Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You should stick Lento in the recommended section of the OP.

Oh man this is the first I've heard of Lento. I'm really excited about them. Earlier today I was thinking about asking this thread if someone could point me to a doomy crushing band that does some weird time/pattern stuff. For lack of a better comparison: kind of like a doom/stoner/psychedelic Meshuggah. I really like that it's instrumental.

are there any more bands that are kind of like that?

I'm in Lento love :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Optimum Gulps posted:

Not very psychedelic or dark, but some people were going absolutely nuts over these guys five or six years ago in NMD, and they certainly don't stick to 4/4. Progressive stoner metal band (also instrumental) Zebulon Pike.

Thanks! I tried to give these guys an honest go but on two occasions I found it to be a bit guitar noodley which is a shame because they have some awesome music. I might try to give them some more tries because the music is bad rear end, just not the sound I would prefer.

You will more than likely love Ufomammut's Eve.
They did a split with Lento a while back, think they might be on the same label but the music is very similar and Eve is an incredible album. Many here swear to Snailking but I've never heard it.

I really like Eve. I had looked up Ufomammut briefly during the old thread and they didn't jump out at me initially. I think I only tried one song though so there you go.

This is all very awesome. I've been into heavy music for a long time, mostly death metal/grind but I had no idea there was this whole doom/stoner/sludge genre you could cast your net into and pull out fantastic stuff. I've known about the genre, I just didn't know there was so much good stuff. I saw Weedeater what must have been at least 12 years ago, I saw Electric Wizard a few years ago. I like a little Kyuss. I love Sleep. Ancestors got me excited about new bands but holy god lord jesus I had know idea that there were bands like Yob, Lento and Ufomammut. So the reason I typed all that self indulgent stuff was to demonstrate how awesome this thread is, I thought I knew, but I didn't. I'm getting better now. This is the music I've been looking (not that hard) for. Thanks Satan Worshiping Goons!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Faffel posted:

I wish I had enough money to trade my stupid (bad investment!!!!) bass guitar in for a real man's electric guitar. That is loving awesome.

Also, doom metal is loving awesome. I've listened to so much YOB and Bongripper that my head is crushed into a stoned pulp and I haven't even heard them high.

The bass has its place. I would encourage you to keep it and and keep at it at least for a bit. If you seriously start playing guitar or music in general you will be glad that you spent time with the bass. I play guitar and have had basses available but I've been itching to purchase a decent one for a long time and really spend some playing one. What I'm saying is that I'm envious of your position.

Also thanks for pointing out Bongripper everyone! How long until I become a jaded fan of the genre and think that nothing exciting is happening? Because it's awesome as gently caress right now.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ethan posted:

The full YOB/Dark Castle tour has finally been posted:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/05/yob_dark_castle.html

Well I guess it's finally time to get my passport (Vancouver goon) so I can catch the Seattle show.

It seems a Raleigh NC show has been added at Kings July 18th: https://www.facebook.com/kingsraleigh?sk=wall

edit: fixed link

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 15, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Asnorban posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss. I could hold that s key down for the rest of the day.

QPZIL posted:

Oh my fuuuuuuuck I'm gonna be at that Raleigh show SO loving HARD

It looks like I'll be attending this one. I was planning on going to the TBA Charlotte show as it's closer to where I live but it turns out I'll be at the beach that week anyway so I'm going to drive up from Emerald Isle to catch the show in Raleigh. Super stoked. Before this tour was announced I didn't even think Yob were playing together anymore so yeah....awesome.

Tickets are on sale now: http://kingsbarcade.com/2011/07/18/yob-with-dark-castle-and-us-christmas/

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm looking for a bit of insight from some folks who live around Raleigh and are familiar with King's where YOB is playing Monday night. I'm coming from out of town but I used to live in Raleigh. I've only been to the old King's.

What time do you think YOB will go on?
Is street parking available around King's or should make other plans?

