Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone got a high-res image of Earth 2 Special Low Frequency Version's cover? Want to make a wallpaper out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone got a high-res image of Earth 2 Special Low Frequency Version's cover? Want to make a wallpaper out of it.

I have just such a wallpaper.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks so much!

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Crackerman posted:

No idea. A Youtube search would suggest they're reasonably good but nothing amazing, but it just seemed like a fun gig and it's cheap.

I know what you mean, especially from Big Black on. I like Frequencies and Time Travelling Blues because there's a little psychedelic streak in them that they really lost later where they moved away from being a "stoner rock" band to just straight up heavy metal with nothing to make them stand out. Ward's voice can be really grating as well because it's totally flat and a lot of the time it sounds like he's making GBS threads himself.

The new album is a little bit fresher, but it's all sort of background music rather than something you actually listen to or get involved with.

The second half of the new album is a lot psychedelicker but if you really want heavy psych, you shouldn't be looking to orange goblin for it. One thing always makes orange goblin stand out no matter what they're playing and it's that they're loving loud.

flamingdawg fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 5, 2012

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Crackerman posted:

I know what you mean, especially from Big Black on. I like Frequencies and Time Travelling Blues because there's a little psychedelic streak in them that they really lost later where they moved away from being a "stoner rock" band to just straight up heavy metal with nothing to make them stand out. Ward's voice can be really grating as well because it's totally flat and a lot of the time it sounds like he's making GBS threads himself.

The new album is a little bit fresher, but it's all sort of background music rather than something you actually listen to or get involved with.

You know, I get that very same feeling regarding what Spiritual Beggars started doing ever since they changed vocalists yet again. On Fire kicks rear end, as does everything they did with Spice before that, but I haven't been able to get into the generic heavy metal of Return to Zero at all since it came out.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Crimsonjewfro posted:

You know, I get that very same feeling regarding what Spiritual Beggars started doing ever since they changed vocalists yet again. On Fire kicks rear end, as does everything they did with Spice before that, but I haven't been able to get into the generic heavy metal of Return to Zero at all since it came out.

Heard Grand Magus?

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
To the roadburn dudes, where will you be staying? I have the option of staying at Utrecht for free but I still have to catch trains to and from Tilburg, which isn't all that great or cheap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just got back from Earth with Ô PAON and Mount Eerie, Earth were great as always. If it comes to your area, check it out!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Elijah Snow posted:

To the roadburn dudes, where will you be staying? I have the option of staying at Utrecht for free but I still have to catch trains to and from Tilburg, which isn't all that great or cheap.

We'll be staying at the Beekse-Bergen campgrounds, it was a good time last year except for the cold. This year I'll bring a warmer sleeping bag, so I won't get sick again!

Speaking of which, does anyone know whether it's possible to book the night before the festival? We're planning at going to Holland on the 11th, so it'd be nice to set up camp the day before instead of rushing from Amsterdam on the 12th.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Oh god I will not be doing that ever again never, gently caress that poo poo, it was the coldest I've ever been in my life.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Elijah Snow posted:

Oh god I will not be doing that ever again never, gently caress that poo poo, it was the coldest I've ever been in my life.

Ayup. My mate and I have tried reserving at a hotel in or near Tilburg right after last year's edition ended but for some reason it's just impossible to do. We're just going to drive from and to Antwerp every single day as my mate's got a car, Tilburg isn't that far off all things considered.

Going to miss that awesome bus driver dude though.

EDIT: Gonna be my first Afterburner edition too, this iteration kind of beats every other single normal Roadburn day this year!

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just got back from Earth with Ô PAON and Mount Eerie, Earth were great as always. If it comes to your area, check it out!

I am going to the exact same thing in Edinburgh on Thursday. I certainly found out about this kinda music just in time. On that note I loved just about everything recommended to me earlier, thanks guys! Especially the really chill stuff like Earth, the stuff that's like post-rock if you replaced rock with heavy metal, is just so good

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Anybody who likes old school DM with heavy doses of doom, check out "Recollected Limbs," a compilation of demo, LP, and other tracks from Japanese band Transgressor.....

