Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, I'm lost on this one. If you're just a dyed-in-the-blue collar wool stoner metal fan, then I could see how the post-Sabbath stuff Ozzy did was less than appealing and if you hate the Beatles then one could equate the too. Does he really hate on the Ozzy era Sabbath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Maybe he meant 'definitive poo poo' instead of "definite poo poo"?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty sure that was a typo.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I read it as a typo because no other interpretation makes sense. Especially not in the context of this thread.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

seeing Sleep & Windhand in a few hours :slick:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Maybe he meant 'definitive poo poo' instead of "definite poo poo"?

yeah totally meant definitive, not definite, hah!

love ozzy era sabbath and eh, beatles are fine too. and when you combine the two you get type o negative, so there's that.

not a fan of ozzys solos to be honest, even the ones with randy. too much cheeseball stuff, like van halen.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I Want You (She's So Heavy) is proto-doom

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Silver Brushes posted:

I Want You (She's So Heavy) is proto-doom

revisionism!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Dio was the best Sabbath vocalist but the early Ozzy Sabbath was the best Sabbath imo.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Tony Martin was the second best Sabbath vocalist, Headless Cross rules, Tyr rules

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've recently come to appreciate the version of "Black Sabbath" off Live Evil. Dio is spectacular on that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJwR8OdL_ME

funeral fag posted:

Tony Martin was the second best Sabbath vocalist, Headless Cross rules, Tyr rules

I need to dig into this stuff. Can't even say I know what Tony Martin sounds like.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

funeral fag posted:

hah, my friend thinks this too! i'm personally not a huge fan of headless cross or tyr but i agree that tony martin maybe fits sabbath better. would have been really interesting if martin had been the vocalist on mob rules and heaven & hell

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I need to dig into this stuff. Can't even say I know what Tony Martin sounds like.

I'm on my cell phone so I'm not posting youtube links but check out Anno Mundi and Nightwing. Dude had some serious pipes

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Here's some unearthed studio footage of Dopethrone being recorded: http://geargods.net/in-studio/electric-wizard-dopethrone-recording/

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Idioteque Dance posted:

Here's some unearthed studio footage of Dopethrone being recorded: http://geargods.net/in-studio/electric-wizard-dopethrone-recording/

For some reason I read that as Dopesmoker and was really confused for a second.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

This is just a two-hour film of a cloud of weed smoke

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Weedle posted:

This is just a two-hour film of a cloud of weed smoke

:soundsgoodman:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Cult of Luna are doing five dates with Julie Christmas, and they'll be doing Mariner in its entirety. You jerks in Europe get all the breaks:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that bong technique...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Saw Sleep up in Portland last night and they owned. That's all.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Detective Thompson posted:

Saw them on Thursday in NYC and can confirm.

Great set - pretty much every song I hoped they would play - opened with Dragonaut, played Holy Mountain, The Clarity, a good portion of Dopesmoker, Aquarian, From Beyond as the closer, also included Sonic Titan which was a nice touch in particular.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Indeed, saw them the 2nd night in Philly and it was really good, like as good as Yob live. They had awesome merch too, I got my first ever tour poster

and this shirt

also there was a guy dressed in this

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Dragonaut tee represent

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If we're talking Sleep merch, this is the back of my vest.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleep live in Dublin in 2012 was the best show I've ever been to. They played for AGES in a tiny venue. Nearly all of Dopesmoker.

Saw them two days later in Alexandra Palace in London but it wasn't anywhere near as good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just gonna have to imagine I posted my Dragonaut tee here because some motherfucker stole it out my laundry basket last year :smith:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just saw Sleep in DC and I know this may come as some surprise but they were good

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ufomammut and Monolord Touring AUS in october.

gently caress. yes.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Silver Brushes posted:

Just saw Sleep in DC and I know this may come as some surprise but they were good

It was a great show. Good to see they sold it out. The merch line was insane.

