Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Holy gently caress, the Hate Ashbury LP is insanely heavy/awesome.

I recently (in the past six months) got into stoner/doom/sludge/etc. and my first taste of Bongripper was Satan Worshipping Doom, which I thought was fantastic.

Also:

Dyna Soar posted:

aight sorry for spamming but we have a bandcamp up:

http://woodrue.bandcamp.com/
I really like what is going on here. The vocals feel a little... off to me, but new singer and all, as long as he keeps practicing he'll figure out his style and refine it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah, just got wind that A Storm of Light, Loss and YOB are going to be rolling through my town in July.

I AM SO PUMPED.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Wampa Stompa posted:

I don't think anyone has brought them up yet, but does anyone listen to The Body? They only have one album, and I just heard it the other day. It's really interesting arty sludge that incorporates ethereal choral vocals and has some really neat production. They're playing Le Poisson Rouge in NYC in June backed by a full choir and I can't wait to see them. Between them, Sleep, Torche, and Melvins, June is going to be the best month ever.

I loving love The Body. All the Waters of the Earth Turn to Blood was one of my top 5 in 2010. If you are interested in them, they have another album... well, it's not really much of an album... it's more like the special features part of a Blu-ray. It's called Compilation.

It's got the original demos of most of the songs on All the Waters... as well as some other originals and a collection of covers ranging from Judas Priest to Black Flag to Sinead O'Connor.

Totally worth it if you are into them. Also, I am drat jealous of you, I don't think they've ever made it to my neck of the woods.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Just got a copy of the new Beast in the Field album, Lucifer, Bearer of Light. So far it is pretty drat sick. Darker, with a pinch more drone than their other albums in areas, but still BitF.

I'm going to see them this coming Tuesday with The Black Dahlia Murder (weird, right?) and I can't wait.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Meant to reply soon after the show, but... I was busy.

Beast in the Field in Nashville were SICK. I know most of the people there were there to see Black Dahlia, but Beast drone/doom'd the poo poo out of them with four heads and eight cabs. I could feel the sound pressing against my skin.

loving intense.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

So, no one has said anything about THIS yet so... yeah... NEW MELVINS. TWO NEW MELVINS RELEASES. AND A TOUR.

I've already got my ticket to seem them in Nashville. So drat excited.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

I just played a gig with Lo-Pan and it was pretty great... not really anything of real importance to post, but I feel good about it and I'm kind of drunk...

Anybody dig Lo-Pan?

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

SaintJacques posted:

The new Melvins EP is out!

http://scionav.com/collection/917/The-Melvins---The-Bulls--The-Bees

It is pretty solid, in my opinion. It is still Melvins/Big Business doing some cool stuff, but I am REALLY looking forward to hearing what Freak Puke is going to sound like. I miss the droney, spacey jams and I'm hoping for some of that.

Also, Cough and Dragged Into Sunlight are coming through my town early summer. So pumped. I would love to see them with Weedeater, but the closest show is a 4 hour drive. Anyone else going to see them?

EDIT: Also, go HERE to jam the new Conan album, Monnos which sounds pretty massively/awesomely heavy. You can actually hear the vocals!

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 14, 2012

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah I don't get all the hate for the new HoF album. It's probably my favorite along with Blessed Black Wings. It's miles better than Snakes. It's a diverse album in my opinion and has quite a few stand out tracks. I was hesitant at first when I heard Fertile Green, thinking it was going to be one chugging song after another, but there are some nice breaks. It's really good.

EDIT -

I really like the first song, it's probably one of my favorites off the new album :(

Thank you. I listened to this album and it was just great. I thought it sounded better and had better hooks/riff than Snakes (which I guess isn't that hard... I didn't care for that album... except for 'Frost Hammer')...

Tried to explain HoF's sound to a coworker and my friend chimed in "Listening to High on Fire is like getting punched in the face with a motorcycle... and the rider is a skeleton with gargoyle wings and his skull is a bong."

That felt about right.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Haven't seen any talk about the new Beast in the Field album on here yet... BEAST IN THE FIELD IS PUTTING OUT A NEW ALBUM.

