Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
http://www.youtube.com/user/howtohockeydotcom

This guy has some decent youtube videos on just about everything hockey related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Pr0phecy posted:

Ughhhh, posting this thread right as the season is ending, you big rear end in a top hat you. I spent the last three years practicing my skating so for this off-season, I'm gonna work on my hands on some sort of polyethylene sheet. Anyone have another good material for synthetic ice?

I've heard people had success getting a white board from Home Depot, for <$10, and spraying it with Pledge or silicon spray. I was going get one and try this once my impact net I bought comes in this weekend, so I can shoot in the basement.

Here are some other ideas
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=739161

dms666 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 9, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Any advice on trying to learn to stop on ice? Been trying the last few weeks at public skates with not much luck. Got just about everything else down pretty good from playing inline for over a year now

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I don't suppose you know how to ski, do you? It's exactly like a parallell stop on skis.

Just snowboarding, probably gonna try to go to an afternoon skate this week and try out some of the tips you guys gave me.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Hey, I saw a dude playing pickup today at the Mt. Lebo ice rink here in Pittsburgh wearing a Goon Squad jersey. Was it any one of you guys?

Is that the jersey with the :iamafag: on it? If so, I know they have an inline team at Neville

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Thanks for the tips on stopping, it kind of just clicked today and was able to start doing it decently

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Yay, our inline team won its first playoff game after like 4 seasons :D

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Sleeper Pimp posted:

Finally have all my gear and found a stick that's long enough for my height (6'5") but I can never seem to find time to get to hockey class up in Fremont, it sucks. I just want to learn how to play hockey! :mad:

I need tips on stopping, I gently caress up even a simple snow plow somehow, any pointers?

There are a bunch of tips starting on page 3 after my post asking, they seemed to help me with it.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I was bored and made a shooting setup which was only like $30
http://imgur.com/CbvgE
http://imgur.com/jfPbl

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

WouldDesk posted:

That looks like some goodtimes. Are you including the net in that $30? A rink I played at had a huge net from floor to ceiling and wrapped halfway around the rink to protect the throngs of fans (family) and it cost $10,000. I was dumbfounded. Hang up one of those Dr. Pepper bottle and fire away.

I got a 15'x12' impact net on ebay for $20 and that 8'x4' whiteboard from homedepot for $10, and I guess you can throw in the silicon spray for $2 from Walmart that I wiped down the board with for extra slickness. The net is doubled and I put a piece of PVC pipe I had sitting around inside of it just to keep pucks from going underneath of it and breaking something

For anyone looking for a net, this guy has a ton and most of them are free shipping. http://myworld.ebay.com/nautical-nets-bouys-and-more/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

dms666 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Had our first inline semi finals game last night against a team we havent beat in the two seasons since they joined the league. We go up 3-0 within the first 3 minutes and the game gets called due to the court being too wet with 12 min left in the 1st. I guess the refs decided to not check the court before we started, it was only bad behind the nets, where we didnt even end up at during those few minutes. After the game I talk to the ref to confirm that the game is going to be picked up where it left off at. He starts telling me that its going to be restarted since the court was wet and it was unfair to play on it.

Now the great thing is I emailed the league manager at like noon since we were going to get about 1" of rain and the court usually gets wet along the boards. So of course, none of them went and checked it by 9:30 game time, or even called the people for the next game telling them not to come after cancelling our game. So now I have to go through the fun of finding a rule sheet and talking to the managers about it, since im positive it says suspended games are to be resumed where left off.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Acethomas posted:

Anyone know of good inexpensive roller skates? It seems like the prices are pretty high right now and the used market here in LA is pretty tiny, I had no problem getting great ice stuff used but cannot find any roller skates, it's weird.

If you know your size, Rollerhockeymonkey.com has Missions before they got bought by Bauer for like 75% off
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-roller-hockey-skates-2005.html

dms666 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 12, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

We finally beat the team that we werent able to for the last 2 inline seasons in the semi's :D Nice 7-3 win, with their goalie being amazing. Get a 2-0 start for game 2 on Friday, due to a rain stoppage, but like half of our team cant make it due to having Pens tickets, hopefully I can get it moved from 8:30 to 10:30

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

bewbies posted:

Yeah, you turn your torso so your chest is facing the target, feet remain facing parallel to the goal line.

It is useful because it really forces you to use the flex of the stick to shoot as you can't use your legs/weight shift to get any velocity. After working like this for a while and then going back to a normal shooting technique you'll be shocked how much easier it is.

