I keep bruising the poo poo out of my outside upper thigh by falling on it or banging it into the boards. Is this a problem that getting nicer pants would fix or do I need to learn to fall better or something? I have Vapor X:20 pants which have a hard plastic shell on the thighs with a tiny soft bit of foam underneath.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So apparently the team who won the league championship at my rink last night, subbed in a ringer from their higher-league team between the 1st and 2nd periods. As in, he was sitting in the stands watching the 1st. He's the second top scorer on their higher team.

He proceeds to score 3 goals in the 3rd to win the game. Classy.

Aren't there rules about submitting a roster before the game or something?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I have the cheapo Bauer Supreme bag. I think I'd like one a little bigger with at least one pocket but I'll probably stick with this one until it dies.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I took a puck deflection off the crossbar in the face tonight, thanks full cage!

Thufir fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 8, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Anyone know if Reebok outlet stores sell hockey stuff? I just noticed there's one near me. Seems pretty unlikely in Tennessee.

At my skills clinic this morning a goalie showed up late so I didn't see him without his gear on. I was thinking "man, this guy is giving up a ton of softies" then he took his mask off and he must have been like, 65 or something. Good for him, I'll be happy if I can still skate in my 60s.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Reebok outlets here in Pittsburgh barely even sell Penguins souvenir items. 99.9% of the store is shoes and lovely NFL stuff. The only hockey stuff is hats and leftover Winter Classic shirts/sweats (not even jerseys).

Thanks, I guess I'll skip going, don't need any Tennessee Titans Reebok onesies or whatever.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

So I made a go of this at lunch, and think I need more details. Does this practice come from a book I can buy, or is there a youtube somewhere that illustrates the exercise?

I'm just not sure where my balance should be. If the "(" curve is supposed to be done on my right foot, as I suspect it is, my balance still needs a lot of work because I took a number of spills trying to get it right. Either due to balancing on the wrong part of the foot, or bad posture, whatever.

I'm fine with falling down, but I want to be sure it's due to needing practice and not due to doing it completely wrong.

Yeah, you're supposed to do the ( curve on your right foot to work the outside edge. Here's a sort-of extreme example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5v8-Na8vI&feature=related Obviously you don't need to make that big of a curve when you're just starting. It's definitely tough to figure out how to get on and stay on the outside edge.

The Laura Stamm stuff is pretty good, there's a book and DVD.
http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-DVD/dp/B000HT201G/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Stamms-Power-Skating-4th/dp/0736076204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302806699&sr=8-1

Thufir
May 19, 2004

oddIXIbbo posted:

This is confusing.

if the red circles are my hands and the puck is behind me and I am facing in the direction of the thin red arrow, I am Gumby.

This all makes sense if I am facing the other way but you've said the opposite

I don't have a stick with me here at work but I'm pretty sure I can do that without being particularly flexible.

Edit: try turning your shoulders a little bit.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Now I just want to go work on that and outside edge drills but there's no stick and puck time on the rink calendar at the moment :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Everything at my rink got canceled today because of some stupid figure skating bullshit thing so now I have almost nothing to do for the next nine hours which is agonizing

At least I have my skills clinic tomorrow morning. At 6:50 AM. Roughly 6.5 hours after the expected regulation end of Preds-Ducks :doh:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Lawnie posted:

if my rink had a skills clinic at 6:50am i'd be there all the time. and i'm a college student so that's like torture, really

It's kind of expensive and they only run it for 4-6 weeks at a time, apparently depending on the whims of the director of hockey but it's a lot of fun and has been really helpful. 6:50 is an improvement, it used to be at 6:00.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I liked the "catch the falling glove" drill.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

robcat posted:

I signed up for a beginner class in Oakland but I have no idea what people wear to these things. Do I need hockey pants? Will sweatpants suffice or make me look like even more of a doofus? Excellent op by the way. Makes me wish I'd gone to the rink a few times leading up to this.

I would get at least: Gloves, shin/knee pads, elbow pads, helmet, stick. They might not let you on the ice without that stuff, definitely need a helmet. If you're committed to playing hockey might as well start looking for hockey pants too.

edit: and a CUP!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Just pulled the trigger on some X:40 skates to replace my X:20s that I've realized are 1/2 size too big. Anyone ever bake your own skates at home? Ice Warehouse has a video guide that makes it not look too hard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

Thufir
May 19, 2004

robcat posted:

Just to follow up, I needed to have helmet gloves and a stick. Next week! I was blown away at how much equipment everyone had. I was under the impression everyone would be out there in sweatpants with a borrowed stick. There were probably only 2 people out of 40 that didn't have a full set of gear.

If you're pretty new to skating I would get elbow and shin pads too because they'll save you a lot of bruises and give you more confidence in trying new things where you might fall.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

My snap shot was horrible with my 100 flex and I could never get it down. Its improved tons with the 85 flex.

