Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ London STD clinic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
unearthly trance possibly broke up

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Boris has gone from being a consistently good band to consistently poo poo I couldn't care less for.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^^ Those guys sound exactly like Unearthly Trance to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-E0n3DJHg

Maybe the first Salome album would fit too? Here's a preview thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmxh0_uMlK0

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

aliencowboy posted:

I loved Salome's self-titled, but I couldn't get into Terminal at all.

I like it a lot now but it was def a disappointment at first. I was expecting more of the same and would probably have been happy with it, but I really like the direction they're taking and def have respect for those guys for growing as a band and not just doing the same album with different chords. Maybe their next one will be more of a mix of both albums. That I'd really love to hear.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

cheap sunglasses posted:

This reminds me apparently Kat left Salome.

What?? :(

Source please.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HMorg posted:

I got this last September at their gig. If I recall correctly, the pressing was made especially for the tour.

I'm gonna sell mine when the prices go over 100€.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Buzzoven cancelled their european tour. Guess who's got flights, hotels and tix bought and paid for their london gig.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

im_sorry posted:

Seriously? Man, those were two of the first stoner rock albums I ever bought. Actually, my first real intro into the world of stoner rock was when I picked up "Carnival Bizarre" by Cathedral in about 1996... although at the time, I had just gotten heavily into death/black metal, and absolutely hated it at first, but it ended up growing on me like kudzu.

I've been playing the hell out of that bass I bought last weekend (a $300 BC Rich Warlock 4 string), doing mostly scales and finger exercises, but I'd like to start learning some actual songs. Do most stoner rock songs need the bass downtuned like they do on the guitar?

D is a common tuning, 1 step down. And yeah, you gotta downtune if you want it to sound right.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Faffel posted:

I wish I had enough money to trade my stupid (bad investment!!!!) bass guitar in for a real man's electric guitar.

Why don't you learn how to play it first.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Faffel posted:

Also, I tuned my bass guitar down a full-step and started playing around with the blues scale. I'm so loving glad you guys talked me out of getting rid of my bass guitar. Goddamn. I love this thing right now. It sounds so loving heavy when tuned down a step. Do you need a special type of effects box for bass, or do regular electric guitar boxes work well with bass?

Try tuning it to C too, it's pretty common as well. Might be pushing it unless you get heavier gauge strings though. I play in C with .130 - .65, it's basically a 5 string set on a 4 string. Tension is perfect for the tuning and I could go lower if i wanted to.

For effects yeah you either need a tube amp or a distortion / fuzz box. Some bands like EHG for example have a clean bass but it's not that common. I've got a Bad Monkey (guitar pedal but works with bass. More of a booster than a fuzz though), Bass Muff (good fuzz if a bit generic. Well worth the 80 bucks) and a Boss ODB-3 (I use this one. I've got an Orange Terror Bass head and a distortion pedal sounds better than a fuzz). If you want a cheap, ok fuzz check out Behringer pedals. They break in 6 months but if you only play at home one should be durable enough.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 1, 2011

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ Buying used is sage advice if you know what you're buying. Still, a behringer is an ok pedal and if you look past the stealing and radio shack components it should work well. Still, you can get a great deal from ebay.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HMorg posted:

Has anyone mentioned Pig Destroyer's Natasha EP? Heard it for the first time yesterday and it wasn't what I had expected. I suppose most of their work is grindcore, but Natasha is a single 30+ minute track, rather sludgy.

Yeah I have it and it's good. They should do more that kind of stuff, especially with Kat (kinda) in tow.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ghost of Orbo posted:

'Nother band I'd nearly forgotten about. Was reorganizing my music after a fresh OS install and found some free albums they recorded years and years ago. I guess they're signed now? Anyways, here's some doom recorded in a Lovecraftian (duh) miasma.

Brown Jenkins - Ashes of Angled Things

This is black metal

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Depends how finnicky you wanna get with your genres. That was a bad example, but there's definite elements of doom in there. Then again, the tempo is reminiscent of most other 3rd wave USBM acts (Xasthur et al.)

Well this thread was made for three pretty specific subgenres. I mean I don't wanna get too nitpicky about stuff but man lately it's been way too off the track. Brown Jenkins, and I like them, is pretty much straight up mid tempo black metal.

Eh, I guess im just a nitpicky fucker but just saying.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrBling posted:

There isn't really much doom-black metal. I guess that maybe Dragged into Sunlight, but they're not really all that doomy either.

There's a bunch of bands that have taken influences from either but no not enough to make up a distint style.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bondage posted:

Guess I must be the only person who doesn't like Earth. Most boring live band I've ever seen. Every song sounds the same. I saw them in Oakland a year ago and they literally cleared out 90% of the audience by their third song.

You must really dislike old Earth, it's all one or two chords.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
For drone, check out monument of urns, black shape of nexus, bones of seabirds and uhhh ill post more when i get home.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Finnish bands produce a much greater ratio of awesomeness to crap.

I disagree.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
e:

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 5, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

amplifier worship posted:

This is pretty badass. Just the right mix of decent/trashy for the production quality, sick vocals, sludgy riffs galore. Enjoyin' it, thanks!