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I ran across this 20% slower and pitched down version of a Meshuggah song called "Bleed". There's stuff I like about Meshuggah and stuff I don't like. I don't really want to get into that. I just thought that it was interesting/crushing/slow/low. You can download a .mp3 of it from the link in the comments.

Slow Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfn9NMCSU9k
Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elNeQjTTnVo&ob=av2n

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Anybody who likes old school DM with heavy doses of doom, check out "Recollected Limbs," a compilation of demo, LP, and other tracks from Japanese band Transgressor.....

That's some pretty cool stuff. Some of the production is pretty demo-esque but some of it sounds pretty good though. It reminds me of some Incantation.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Going to see Corrosion of Conformity, Torche, and Valient Thorr this coming Saturday night! I'm excited, should be a good show.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Elijah Snow posted:

Me and some other guys got a Hotel around 20 km fro Tilburg. Looks like a great place with goats and chickens in the backyard, but we will probably rack up an obscene taxi bill. We'll try to rent bicycles a couple of days though.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm staying in the campsite again - I really hope it doesn't rain this time. Still, I slept pretty well with a nice sleeping bag (not to mention being really stoned). Met loads of cool dudes last time, so I'm looking forward to it.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
It's a weird place to ask but have you guys heard about any stoner rock bands playing SXSW? Small Stone always has a showcase and there's another pysch showcase with a bunch of bands I've never heard. I just noticed Truckfighters are playing tonight which is a pleasant surprise.

Apologies for the Austin-specificity but maybe there's some valuable crossover here.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
I just played a gig with Lo-Pan and it was pretty great... not really anything of real importance to post, but I feel good about it and I'm kind of drunk...

Anybody dig Lo-Pan?

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

Globochem posted:

It's a weird place to ask but have you guys heard about any stoner rock bands playing SXSW? Small Stone always has a showcase and there's another pysch showcase with a bunch of bands I've never heard. I just noticed Truckfighters are playing tonight which is a pleasant surprise.

Apologies for the Austin-specificity but maybe there's some valuable crossover here.

I think High on Fire are playing like 5 gigs. Not really psych, but still pretty awesome.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Pallbearer seems to be lurking around SXSW, not sure of much more than that. Not exactly stoner rock.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"Blabbermouth posted:

Southern Lord has announced a deluxe reissue of one of the towering achievements in metal history, "Dopesmoker" by SLEEP.

For the 2012 reissue, there are some very notable changes. The original studio tapes have been remastered, presenting the album as the band had originally intended. The audio is clearer, louder, and at last brings a true representation of SLEEP's hour-plus Weedian chronicle. Exclusive to this Southern Lord edition is brand new artwork by longtime SLEEP artist Arik Roper, to be unveiled in the coming weeks. Additionally, this reborn version of "Dopesmoker" boasts an unreleased live recording of one of the band's best all-time performances: "Holy Mountain" from San Francisco's I-Beam in 1994.

This edition ensures that this mesmerizing, incredibly complex document remains unrivaled in the annals of stoner metal.

"Dopesmoker" track listing:

01. Dopesmoker (1:03:31)
02. Holy Mountain (Live @ the I-Beam SF, CA. 1994) (11:54)

quote:

The audio is clearer, louder, and at last brings a true representation of SLEEP's hour-plus Weedian chronicle.

quote:

The audio is clearer, louder,

quote:

louder

:stare:

Hold onto your ear-butts, gentlemen.
Seeing Sleep twice this year. Dream come true.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It's going to be interesting to see if they can deliver on those claims. I honestly can't imagine anything sounding better than the Tee Pee Dopesmoker release. It's kind of weird that they're including that "Holy Mountain" recording; I have a bootleg of that I-Beam show and I don't remember it being anything spectacular. There are other bootlegs from that same Hawkwind tour that are much better in my opinion, and it would have made a lot more sense for them to include one of the faster versions of "Dopesmoker" that the band played on that tour.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I hope it's out by the time they come touring here in May.

