Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Fingers McGee posted:

Speaking of X:50's I stopped by Play it again to get my skates sharpened, and see if they have any good deals on vapors, and to check to see if I'm really a size 7.5. I measured my foot and tried on a pair of 7.5 vapors and I am indeed a 7.5. They fit fine, my toe didnt rub at all. Ive been wearing 8's for the last year and wondering if they were a tad too big. Any idea how this change would affect my skating?

I did this exact thing (even down to going from an 8 to a 7.5) and I was blown away by how much more edge control I have. I also am suddenly able to do hockey stops and crossovers on my non-dominant foot much better than with my old skates. I think it's a combination of a snugger fit and upgrading to a much better and stiffer skate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Verman posted:

My favorite is to wrap around the net, along the boards, and rather than passing it up the boards to the D man, or into the traffic heavy slot, I would quickly throw it at the net from where the goal line meets the boards.

The goalie is looking for the pass to the D or for the puck to end up in front of him, when you put it between him and the net, or bounce it off his feet, hes been caught off guard.

He's at relative ease because you are along the boards meaning that you aren't attempting a wrap around shot. The goalie thinks that you have now become less of a threat compared to the D man or the guy in the slot so his attention changes from you to the other 2 threats. I had at least 3-4 goals this season from a simple play like this. This isn't counting the goals that were done though the same set up but instead passing to the blue line or the slot.

The James Neal play. I do this at least once a game and it is always at least a scoring chance. Usually a decent chance of a rebound for the forward crashing the net as well.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I have a great bag, but the clips on the long strap are broken, and I really just want a new long strap. I don't seem to be able to find just a strap though. Seriously annoying.

Re: Douchey teammates. I just got invited onto my friend's league team a couple weeks ago. In my second game with them, one of our teammates got thrown out of the game, and is potentially also receiving a five game suspension, because he just absolutely refused to stop trying to get the last word with a ref. He was continually warned.

Ref: "I'm telling you, if you don't be quiet I'm going to toss you. I'm not messing around."
Idiot: "I'm just saying, you're not calling their penalties. We never had any trouble playing with the other refs."
Ref: "Last warning."
Idiot: "Just do your job. Call all the penalties."
Ref: "Get off the ice, you're done."

The headed off the ice, and right before he exited the door, he turned around and called the ref a dumb motherfucker. Five games.

I get that the ref was just flexing nuts (apparently, a lot of these guys went to high school together and kind of hate each other), but seriously, don't gently caress over the rest of your team by taking yourself off the ice. We were then down to 2 subs on the bench. Ugh.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

We pay $3,250 for 20 regular season games plus one guaranteed playoff game. I can't even conceive of a team fee of $9000+.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I just got invited to play with a team being set up in a C-/D league here, which is pretty big for me given that I had to take a year off of hockey to rehab my knee after I blew it out (playing hockey) and had to have surgery. I felt really slow and crappy for the first six months after starting to play again, barely E-league material, so its nice to have some of my speed and skill back.

On the other hand, the team is called the Moose Knuckles.

:negative:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I love when, at pickup, I happen to choose the jersey color that all the skilled skaters are wearing that night.

Last night I had six primary assists.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Last summer I skated five games in 72 hours.

Friday: Played for my Friday league team at the 8:00p game (11 on bench, played forward), then subbed for the game at 9:30 (7 on bench :qq:, played both d and forward), then subbed for the game at 11:00 (10 on bench, played defense). Tweaked my groin in the middle one.

Saturday: Played for my Saturday league team at 5:30p, played center ugh. 12 in the bench though.

Sunday: Subbed for the Sunday sister team of my Saturday team at 5:30p (10 on the bench). Played defense until the last five minutes, where I played forward. Barely finished it.

