Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
I signed up for a beginner class but I have no idea what people wear to these things. Do I need hockey pants? Will sweatpants suffice or make me look like even more of a doofus? Excellent op by the way. Makes me wish I'd gone to the rink a few times leading up to this.

robcat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
The site said gear may be available for per-session use in the class so I'm hoping they just have some crappy old things to use. Definitely getting a cup though...that's not really an ideal "borrowed" piece of equipment.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

robcat posted:

The site said gear may be available for per-session use in the class so I'm hoping they just have some crappy old things to use. Definitely getting a cup though...that's not really an ideal "borrowed" piece of equipment.

Just to follow up, I needed to have helmet gloves and a stick. Next week! I was blown away at how much equipment everyone had. I was under the impression everyone would be out there in sweatpants with a borrowed stick. There were probably only 2 people out of 40 that didn't have a full set of gear.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Thufir posted:

If you're pretty new to skating I would get elbow and shin pads too because they'll save you a lot of bruises and give you more confidence in trying new things where you might fall.

Knowing me I'm probably just going to get everything else as well. So much for signing up for the class so I could try it out without committing, guess I should've known I'd end up jumping right in.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
I just went to my first beginner class the other day, and it was awesome. Everything seemed to fit well except for possibly the pants...they would frequently get stuck under the above knee pad on the shinguards (hopefully that makes sense). Can I solve this by just taping down that flexible upper part of the shinguard so it sticks to my lower thigh?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
what's the general preferred method to hold up socks if you aren't using the compression shorts w/ velcro? Do most people use a garter, or is it faster/easier to just tape them up?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

bewbies posted:

I recommend sweatpants, better than socks in every way.

I considered it, but no one else in my beginner class wears sweatpants. I just want to fit in :sweatdrop:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, tape it is

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
Sometimes I miss my Sunday beginner class at Oakland ice, so I was thinking of going to this one at Belmont Iceland to supplement (it's drop-in)

This is from their site:

quote:

Our clinic is aimed at players with basic forward, backward and stopping skills, who are looking to improve their abilities and knowledge of the game of hockey. Players are required to wear full gear. We do not have any equipment available for rental, with the exception of skates.

Is this going to be a waste of time for me if I'm not great yet at stopping or skating backwards? I can do both, and it's not like I'm at risk of running into people really, but I'm definitely not good at either of them. I also can't do any kind of crossovers yet. I know I can always work on skating on my own, I just thought this was good because I definitely need to get time with the puck, to work on passing/shooting/receiving passes. Does anyone have experience with drop in clinics like this?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

poser posted:

The socks were $5 for used and $10 for new. Pants were $80 regardless of the condition so I went with a new pair instead of Pavs tore up pair. My roomamte scored a pair of pretty new skates for $110. Only thing I did not get that I wanted was an extra pair of gloves.

Did you have to show up early to this to make sure you got a good selection? I wanted to go this year, but was out of town that weekend.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Zurich posted:

Has anyone played at Yerba Buena in SF? I just moved here and it's amazing having a rink on the same block - in London we have to travel for hours to get to rinks.

Also has anyone in SF got a full set of gear I can buy/borrow for cheap?

Now that I've been taking classes for a few months in Oakland I hope to play in a league at Yerba Buena, but it kind of sucks because it seems like less of a big community (from what I can tell by the number of leagues/teams, and the fact that they use a 3rd party to run their leagues). Oakland's beginner league is also Sunday evenings which is pretty much the most ideal timeslot I can think of.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
For those of you that live in cities, and don't have a garage, what is your gear storage solution? Right now everything's arranged to dry in the far corner of my room, but after 4 months or so of playing it's finally starting to get a healthy locker room smell to it. I could probably put the grosser things outside (gloves, skates) but I live in SF where it's foggy and damp a lot of the time, and also I'm not excited about having spiders or other creatures setting up shop inside things over the week.

Does anyone just let it dry overnight or whatever then stuff it all back into the bag? I'm worried that just because it feels dry doesn't mean it actually is.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

poser posted:

My old place had a garage so my roommate and I aired our stuff out in there and it smelled horrible. Now I live with my FIANCEE and use a utility closet and try to air my gear out before I put it in there but I have a piss happy kitty so it makes it hard.

What rink you play at?

I haven't joined a league yet, but I'm doing beginner classes at Oakland on Sundays, and the drop in class at Belmont on Thursdays. I think I'm going to end up playing at Oakland.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

poser posted:

There are a few of us around in the Bay Area + 916 area. the Belmont rink seems like it might be the best option to a mini hockey meet.