Seriously, they are one of my favorite bands and I can't wait for the new album. Here is a video for the first song off the Goat Isle Seance.

Anybody else care for them?

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Yeah, been into Beast in the Field for a while now. Great band! Actually, Goat Isle Seance is their debut that was released a few years back. They're just re-releasing it on vinyl next month. It's a good chance to grab it again. They're more like a evil psychedelic instrumental doom. Great music to just put on the background and do anything evil. Cool guys. They sent me a proof print of the shirt they released with their last album, Lucifer, Bearer of Light. I wear it proudly and get lots on inquiries. I really wanted to see them when they were opening for fellow Michigan natives, The Black Dahlia Murder, but... yeah...

Well I feel foolish. I know where I went wrong, though. They had mentioned they were recording a new album earlier this year and I thought that LP was the new album. Looking into it after your post, according to their facebook, they are recording in June the new album called OUR IMPENDING COLLISION WITH A PROTO PLANET.

Still pumped for the reissue. Apparently that is their only album I don't have.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

That song sounds awesome, but I am bummed. They came right through my town and I didn't even know.

What a terrible fan I am.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

I'm about to go see Cough and Dragged Into Sunlight. I am so drat excited.

On an unrelated note, how do you feel about going to a concert by yourself? Through various reasons, no one I know is going to see this show and... I'm still going to go, but I never know what to do with myself at a show in between bands (besides drink) if I don't have a friend there.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

I did just about that.

Cough were sick. I don't think I've ever seen a band that played songs slower live than on an album.

I love going to small shows where you end up hanging out with people and they happen to be in the bands you're about to see.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Yikes, all that Matt Pike trouble is really bumming me out. I finally got a copy of The Art of Self Defense, after getting all of the other HoF albums. Jamming it right now for the first time and it is RIGHTEOUS.

Hope he works it all out so he and HoF and Sleep can continue to rule our wallets and souls.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

A buddy of mine has a band we gig with and they just self-released an album so I thought I'd throw it on here.

Black Tar Prophet - Note to Nod

They are very Bongripper-y, riff heavy, drone band and the album is just one big 41-minute song, so no one would let them put it up online. They have a sample on their ReverbNation. You can buy a physical copy of it on their Bandcamp. Oh, and it is awesome.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 18, 2012

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

No one said anything about this so I guess I'll have to. This is loving great.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Just pre-ordered Om's Advaitic Songs on vinyl. So excited. AND I just found out they are actually coming through my city in September!

I am totally fanboying out right now.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Diseased Yak posted:

I can scarcely believe my good fortune. Check out the show that's happening where in live in September:

Will be my first time seeing any of these bands (except for Rwake, who are local dudes) live. I'm most excited for YOB as I worship them like they deserve.
drat... GODDAMN. So jealous of you. None of these bands are rolling through my town. Please post about the show afterwards so I can get even more jealous/live vicariously through you.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Went to a show last night that I will never forget. OM loving killed it. Al is an amazing musician and Rob A.A. Lowe fit so well into the dynamic. There was a part where Emil left the stage and Rob and Al did a super slowed and stripped down version of Bhima's Theme (I think) with vocal embellishments by Rob for like 20 minutes before Emil came back. It was AWESOME.

Also at that show was hometown heroes Across Tundras who are a doomy/psych/Earth-esque western band. Mikey and Joey from Hellbender just joined them. They were fantastic.

Also, protip: Do not try to do a light show during OM. Al gets PISSED.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Didn't see this so...

Shroud Eater posted a free download of a track off their upcoming EP 'Tempest' and it rocks. Their guitarist/vocalist is like a lady Matt Pike.

So jazzed to play a show with them tonight.

http://shroudeater.bandcamp.com/

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Speaking of tracks, this new Cough track from their split with Windhand is an 18-minute long sludge beast. Just badass.

And also (because they are one of my favorite bands out there) The Body ALSO released a track off their upcoming album and it is sick.

I cannot wait for either of these LPs to drop.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Not Very Metal posted:

The new Beast in the Field record, The Sacred Above, The Sacred Below dropped on the 19th of last month, and it's loving solid.