I'd probably do it again.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Six on the bench last night, thanks to getting some snow in Pittsburgh. I was dragging rear end halfway through the second. One kid on the team (looked to be about 19, but who knows) just kept exhorting us all to just "skate hard." I can only skate hard for so long, dude! Didn't help that the few times I tried to sub out, someone else would come off and put me right back over the boards. I probably had like 55 minutes of ice time in that game.

We wound up losing 6-5. I scored a neat one (first time I ever managed to kick the puck up to my stick for a backhander) to tie it at 5 with less than two minutes left. Went off immediately since I had no juice, and the other team scored the gwg with less than a minute left.

:negative:

Not sure how I feel about this league; the teams don't seem very balanced, but it could just be that we lose every game.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

D C posted:

On the inverse, nothing is more embarrassing/infuriating then shooting the puck over the net from the crease.

This. I get so excited to even have the puck on my stick when this close to the net that I invariably backhand it waaaaaaaay over the top. Sometimes into the netting.

My biggest advice for one-timers is generally pull the trigger sooner than your brain is telling you to (unless you're really good at it already). I find that by the time I have decided to shoot, the puck will already have gone past my blade, so shooting a little earlier has helped me put the pucks on net at least. I still miss pretty often, but I at least touch the puck somewhat frequently now.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

sellouts posted:

Topo (or any other official in the thread, but I think she is the only one), weird question for you.

Team A plays Team B. Team B does not have a goalie and starts the game with 6 skaters and ends with 8 or 9. End of first period it is A7-B0. Official comments to our bench that he's shocked we aren't ripping slapshots at their 6th guy who is playing in net without equipment. We don't because we sorta feel bad and given the score we don't need to do it. End of second period it is A8-B4. Third period game gets chippy from Team B and the score ramps up to A14-B4. Body checks after goals, tripping from behind on clear breakaways, etc. Somewhat dangerous plays with no penalties called, all coming from 2 players on team B. No penalties are called.

The officials reasoning for this is "The game is out of hand, if we call penalties it'll be more out of hand, it will make the problems worth and then we'll have to call a forfeit". After the game I talked with them as I have a good relationship with one and the other was a guy I haven't' skated with. He admitted that the plays were dirty/cheap, but stuck to the line of reasoning that more penalties just makes the situation worse.

Does that logic make sense to you or is that something that would be suggested by the league? I'm all for ice time but it wasn't fun for anyone. Maybe if they forfeit the league is afraid we'd ask for money back or an additional game?

Why couldn't they just toss the two idiots who were being dumb? Does your league not have a way to eject players from games?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Playing in my first tournament tonight. Stop clock, music, drink vouchers. I'm excited.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Someone got their stick shaft up on the side of my neck last night. I don't even understand how someone would decide to do something like that. The puck is clearly not floating over my shoulder.

The easiest way to shift your stick from one side of an opponent to the other is over their head, I guess! I took a stick to the cage from someone doing this down in front of their goalie this weekend.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Pleads posted:

I have a local source that customizes all my jerseys with a thick orange fuzz.

You pay shipping both ways + $5 a day cat food and I can get you the treatment.

My cats love to lay on my hockey bag when I've got it sitting around with my gear in it. As soon as I set it down, they compete to be the first one to hop up and lay down. Cats are weird.

Edit: Proof.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 30, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

dms666 posted:

At Brady's or Warrendale?

How many other Pittsburgh hockey goons are there?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

shyduck posted:

you're lucky in the vacation months to have double digit players on the bench, let alone line combinations

Playing in Western PA, it's the same here. One of the teams I play on (for which I am also captain-by-default) has 16 skaters on the roster, and have had turnouts of 9 and 7 skaters for the first two games of the season.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I took a good slapshot directly off my toe cap last night. Had to get off the ice shortly thereafter, but I didn't even notice it during my next shift. Only when I took my skates off at the end of the session did I realize I had no feeling in my big toe at all. Pain came back a little later, but it seems fine now. I'm pretty grateful for that hard plastic right now.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

sellouts posted:

Congrats on finding a new team. Keep up the friendship with the guys on the previous team that are cool. You never know when you might need them.

