Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekrob
Sep 4, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

i love sourvein, but imo all of their latter output pales in comparison with will to mangle.

Yeah, I generally agree with that, though I do like Black Fangs a lot. Don't like the new splits as much. A good portion of their set was older stuff, Dirty South, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

mekrob posted:

Yeah, I generally agree with that, though I do like Black Fangs a lot. Don't like the new splits as much. A good portion of their set was older stuff, Dirty South, etc.

saw em at roadburn 2014, they were pretty good. mostly suffered from the early slot, around 4pm and playing in a stage WAY too big for them.

anyone else into honky? has jeff pinkus from butthole surfers on bass & their guitarist recently joined down to replace kirk windstein. kind of a southern boogie / stoner / 90s (alt?) rock mix i guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78pEAuX2bQ

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 21, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

saw em at roadburn 2014, they were pretty good. mostly suffered from the early slot, around 4pm and playing in a stage WAY too big for them.

anyone else into honky? has jeff pinkus from butthole surfers on bass & their guitarist recently joined down to replace kirk windstein. kind of a southern boogie / stoner / 90s (alt?) rock mix i guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78pEAuX2bQ

I saw them open for Melvins two years ago (although it's weird calling them an opener when 2/3 were in Melvins, as they had Dale on drums) and they were a lot of fun. On record I don't enjoy it as much.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

Henchman of Santa posted:

On record I don't enjoy it as much.

Same, saw them open for Melvins and I enjoyed it much better live than on record.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
What are some bands similar to Fórn?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Guys, I just saw Yob from the front row and it might have been the greatest hour of my life. Holy poo poo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hulk Krogan posted:

Guys, I just saw Yob from the front row and it might have been the greatest hour of my life. Holy poo poo.

Hail Satan. Yob might have the best live performance of any band I've seen so far.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yob is so rad it's just silly and unfair.

I got to catch Conan, Samothrace and Mantar night before last.
I caught the last couple Samothrace songs, they were tight and I dug it, maybe a bit drawn out for my tastes. The drummer from Samothrace has the longest dreads I have ever seen, they stop just below his knees.

Mantar ruled. They are a two piece. The guitarist puts on a tremendous show and he likes to spit a lot. Super heavy for just guitar and drums.

Conan was Conan. It was so good to be bathed in that thunder. I've seen people say the vocals were turn off live but I think it sounded fine. One thing that was kind of funny...when they were setting up and sound checking the guitarist was playing Nirvana songs not very well, as in he was figuring them out on the spot.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 22, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I actually endured the repetitive lyrics of Orchids Mouths of Madness and after Marching Dogs of War the album actually gets good.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Just saw Sinister Haze play to a crowd of all of 25 people. Was really, really good.

https://sinisterhaze.bandcamp.com/album/betrayed-by-time

Out in a few days, they played some off of it, sounds great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

nerve posted:

Just saw Sinister Haze play to a crowd of all of 25 people. Was really, really good.

https://sinisterhaze.bandcamp.com/album/betrayed-by-time

Out in a few days, they played some off of it, sounds great.

Theres no play button in the site.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Is there a better live band these days than Earthless? Their set in London last night was just ridiculous.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Is there a better live band these days than Earthless? Their set in London last night was just ridiculous.
Oh God I can't wait for Tuesday

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Laserface posted:

Yeah like I said not out for a few days ;p

I'm assuming when it releases they will allow streaming but I guess maybe not!?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

You can hear the lead track off of their new album, Lucifer I, towards the end of Fenriz's most recent radio show. It's called, Abradacabra. Sounds pretty promising.

https://soundcloud.com/heavytassen/01-radio-fenriz-two-may-2015?in=heavytassen/sets/radio-fenriz-two

I'm finally getting a chance to listen to this. Thanks for pointing it out. :hfive:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

big scary monsters posted:

Hail Satan. Yob might have the best live performance of any band I've seen so far.

They're so good, I forgot I was even at the show. "Marrow" finished and I felt like I was coming out of a trance.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

New Bong release today! We are, we were and we will have been

quote:

"We are, we were and we will have been" continues Bong’s unregulated experiments on tonal prolonging. Solemn in its delivery and frightening in its implications, this latest album signifies a point of no return from the Pied Pipers of mesmeric drone, its two near twenty minute tracks will surely loop and envelop indefinitely, freeing the listener from this increasingly unfamiliar material world and mercifully trapping them in the weightlessness of Bong’s sonic void.

Microtonal adjustments and invading frequencies are pleated in to a tapestry of gooey guitar and midnight-ritual percussion, melting at a glacial pace across ‘Time Regained’ and ‘Find Your Own Gods’. The first of the two tracks creaks under the weight of residual distortion and unfathomable density, while the second opens with the powerful command of the track title, evoking a deity-defying thought process that unravels through the duration of the song, providing the synth-mist and distant rumbles with an origin so ancient it predates comprehension.

It's, uh, Bong. No big surprises: if you like their other stuff you'll like this, if not then probably not. At less than 40 minutes running length across two tracks it's more of an EP really though. :v:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Laserface posted:

https://badgrrrlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sinister-haze

You can hear 2 tracks from them here.

