Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

As someone who bought a box of GQ Hobby, I'm not sure what this set offers. I was initially excited about it but now I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to complete it. At least Allen & Ginter's non-baseball cards were of famous people. Not sure why people should care about collecting Gypsys.

Also disappointed in the fact that Topps dropped the ball and left out an autograph from the retail box. Both because it reduces getting an autograph if you're opening random packs and because I know when I mail in to get my autograph they're just going to find some random low draw autograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

EllisD posted:

I'll stick with my price guide value :colbert:

What really hurts is I'm sure everyone has a grandpa story like mine where "your grandfather used to have a lot of old baseball cards but got rid of them" and you realize if it wasn't for their carelessness you could be sitting on a gold mine right now.

The only reason why they're worth so much money is that everyone threw theirs out, creating scarcity. While some of the reason for '80s-'90s cards being useless is that there were so many made, another reason is that everyone saved the cards, thinking they'll make a fortune.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just pulled an autographed Marlon Byrd from a Topps 2011. Whoo?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hey, he was an all-star last year!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought a 2nd Blaster of Gypsy Queen, and it's been the best break for me all year so far (haven't bought much, but still). Only one mini parallel, a black Jason Kubel, but I hit both a Jorge Posada jersey relic and a Freddie Freeman auto. The Freeman is a redemption, sadly, but for a product where nothing is guaranteed in a blaster, and where people have even been getting shorted in boxes, it feels great to hit twice.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
I've been checking out Property Room lately and they have a lot of cards, dunno if anything on there is worth anything though. Anybody found anything good there?

They have signed baseballs and helmets sometimes too (including a Reggie Bush Texans helmet lol)

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

My baseball card collection's pretty unremarkable and I haven't been putting much into it lately; although I'll pick up a pack here and there at a 7-11 or whatever, low end isn't all that much fun for me, and I don't have the money to throw around on high end.

I was ten years old in 2001 and my parents gave me some money to spend on a haircut and some cards. They wanted me to spend all the money on my usual expensive fancy-boy haircut, but I learned that the convenience store just got $6 packs of 2001 Finest. Six dollars! Those must be really shiny! I made up my mind - I would let myself go scruffy and I would deal with the grief at home; I would buy two packs of Finest. First pack didn't have much. Second pack had one of these fuckers - an Albert Pujols rookie autograph, worth around $250-$300 ungraded. Cards are pretty neat.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I've got a bunch of baseball cards, although nothing really special. (I'm 24 so it's mostly early 90s crap) My father has all kinds of cards from the 50s/60s including several Mantles in decent condition. They're just in a box under his bed and he's never going to sell them, so I suppose those will be mine someday. He probably has 400-600 cards in that box, maybe 50-75 that he put in plastic after deeming them valuable.

I do have a whole bunch of random baseball stuff that I got from requesting pocket schedules. In middle and high school when I was bored I would just send emails to teams (the four main US professional sports and college football/basketball) telling them I was a big fan (sorry, that was a lie for most teams) and wondering if I could get a pocket schedule from the current season. As a result I have at least a pocket schedule from not only most of those baseball teams but also a lot of those other sports from about 2001-2006.

Baseball teams would often send me other items, I think a lot of the stuff was from promotions they had that season. I have hats, posters, cards, pens/pencils, keychains, media guides, etc. The coolest thing I ever got was from the Red Sox - it's a little bag of Fenway dirt. I have no idea if that is A Thing that they do, but it's just a bag of dirt with "Fenway Dirt" scrawled on it in sharpie.

I haven't done that for years, but it was a cool way to get random memorabilia. I have eight of those plastic storage containers (the ones that are like 1 1/2' x 3' x 1/2' or so) full of everything I got in those seven years. I went through it a year or so ago and even beyond all the random cool stuff I got, it was just fun to look at who was on the pocket schedules from year to year and what their slogans were.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

The broken bones posted:

I've been checking out Property Room lately and they have a lot of cards, dunno if anything on there is worth anything though. Anybody found anything good there?

I took a look and it's all either junk or going for more than it would on eBay.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

My brother used to collect baseball cards all the time and we still buy packs every year. We have a lot of late 70s to mid 90s and like everyone else we had what we thought were going to be amazing rookie cards. You know, Tony Gwyn, Wade Boggs, Ryne Sandberg, the 1985 Mark McGwire Olympic card. Now we all just basically blame McGwire for the devaluation.