Was screwing around in the basement and remembered to try this, seemed to help, will see when next time at the rink/court since I only have about 15ft to shoot inside

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Alizee posted:

Also, you guys with the outdoor boards, how much does one of those cost? I would like to work on picking corners and my slapper in my backyard if possible :)

You can get a 8'x4' piece of "smooth panelboard" ,which is just like a whiteboard, at Home Depot/Lowes for $11, the ones online are like $75 for a small piece. If you are going to use it outside you might need to put it on a piece of plywood or something because its pretty thin

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

Those tend to break if you take slapshots on them and are in constant need of lubrication, and you can get the real-deal for as cheap as $39.99 online. The real deal is made from high-density polyethylene, same material as cutting boards, so if you happen to know of a local plastics company then you can probably get a piece of scrap for cheap or free, otherwise you're better off just buying the real thing.

Yeah I havnt actually tried doing tons of slapshots off of mine yet so couldnt say on that. Was gonna cut a piece off of my board to take outside to try them once I found a place where I could set up my net, and yeah, it does need some silicon spray on it every few weeks

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Habibi posted:

That reminds me, I need to get new elbow pads. I've had to tie knots into most of the straps on my current ones because they've gotten too loose - and they still fall down my arms during a game.

If your elastic is going you can just cut the strap and sew them back on about an inch back, or however much you need. Did this with my shin guards and they are like new again

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

First round inline playoff exit tonight, 5-4 loss, would of been nice to win to get an extra two games. I really need to get the rest of the gear to play ice, way too hot to be playing indoor inline when its 80-90* outside, even warmer inside.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

D C posted:

Febreez doesnt do anything.

Your gear just ends up smelling like Spring Fresh Stank.

Better off mixing some 60% or 80% alcohol with water, I forget which one, that will at least kill the bacteria that is creating the smell

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

One of the captain's in my lower level inline league always complains to everyone about trying to get teams to not use ringers in our league. He sent out an email right before the season saying he was removing the ones from his team, everyone should do the same, etc. I think their team had 5-6 ringers when we played them in the season opener last night.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

I don't get the hatred for ringers some people have. The games don't really mean anything and while a team chock-full of them can be pretty lame, I have a couple of friends of mine that play on the low level teams with me that could easily play up higher but they'd rather play with their friends than play on a higher level team with strangers. It's not always about dominating easy competition

Yeah I have no problem with a team having 1 or 2 people that are better than everyone, but when you have 4-5 of them and it really isnt even fun to play against them anymore when you have no chance at doing anything against them.

That team also went 1-9 last season, but once playoffs rolled around, they were in the finals and one goal away from winning it.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

There's so man penguins fans on these forums yet no pittsburgh hockey goons. Such bullshit

I think there are like 3-4 total, I forget who else though, just remember them posting.

Vital Signs posted:

Doesn't your league have eligibility rules because of this kind of thing? I think in our league it's like you have to play 1/4 of the games to make playoffs. We had a really good player join our team late and he played every game for the last couple of weeks, and he was one shy of making it into the playoffs.

I guess the most you can do is challenge the player if your league has that as a rule. I know in ours if you challenge them, they check the signatures on the sign in sheets and the players drivers license. Guess it really doesnt matter if someone happened to sign them in for games they werent there just so they get counted as a game played. You get a 2 min penalty if they are eligable though.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

3 shooters then if its tied after that its tied, guess they cant bother to do as many more shooters as needed after that point, might as well if youre going to a shootout to begin with

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Is there much of a difference between medium and large ice pants? Small is in my waist size but large has my height, while medium is only 1" short on my height. Just didnt want to order pants with a waist 6" bigger than I need, figured the length wouldnt be that much difference between M/L.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Finally got out onto the ice last night, few of the people I play inline with rent out a rink every week. Been wanting to play for awhile but finally got the rest of my gear pants/elbows/shoulders at a cheap used sale the other day. It was a lot of fun, definitely feel like I already had more control over my skating, stopping wise, than on inline.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Might as well add more to the fun stuff about being a captain. Our games are anywhere from 9:30-11:30 starts on Mon-Fri. So, as expected, people would complain about having to get up for work the next day when we had 11:30 starts on Mon-Weds, or that there werent enough Friday games so we could go out to the bar afterwards. Our schedule came out today, with the league starting 9/9, 7 Friday games, and a couple early Sunday night games added in. I figured, oh, this will make everyone happy since no one has to complain about work or not being able to drink after. Well, of course, 4 people back out of the team so they dont have to give up their Fridays, only one having already paid. Have a week to find 4 players, always fun stuff.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Vital Signs posted:

I guess our team is just lucky that we've had a pretty good core of guys together for so long. I imagine starting a new team would be a pain in the rear end. A lot of guys on my team have played adult together for 5-10 years. Our team name isn't even our sponsor anymore... that's how old the team is.