How big are you? I have an 85 that's probably in the 90s after being cut and I don't feel like I get a ton of flex. Wonder if I should try a 77 flex (before cutting). I'm 165.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Thufir posted:

Just pulled the trigger on some X:40 skates to replace my X:20s that I've realized are 1/2 size too big. Anyone ever bake your own skates at home? Ice Warehouse has a video guide that makes it not look too hard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

UPS delivered my skates too late to take them to get sharpened today, hopefully the guy can do it Thursday night so I can wear them this weekend :ohdear:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I did just one stick and puck session and one pickup game with black tape up top and it got the palms all marked up so I switched to white. I've been using black tape on the blade but I don't think I really care.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ok, I looked at the top 25 goal scorers from the regular season and using google image search tried to determine what tape color they use on their blades. The results are:

White: 14 players, 501 goals
Black: 11 players, 373 goals

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Individual registrations for summer league were today and all rosters are apparently full...and have been for 5 years :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone will pick me up off the free agent list.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ice Warehouse has free return shipping on skates so you could order some from them and return them if they don't work out.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I feel your pain, Nashville is a complete wasteland as far as hockey retail is concerned.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

I did try on a pair of Bauers.. aren't they supposed to run narrow? Because the ones I tried felt pretty good. I only got about 5 minutes in them though.. I want to sit around with them fully laced for a good 15 minutes before deciding.

Which Bauers? The Supremes are supposed to be wider. New Vapors are pretty ugly.

When I was leaving after stick and puck today there was a guy coming in for league games who only had one arm :psyduck: How does that work?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

It should say on the site what the length is. Most are 60", some are 58". I think Eastons are 61" generally. Unless you're pretty tall you should be able to get whatever and get it cut to the right size.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

zinc68 posted:

I present to you my beer league arena.

The middle part is a rotunda that has viewing for all four rinks with a full service restaurant with beers. Oh yeah, there are also 8 more rinks down the hallway not shown, and 4 more being built right now. The US National Women's team uses the A league beer teams as practice which is pretty drat cool in-itself.

This isn't even the only arena in the town. Sometimes Minnesota can be awesome. Sometimes..

That right there is as many ice sheets as are within like, 150 miles of Nashville :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

It's vaguely comforting that the superrink open hockey schedule is just as lovely and inconvenient as my local rinks http://www.nscsports.org/facilities/superrink/pdf/sr_open_sched.pdf

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I've mentioned this before but pretty much every time I fall playing I end up landing on the bony part of my upper thigh (I believe it's the trochanter technically) and it ends up hurting like gently caress for days. My Vapor X20 pants have really lovely thigh protection, just some hard plastic and like 2mm of soft foam. Do you guys have input on what $100ish ice pants have the best thigh protection? Stores around here have poo poo in stock but what I've seen so far is:

Reebok 9k: seems pretty good
Bauer Vapor X60: Seems really good but out of my price range, are the X:40s similar?
Easton S13: not so good.

Alternately, has anyone tried the Shock Doctor padded compression shorts?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

I'm fully of the belief that you spend the money once on a good product and it'll last you as many beer league seasons as you want. I'm sure people will disagree though.

Yeah, I find this is true about a lot of stuff. I've only been playing since January so I didn't want to drop a bunch of money on gear at first without really knowing what I liked but drat, things are failing faster than I expected. I noticed my X:20 pants already have a couple holes in them and my cheapo bag's zipper is breaking. Really of my original gear the only things I'm not already dissatisfied with are my elbow pads and shoulder pads, which are both low end but don't really matter at my level.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Shiiiit

I blocked a slapshot in pickup today off my skate and when I get home I see that two bolt holes on the holder are broken and it's all cockeyed.

month old skates :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

^^^ You can get the rivets redone. IIRC it's around $20 per skate.

Playoffs tonight: some guy actually goes down to block my slap-shot like it's the damned NHL. The shot gets redirected off his skate beats the goalie to the near post :smug:

the rivets seem fine, they tore through the plastic on the holder, so I'm pretty sure I'll need a new holder at least. I'm not about blocking shots in pickup: I would have loved to have gotten out of the way if the guy would've given me a couple more seconds.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

bewbies posted:

That said, if you're landing on your hip and there isn't padding there then your pants aren't protecting you properly (even cheap pants should do this at a minimum). Are you sure that they're sized correctly? There should be some padding on every bony part of your midsection; you might want to check that they're up high enough and are the right size.

I mean, there is padding there, it's just hard plastic and then a really thin layer of soft foam. I'm sure it would keep a puck from breaking my leg but when I fall on it with most of my body weight there's not much to soak up the impact. In any case, I've got a big hole in the pants too so I'll replace them with something nicer.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I talked about them earlier but I don't think I would recommend x:20 pants to anyone at any level. They don't offer much protection and I don't think they would last more than one season, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Acethomas posted:

Caught a puck on my left skates holder and cracked a piece of the front column off with a big crack going through the center as well. Didn't realize it and played 45 more minutes wondering why my turns were so tough.

Heh, I broke a holder last week and was wondering for an hour why my right skate was so noisy.