This. Five years from now you will have a whole network of cool people to play with and can start putting your own teams together. I spend more time doing beer league networking than I do professional networking.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Chemmy posted:

At the rink I used to play at in Connecticut people used to break in, go through hockey bags for car keys and then walk around the parking lot pressing the button until they figured out which car the keys belonged to so they could steal it.

I've heard this story from a number of hockey people here in Pittsburgh. They all "heard about it from another person." I've never heard of it actually happening to someone direct from their mouth, or even someone who directly knew someone it happened to, and I've played with a ton of people. I half-suspect it's an urban legend in the rec hockey community.

I still take a minimum into the rink, and obscure my keys in my bag, so.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I've got some strangeness going on with my ribs/intercostals/lower-back muscles recently. I think it comes from falling over the boards a few weeks ago while trying to jump on to the ice. Few things are more embarrassing than hurting yourself during a line change.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

Learn to say important things like "this ice sucks" and "I need my skates sharpened" when you do bad things on the ice. Another important technique to master is looking intently at your stick blade and bending it like you think it might be cracked after you mess up stick handling or shooting the puck. This is a very important skill

Blaming the ice for essentially anything negative that happens is crucial. Get beat and it cost a goal? "Puck is bouncing all over this lovely ice." Trip over the blue line? "There's a big rut over there." Lose the puck in the offensive zone? "Maybe if the Zamboni driver hadn't left so much water on this fuckin ice!"

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

For cherry-picking bonus points, tap your stick to call for the pass while screaming "HEY HEY HEY HEY." Yell at the defenseman for not sending you that 120 foot pass when you both get back to the bench.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Christ that sucks. I've had nagging injuries in my left wrist and right thumb for a while now and refuse to get it checked out because gently caress high deductible health plans. poo poo.

I've already met my deductible this year due to a reaggravation of the knee injury I suffered playing hockey in early spring 2012 (which I subsequently got surgery for: Zamboni_Rodeo, your experience sounds almost exactly like mine, except replace torn foot tendon with dislocated knee). Now every time I get any kind of tweak or twist or nasty bump, I go to the doctor and tell them to put some xrays on my tab.

Hockey is hard on bodies. Today while one of my teams was getting dressed before a game, someone pointed out that of 10 people in the room, 7 of them wore some kind of knee support or brace. At least four of us have had reconstructive knee surgery.

In an unrelated note, I had probably my best beer league game every tonight. I was such a hassle in front of the net for one of the bad guy d-men that he started getting frustrated and trying some lovely stuff: can openers, slew foots. At one point he did a big old two-handed slash down on my stick in the crease, then put his stick between my skates. He twisted, I fell, but I took his stick with me. He's waving at the ref for a penalty and when he didn't get it, he turned around and slew footed another of our players and got a penalty for that. When he finally got another shift, he got a double minor for an elbow. While the guy he slew footed was chirping him on the way to box, he almost got an unsportsmanlilke for opening the door and stepping back on the ice, which would have gotten him tossed. So getting in his head was fun.

Later, I was leading the rush when I realized my option were all being cut off as three bad guys converged on me, so I (like an idiot) tried to do a quick stop at the blue line. I passed it back to another forward charging up, since he had a free lane, but I also fell down into the offensive zone. I would have ruined the rush if I tried to pick my rear end up off the ice, so I did a barrel roll back across the line. The guy I passed to sniped it from above the circle. Got an assist while laid out on the ice. Got a bunch of mock cheers for it on the bench.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 14, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Yeah I guess I shouldn't have just said "hockey is hard on bodies." All sports are hard on bodies. Those saying hockey is less hard on your joints and stuff are spot on: I can skate all day long, but running for more than a few minutes makes my post-surgery knee ache and burn.

