Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
It was touched on in the last thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend female fronted bands. Deathdoom is preferred, but all styles of doom are welcomed in reply. I am already aware of Mythic and Thorr's Hammer. Anyone know if Derketa(pre-Mythic)was doomy as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Speaking of genre-hopping bands, has anyone here checked out "Leng Tch'e" by Naked City? Slow, doomy stuff from this group of experimental avant-jazz/grindcore weirdos. I would link it, but all the YouTubes are less than ten minutes of this 31-minute track........

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Cool stuff I found in other threads:

Black Hole- miscategorized as doom, but definitely doomY in parts, with lots of prog, giallo, and 80s cheese added. Not especially heavy, but neither are Avrigus or Ras Algethi(and I dig both of those bands). It's eerie, atmospheric, and interesting as hell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdetKFuJjA

Kronlarvo- I am told these guys are from Japan, but I can't find any info on them. They have 3 videos on YouTube. Nothing new here, just some decent, if unoriginal, doom. They do, however sing entirely in Esperanto, and I've been amusing myself by translating their lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIa9h1KxJcE&playnext=1&list=PL20E400CB751EC679

edit: spelling

Leopold N. Loeb fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 7, 2011

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

There isn't really much doom-black metal. I guess that maybe Dragged into Sunlight, but they're not really all that doomy either.

Kraken Duumvirate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcTvi4SwCDI

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

HMorg posted:

Well, for me, it's mainly personal preference. It's funny, but I think I write better in English. Or maybe I'm far enough detached from English that I don't realize how lame my lyrics are, which I would notice if I wrote in Finnish. But the marketing aspect does exist. With the help of internet, our audience is international. Besides, it's still rarer (though it's becoming more and more common) for Finnish metal bands to sing in Finnish than English, as Finland is a rather small market. Also, I am confident my lyrics aren't the shittiest pieces of English to come out of Finland.

Then again, it's very much possible that with music as marginal as this, the people who are interested would be interested whether the lyrics were in English or not, and perhaps would try to seek out translations. Also, if you've listened to Ever Circling Wolves, could you comprehend the lyrics based on my articulation? Did you take a look at the lyrics (they can be found on the internet)? Or do you think the lyrics are of secondary importance and could not be bothered?

Interesting question, and I might write more about it later when I have time. But yeah, mostly personal preference.

As a fan of ECW, let me weigh in. I listen mainly to death and doom, and rarely bother reading or trying to suss out lyrics. It would make no difference to me whether the lyrics were Finnish or English. You can't understand them most of the time anyway, and it doesn't really matter to me.

I sometimes glance over the lyrics(though not always), and if they seem interesting, read further. I remember the lyrics to Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal" being sung in Norwegian but printed in both Norwegian and English.

The only time I've ever translated any lyrics was quite recently. I translated some from a doom band called Kronlarvo because they were sung in Esperanto, which I am studying. I doubt I would have bothered otherwise.

That having been said, I have a huge boner for Finnish music, from Nest to Hanoi Rocks to Convulse to ECW. I don't know why, but it seems to me that Finnish bands produce a much greater ratio of awesomeness to crap. Any time I hear about a Finnish metal band, I am intruiged(American, BTW). Never cared for Amorphis, though.

Anyway, that was probably very unhelpful. When is some new ECW material coming out?

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
edit: post was lame

Leopold N. Loeb fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 5, 2011

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Suggested band names:

Hadalpelagic
Frozen Agony
Void of Emotion
Ochre Jelly
Dusk
L.S.Deity
DCLXVI

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Gonna check out the new(ish) ECW and the new Zombie tonight.....I love this thread....

And I became aware of ECW by searching Finnish doom bands on Encyclopedia Metallum.......

nd is there any ECW merch available?

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey HMorg, checked out Solothus , which I saw you mention. Really liking.

Have you heard of Nightrealm? Any good?

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Tangent post: I just started a death metal thread for any who are interested....

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone heard of Graveyard Dirt from Ireland? Just got turned on to these guys and I like them a lot...

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Anybody who likes old school DM with heavy doses of doom, check out "Recollected Limbs," a compilation of demo, LP, and other tracks from Japanese band Transgressor.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

bleedbackwards posted:

If anyone's into dISEMBOWELMENT or death/doom in general, some previous members are now in a band called Inverloch that is pretty awesome and basically sounds like a continuation of where they left off.

dISEMBOWLMENT are one of my favorite doom bands. Will def be checking this out. Thank you for.posting it.