Here is a track from it:

http://sawherghost.net/sawherghost/audio/BITF_ThereOnceWereMountainsOfIce.mp3

loving YES. I have been waiting for this album for a while and this is my first listen to one of the tracks. As excited as I am, I am trying to wait for the vinyl.

This is some serious loving riffage. I hope they space it out with some drone stuff like on their other albums.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

So the body's new EP Master, We Perish is out today on At A Loss Records and they posted a new video for the song Worship. This is my favorite type of video, minimalistic, yet memorable and striking. Also eerie unsettling, just like the band. I will never stop talking about them because they are so awesome. A great mix of punishing heaviness, noise, doom, sludge, and those vocals... it's like the captured the tortured screams of Hellbound victims.

Don't know if this was posted yet, but they previously released another video for The Ebb and Flow of Tides in a Sea of Ash from the same EP and it is equally haunting.

They are doing a tour with Subservient gently caress and I am so sad they aren't coming through my town, but that just means more people can experience them.

THE BODY – 2013 TOUR DATES
05-07 Boise, ID- Red Room
05-08 Salt Lake City, UT- The Salt Haus
05-10 Kansas City, MO – PUA Gallery
05-11 Iowa City, IA- Gabe’s Oasis
05-12 Lincoln, NE- Bourbon Theatre
05-13 Dubuque, IA- Eronel
05-14 Chicago, IL- Empty Bottle
05-15 Cleveland, OH- Now That’s Class
05-16 Harrisburg, PA- Grindlab Skatepark
05-17 Philadelphia, PA- Heaven’s Gate
05-19 Pawtucket, RI – Machines with Magnets
06-09 Brooklyn, NY – The Acheron
06-10 Brooklyn, NY – The Acheron
06-30 Berkeley, CA – This is Not a Step Fest
07-03 Seattle, WA – Black Lodge *
07-04 Oakland, CA – 1234 Go Records *
07-05 La Puente, CA – Bridgetown *
07-07 Riverside, CA – Blood Orange *
07-08 San Diego, CA – Che Cafe *
* w/ Subservient gently caress

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Unbootable posted:

I saw Thou and The Body earlier tonight at their Detroit date. It was a crushing show. 10/10. Chip from The Body is a super nice dude in real life. I recommend you come in with ear plugs since they set up something like 14 speaker cabinets.

This. The Body are always fantastic and with Thou it is insane. Check them out if they come through your town.

I also really liked the collaboration with them and Haxan Cloak. That album scared the poo poo out of me.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Hs anyone here ever heard Act of Impalement? Great young band out of Nashville that is just a great mashup of doom, death metal, and a little bit of BM. I think they are about to do a small tour so check them out if they are coming through your town.

http://actofimpalement.bandcamp.com

EDIT: Forgot to post the tour dates.

July 18 Johnson City, TN - The Hideaway
July 19 Washington DC - TBA
July 20 Richmond, VA - Haunted Mansion
July 21 Raleigh, NC - The Maywood
July 22 Columbia, SC - The Foxfield
July 23 Ashville, NC - The Odditorium

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 17, 2014

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Oh man, that new Om track is okay, but I wonder when the new Sleep song is going to come out :smug: ...

Seriously, though, I am not sure what I was expecting going into this. The song wasn't bad, but it was a little incongruent with their other albums.

Still excited for the new record, though.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

It wasn't only the vocals but the riff as well. It was just VERY Om. Which, I mean, isn't terrible, just not what I was expecting.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Any Bridesmaid fans? Two bassists and two drummers playing some fuzzed-out, heavy grooves. They are going on a mini-tour starting next week.

2/19 - Nashville, TN @ The Tower II
2/20 - Texarkana, AR @ Silver Dollar
2/21 - Austin, TX @ The Lost Well
2/22 - Denton, TX @ Gatsby's Mansion
2/23 - Wichita, KS @ Lucky's Everyday

Unrelated: I didn't realize so many folks in this thread also live in Tennessee.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

nomapple posted:

The new Primitive Man EP dropped today and it's as disgusting as ever.

Also any recs on where to start with Eagle Twin?

Heck yes, Primitive Man is so drat brutal. Looking forward to getting this.