Thanks for the good words. There's no production to speak of, we just played it all in one take after too many beers and spliffs, which is really noticeable in the vocals. We've been playing for six months together and our vocalist / 2nd guitarist started doing vox for this project so hes not really used to it yet. Still, pretty good for a first demo and hes usually a lot more consistent when he hasnt had as many beers. I play bass / make the riffs.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
aight sorry for spamming but we have a bandcamp up:

http://woodrue.bandcamp.com/

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HMorg posted:

Yeah, this is some really kickass stuff. Are you planning on doing gigs in the future?
Edit2: Also, have you printed or are you planning to print a physical release of this?

Yeah we'll definitely do gigs once our drummer & guitarist get back from their road trip in the US, which would be by july or august. There will possibly be some cd-r's but we're planning on doing a 7'' with Dopefiend and Circle of 13. My only worry is if Circle of 13 will fit on a 7'' and how much would we have to shorten it if it won't.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HMorg posted:

Anyway, you could do a 10" and fit all the songs or then do a split 12" with ECW, since the band we were planning to do a split with doesn't seem to be getting their tracks recorded.

Tää kiinnostaa. Pist mailii lauri.leppanen1@gmail.com niin mennään bisselle puhumaan asiasta..

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
e:

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 5, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
We just got added to the Orlandooom roster. Check out our kvlt metal band pic here: http://orlandooom.com/

Also isn't one of the dudes from Consular a goon? Expose yourself!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

West posted:

Yep, Matt Cleer is!

I didn't know you were in Woodrue! I own Orlandooom.com :)

Hey man! It's Lare the bass player. I actually got the account back in the day in exchange for some weed, figures huh.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ Eh I dunno, they're def sludgey if in the crusty grindcore end of the spectrum. I'd say they fit in here if they fit in any genre. Same with Acid Bath or Soilent Green I guess, only with death metal instead of crust.

One of my fav bands, too.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

optiuum posted:

Thanks to whoever suggested Bison BC for the list. Just checked out an album on spotify.

To add something: Demonic Death Judge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOHpBipZ4BE

These guys are local and def worth getting into. Both their EPs are great stuff and they've got a few releases lined up.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
new sourvein rules

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just a question to those going to the current Sleep tour:
Are they just playing Holy Mountain with bits of Dopesmoker or is there any new stuff?

No new stuff.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Nope, that's my friend Kelly. Cute tiny little girl with a huge gnarly voice.

is she hot

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Regarding the cover I gotta say it's a perfect example why Weedeater rules so much. Your version is a simple riff played for 4 minutes with no variation. It's a good riff, but without the buildups, the octaves and both Dixies and Shep's tone it's just boring.

Vox are good though, I'd start a band with that chick.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Downtune, lotsa fuzz. That's where you start. IMO our demo sounds decent and we're using a tube hughes & kettner, an ss randall & a hybrid orange amp (guitar, guitar & bass respectively) and a shitload of different fuzz pedals. Fixed bridge isn't necessary, in fact I don't think any of my bandmates from either band uses one. I agree that the amp is the most important thing if you want a really awesome tone, but you can get decent results with just any amp and using a good fuzz pedal with it. Big Muffs (get a russian one!) are widely used if a bit generic.

If you're on a budget, I suggest buying a late 70s / early 80s Sunn O))) solid state from ebay. I've seen Concert leads go for less than 400 bucks all the time.

Greg Anderson with Goatsnake has the best guitar tone I've ever heard, and he uses one of those old Sunn O))) solid states for the tone. They're ridiculously underrated.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 7, 2011

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
you've got to be kidding

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Samael Jackson posted:

So basically I'm late to the isis party and just found out how good panopticon is. I've listened to oceanic a few times but I've just kept going back to panopticon since it's so good. How are their later releases? Also, please suggest other post metal stuff for me to try out!

Everything they did after Panopticon (which was kind of boring) is poo poo.

Neurosis is the archetype of that stuff, so check em out if you haven't. If you want more, check out Amenra. They're probably the only Neurosis worship band I like. Old (pre-Salvation) Cult of Luna is ok too, if a bit more generic.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
New YOB rules.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

King Faraday posted:

See, I keep hearing this. Where can I find the album, I'm in sunny ole NZ so I don't think record store down here will have it.
Can't find a Bandcamp, just a MySpace that has some tracks glued to it.

Internet leakage.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

I'm still pretty new to the stoner/sludge scene and I'm looking to broaden my horizons. I primarily listen to the more 'rock' side of the genre, I love bands like Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Dozer, Priestess, Truckfighters, Unida and old Monster Magnet before they started sucking balls. I've started listening to bands like Sleep and Electric Wizard but they aren't the type of bands I can just throw a song on and it will be done in five minutes, I like to be able to listen to the whole album at once to get the full 'feel' so they don't get as much play time. Neurosis for some reason is the only sludge band I've heard that I've really gotten into, I don't really know why.

What else should I check out? I'm not a fan of the doom or drone bands, but I'd like to find more bands like the ones I've listed. Regrettably I'm the only one of my friends who's into this sort of music, so it's hard to get quality advice.

See the first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
New Hail!Hornet rules.