Also, I was an antique store years ago and found some metal bottle caps with baseball stars from the 70s. It had like Pete Rose and Stan Musial. I bought them for like 20 bucks but I haven't been able to figure out who made them and where they came from.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Hey now, I feel sorta weird asking this since I don't really do much baseball posting, but I have a ball with multiple signatures I'm considering selling and I'm not very knowledgeable about memorabilia. I'm wondering whether it's worth it to get it authenticated first since I know it's legit, if the fact that there are multiple generally unrelated signatures makes it less desirable, and where I should sell it if I do. Don't just want to throw it up on ebay blindly and take what I can get. So if anybody could do me a solid and PM/IM me to advise I'd really appreciate it, and maybe I could get you a forums upgrade or something afterwards for your troubles.

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 10, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Hey now, I feel sorta weird asking this since I don't really do much baseball posting, but I have a ball with multiple signatures I'm considering selling and I'm not very knowledgeable about memorabilia. I'm wondering whether it's worth it to get it authenticated first since I know it's legit, if the fact that there are multiple generally unrelated signatures makes it less desirable, and where I should sell it if I do. Don't just want to throw it up on ebay blindly and take what I can get. So if anybody could do me a solid and PM/IM me to advise I'd really appreciate it, and maybe I could get you a forums upgrade or something afterwards for your troubles.

There are definitely people here that can help you (I'm one of them), but we need a lot more info, such as who the signatures are, what the condition of the ball and the signatures are, etc. Pictures are useful if possible.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Right, I didn't want to go into detail right off the bat, but I suppose it doesn't make a difference. I got it when I went to Cooperstown with my dad back in 2000, signed by Bob Feller on the sweet spot as well as Bob Gibson and Don Larsen on the other panel, above and below. All I have is my netbook camera, so I doubt the autographs would be legible, but it's been in one of those cheap ball cubes ever since I got it. What I'm most curious about is how the multiple signatures work out in terms of value since they're not related apart from being great pitchers individually.

Hopefully the proceeds will be going to taking Dad to a game at Citi around Father's Day. :3:

edit: Hmm, I was only looking to get a couple hundred tops for it but it looks like that might even be a stretch. Oh well, we'll let it appreciate for another decade or two. I'm still curious about if the random selection of autographs hurts it in terms of appreciation in the long run though, as well as where I should get it authenticated.

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 10, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

That's a slightly tough one. It's going to cost nearly as much for someone not buying certs in bulk to get that authenticated as it would be worth authenticated. It's sort of interesting start to a theme ball for "great pitchers of the post-war era" or "famous no-hitter pitchers," so I think it would only be worth slightly less than individual balls of the three - but you're still talking about under $100 total even with a PSA or JSA cert, depending on condition and whether it has HOF or no hitter inscriptions. Non-certified, probably under $50, again perhaps well under. Gibson's really the only one of those with significant financial value; Feller and Larsen, while nice signatures for the collection, are already in everyone's collections because they never turned down autograph requests and did a million shows.

Tickets to Mets games are really, really cheap on Stubhub (an official Mets ticket supplier, so you don't need to worry about getting ripped off) right now, especially if you can wait until day of game (sales close two hours before first pitch and are usually cheapest in the hour before that). I would suggest that you keep the ball, since it probably has more sentimental value for you than it's worth, and buy cheap Mets tickets on Stubhub.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Gibson signs a ton of stuff too. He was just at the LA Card Show signing balls for $69.

Edit: Anyone surprised to konw that Bob Feller is still alive?
Edit 2: You could probably sell things for more money if the autographs were on separate balls and at least had a picture of the player signing it. I don't see the connection between the 3 other than they all pitched no-hitters?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 10, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Edit: Anyone surprised to konw that Bob Feller is still alive?

He isn't :smith:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

edit: Hmm, I was only looking to get a couple hundred tops for it but it looks like that might even be a stretch. Oh well, we'll let it appreciate for another decade or two. I'm still curious about if the random selection of autographs hurts it in terms of appreciation in the long run though, as well as where I should get it authenticated.