Graveyard played here on friday and goddamn they were awesome. Do not miss the chance of seeing them live.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

Juaguocio posted:

It's going to be interesting to see if they can deliver on those claims. I honestly can't imagine anything sounding better than the Tee Pee Dopesmoker release. It's kind of weird that they're including that "Holy Mountain" recording; I have a bootleg of that I-Beam show and I don't remember it being anything spectacular. There are other bootlegs from that same Hawkwind tour that are much better in my opinion, and it would have made a lot more sense for them to include one of the faster versions of "Dopesmoker" that the band played on that tour.

Or just include Sonic Titan again. That song is awesome. I wish they would do a studio version of it.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Yeah but is the Tee Pee recording still available somewhere? Right now I'm stuck with one measly Jerusalem CD so I'm getting this re-issue for sure.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nosophoros posted:

Yeah but is the Tee Pee recording still available somewhere? Right now I'm stuck with one measly Jerusalem CD so I'm getting this re-issue for sure.

oop but attainable if you're willing to pay. it's a drag though, 2 lps means chaning sides 4 times and it kind of takes away from the experience.

i will def buy the reissue, even tho i have jerusalem and the tee pee dopesmoker 8)

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

This could very well be known to all of you but it's new to me and this is some great stuff:

http://soundcloud.com/sch0ber/eagle-twin-crow-hymn !

Chest3r
Dec 8, 2003
nutsack.

nosophoros posted:

This could very well be known to all of you but it's new to me and this is some great stuff:

http://soundcloud.com/sch0ber/eagle-twin-crow-hymn !
Eagle Twin is awesome, yes. Been mentioned a few times I think/hope

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
New Conan album is streaming on Metal Hammer, and it's loving good.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/heavy-alert-conan-stream-new-album-monnos-exclusively-with-metal-hammer/

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Wow, this is going to be amazing, http://www.doommantia.com/2012/03/mike-scheidt-of-yob-solo-album-stay.html

A mellow acoustic album from mike scheidt? Can't wait for June!

EDIT - Cool, recorded by Tad Doyle!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't wait to see what he comes up with.
Seeing Yob in May with Sleep, can't wait. Prepare the Ground from Atma is one of the heaviest things I've heard in years.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

For all you U.S. Christmas fans, Nate Hall has a track from his upcoming solo album here, http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/03/13/natehalltrackstream/.

SaintJacques
Jan 18, 2009

it's a fucking bear
The new Melvins EP is out!

http://scionav.com/collection/917/The-Melvins---The-Bulls--The-Bees

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

SaintJacques posted:

It is pretty solid, in my opinion. It is still Melvins/Big Business doing some cool stuff, but I am REALLY looking forward to hearing what Freak Puke is going to sound like. I miss the droney, spacey jams and I'm hoping for some of that.

Also, Cough and Dragged Into Sunlight are coming through my town early summer. So pumped. I would love to see them with Weedeater, but the closest show is a 4 hour drive. Anyone else going to see them?

EDIT: Also, go HERE to jam the new Conan album, Monnos which sounds pretty massively/awesomely heavy. You can actually hear the vocals!

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 14, 2012

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

SaintJacques posted:

Holy poo poo there's a free download! Thanks to you and Buzz both!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I busted out some Winter today and it was awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aifCCIBOnxg

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 15, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Polegrinder posted:

Wow, this is going to be amazing, http://www.doommantia.com/2012/03/mike-scheidt-of-yob-solo-album-stay.html

A mellow acoustic album from mike scheidt? Can't wait for June!

EDIT - Cool, recorded by Tad Doyle!

Holy poo poo, he was just about the last person I expected to do an acoustic album, but somehow it just feels right. I'll be waiting for this one.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Oh baby! Ahab's working on new poo poo again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HwMoEzcw2kk

I loved Wretched Sea, busted a nut for Divinity of Oceans, I hope this one keeps up the trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-Jigs
Apr 1, 2005

its a cookie
A friend of mine introduced me to this relatively newish New Zealand band Beastwars the other day. I dig their kind of dirty sludgy stoner sound.

http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/