This was the first show in my 27 years of concerts where I wore earplugs and holy poo poo I wish I wasn't so stupid in the past. I could hear the songs better and my ears aren't killing me this morning.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

Sup Maine buddy. Best show i've seen in years.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
oh hey DC sleep attendees. that was such a great show. hearing a good chunk of dopesmoker live was just :swoon: and the sound in there was great. tone so thick

i hope some better videos surface. i didn't want to be THAT GUY in standing room holding up my phone to record for more than 30 secs at a time, but the clips i got have better sound than any of the YT uploads so far :saddowns:

edit: Sleep just announced a 7/26 benefit for Pulse victims. 100% of proceeds donated https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/mobile/index/1235277?utm_medium=bks

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 27, 2016

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

emdash posted:

oh hey DC sleep attendees. that was such a great show. hearing a good chunk of dopesmoker live was just :swoon: and the sound in there was great. tone so thick

i hope some better videos surface. i didn't want to be THAT GUY in standing room holding up my phone to record for more than 30 secs at a time, but the clips i got have better sound than any of the YT uploads so far :saddowns:

edit: Sleep just announced a 7/26 benefit for Pulse victims. 100% of proceeds donated https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/mobile/index/1235277?utm_medium=bks

Got a text about that benefit show at work, bought them immediately. Awesome to finally see Sleep, and very cool that it's for a good cause.

edit: Holy poo poo I just realized that Boris is in Tampa two days after Sleep in Orlando :2bong:

Shakenbaker fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 27, 2016

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Shakenbaker posted:

Got a text about that benefit show at work, bought them immediately. Awesome to finally see Sleep, and very cool that it's for a good cause.

edit: Holy poo poo I just realized that Boris is in Tampa two days after Sleep in Orlando :2bong:

Anyone else gonna be at the Orlando show? There is a 90% chance that I will be going, hopefully the tickets don't sell out before pay day. I'll most likely be across the street at that bar (forgot the name) with the christmas lights and barrel seats. It's my 40th bday (well on July 13th), so what an awesome way to celebrate.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

What stoner/doom do I want to investigate if I dig loud, noisy and evil sounding stuff like Electric Wizard's masterpiece of a song Mind Transferral?

I have (other) EW material, Saturnalia Temple and I was told to look into Cough.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oliver Reed posted:

What stoner/doom do I want to investigate if I dig loud, noisy and evil sounding stuff like Electric Wizard's masterpiece of a song Mind Transferral?

I have (other) EW material, Saturnalia Temple and I was told to look into Cough.

Tell me, have you ever heard of a band called Sleep? Because you should check out their album, Volume One. And then their other stuff too.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

BONGRIPPER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDz5qphC3c

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Basically this forever.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Has Greenleaf (I know right?) been mentioned in this thread?

Definitely NOT in the same vein as Sleep or Bongripper, these guys remind me more of Clutch and the more classical Sabbath influenced bands like Graveyard. I just got turned on to them today, but I think it's dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjfZ8hw3GM

Yay for Swedish stoner rock.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

hatelull posted:

Has Greenleaf (I know right?) been mentioned in this thread?

Definitely NOT in the same vein as Sleep or Bongripper, these guys remind me more of Clutch and the more classical Sabbath influenced bands like Graveyard. I just got turned on to them today, but I think it's dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjfZ8hw3GM

Yay for Swedish stoner rock.

I'm sure Greenleaf have been mentioned somewhere. They've been around for over 15 years, and I can remember listening to their songs on the old stonerrock.com jukebox.

I guess they've got a new singer now. In the early days they were pretty much just Dozer under a different name. You'll probably dig Dozer too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCaxhMOYmM

Boy, I forgot how much I like Swedish stoner rock. Now I feel like digging into some Lowrider and Sgt. Sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
NPR has the new Inter Arma streaming: http://www.npr.org/2016/06/30/483234758/first-listen-inter-arma-paradise-gallows