PSA/DNA or JSA are the current en vogue third party authenticators, although that changes every now and again. It's not an entirely random selection of autographs so I don't think the value takes a massive hit - they're all pitchers and they're all from a relatively close time frame - but yeah, signatures are worth more on single signed sweet spot balls, team balls, or specific theme balls.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Good timing there, right as I edit :D. Yeah I was mostly just trying to figure out where I stand, honestly I would rather just hang onto it for sentimental value anyway, so this works out. I don't really have much memorabilia and I'm sure it'll make for an interesting piece for a collector someday.

And pops will definitely still be going to his first game at Citi, thanks for that advice on buying tickets since for some reason on the rare occasion I get to a game I've always bought the tickets ahead of time. Since he's interested in seeing a good starter, that'll make things a lot easier.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

He isn't :smith:

FFFFFFFFF dammit I was looking through Wikipedia and saw his age which I distinctively assumed was next to his "Born" date.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

I was going to put this lot on eBay but their fees are loving ridiculous now. So instead...I will contemplate selling elsewhere or just sit on them for longer. I've had most since about 97 so I'm in no rush.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Holy hell that's a lot of (mostly not very valuable) Jeter rookies!

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Yea, that's the beauty of book value. The only two cards in that entire lot that would get even 70% of book are the SP rookie and the minor league auto. The rest...15-20 bucks each book but wouldn't sell for more than 6 or 8 bucks save for the Bowman and Pinnacles.

EVer since I've gotten into vintage collecting I've been dumping most of my modern stuff. The Jeters though I'm having a hard time personally selling. I kind of just want to dump all of these, buy a nice BGS 9 SP rookie and call it a day. We'll see though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Still, that's probably a couple hundred for the lot.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If that 1993 SP Jeter is in good shape, I'd say it's worth getting graded. Though those cards are highly condition sensitive, even a grade of 8.5 could make it a $100-$150 or so card (minus eBay fees if that's your selling method), and if it was worthy of a 9.5 it could be worth $500 or more. I don't think there has been a single one of those cards ever to grade a 10. I'd go BGS over PSA in this case as a .5 difference in the grade (which PSA doesn't offer) could be an extra fifty bucks.

I sold a lot of two 1993 Topps Jeters and one of each 1993 and 1994 UD for +/- $20 a few months ago.

In any case, if I were holding on to that many Jeter rookies, I'd wait for the inevitable spike in his cards when he approaches/reaches 3000 hits later this summer.

Edit: Holy poo poo, this guy with three subs of 9.5 and one of 9 got two grand.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 12, 2011

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

Anybody remember what the first SP 9.5 Jeter sold for? The auction wound up pushing 30K. I wish I could find the article about it. It was insane.

Solid 9s with the old BGS labels still pull 350-400ish. I'd really like to get a 9 at some point. Someday it will be mine.

It's so weird. My Jeter and Vlad cards are the only ones I have a hard time selling personally since moving to vintage. Everything else I'm just like, 'welp, more money for some 50s stuff!' But Jeter and Vlad I always plan to sell and never do.

Probably better off with Vlad. In a span of 10 years his Bowman's Best rookie has gone from consistently selling for 90+ to barely pulling 25 bucks. I remember selling a PSA 9 a looonnng time ago for about 200 bucks. Wouldn't get 25 now. Oh grading, how I loathe and love you.

Anybody want a collection of 2004 Sweet Spot autos? I sold all the big names (Jeter, Pujols) but still have Mauer, Reyes, Dunn, Bret Boone and about 10 or 12 others. I'll trade anything at this point.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Is there a reputable online card value site where I can punch in a card and take about 40% of that and get a value? Like most other people, I picked up some cards during the boom years (98-01 for me). I understand most of them are worthless or nearly so, but it'd be good to have some idea of what not to throw out.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Can I ask why cards from the 90s and 80s got so devalued? Is it because there is such many cards out there or people just not interested in that era or what?

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

saintonan posted:

Is there a reputable online card value site where I can punch in a card and take about 40% of that and get a value? Like most other people, I picked up some cards during the boom years (98-01 for me). I understand most of them are worthless or nearly so, but it'd be good to have some idea of what not to throw out.

Best bet is to hop on eBay and look at completed listings. It doesn't get more accurate than actual sales numbers.