Edit: I just saw that they played the Poison Lawn in Knoxville on 5/1. Poison Lawn is an awesome DIY venue that is a basically a room the size of a double car garage (I think it use to be carport) attached to a house where the band playing stays (which is nice when you compare it to how trashed the venue side is). I wish I heard of them before I missed the show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 26, 2015

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

This. I feel like a tool describing it to folks unfamiliar with their music because they come off sounding like a generic jam band, for gently caress's sake. A straight hour of predominantly slow-to-midtempo three-piece instrumental jam? That's a turnoff to so many people.

A big part of their appeal for me was how effortlessly they accelerated and slowed down as a unit and how it allows them to seamlessly transition between songs or riffs. It's so rare to see an instrumental unit where the guitar has the spotlight pretty much from start to finish, yet you're at all times keenly aware of the bass and drums doing their part and keeping everyone's heads on straight. He's not even really that amazing a guitarist (though he's fuckin good); they're just a sterling example of a band that's so much more than the sum of their parts. I don't have words to describe how sick that set at Psycho Fest was. I missed almost all of Elder for it, goddamnit, yet if I went back I'd pick Earthless again in a heartbeat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'd never listened to Bong. Extremely my poo poo. Thanks. Fart.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Motherfucking NEUROSIS just announced a US tour.

http://officialneurosis.blogspot.com/2015/05/neurosis-to-embark-on-their-most.html

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Neurosis, Brothers of the Sonic Cloth, and The Body. Hot drat.

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
Hey all, my band Lungs just started our pre-order and we released the first track off it today, check it out if you like. Dynamic post-metal sludgy type stuff for the most part. We're from Minneapolis, on a label called Minnesconsin Records. Proud to release this one and I thought some of you might be into it.

https://lungsmetal.bandcamp.com/

https://minnesconsin.bandcamp.com/ - lots of rad poo poo here

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some bands that sound like 40 Watt Sun?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

What are some bands that sound like 40 Watt Sun?

warning

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Perfect, thank you!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also incredibly obvious, although not as obvious as the band that 40 Watt Sun came from, Pallbearer.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Falls Motel posted:

Hey all, my band Lungs just started our pre-order and we released the first track off it today, check it out if you like. Dynamic post-metal sludgy type stuff for the most part. We're from Minneapolis, on a label called Minnesconsin Records. Proud to release this one and I thought some of you might be into it.

https://lungsmetal.bandcamp.com/

https://minnesconsin.bandcamp.com/ - lots of rad poo poo here

I like this a lot and I like the album cover. Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Stoked for this:

AHAB posted:

Our new album is an interpretation of William Hope Hodgson's "The Boats Of The Glen Carrig" and it will be released on August 28th (as LTD 6 page Digipak + Bonus Track, 2LP Gatefold edition, strictly limited Wooden Box Edition + Ultra Deluxe Canvas Edition. Pre-orders will start on June 18th.
"The Boats Of The Glen Carrig" tracklist:
01. "The Isle"
02. "The Thing That Made Search"
03. "Like Read Foam (The Storm)"
04. "The Weedmen"
05. "To Mourn Job"
06. "The Light in the Weed (Mary Madison)" (bonus)

Album Cover:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Stoked for this:

Album Cover:

Oh man I'm loving psyched! I hope they do a tour to go along with it. I actually dig that album cover too...very colorful and bright for an Ahab album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yessssssss

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Stoked for this:

Album Cover:

Awesome album art, seems Ernst Haeckel inspired.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What a great week of shows, just saw Ufomammut, Conan, and last night Portal all at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn.

Now Bongzilla coming up in a couple weeks things are looking good this summer :woop:

E- small venues are the best

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 29, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Stoked for this:

Album Cover:

Aaron Gregory is being really salty about it on Facebook because it looks vaguely like the alternate cover of The Ichthyologist.

Giant Squid posted:

I love AHAB. One of my favorite bands going today. Divinity of Oceans is almost perfect and is one of the only albums from a band I've just spontaneously acclaimed out of the blue on this page. The Giant was great too, and I'm sure this new album will crush. And, as an illustrator, that album art is amazingly well done, truly beautiful. Except... eeesh, that sure reminds me of a cover of a certain landmark album by a certain band... Anyone else feeling me on this? Seems I'm not the only one calling it out in the comments. Eh, whatever I guess.
Remember that one time we wrote an album about the New Jersey shark attacks, and then another band did it two years later. Yeah, me too. Sigh...

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Snowy posted:

What a great week of shows, just saw Ufomammut, Conan, and last night Portal all at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn.

I'm kinda glad I live nowhere NYC. Even if I made a decent wage, I think I'd still be broke if I lived in the area just from going to either St. Vitus or The Stone almost every night.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Aaron Gregory is being really salty about it on Facebook because it looks vaguely like the alternate cover of The Ichthyologist.

Is this the alternate cover of The Ichthyologist? If so, it seems like a stretch to be complaining about that.

edit: especially since the regular album cover is basically a rip off of Ernst Haeckel. Thanks for pointing him out Trees and Squids.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 29, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Yeah, "hand with a mouth on it" isn't a particularly unique image. That Ahab cover is loving fantastic though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

O.D.R.A. - Sexnarkoman

Sludge with a taste for EHG's early stuff, if you couldn't guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just saw a great set of Weedeater and I'm about to see Bongzilla. I'm pretty loving psyched.