Eagle Twin only has two full-length albums out and they are connected concept albums so I would recommend listening to them in order (that is The Unkindness of Crows and then The Feather Tipped the Serpents Scale). Even if you don't really care about the connective story between the two albums I would still start with Unkindness. I think it is their stronger record and Feather is really just more of the same; it isn't bad, but is isn't anything new either.

They also have two splits, but I haven't heard them so I can't really comment on them.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Xenochrist posted:

heyo the new sumac album is fuckin amazing

Just going to echo this statement. What One Becomes is shaping up to be one of the best records out this year.

AND they announced tour dates:

quote:

With Jon Mueller:

08/05 Portsmouth, NH – 3S Artspace
08/06 Montreal, QC – Bar Le Ritz PDB
08/07 Toronto, ON – The Garrison
08/08 Detroit, MI – El Club
08/09 Chicago, IL – Township
08/11 Columbus, OH – Double Happiness
08/12 Nashville, TN – The End

With Jaye Jayle:

08/14 Durham, NC – The Pinhook
08/15 Richmond, VA – Strange Matter
08/16 Washington, DC – DC9 Nightclub
08/18 Brooklyn, NY – Saint Vitus Bar
08/19 Philadelphia, PA – Boot & Saddle
08/20 Allston, MA – Great Scott

Can't wait to see them shake The End into a pile of rubble.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 17, 2016

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Holy poo poo, this is fantastic. Thanks for the share!

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

I know a lot of people dumped on it, but Primitive and Deadly ended up being one of my favorite Earth records. I started out with Hex and Hibernaculum which are fantastic, but P&D just sounded so much more sinister.

Looking at their whole catalog, Earth has one of the strangest evolutions of sound.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

So it's a bit early, but any thoughts on doom album of the year? I'm sure there are some gems out there I haven't listened to yet so I'd be interested in hearing people's contenders.

I think I'm choosing between Inter Arma's Paradise Gallows and Cobalt's Slow Forever at the moment.

I'm with you on the Inter Arma album although SUMAC's What One Becomes is still fresh in my mind... if you count that as doom...

New question: As which genre would you classify the new SUMAC record? Noise Doom? Stoner Drone.. Core?

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

This is from last month, but I didn't see anyone post about it.

NEW EAGLE TWIN RECORD.

I didn't dig The Feather Tipped the Serpent's Scale as much as Unkindness of Crows, but both of those albums still rip.

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 23, 2017

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

A human heart posted:

Good thing they're not a noise band then.

On their most recent tour they basically just did noise versions of their songs. It was equal parts bad and fantastic.

Been jamming the new Norska album since it came out and it is blowing my brains out. Extremely heavy, eclectic, and original.

Ordered the vinyl a while back and it didn't ship until days after the actual release. Anyone ever had problems with shipping from Brutal Panda Records?

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

A human heart posted:

I don't know why that would be bad at all.

I don't think they could hear themselves very well and the guy they had playing the sequencer drum parts was off beat from the guitar OFTEN. It was basically harsh noise versions of their songs that would have been fantastic otherwise.

It was still worth it to see the disgusted and confused faces of all the scene kids who were only there to see Alcest, though.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Saw Destroyer of Light and GOYA last night. Both killed it, but unfortunately there wasn't a huge turnout. Nashville is kind of a crap shoot when it comes to locals actually going to shows.

If their tour is rolling through your town totally worth checking out for some stoner metal goodness.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Pokey Araya posted:

Duuuude I know I was runnin around all night, yappin my face off, like I always am, but you shoulda told me you were from here, totally woulda given some more merch (I'm assuming your the one of the guys that bought a record?)

Oh no worries, I forgot who you were/what you played in the band and didn't want to talk about internet forums in the real world with strangers. I bought the 2xLP gatefold most recent record after Goya finished playing (black band t-shirt, beard, etc). I'm really sorry more people didn't make it out, but ya'll kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

nerve posted:

I'm actually really glad the new Monolord sounds different than their previous stuff. I was really getting worn out on it.

Seconding this.

Also, just discovered Slabdragger. They are just as big/heavy/stupid as the name implies and I love them.