Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Went to Tuska 2011 this weekend.

Electric Wizard were awesome. It must've been like hell, the sun was blazing straight at them and it was +30C even in the shade. Didn't seem to slow them down though and the audience loved them.

Although I was looking forward to Killing Joke the most, Church of Misery might have pulled my favorite gig of the whole festival. They had insane energy (especially the singer) and they were probably the only band where all members were really into it and actually contacted with the audience.

Ghost was also a pleasant surprise, I wasn't familiar with them before, but found myself stuck in the tent for the whole gig even if my plan was just to bounce around the stages trying to pass time until Devin Townsend came on. Say what you will about their gimmick and to be honest I don't much care for the whole satan thing, but they sure put on an entertaining show. Music is pretty good too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

HMorg posted:

I was there as well. My favorites were Electric Wizard, Church of Misery and Jex Thoth (see a pattern there?). Ghost were also good, even though I spent the entire set outside the tent smoking cigarettes.

Did you happen to see a guy in a red trucker hat with the letter 'H' on the front? Also, are you local or did you come from somewhere else?

I live in Espoo, so almost local. ;)

I didn't go on sunday anymore, the only band I knew was Meshuggah and although I would've loved to see them play, I was just too tired.

Do you mean sort of like a Mario hat? Did you also have a moustache on? (my memory is a bit hazy) If so I think I saw you leaving right when Devin Townsend was finishing up. If you spotted someone wearing this t-shirt, it was most likely me. :)

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Why won't YOB come to Finland on that tour? :negative: Would you like to deliver them a message? Oh well, at least we get UFOmammut next month.

Roland Cubes are supposed to be good and affordable practice amps. I got one too, but I was too lazy to really put time into playing. I'm trying to muster up the motivation again.

And drat you all and your awesome recommendations, I've already bought a ridiculous amount of CD's during the past few weeks.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Finally gave Yob's Atma a spin and maybe I'm a tone deaf brute, but I don't understand why some complain about the sound quality.

Also really looking forward to next weekend : Truckfighters on friday and Ufomammut (+ Morkobot) on saturday. :coal:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, that wasn't exactly an easy decision. To be honest I'm still not sure which one I want to see more.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

nosophoros posted:

Morkobot is pretty good (and they're probably the UFOMAMMUT chaps in disguise I reckon)

Have some Morkobot: http://youtu.be/qvawu9X_gzk
& Kongh: http://youtu.be/qTGj4Ln6pfM

Nah, totally different people. Saw Ufomammut and Morkobot on saturday and both were great. Morkobot was a pleasant surprise actually, I bought their new CD from the venue (the other bass player was on sale duty :cool: ). Their stuff is quite hypnotic, but it's so much better heard live and REALLY loving LOUD.

Bring plenty of cash with you so you can score their CD's, t-shirts and some pretty bitchin' silkscreens (they range from 25 to 85 euros, sadly I was unable to score one).

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I think she talked more during that interview than Neil.

Can't wait to see Clutch in a few weeks. First time for me and they're like the best band ever. :allears:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Yes. Ghost is better live than on the album I think. And they've probably improved even more with the constant touring.

Also, the Heavy Eyes album is awesome.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Cometa Rossa posted:

Somebody name me a couple of really, really, really slow doom albums.

I was just recently introduced to Omit. Warning : contains melodic singing.

And holy poo poo did Clutch kick rear end on wednesday. I may be biased, but it was definitely the best gig for me this year. Only Motörhead remaines as a challenger, we'll see how they compare in a few weeks. :rock:

The audience absolutely loved them to pieces and it didn't go unnoticed. Neil even seemed a bit overwhelmed. :3: He could only keep repeating "thank you" and "that's what I'm talking about". :buddy:

First time I heard Kamchatka too, they were pretty good. Neil invited their guitar player on stage for a short jam session and he looked like it was the best time of his life.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Going to see Sleep at the end of May :worship:
Also Yob, Melvins, WitTR, Slayer and Death Grips...all for €50 :holy:

Also gonna see Sleep in may. And not only that, OM was just confirmed to play in Finland in april. :aaa: This is shaping up to be an awesome year gig-wise.