I'm going to be cutting it close timing wise so any useful information is much appreciated.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'll be at Kings tonight wearing a black (of course) shirt that says PUSH with the silhouette of a guy pushing on a skateboard. My name is Jamie.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Asnorban posted:

Apparently this thread is populated with people that live in the Triangle. Who knew.

I'm the exception actually. I live in Asheville but I'm on vacation at Emerald Isle so I'm driving up from the beach to Raleigh. It kind of worked out better for me as I don't think the YOB TBA show in Charlotte ever materialized which I would have missed because of the beach trip. I'm so stoked this worked out.

nosophoros posted:

TALBOT is really loving good fellas/gals, don't hesitate to listen to the EOS album in full, it pays off.

I gave them a spin a few days ago. Only listened to a couple songs. I really dug the sound but came away feeling the two songs I listened to were a bit similar. I love the sound though. I'll have to make it all the way through and see how I feel.

Also for more content, the new Kamni folks have been speaking about is excellent. I liked the first album but I was still up in the air about them them. A.T.O.M. seals the deal for me. They are doing good stuff.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 18, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

QPZIL posted:

Shot pictures at the YOB show in Raleigh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantuten/sets/72157627236943374/

edit-- Stevie Floyd

Great pics! It's funny I couldn't make out the guitar inlay design and I was standing literally right in front of him. Anyone know what's up with his guitar, is it a custom? If you know about how he tunes that would great to here about to.

Nice meeting you Ian in my awkward hello from the internet way!

Somehow I had picked up that they were traveling with the new album. So I snatched that up while Dark Castle was still playing. They had a pretty cool shirt with them that I hadn't seen before with a dude that appears to be self flagellating.

edit: excellent show by the way even though the vocals were hardly audible down front. I have no idea now the mix turned out through the PA. That was the most excited I had been about a show in a long long time.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 20, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

rxcowboy posted:

What else should I check out?

I think you would probably like Wo Fat. Their album "The Gathering Dark" got me hooked.

Juaguocio posted:

Standard A, I believe. Even though he's using baritone strings, you can hear them "flop" quite a bit on their older stuff when he was still using a Les Paul.

What's different about the setup he plays now that minimizes the flop? Higher action? It seems like you would have to have more tension but I don't understand how that works without changing the pitch.

The Gasmask posted:

E: anyone who has the new album (non-leak cd version): does it have no high end like the Prepare The Ground 'exclusive'? I assumed that was some sort of anti-piracy measure, but I want to know for sure. I like the song itself, but the recording sounds terrible, and knowing YOBs previous releases I'd hope it's not the final version.

I've only been able to listen to it once and that was the day after my ears got the YOB live treatment but it does seem that the guitar sound has a lot less high end than most of their other albums. It almost has the "Elaborations of Carbon" sound. I don't think it sounds bad, just a touch different than the most of the others. I'll be able to make a better comparison when I get back home next week.

Those amps did look like Marshalls, I assumed they were and I thought I even saw the Marshall logo. He had them sitting to the right of his stack on the floor.

Edit: you can see them in this pic QPZIL took during the Dark Castle set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iantuten/5956168217/in/set-72157627236943374

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 21, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks for the guitar tech answers. The lengthening of the scale deal makes sense and thinking back it's quite obvious those Monson guitars at the show were really long comparatively.

As for the YOB's new album sound, what struck me is that the guitar tone I heard live is pretty much what is on the Album, very thick and mid-rangey.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Juaguocio posted:

This past Sunday, nine of Vancouver's finest sludge riffers got together at the Astoria to lay down some doom. The interesting part is that five of them are drummers.

:zombie:FUUUUUUUCK
I would love to see that. I could even go for some more guitars and basses.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Frank Caskelot posted:

Not exactly the same, but try Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats.

Oh man I'm loving Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats. They are sold out of CDs/Records it seems: http://uncleacid.bigcartel.com/
Any ideas as to whether the ablum Blood Lust might be sold online?

