Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Anyone heard Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction? Just came out a few days ago, traditional Brit-sounding doom from...wait for it...Little Rock, Arkansas. poo poo's amazing though. One of the best albums of 2012 so far, I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone got a high-res image of Earth 2 Special Low Frequency Version's cover? Want to make a wallpaper out of it.

I have just such a wallpaper.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Definitely seconding Om; they generally have an even more laid-back feel than Sleep. The Angelic Process are often cited as good doom/shoegaze, although I can't say I've ever thought too much of them myself. I might also recommend Feedbacker by Boris, though they have a very broad stylistic range and most of it isn't really in this vein. Horseback might be worth a look; although there's a healthy amount of drone/noise and black metal influence in there too, they do some pretty doomy stuff. More recently, Vulgaari's self-titled definitely reminded me of older Wizard stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of death/doom, I've really been digging Anhedonist's debut, Netherwards. Goes really well with Pallbearer, although they're straight-up doom.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

nerve posted:

Check out Ritual Abuse by Cough. Slow and crushing doom.

Seconding this. Crazy album. You might also check out The Wounded Kings - In the Chapel of the Black Hand for something a little less sludgy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Picked up Horseback - Half Blood. As always from him, great release, though it's not up to the level of The Invisible Mountain for me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm like a month late on this, but aw poo poo the new Bong is fantastic. The album was recommended to me as "like Om, but more chill", and I was not disappointed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Interstitial Abs posted:

So I'm actually thinking about starting a radio show at a friend's prompting, and the theme would be "doom country". Doom and country separately, or together... Earth, obviously, but also dark country/folk/Americana. Checking out Man's Gin cuz of this thread. Other recommendations?

Horseback, Pharaoh Overlord, maybe Barn Owl?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

There's a new Dragged Into Sunlight/Gnaw Their Tongues Off Collaboration that's up for today only, moderately slow then very very fast then moderately slow: https://soundcloud.com/vagrantrecordings/dragged-into-sunlight-gnaw-1/s-74Kqd

Now there's a match made in heaven. Hope this is just a prelude to that split they were supposed to release last year.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gotta get Encoffination.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

hihifellow posted:

Maybe they're copying the theme of the new A Storm Of Light album.

Hopefully Rosetta doesn't copy ASOL's blandness too

Holy poo poo, this post just made me realize Rosetta and A Storm of Light aren't the same band.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Though I probably seem like the Subrosa fanboy in this thread and though their aesthetics are a bit heavy handed in their gothy-ness NPR is streaming a second track off of their forth coming album and it's worth a listen if you're into some slow trudging doom with dual violins to make it a bit more dissonant.

Subrosa - Ghosts of a Dead Empire: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/08/15/212011035/vikings-choice-violins-swarm-in-subrosas-heavy-dead-empire

The track that was previously released on Pitchfork:
Subrosa - Cosey mo: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/15754-subrosa-cosey-mo/

I promise I have nothing to do with this band.

Wasn't really convinced by the first track they released but the NPR one is heavy as gently caress, real hyped for this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

If you like your doom a bit more contemplative, Avgrunden have a pared back, almost acoustic sound to them. Reminds me of later Earth albums and Bohren und der Club of Gore or The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMhAgvXbFy0

Dolorian is also in this vein, but the sound is much less bluesy and there's funeral doom vocals. Strange stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

try it with a lime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_CRmX8tvUQ

I'm looking for something slow and evil, similar to Noothgrush and Thorr's Hammer.

I guess Wormphlegm is the first thing that springs to mind, but I really like Encoffination in this vein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itL7h8r040I

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Spinal Pap posted:

So hey, you can stream a new song from Earth on Pitchfork. There's vocals on it. :vince:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16959-earth-from-the-zodiacal-light

Earth still goes in this thread, right?

This is smooth as hell and way better than anything on either part of Angels of Darkness.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Polegrinder posted:

Earth had vocals on Pentastar, why do they make it seem like they never made an album with vocals? Anyway, that track is so good, can wait to hear more.

There's vocals on like one song on Pentastar and two on the Sunn Amps & Smashed Guitars compilation. Even if one of those vocal performances is Kurt Cobain, when I think of when I think of Earth is BWOOOM, followed by a whole bunch of bluesy instrumental drone rock. Vast majority of their output over twenty years has been instrumental and if this whole album has vocals, it will be a first in that sense.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This, a whole lot. Never thought I would see a release that made me feel like listening to Thou for an hour at a time!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

"Foreigner" is a pretty good song, but nothing else they've done really measures up to it for me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

What is your guys favorite "Take drugs and put on this album and go on a spiritual journey" album?

Besides Dopesmoker, of course.

Dolorian's Voidwards and any of the early Skullflower albums, but especially Form Destroyer. Also Electric Ladyland, since people were talking Hendrix.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

nomapple posted:

The atmosphere is what keeps me coming back. It sounds really stormy. I don't know how to explain it better.