As for 80s/90s. Over production and then some. There are still a number of cards that pull some decent money but none of the base sets.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can I ask why cards from the 90s and 80s got so devalued? Is it because there is such many cards out there or people just not interested in that era or what?
A lot of overproduction (especially in the 1980s). In the 1990s there were also just too many sets, which made guys like Albert Pujols have seemingly a hundred 'rookie' cards. Even worse, things like 1 of 1s went from being unheard of to common, ruining their value. Same goes for 'game worn' (not always true) jersey/bat/whatever cards, and signed cards as well. Although those still hold their value slightly better.

Another part of it is that the entire collectible market as a whole has been in decline value-wise for some time. Even high-end autographs are not selling for as much as they used to.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Same goes for 'game worn' (not always true) jersey/bat/whatever cards
After the card companies got called out on this they started protecting their asses by using the terms 'event worn' or 'player worn' instead of 'game worn.'

I pulled a dual relic Mickey Mantle card out of last year's 206 set and it has game worn pants and a funky, five color warmup jacket swatch being touted as 'player worn.' It was probably from some tacky jacket from the 80s Mantle's estate sold to Topps after his death. Weird poo poo.

edit: The patch is very similar to what's in this card, except it has black, grey, white, red and pink.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Oh man, I have a bunch of stuff I'll post pics of later. I really like collecting the truly oddball stuff.

My prized jewels are:
  • an on-card auto of Santa Claus (yes, the "real" santa claus) from a set Topps put out around, oh, 2007? No idea who they conned into signing thousands of cards "Santa Claus" by hand.
  • A 1987 Throwback Charlie Hough auto (being a huge Fish fan). Donruss put out 'reprints' as inserts around 2008ish. Cost $5 at a shop, but - again - on-card of the first Marlin!
  • Just Minors 2001 Israel Alcontera. On-card again (I hate sticker autos). If you've forgetten who Izzy Alcontera is... well

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Some sticker autos look alright. I can understand people that prefer on-card for aesthetics purposes, but the people that get all would up because the player didn't actually handle the card perplex me. Who the hell cares if Jason Heyward's fingers touched your card at one point?

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Chief McHeath posted:

Some sticker autos look alright. I can understand people that prefer on-card for aesthetics purposes, but the people that get all would up because the player didn't actually handle the card perplex me. Who the hell cares if Jason Heyward's fingers touched your card at one point?
It shows effort. It's one thing if Topps sends Heyward ten Avery-Dennison label sheets and says "Sign 'em and send 'em back" and then decides the first ten stickers are for a 1/10 thing from Triple Threads and the rest of the page + the next ten are for a /549 auto for Heritage... it doesn't feel unique.

If they actually have to print the cards, send them out, pray to god Heyward doesn't lose them or tip them over on his dinner table and ding the edges of all 40... it shows it was more work to produce this thing, and so I value it more accordingly.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MrBlondeTHC posted:

It shows effort. It's one thing if Topps sends Heyward ten Avery-Dennison label sheets and says "Sign 'em and send 'em back" and then decides the first ten stickers are for a 1/10 thing from Triple Threads and the rest of the page + the next ten are for a /549 auto for Heritage... it doesn't feel unique.

If they actually have to print the cards, send them out, pray to god Heyward doesn't lose them or tip them over on his dinner table and ding the edges of all 40... it shows it was more work to produce this thing, and so I value it more accordingly.

Well, for one, they don't just "send them out and pray to god." Whenever these signings are done by Topps, they (supposedly) have a representative on hand to verify that it is the player signing the stickers/cards, rather than the player having one of their buddies, a secretary, a clubhouse attendant, or an auto-pen do the job.

I still don't see much of a difference between 'Player X signed five red refractors' or 'five stickers signed by Player X were placed on red refractors,' the relative scarcity (#/5, 10, 25, 99, whatever) is still dictated by the producer of the card, not the player signing them.

Completely unrelated to the sticker/on-card debate, I need eleven cards to make a 2011 Topps Series 1 master set, anyone have a bunch lying around?

I need these:
Kimball Champion Minis: 22
60 Years of Topps: 1, 15
CMGR Vintage Reproduction: 8, 11, 13, 16, 25
Topps 60: 5, 21, 25

I'd gladly pay PayPal for them, or, I've got a ton of base and inserts from the set if someone wants to swing a trade. And yes, I'm actively searching out a partner on a number of dedicated sport card forums.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Stickers are mostly used because players mishandle the cards a lot. So if you pull a dinged auto out of a pack in this day and age, more than likely you're sending it back in for a replacement card that probably won't meet collector standards. So it's really a pre-emptive CS issue, since the companies are overwhelmed with return requests these days because of the popularity of grading.