I think the biggest thing is that for a lot of beer/rec league players, hockey might be the only real exercise they get. I didn't grow up playing sports, and my body wasn't used to years of strenuous physical exertion.

All that said, I would advise that if anyone has lingering physical issues because of an injury, don't put it off. You could be doing long-term damage to yourself. I'm not saying automatically elect for surgery when your surgical consult inevitably pushes it on you (I mean, what is a surgeon going to do? Not advocate surgery?), but at least figure out what's wrong and what all your options are. Educating yourself on the injury and various treatments can't hurt, but it's hard to do that when you're just speculating on what the injury is.

Checking my privilege right here for having pretty decent health insurance, making diagnosis costs something of a non-issue for me. Those of you who don't and have already hurt yourselves, that really sucks, but I still advise getting to the bottom of the injury before it gets worse to the point of affecting your non-hockey life. You don't want to be the friend of mine who put off an ACL reconstruction for 12 years and will now need a knee replacement before age 40.

I am not a doctor. This is just my (anecdotal) experience, and second-hand information from other amateur athletes I work with regularly (I coach for a roller derby league, and THAT is a sport that seems actively designed to destroy ankles and knees).

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Even if I get mad on the ice, I don't take it out on other players. I'm also the guy that tries to pull hotheads on my own team away when they're yapping too much or trying to start something.

Why?

Because I paid $(LeagueFee) to play ice hockey, not watch people flex nuts at each other. Every second some idiot is mouthing off or trying to fight is a second of my money being wasted.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

I don't go to the stick times much anymore, do you ever play in the adult leagues there?

I play on a team in the "C-minor" league there. We lose a lot, and it has more d-bags than any of the other leagues I play in (not a ton, but still more), but it's still pretty fun.

I also play in the low level leagues run at the Warrendale Bladerunners and Mt. Lebanon.

I've only ever been to two stick time sessions because there's hardly any of them available during non-working hours.

Edit: There is almost no crossover between the Pittsburgh hockey goons who post in here and the general Pittsburgh goon thread.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 16, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

dms666 posted:

What team do you play on at Warrendale?

The orange team, Crash Test Dummies, in the summer E League.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

What team on C-minor? I've played in C-minor before and C-major, on the Chiefs and Green Monkeys. I'm one of the only players I've seen who sometimes plays with cage/glasses combo

I play on a newer team there; we've only been in the league since March or so. The team is called Moose Knuckles. I hate the name.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

This is a pretty standard beer league team name. Get used to it.

Yeah, I've seen other teams with the name before, I just think it's unoriginal. I've also been on "Multiple Scoregasms," seen a couple teams called "Mother Puckers" or some other Puck/gently caress pun. There's so much more room for hilarity than the obvious puns.

toxicsunset posted:

Well, we're taking a season off but if you ever play against the Green Monkeys there's a very good chance I'm there

I'll keep an eye out for a weird crab dude and perhaps we can exchange attempts at running each other?

dms666 posted:

Oh, I think I know who you are now, I'm assuming you're the captain judging by your username? We tailgated together after the last game. I was probably sitting in the back of Bill/Jodie's Xterra for most of the night drinking too much Yuengling hah. I also played goalie at your teammate's RMU pickups the last couple of times. If you need any help for the playoffs this week let me know, I'm free, we ended up with a bye.

Yeah that's me. I also drank way too much Yuengling that night. I was trying to think of people in the league with those initials, but I overlooked the obvious one, haha. I'll keep you in mind for the playoff game, I've got a few people from the team who haven't responded yet. I'll let you know.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Welp, just got an email about league fees next season.

Team fee is now up to $10,425 in attempt to recoup the cost of their stupid loving outdoor rink (in California) this winter. :laffo:

How many games is this league?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

One of the leagues I play in technically has this rule, but they never make us sign in before games so there's no way to really know who has played when.