Yeah this. I like it way better than any other Thou full-length, they only really have one mood and it's so aggressive and...down, for want of a better word that after about half an hour of it I'm usually done. I like their EPs better mostly, but Heathen really struck me as listenable by contrast to any of the other full albums, it's got a much warmer/fuzz-heavy sound than any of their other stuff and comes off as much livelier/more passionate rather than just loud and harsh. also Free Will is a drat good track.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Laserface posted:

Where do I start with Sunn 0)))?They are touring and I am curious if I should go

I realise they are an experience rather than a band you listen to but I need to know their "hits" I guess.

If you like drone, ии Void.

If you like black metal, Black One.

If you like weirdo experimental poo poo, White1 then White2.

Monoliths & Dimensions is great but I think it's more interesting in context.

Also a couple of their live recordings are quite good though they'll prepare you about as much for Sunn O))) live as watching Lethal Weapon will prepare you for getting shot. Try Domkirke or Agharti. Or their bandcamp which has half the shows they've performed in the last ten years

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Budbarian

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Foreigner is a good song, but it's all downhill from there. The mainstream buzz is just because they aren't weird-sounding, loud, aggressive or generally objectionable enough to put non-metalheads off.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Just gonna have to imagine I posted my Dragonaut tee here because some motherfucker stole it out my laundry basket last year :smith:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If you want more stuff like that, listen to Hibernaculum and Primitive and Deadly.
Something more experimental and generally weird? Angels of Darkness
More folk, less distortion: Hex
More distortion: Pentastar
No, I mean a lot more: Phase 3
No really, ALL the distortion: Earth 2 SLFV

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sonic filtration is a good idea

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Earth is not exactly gripping music and it has virtually nothing to do with doom metal in my opinion. I really like some of his albums, but almost all of them are more like background music than something I would actively listen to.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They're both slow and have distorted guitars that are tuned down, but I don't see Earth 2 as belonging in the same genre as Candlemass, or even close, really. Did early Earth influence stuff that came after that was definitely doom metal? For sure, but I think it's a stretch to say that it's doom metal itself.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Really depends on the individual act, doesn't it? I'm not saying Earth haven't had an influence on doom metal, they totally have, but I think it's really hard to say that something like Black Boned Angel's music has so much in common with that of Saint Vitus that we should think of them as the same thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pharaoh Overlord, maybe?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

the sword as a whole are so bland they're impossible to actually hate. then again there's no reason to listen to them when you can put on something they're ripping off, like sabbath on the first album or thin lizzy on high country.

Warp Riders is a fun album

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

haven't heard that one, who are they trying to sound like on it?

Don't know, as I don't listen to much hard rock. I've heard a bit of Wolfmother and it sounds sort of like that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The first song on the first Pallbearer album is pretty good, with a nice vocal performance. It kind of reminds me of Albert Witchfinder in parts. I haven't heard another song by them that held my interest. I haven't seen them live but it sure seems to me like they are mostly hype.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cough were born in Electric Wizard territory though

Ritual Abuse is good, the Kingdom EP is good, their splits with Windhand and the Wounded Kings are both good. The instrumental track on the new album is pretty decent also

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

Lesbian are cool, but they just announced that they're breaking up.

You could call it a lesbian band death

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Reminder to not get mad at a band for the press they are getting. Isn't it enough they are from Arkansas?

I grant it isn't their fault entirely, or uh Sunbather or Mastodon or The Sword or Agalloch or whatever other buzz band of yore -- you can't wave a wand and get buzz after all -- but the press a band gets is directly indicative of what kind of band they are and what kind of music they play. To take it to an extreme, even if the band played exactly the same music exactly the same way, none of these review outlets would be touting Pallbearer the way they are if they were called Babyfucker or if they all wore Nazi uniforms in their shows, or something else about them was broadly offensive like the singer got his dick out and waved it around at female fans or something. Image is also part of a musician's art and people are free to dislike that part, or find that it doesn't appeal to them. Pallbearer don't have a very aggressive, confrontational, experimental, or challenging style to their music (and this is the source of their mainstream appeal), and their image reflects that, and the press they get reflects this. With fan bases that have an underground or cult appeal like you find in metal, there's an added sense that to be too popular with mainstream journalists is in itself suspicious, and a standard annoyance that it may bring new people into contact with the fan base, who may or may not care about the fan base as a whole or even the type of music more generally. You can apply this to almost any kind of nerd poo poo and the results will be the same. It sparks an invasion mentality in the fan base because it gives the fan base a sense that its position is being devalued. Obviously that isn't necessarily the case but I'm not convinced it's necessarily unhealthy behavior either, it's part of a mild us vs them complex that gives such "underground" communities life and makes participation in them interesting.

vvv hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 28, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Judd Madden's new album is called Cosmic Black Wizard Demon Horse Lord

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Is all of his stuff worthy of purchase? I have Everything in Waves, so as a quick opinion, would I find the others entertaining as well?

I liked Glacial, Waterfall II, and Everything in Waves, haven't got around to the rest of his back catalog.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm always confused about the relative lack of Beksinski album covers in metal.

What, there's loads. Blood of Kingu, Bong, Ashdautas (for a couple different releases iirc), Wolok, Leviathan, Mizmor, and I feel like there was a Nightbringer album that had one but I can't find which one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

nerve posted:

Horrendous has a couple with his art too right

Not that I recognize, but whoever did the cover art for Anareta was definitely influenced by him