Is Sleep always this expensive? The tickets are 35 euros here, which is a lot compared to usual prices.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The same thing happened to me about a year ago. I had been a heavy/fast/slow/loud/metal fan who had kind of given up on finding anything new that really moved me. I had listened to bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard and Weedeater but I had no idea that there was such a substantial genre to explore until I happened across this thread. There is tons of good poo poo. A lot of it absolutely crushing, I had no idea. I didn't know how to use the words "doom", "stoner" or "sludge" to find good stuff because I didn't know there was good stuff to find. Now I know. Thanks slow music thread dudes!

Count me in for another lucky one to find his love for music again thanks to this thread. :unsmith:

One buddy introduced me to stoner stuff years ago, but when I lost contact with him, I kind of slumped into listening to only few bands and of course that gets boring in the long run. Only being aware of the stuff in the mainstream made me declare creativity and good music dead, but somehow I stumbled upon this thread and realised there isn't a lack of good music, there's almost too much of it. I keep finding all sorts of cool bands and I actually have trouble finding the time to listen to all the albums I just HAVE to get.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I hope it's out by the time they come touring here in May.

Graveyard played here on friday and goddamn they were awesome. Do not miss the chance of seeing them live.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
OM's new album Advaitic Songs release date announced : http://vimeo.com/39645699 (July 24th)

They're playing here tonight, but I don't know if I have the energy to go. :(
As if that wouldn't be enough, tomorrow : Earth. :supaburn:

Metanaut fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 6, 2012

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I'm still kicking myself for missing Om last week. :( If that article is correct, sounds like the new album is going to be more complex than their previous stuff (+ this video preview I posted earlier hints that way too http://vimeo.com/39645699).

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

Sleep's new version of Dopesmoker is finally here!

https://www.southernlord.com/sleep.php

:woop:

Hells yeah, CD + shirt pack ordered. So the CD is available right now, the LPs are out later?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Angryhead posted:

Anyone spotted a place that sells the Dopesmoker reissue in Europe?
I'd rather not pay 20$+ for shipping.

Amazon UK for example, but it's released May 8th and plain CD version only.

What package were you trying to buy? The CD + shirt came with $12.94 shipping total for me. Worth it. :colbert:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Seems like Southern Lord started shipping the Dopesmoker CDs. :getin:

And I'll see them live for the first time next tuesday. Life is good.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Sleep was indeed amazing! Without a doubt one of the best gigs I've ever seen. They sound massive live, my jeans were flapping from the sound pressure. So bring your plugs, I saw a few fools digging their bare aching ears.

They didn't have the new Dopesmoker on sale (or any albums), but I don't personally mind since my copy arrived just in time yesterday along with the t-shirt which I proudly displayed at the gig. :cool:

They played for 2 hours straight, so you definitely get your moneys worth.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

nosophoros posted:

I agree. It irks me for no valid reason at all, but still.

I've never heard anyone getting upset for this. :psyduck: At least here many people wear band shirts and those who buy shirts at the gigs immediately put them on, is that weird too? How about sports fans wearing team shirts etc. to a match?

I agree a band wearing their own stuff feels kinda off, but then again, the only time that seems to happen if it's a lesser known band so it's understandable they want to "advertise".

And like I said, I got the Dopesmoker stuff that day and left it lying around, so that shirt was literally the first one within reach when I came out of the shower, so I thought "why not". Clearly it was a mistake and I must be more careful in the future not to pull off such a monumental faux pas.

Enough of that nonsense : the new Ufomammut album seems to be out, anyone checked it out yet?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Juaguocio posted:

Are they still doing "Antarcticans Thawed" on this tour? I don't think that tune has ever been recorded.

They played it here (Finland).

With Al repeating how some songs are not on record yet at pretty much every gig, I'm sure we'll get a new album soon. :dance:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
What do you me...

Oh. :btroll:

The recent hospital visit is probably related, glad he's getting help. As someone who has experienced a brain clot, it's really drat scary. Especially after you learn what has happened and what it can cause.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
"Review" copies are out, huh?