The other leagues I play in just have a "don't bring in ringers" rule, and you generally have to contact the league organizer to approve subs.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

In my last five league games (three different leagues) I have 7 goals and 7 assists. I normally score maybe one goal a season per league. Something is happening.

I also have four own goals (I'm bad at stick positioning on defense) across those three leagues this season, so maybe I should just get two more to revert back to my regular net goal count.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Two championship games within 24 hours, both wins! Really proud of my team tonight, who went 3-7 in the regular season but put together three playoff wins to take the E League Lower Tier championship. I love hockey.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I want to add myself but it looks like the backing sheet for a Google Form. Anyone got the link?

Edit: Did some detective work: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E6MQ

bgreman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 12, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Anything I can do about a nasty chip in the toe of my stick blade?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

dms666 posted:

When I saw the rosters for this session and that the entire carpool group that was in E league for the last two sessions moved up, I knew that wasn't going to be good. They were all on the team I played goalie for in E league and a few of them could barely control the puck in E...

If you're talking about Brady's Run, I joined the D league for this season. I think I lucked out though, because I got put on the gray team. Based on the website, it looks like they won the last session. Any info?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

HM has some pretty good sticks for 50% off. Easton RS Stealth intermediate for $70? Hell yeah.

Senior:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/massive-inventory-clearance-sale-50-sticks-sr.html

Int:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/massive-inventory-clearance-sale-50-sticks-int.html

There's also a bunch of 40% and 30% off sticks as well.

How tall are you to be using an intermediate stick? I'm only 5'9" - 5'10" (off skates), so I'm wondering if I might be able to get by using an INT stick.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I have a pair of RSIIs and they own. I've only ever snapped one shaft, but it was a Bauer TotalOne. My Easton's (RSIIs and pair of Makos) have been fine.

I'm 5'9" and the Easton/Bauer intermediates are PERFECT length. I don't cut them down at all and they come up to my chin on skates.

Thanks, pulled the trigger on a discount INT Mako II to replace the one with the bad chip in the toe upthread. It'll be about 2.5" shorter than that one, but I'm sure I can adapt.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

bgreman posted:

If you're talking about Brady's Run, I joined the D league for this season. I think I lucked out though, because I got put on the gray team. Based on the website, it looks like they won the last session. Any info?

We had our first game tonight. We got smashed, 10-1 and our goalie quit! Wooo!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Lol what? Did you guys get a new goalie in the offseason or something? That's really strange.

Maybe it's the old Green goalie? I think Green had a different goalie last week vs last season, and their old one had an awful attitude iirc.

dms666 posted:

Ouch that sucks, were you missing any players?

I think this guy is new to the league, he is the one who always posts in the Pittsburgh hockey groups on Facebook talking about his Vokoun pads. I've only seen him play dek hockey and he wasn't the greatest, just big.

We had 8 total, so we went with 3 D (only one of whom regularly plays D) and five F. The other team just moved the puck really well and since our D were inexperienced at it, they tried to step up at the blue line too often and got beat into the zone. We were tired, but not so tired that we should have got whipped that badly.

The goalie was one who subbed for my team a few times at New Ken's E League. He's kind of a hothead. Someone was near his crease whacking at a loose puck and he flipped his poo poo. Later, after the 7th or 8th goal, he started punching the crossbar over and over. I guess he gave some kind of "I quit" speech in the room afterward, but some other guys and I stayed on the ice to mess around since we still had some time left before the zamboni came out. I don't think he played at Brady's last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

bgreman posted:

Thanks, pulled the trigger on a discount INT Mako II to replace the one with the bad chip in the toe upthread. It'll be about 2.5" shorter than that one, but I'm sure I can adapt.

Stick arrived earlier this week, about 1.5" shorter than my older Mako M5. Played with it for the first time tonight at pickup and potted 2.5 goals. I love it, just need to get used to the marginally shorter reach. I missed a few passes just past the end of my stick.

Thanks everyone for the INT stick advice!