I'll Cut You Down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7UpD4AquU&NR=1

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Frank Caskelot posted:

They had a vinyl pressing of 350 (of which 50 were diehard edition) up in Rise Above's webstore, but I think they sold out very quickly. I managed to snatch myself a vinyl, though, so I can now sell the cd I have. Email me at hh at raa.to if interested.

Email Sent. Thanks for your help!

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats- At Death's Door: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Cold Day posted:

I have listened to Uncle Acid but I have not found it interesting.
Then again, along with Ghost, Devils Blood, Jex Thoth and who-ever else - the throw back themes of the music scream desperation any poor imitation. An interesting sound but ultimately no song writing ability.

I think you are better off listening to bands who have done it properly in the time before it became a throw-back genre, as small amount as there may be.

It's kind of funny as Ghost and Devil's Blood do nothing for me but Uncle Acid seems to do what they do perfectly. Lots of times vocals really turn me off but I really dig Uncle Acid's sound. It's kind of like Bon Scott from AC/DC trying to sing like Ozzy with a good bit of effects. I spent some time last night figuring out some of the songs. I haven't been motivated to do that in a while. I think it's some pretty decent music, of course it's pretty much verse/chorus/verse stuff but it I like it. So far all the songs from Blood Lust that I have come across work for me except maybe one which I think was "I'm coming to kill you" or something like that.

Cold Day posted:

I think you are better off listening to bands who have done it properly in the time before it became a throw-back genre, as small amount as there may be.

Just wondering if you could recommend a few.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 11, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Dyna Soar posted:

Leaf Hound, Sir Lord Baltimore, Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, Pussy, Lucifers Friend, May Blitz etc.

Of course these modern bands have been influenced by other stuff as well but there's a shitload of heavy psych from the 70s that's worth checking out.

There's a blog called The Day After The Sabbath that posts comps of this stuff, I've found a lot of obscure poo poo from there.

Thanks for the explanation and suggestions. I'm familiar with BOC and Nazareth of course but had never heard the others. They are great bands, I had actually heard the Lucifer's Friend "Riding the Sky" from a skate video I think. The others were new to me. I'm familiar with Epitaph and Iron Claw and they seem draw from the same style/era.

Still, I am having a hard time comparing Uncle Acid to the older stuff. There is certainly a lot in common but over all I find the music to be a lot heavier and more doomy than the bands listed above. Maybe that's an obvious point, I just found it odd that they were dismissed so easily as I feel like I usually gravitate to pretty solid stuff critically speaking and Uncle Acid really grabbed my attention. I don't disagree that they are biting a throw back style and maybe the 70's horror vibe is a bit much but aren't half the bands listed in this thread working within some type similar frame work? It seems odd to single them out.

Basically I'm just feeling weird that someone said new band I'm really digging at the moment sucks and I'm having a hard time understanding why.

Thanks to all for breaking things down for me.

:v: Oh wow! Thanks! I'm really surprised that they didn't have more commercial success. They could have been huge.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 13, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Two Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats shirts are now available.
http://www.acidcoven.com/index2.html

They ship from the U.S. so it's probably pricey if you are not in the U.S.

edit: The original link is broken now. Here's the main page telling you they are out of stock and more shirts are coming next week: http://www.acidcoven.com/

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 17, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I can't stop thinking about Yob through an arena sound system. I also can't stop thinking about what Tool fans will think of Yob. It reminds me of King Crimson reportedly getting booed when they did a stint with Tool.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

I would pay top dollar euro to hear Prepare the Ground live, it's probably my favourite song of 2011

Just poking through some Yob live youtubes and this version of Prepare the Ground sounds surprisingly good for a camera recording. I almost prefer the sound of this to the album version. It's a bit fuller/heavier.
Prepare the Ground

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm really digging Pallbearer thanks for the recommendations!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

seiken posted:

Gah! All this time I just needed to know that what I was looking for was called stoner or doom or whatever. I guess it's mostly my fault for assuming those prefixes would just be the same thing as the death or black or whatever varieties. But I blame my metal-loving friends too cause I've been all like "damnit, where is the metal that sounds like early Black Sabbath?" to them before and that seems to be basically the definition of this stuff.