I've seen players sign cards for companies...it's not a pretty thing.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

sba posted:

Stickers are mostly used because players mishandle the cards a lot. So if you pull a dinged auto out of a pack in this day and age, more than likely you're sending it back in for a replacement card that probably won't meet collector standards. So it's really a pre-emptive CS issue, since the companies are overwhelmed with return requests these days because of the popularity of grading.

I've seen players sign cards for companies...it's not a pretty thing.

I can definitely see that. Easier for Topps or whomever to have a cache of Player X stickers as well as a cache, or an ability to easily print more, of the cards those stickers go on, to send out as replacements.

edit: And anyway, anyone who thinks Topps is doing what they do 'for the collector' is naive as gently caress. They're a business and they care about profit and ensuring that profit continues year after year. It makes more sense for them to pay a player once to sign 5,000 stickers than it does to pay them once for 2,500 base Topps inserts, once for 1,500 Gypsy Queen, once for 500 A&G and once for 500 Finest cards.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 13, 2011

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chief McHeath posted:

Completely unrelated to the sticker/on-card debate, I need eleven cards to make a 2011 Topps Series 1 master set, anyone have a bunch lying around?

I need these:
Kimball Champion Minis: 22
60 Years of Topps: 1, 15
CMGR Vintage Reproduction: 8, 11, 13, 16, 25
Topps 60: 5, 21, 25

I'd gladly pay PayPal for them, or, I've got a ton of base and inserts from the set if someone wants to swing a trade. And yes, I'm actively searching out a partner on a number of dedicated sport card forums.
Check out sportlots.com, it's a good site to buy cheap single cards from people.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Check out sportlots.com, it's a good site to buy cheap single cards from people.

Wow, I've heard of that site but never realized how much of a huge pain in the rear end it is to use. The only way to search a sellers inventory is by adding one of their cards to your cart, then you can see what else they have, but you have to search card by card, or in my case subset by subset, and then card by card.. Makes it retardedly difficult to find a seller who has all of the cards you need. What a load.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 14, 2011

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I don't have any baseball cards :(

What I do have, however:

1. a baseball used by Jamie Moyer. The MLB site had it and I paid an amount of money for it that makes me look extremely foolish.

2. an autographed picture of Jamie Moyer. I decided to test the story that if you send mail to a Phillie at CBP, they respond, so I sent one to Moyer, since he rules. Sure enough, I got it back in the mail a week later once the Phillies got back from wherever they were.

3. A 2008 World Series rally towel. I wasn't at the game, but after one of the games in Philadelphia, I was walking to my car in my campus parking garage, when I noticed the towel lying by a trash can, still with the sticker on it, about 60-70 miles from the park. I decided to leave it, figuring the original owner would want it back. I went by two days later, and it was still there, so I took it rather than leave it to get thrown out by campus maintenance.

4. A Larry Bowa bobblehead from when he was a player that my grandfather dug up from who-knows-where.

5. My great-grandfather gave my mom a seat from the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium when he moved to Florida and decided it couldn't come with. I can actually see it from where I'm sitting now, my brother keeps stuff on it sometimes. This is apparently worth a couple hundred dollars at this point, so I think my family's trying to sell it at some point down the line. I just took a picture of it, in case anyone more versed in Yankee lore can give it a better description.

I'm also working on adding to my own little collection. Monday night, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs are giving out a Harry Kalas bobblehead, and I'm also collecting some of the ice cream helmets that teams sell at home games. I've got a Phillies one I got in September, and I'm going to try to get an IronPigs one on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Farchanter posted:

and I'm also collecting some of the ice cream helmets that teams sell at home games. I've got a Phillies one I got in September, and I'm going to try to get an IronPigs one on Monday.

I have a ton of these from Dairy Queen when I was growing up but I also have ones for Washington, Tampa, Toronto, and Philly (along with Altoona and Syracuse) that I got at the actual stadium. I remember being so pissed when I went to Jacobs Field that they do not have ice cream in a helmet.

The best by far was the Nationals one, it was expensive but came with actual awesome ice cream (not just poo poo softserve) and a ton of toppings.

I also have almost-full size Brewers helmet (it's at least twice the size of the others) from Miller Park that came with waffle fries instead of ice cream.

• Locked thread