New Clutch single was just released :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQLM0e6l5pM

Album can't come out soon enough.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
The fact that it's a new Om album is enough to encourage me. :colbert:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, it's been confirmed Pigtown Blues is not on the album. It continues more in the line of the acoustic stuff they did for the second disc that came with the new pressing of Blast Tyrant.

Here's another new song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKWBkPDuDFY

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Welcome to stoner rock. WEEDBONGSATAN.

Perhaps Lowrider or Truckfighters would work for you?

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Finally got my copy of Advaitic Songs and oh my :swoon:

Om keeps getting better by every album.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Graveyard has a new album coming out in a few weeks :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8jqUHYiSl0

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

nosophoros posted:

Seeing as Soundgarden is only tangentially related to this thread I'll just chime in to say something completely unrelated about the new Graveyard album Lights Out in that it is better than Hisingen Blues after a couple of listens.

It seems some people are disappointed, because it's a tiny bit less rocking than the previous albums. For now I think : best album = first one and this after Hisingen, but it's definitely not bad in any sense, I still like it, just not as much the other two.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Ghost will release their new album "soon" (April?). First single Secular Haze is out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN2GCjPh0Hw

B-side features Abba-cover ”I’m A Marionette” with Dave Grohl on the drums and as producer. (:psyduck: @ everything in that sentence)

To mark the occasion, they've lately performed a lead singer switch ceremony in their live shows. "Papa Emeritus II" now replacing Papa I, but it's obviously still the same guy (very likely Tobias Forge).

Album details :

Infestissumam
01. Infestissumam
02. Per Aspera Ad Inferi
03. Secular Haze
04. Jigolo Har Megiddo
05. Ghuleh / Zombie Queen
06. Year Zero
07. Idolatrine
08. Body And Blood
09. Depth Of Satans Eyes
10. Monstrance Clock

You can pre-order here to get a signed copy. How exactly will it be signed, since one of the bands main things is complete anonymity is a good question.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
:supaburn: Holy poo poo :supaburn:

Earthrocker.com posted:

CLUTCH’s new album Earth Rocker is available for pre-order exclusively at https://www.clutchmerch.com. Fans can pre-order the record individually or partake in the special fan-friendly bundle packages that are being offered. WEATHERMAKER MUSIC has confirmed a March 19, 2013 North American release date for the CLUTCH Earth Rocker CD and Vinyl.

And come play in Finland again you jerks.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Polegrinder posted:

What are some of the better female fronted doom/stoner bands out there? I've had Windhand on heavy rotation since 2010 when they put out the Practice Space demo, High Priest of Saturn is another I like, I have Devil's Blood, Rituals of the Oak, The Wounded Kings, etc. I'm just feeling like I'm missing some. I like the way the female vocals sound against the heavy crushing riffs. Hopefully stuff that is painfully slow and heavy.

Thanks

Try Omit :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_i2-MCt0s

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Awesome Welles posted:

Getting closer to Truckfighters new album, still enjoying the poo poo out of Prophet from last year. I've been hooked on these guys ever since I heard Gravity X.

Aren't they supposed to be awesome live? I still haven't seen them perform :(

Yes they are. I think they're starting their european tour right about now.

I've seen them once live before and will definitely be checking them out again when they come here.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Don't forget Samsara Blues Experiment.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Yob + Pallbearer tomorrow. :black101:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

ElectricWizard posted:

Caught them on sunday. Pallbearer was good, but YOB was amazing. They played the entire new album, and added some tracks including Quantum Mystic and Kosmos for good measure. They're one of the most consistently fantastic live bands I've ever seen, goddamn. Monolord also kicked some serious rear end, so make sure to see them if they're ever in your area.

Yob kicked off with Ball of Molten Lead and ended with Adrift in the Ocean. :vince:

Pallbearer was good too.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Oh hell yes

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/clutch-to-release-psychic-warfare-album-in-october-cover-artwork-track-listing-revealed/

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

:captainpop:

That some heavy poo poo.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo , Lowrider just released a new album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdbbtwtdEY

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Clutch played two short sessions live on youtube (one just finished) and plan on doing many more soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhWErtLTe8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Oranssi Pazuzu will stream playing their latest album live in 60 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfANRKPnC8M