The same thing happened to me about a year ago. I had been a heavy/fast/slow/loud/metal fan who had kind of given up on finding anything new that really moved me. I had listened to bands like Sleep, Electric Wizard and Weedeater but I had no idea that there was such a substantial genre to explore until I happened across this thread. There is tons of good poo poo. A lot of it absolutely crushing, I had no idea. I didn't know how to use the words "doom", "stoner" or "sludge" to find good stuff because I didn't know there was good stuff to find. Now I know. Thanks slow music thread dudes!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I ran across this 20% slower and pitched down version of a Meshuggah song called "Bleed". There's stuff I like about Meshuggah and stuff I don't like. I don't really want to get into that. I just thought that it was interesting/crushing/slow/low. You can download a .mp3 of it from the link in the comments.

Slow Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfn9NMCSU9k
Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elNeQjTTnVo&ob=av2n

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Anybody who likes old school DM with heavy doses of doom, check out "Recollected Limbs," a compilation of demo, LP, and other tracks from Japanese band Transgressor.....

That's some pretty cool stuff. Some of the production is pretty demo-esque but some of it sounds pretty good though. It reminds me of some Incantation.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Pallbearer seems to be lurking around SXSW, not sure of much more than that. Not exactly stoner rock.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Morbid Florist posted:

Oh baby! Ahab's working on new poo poo again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HwMoEzcw2kk

I loved Wretched Sea, busted a nut for Divinity of Oceans, I hope this one keeps up the trend.

I'm pretty excited about this. The recording sounds very nice.
Here's the cover:

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 17, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Polegrinder posted:

Ugh, where'd you get that shirt!? I can't seem to find any for sale online anywhere...

http://acidcoven.com/index.html

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I didn't realize Dopesmoker was going to be available so soon. Ordered in record time.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Polegrinder posted:

In Your Light from Mike Scheidt's new solo acoustic album (out June 12th, for some reason pitchfork said May 18th).

I wish I liked this more. I was kind of expecting some acoustic guitar down tuning/alternate tuning and some interesting vocals. Neither seem to be present. The vocals kind of sound like your run of the mill airy rock ballad singing with the typical rock singing pronunciations. Almost reminds me of Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes or something. I hope the rest of the album is a bit different.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Hahaha, who gives a poo poo?
I've never done it and does seem kind of hokey but it does seem pretty reasonable for a fan to wear black shirt of the band they are going to see instead of intentionally picking another black shirt just because.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Polegrinder posted:

Yeah, it reminded of Cat Stevens. I hope that it's just a weak song and that the rest is different/better. It's not that bad of a song, it just feels cliche kinda.

Heh, I was originally going to say it sounds like Cat Stevens + Black Crowes, then I listen to "Wild World" and reeled my comment in a bit as I thought the comparison didn't do Cat Stevens justice.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks for the Horseback talk. I can't stop listening to The Invisible Mountain.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
So I was perusing http://stonerobixxx.blogspot.com/ recently and ran across Snail. I can't get enough of this song:

Snail - Mental Models: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6QVDOR4XWI

The really heavy sound with the laid back clean vocals turns out really nice. Almost like if Kurt Cobain had a doom band and didn't scream as much.

I Also ran across Viaje A 800 a Mexican stoner/pysch band. It's refreshing to hear a different take on the genre with mostly Spanish vocals and some definite flair in the music.

Viaje A 800 - Oculi Omnium In Te Sperant Domine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlxmreI6vN0
Viaje a 800 - Ni Perdon Ni Olvido : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXqHAGLgxAE&feature=related

Thanks for the Elder reccomendations. I really like the Dead Roots Stirring album. Until last night I was up in the air about it being too noodely. That album has a lot of really interesting parts and still flows well.