Yeah thats the thing, we have been playing for 2 years now with just about the same group, maybe adding/losing 1 person a season. Oh well

That is nice that you have been playing together for that long though, would be nice to keep most of my group together for that long, just makes it so much easier.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

#64, Got to play some 3v3 pickup at Consol last night, nothing will compare to skating on ice that is that perfect. Some of the video guys were still working while we were playing and were messing around putting up replays of us playing on the jumbotron, which was pretty cool.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

poser posted:

How did you get to play there?

I play on another team with someone who works there, guess they have employee ice time occasionally and they needed people. Apparently they never have had a goalie until my friend came tonight, or that many employees that even go and play.

Robo-Pope posted:

That's awesome.

Were the video guys putting up serious replays like shots on net, or hilarious ones like Jeff suddenly eating it at the blueline?

They did a couple of each, while they were trying out new layouts for different displays.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What does everyone use as a backstop for their goals, if any? I'd love to get one of those EZ Goals to shoot in my garage (I don't have a yard), but I don't want to piss off my neighbors with pucks banging against plywood if I miss.

I bought one of those impact nets off of ebay, I think it is 25'x12' and put it up behind my net, with a piece of PVC running through the bottom just to absorb some of the puck

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Has anyone tried cleaning their inline bearings? I've noticed I have been going a lot slower than when I first got the skates. I think they are Mission Swiss bearings, not sure if they are sealed or not. Wasnt sure what to try.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

lazerwolf posted:

Did you lube them up after you cleaned them? What did you clean them with?

I've cleaned mine after I played some outdoor and my bearings were dirty as all hell. Soaked them in acetone and spin them a few times to get the grime out. Let them FULLY dry then lube them up and they should be good to go.

I didnt try doing anything yet, wasnt sure what to try

Not even really sure how to lube them, they look like these, http://www.baysideblades.com.au/inline_skates_dt/skate_accessories/skate_bearings/red_pro_abec9_4pack.htm , do I have to pull off that rubber seal? If so, is there an easy way?

dms666 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 3, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

lazerwolf posted:

Some seals can be removed and some can't (i.e. if you remove they won't go back on)

My bearings had seals that couldn't be removed but I took them off anyway leaving the inner side on each bearing to help clean them more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmZhfvH9y0
That vid should help you with your bearings.

Just don't use WD40 as a lubricant.

Thanks, that video and this video were very helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEkAeVVivK8&feature=related

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Thufir posted:

Looks like my team might be pairing up with another from our league to play a game at Bridgestone in the next few weeks. That would rule pretty hard.

Yeah playing at an NHL rink is pretty amazing, the ice is so perfect, dont pass it up if you can get the teams to do it.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

cenzo posted:

I'm seriously considering getting one of those Tron sticks as a backup. I mean, it can't be any worse than the 8 year old 110 flex Synergy that I currently have ... right?

Me and two people on my team are going to split a 3 pack since it brings the cost down to $60 or something for the stick thats supposed to be comparable to an S15. Worth trying I guess

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Well ended up splitting a 3pack of those Tron's that are supposed to be compared to the S16. I apparently missed the sale, so emailed asking if they were doing it again, ended up giving them to me for $50 each, listed at $70. Will let everyone know how they are, since everyone seems to want to try them. http://www.hockeytron.com/tr154.html

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

This one team in my league who celebrates every goal like its the Cup Finals started having their few girlfriends bring airhorns to the games for goals. They were also yelling at other teams players over the glass. This is also the team that tries to fight people every single game. Hopefully they are somehow thrown out of the league next season.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Fingers McGee posted:

I have Supreme One 35's and they don't budge.

Same with my One40's

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

MiamiKid posted:

I've seen some posts about the Tron hockey sticks that some were considering trying out, anyone actually do that? If so I'd be interested to hear about it. I got an email from them advertising their Sr. gloves with a coupon making them half off (TRONGLOVE if anyone's wants), and was wondering if anyone had tried them out as well.

http://www.hockeytron.com/tr174.html

They compare them to Eagle gloves, which I know get rave reviews around here. Unfortunately Tron doesn't have any retailers near me or I'd go try some myself.

I bought a 3 pack that I split with 2 others on my team, it is a pretty light stick for the $50 it ended up being when they were on sale. I have only used it twice though, but I havent had any problems yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Are there any Pittsburgh goons here? I'm trying to join a team and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Are there any sites that people go on or anything? Basically I just go to pickup because that was all I had time for, but since I'm probably not going back to school next semester, I should have more free time (gonna get a job obviously but still, it'd be more regular than projects for 4 CS classes)

What rinks are you close to?