Aside from the fact that the Belmont rink itself is pretty garbage, it does seem like a nice halfway point.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

soggybagel posted:

The issue i have is that they are clearly too high when i kneel down on one knee and its sticking up too high. It obviously covers the knee but they kind of get caught up in the hockey pants too. I'll go to the store tomorrow and see how things go with 13.

Just tape that part down, it won't get caught up anymore (assuming you were looking for alternatives to buying smaller ones)

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Having fun during a game? Not in MY beer league :colbert:

You've insulted the sport, your team, and yourself. Frankly you're lucky you made it out of the rink intact. :clint:

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

soggybagel posted:

I've seen goalies have little towels up against their forehead while they play in their helmet to catch the sweat. I sweat so loving much when I play hockey. Any solutions for me?

I've seen a lot of guys wear those UnderArmor do-rag things under their helmet

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
All these stories about the jerks in everyone's respective leagues had me worried...4 games into our season most of the teams don't seem too bad. Maybe it's just because it's one of the lower tier skill levels, I guess.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
$30 for a season seems like such a crazy deal...I paid that much on Sunday for a drop in class followed by stick and puck. Generally with PKs we just go with whatever lines are due out + a volunteer sitting it out...unless our team's had a million penalties that game I'm usually the volunteer on my line just because other people are better at defense than me.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
Does anyone know of a good video that gives advice on tipping pucks in the air? Or really just advice on it in general? Such as keeping the blade parallel to the ice, squatting down to keep the stick in your peripheral (like bunting in baseball), that sort of thing.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

poser posted:

Are you trying to tip pucks already in the air or trying to lift the puck over the goalie?

Already in the air...pretty sure Green Submarine hit the nail on the head though, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
My team never consumes beer because 90% of our games are at 10:45 on worknights. Pretty lame scheduling

edit: That's also insane about that injury...sounds like an incredibly rare/unfortunate set of circumstances.

robcat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2011

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
You guys are right. It's time to insist people join me in the parking lot this Sunday! I drive one person to our games, so he at least won't have a choice in the matter.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
That EQ50 is such an awesome deal, and I definitely need a second stick...but I've also only been playing for 8 months or so, so it seems like the stick is kind of above my skill level.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I'm pretty sure you mean "My skill level is such that a high-end stick makes a substantial difference in my play, therefore I must purchase one."

If I hadn't just purchased a Sher-Wood Somethingsomethingsomethingawseome80flex, I would totally grab this deal.

You've correctly assumed that I just needed a small amount of convincing. Purchasing!

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Thufir posted:

Budweiser Canada put together a flash fan mob for a beer league game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qZYqdsYAg&feature=player_embedded

I'm probably one of the poorest guys on my team but I have the nicest sticks, those dudes are doing it wrong. Everyone's got like, X:15s and EQ:20s.

e: Ice Warehouse has the EQ50 sticks for $150 now and I think if you get the 10% member discount it still applies so that's almost as good a deal, there must be something new coming.

Would've bought from Ice Warehouse but their 100 flex selection was limited...they're the best though, their ground shipping gets to me next day.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
That looks like the least fun game ever...every time my team gets a penalty it's like a guaranteed 3-4 minutes of gametime that I'm sitting out for.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah, the way our team does PKs, we usually sit a wing. Always keep a center and 2 D no matter what. I'm a wing :(

That was my first thought too. I wonder what the statistical probability of that is, given so many penalties.

Yeah. Sometimes if the center is the one who took the penalty, wings will just go on, but even that usually falls apart because a center just takes someone's place during the mid-PK shift. So then, if you play on the first or second line, that means your line is out on a PK, and will come back just as its ending because beer league shifts are never shorter than 90 seconds anyway, which means you've got a good 2-3 minutes post penalty of not playing too. Luckily, my team never seems to have too many penalties/game.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
I wash my gloves maybe once every three months...I take a different approach though, I throw them in on a gentle cycle, cold water, and with detergent, then let them air dry. I also have a front loading machine (like the kind at laundromats) which I imagine is gentler and less prone to destroying things.

I just washed my shoulder and elbow pads recently too, following hte same method, and it worked great. I'm sure it doesn't help durability, but I've had all this stuff for a year now and it's still going strong. Most of it was low end anyway so if I have to replace it sooner than I would have with no washing, it's not a huge deal to me.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

mr. unhsib posted:

Can anyone here tell me about playing hockey in the Bay area? I'm moving to Mountain View next month and I'd really like to get back into it. Also what's the availability of gear like, I think I'm going to get rid of everything I have before I move...

I think there are a few people in this thread that live/play in the bay area. I live in SF but play in Oakland. Near Mountain View, there are actually a pretty good number of rinks in the area. Belmont has a drop in clinic on Thursday nights that is half drills, half pick-up, and it's usually pretty fun. The biggest store I know of in the area is hockey xsport, which is in Oakland.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I have an Easton EQ 20 bag that I've been using for a year or so at least and it's holding up pretty well. No complaints about it so far. The EQ 20 one is apparently just 32", but the EQ 30 bag is 36" according to hockeymonkey.