I really like the new Ahab. If I hadn't known it was them I'm not sure that I would have been able to guess that it was them, if that makes sense. Some people have mentioned that the guitars could be louder but I don't have a problem with the mix. Everything sounds pretty good to me. It's a solid album and I hope they keep them coming. I dig the harmonizing vocals on 'Antarctica The Polymorphess' which seems like some new territory for them.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've never been able to get into Neurosis. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've gone through several albums but nothing calls me back. I may try again. I think I'm just not into Scott Kelly's vocals.

And while I'm on the topic of not getting it. Baroness: I don't get them either but I do think I actually like the new stuff much better than their Red/Blue stuff which is weird because I can usually get into weird time signatures and awkward riffs. The most honest way I can summarize why I don't like Red/Blue Albums is that they just play the guitars too much, too much changing, too much 16th beat picking of a note when a single sounding of the note would do etc.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 29, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

quote:

gently caress Southern Lord
My Sleep T-shirt kind of bumps at the seam on each shoulder near the collar. It seems like it wasn't stitched together properly. :bahgawd:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Juaguocio posted:

The new Elder is streaming over at The Obelisk: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2012/07/19/elderspiresburnstream/

I'm really liking the second track.

New Elder? Yes Please! I wish it was a whole new album instead of two songs.
I only started digging into them a couple months ago. Dead Roots Stirring is a fantastic album. It took me 3 or 4 casual listens to realize that. Their songs flow so well.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

bus stop posted:

Briton Rites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEUYhFbNAao

Haven't seen them mentioned yet. Just pure oldschool sounding doom, they only have one album out and it's really worth checking out if you haven't heard them before.

Hell Yeah, thanks!

Also guess who missed Nate Hall (U.S. Christmas) and Mike Scheidt (Yob) playing acoustic stuff at the local record store a couple weeks ago because he was at family reunion at the beach? That's right, me! :(

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 29, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
U.S. Christmas is playing a show in Asheville NC this Saturday night. I'm thinking about checking it out.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
That's the best way to break your arm.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

bleedbackwards posted:

Are people talking about the new Conan album, Monnos yet? The first track had me headbanging within ten seconds of the fist riff and it only gets better from there.

e: Looks like it leaked months ago so I'm late on this but drat it's good.

Thanks for bringing this up. Just bought it. Love this iTunes review "HAWK AS A WEAPON MADE ME WEEP BLOOD AND SEE THE ANCIENT PAST".

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

aliencowboy posted:

This might be the most stoner metal video ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

I'm not usually much on metal videos but this one is rad. I like that it doesn't have the band in it at all acting like they're playing the song. Plus it's loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nomapple posted:

If you weren't aware, 40 Watt Sun is Pat Walker's (Warning Vocals) new project, and it sounds pretty much exactly like Warning. The Inside Room is a very good album.

Warning are a pretty unique band IMO, but these bands are similarish I guess:
Pallbearer
Ahab's new stuff

Those 2 are the closest I can think of personally although you might find some more that you like in the Last.fm similar artists page This is done on genre tags so recommendations should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

I ran into SubRosa from that 40 Watt Sun youtube link. They're a really raw layered doom band with mostly female vocals and a some electric violin going on. I'm not usually into female metal vocals but this works well for me. Definitely worth checking out.

SubRosa - Beneath the Crown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzYqGAzunME
SubRosa - Borrowed Time, Borrowed Eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tsjP2F5jDQ&feature=related

Edit: I mean that in the least sexist way it can be taken. It's all about context I suppose. This type of music works well with a nice reverby clean voice. SubRosa really seems to offer something a bit different but still heavy as gently caress. I'm really digging this.

SubRosa - Inheritance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx1HrKqMpQ

The vocals and phrasing remind me of something familiar that I haven't been able to place yet...maybe a heavier Black Mountain?

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 25, 2012