This is awesome as hell.

Counterpoint - I too have had an EQ20 for just about 1 year, and it has pretty significant rips on all 3 sides of the U shaped zipper - it's to the point where I don't have to unzip it to get the smaller parts of gear out. Even the velcro handstrap enclosure has ripped.

Backpacks seem cool though. My issue isn't so much shoulder strap digging into my shoulder as it is the bag slamming into my leg with every step I take.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
Is it a stupid idea to be so bold as to order new gloves sight unseen? I'm not looking for anything crazy, probably just one price tier above the cheapest variety.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=LIQUID18014

Their description makes it sound pretty bad. Does anyone have experience ordering stuff like this?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

shyguy posted:

Hey guys, if anybody's interested I'm selling a pair of Bauer Supreme TotalOne gloves, 14" black.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-gloves-supreme-totalone-sr.html

They've been worn for one S&P session, and I'm only selling them because they're a bit too small for me (I'm 6' tall for what it's worth). They're practically brand new.

$100, or best offer. PM me for details.

Shoot, just two days too late! Hope you're able to sell'em.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah we only have 3 guys who need a jersey, so I was pretty much already figuring that we'd have to do something like this:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-uncrested-jersey-25p00-sjo.html

$40 + $10 for name and number isn't too awful. I was just trying to see if they may be a bit cheaper elsewhere.

Also, icejerseys.com boned us a couple years ago when we were trying to order jerseys for the whole team. As in take our money and never ship anything nor respond to any sort of communication. gently caress those guys.

Virtually all the teams that play at Oakland Ice (IIRC you are bay area) use a local guy. Every season we've had to order just a few more jerseys for new players, I don't know if that's only allowed because we've placed large orders in the past so they already have the design? Worth a shot though. Their name is DGH outfitters.

Also, I'm kind of jealous of all of you that play on teams with only two forward lines. Our games are pretty much guaranteed to have 3 lines of forwards and 2.5 D lines

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

sellouts posted:

3 lines is just begging for 5 minute shifts in a bronze level team

We're usually not bad on that, I can think of maybe 2 times in the last season that people took a 3 minute shift.

Where it really kills me is when we have to go on the PK. It typically means I end up having a 3 shift period.

Our team is around half older people, half younger, and I think there's definitely some on the team that wouldn't be able to (or want to) hang with running 2 forward lines.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

xzzy posted:

Upside being, half of it is not a reoccurring cost so next year should be a lot cheaper.

If only life was that simple. Soon you'll realize your stick is holding you back, or your helmet is uncomfortable, or the palm of your glove is just not giving you the tactile feedback you need to perform at a high level.

tl;dr you will be able to easily rationalize new, more expensive purchases.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

StyleFresh posted:

I threw my name on the Free Agent list over in Oakland and the only teams looking for players are a Silver B and a Silver C team, one saying I won't have to pay. Had my first ever league game on Thursday and got a goal and a couple of assists but I was wearing the same number as one of the regulars and the ref missed my secondary so I was only credited with one assist. :(

The team had lots of problems with 2-on-1s developing from their breakouts and we ended up losing but the best parts of my night were my super sick deke goal and when we had our goalie pulled, I was the extra man and got to play the Holmstrom game for the last few minutes in front of the goalie after getting the puck to our D.

Anyway, that Silver B team could do with another paying member or just people they can call if they need players if anyone is interested. Sounded like a lot of their players have other stuff going on and can't play.

Which Silver C team are you playing on? I play at Oakland too, but in Silver D.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

brosef deluxe posted:

Sounds so fun. I'd be interested, although I'm not very good at hockey.

I did that in January, and it was very awesome. I think my team will probably be putting something together, but if not I'm down to try and figure out a team with you guys (assuming the lowest level is what you're going for)

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

sellouts posted:

He probably isn't getting his pads down because he can't see the shots coming.

The key is to have the people not fighting it out in the crease (wingers) quit hanging around the blue line and actually get in there to cause a turn over, block a shot, or just pick up the guy with the puck to prevent him from shooting.

This is true. And it's also something, in my experience, that gets you yelled at on lower division teams (where typically no one's ever had any coaching) to stay on the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

xzzy posted:

I don't get that with the guys I play with.. usually they want everyone fairly low, and will grump at dudes for not doing it. Anyone who stays above the faceoff circles gets the cherry picker label. :v:

hah, that's pretty funny. I also see people get yelled at pretty regularly for changing when the puck is in our zone...even if they've been out for 2 minutes and the other team is in the middle of a full line change.