Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Farchanter posted:

5. My great-grandfather gave my mom a seat from the pre-renovation Yankee Stadium when he moved to Florida and decided it couldn't come with. I can actually see it from where I'm sitting now, my brother keeps stuff on it sometimes. This is apparently worth a couple hundred dollars at this point, so I think my family's trying to sell it at some point down the line. I just took a picture of it, in case anyone more versed in Yankee lore can give it a better description.

I don't exactly want to get hopes up but I suspect that is worth significantly more than just a couple hundred bucks. Treat it well and don't try to refurbish it or repaint it or anything of the sort, a bad restoration is literally the single worst thing you can do to an original piece with historical value (watch any episode of Pawn Stars for more on this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

You ice cream guys should make a trip to Akron.

“The Screamer” is built on a one-pound chocolate brownie and includes 21 scoops of hand-dipped ice cream, four bananas, covered with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, and sprinkles, served in a full-size souvenir Aeros replica batting helmet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chief McHeath posted:

Topps 60: 5

I've got the Topps 60 #5, send me a PM with your address and I'll get it out to you. The only thing I'm really looking for from 2011 right now are the diamond parallels for Josh Hamilton (26), Vladimir Guererro (67), and Cliff Lee (103), or any other Rangers parallels.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I've got the Topps 60 #5, send me a PM with your address and I'll get it out to you. The only thing I'm really looking for from 2011 right now are the diamond parallels for Josh Hamilton (26), Vladimir Guererro (67), and Cliff Lee (103), or any other Rangers parallels.

Thanks, but I was finally able to swing a trade on FCB for seven of the cards and was able to find the remaining four from a single seller on SportLots.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Do they make penny sleeve / toploaders for minis? Trying to find one that holds the Gypsy Queen mini parallels. Size seems to be ~2.625x1.25 which is slightly bigger than the tobacco card holders.

Edit: Also any difference between BCW and Ultra Pro?

Edit 2: Maybe tobacco sleeves can hold these cards... not sure exactly.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 15, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Some googling says to go ahead and use the T-206 tobacco sleeves/loaders for the Topps mini cards. I *think* the gypsy queen minis are the same size as the ones that came out of 2011/T-206 but I don't have them all in front of me to look.

As far as the BCW/Ultra Pro thing the only place I've noticed a substantial difference is in the magnetic slabs, and there it's only that I like the design of the ultra pros better, and the store had matching stands for them. I use BCW penny sleeves and they seem perfectly adequate, although I haven't exactly been storing cards for years.

Edit: I'm wrong, the magnetic holders I don't like are "pro mold", not BCW. I don't think it matters too much what you get.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 15, 2011

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm pretty sure Ultra Pro premium top loaders have UV protection, so if you're displaying your cards they might be worth getting. I don't know about BCW.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Yeah definitely is tobacco sized, or at least will fit it. Had to download a ruler and compare it on my monitor.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Anybody getting into Bowman this year? I'm not really into prospecting so I'm avoiding it aside from my "get every non-hit 2011 rangers card" thing. People seem to be going super nuts over the Harper autos. A x/250 sold for nearly 2000 bucks, which just blows my mind. He's not even playing in the majors this year!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Harper hype is crazy, but it's probably real, and more likely to pay off than Strasburg. I mean, look at dudes numbers, and he's 18.

But no. I did four cases of Topps and made all my money back on a pretty poor break, but Bowman is just too expensive for me to dive into. Maybe if I'd pre-ordered. I'll probably end up picking up Reds singles and a team set on eBay.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

This guy is still in A-ball and the guy who pulled his red 1/1 wants $25k for it?? I mean even if he produces and gets to the majors next year, is it still going to be worth that much?

This is just one thing I don't get about "The Hobby" but whatever floats your boat I guess. I'm glad I haven't broken any Bowman and not really planning on it.

Also, I'm collecting some Gypsy Queen minis so let me know if you guys have some you want to dump. Looking to buy in larger quantities so I don't have to waste so much money on shipping.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have 18 base minis, 2 sepia, and 2 black, so I can either throw up a list or you can just let me know what you're looking for. I've got all the ones I need (the insert minis are loving expensive), so they can all go.

Edit: I didn't break any bowman either, a great side effect of so much product being opened is that the base team sets are really cheap. I picked up the base/gold vets, the base/chrome prospects, and a Jurickson Profar auto for under 30 bucks, so I'm done aside from grabbing the various inserts.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Strong Sauce posted:

Also, I'm collecting some Gypsy Queen minis so let me know if you guys have some you want to dump. Looking to buy in larger quantities so I don't have to waste so much money on shipping.

I had the Mariners and Marlins in a group break. The following minis are available:
30 Hanley Ramirez (normal and red back)
76 Felix Hernandez (normal and variant image)
109 Chris Volstad
114 Chris Coghlan x2
120 Gaby Sanchez
300 Franklin Gutierrez
339 Omar Infante
340 Miguel Olivo (red back)
345 Erik Bedard

Let me know if you want to figure something out for any of these. I'm in New Zealand, so shipping is slow and a bit pricier than ideal. I sent some cards in a bubble mailer to the US two months ago, it cost me NZ$7.50 (about US$6) and took a bit under two weeks to get there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The best thing to do is sell any Harper stuff you have now. Even if he does what he's expected to do the prices on his items will eventually go down. Right now they're the highest they've ever been.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Not sure if I'd want to pay that much for only about 10-13 cards Jono C. I'm still trying to bid on eBay to get a large majority of the cards. Once I start narrowing down individual cards I'll see if you still have what I want/need. You do have a couple of SP runs that may be harder to find.

Also, whether you're a fan of Olbermann or not, I thought this was pretty funny..

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/KeithOlbermann/view/9606964

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

Not sure if I'd want to pay that much for only about 10-13 cards Jono C. I'm still trying to bid on eBay to get a large majority of the cards. Once I start narrowing down individual cards I'll see if you still have what I want/need. You do have a couple of SP runs that may be harder to find.

Also, whether you're a fan of Olbermann or not, I thought this was pretty funny..

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/KeithOlbermann/view/9606964

Here's another.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought that was hilarious. I think he's the highest-profile baseball card collector. I know he owns like the entire T206 set from 100 years ago.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Olbermann's an incredibly active collector, yeah. He shows up at some of the major auctions and shows, and is very very very active buying online. He might have the largest private collection of stuff in the world at this point, and it's not even all high-end stuff.

Although I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a T206 Wagner unless he bought one privately. He's been one of the critics of the value of that card compared to others in the set like Plank and the Doyle and Magee errors.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I collected mainly from 1991-95. The packs got too expensive, contained too few cards, and there were too many subsets. drat 1994 Fleer for really beginning the downfall in the latter department. I did find the Nolan Ryan Smoke & Heat card in a pack. It was $50 in the Beckett back then. I'm not about to see how far it's fallen.

If I stumble on a card show - and I haven't in some years - I'll look around and get something if it's cheap. Sid Bream was my favorite player and at one time, I nearly had every card of his, but that was a few years ago and I don't know if anything else has turned up. Shockingly, there are 250+ Sid Bream cards.

Almost all of my collection is back with my folks as I just don't have room for it and I don't look at it much.

Let's see what I can find in my apartment:

Autographed copies of Pete Van Wieren's autobiography and Furman Bisher's Aaron. Met Bisher about 18 months ago. He told a story about visiting Ty Cobb up at his mountain home. Cobb said he was on medication. Bisher found out the medication was bourbon, which they both partook of it over the next few days.

I hang on to ticket stubs, parking stubs, stuff like that.

Parking permit for Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium

Atlanta was a minimum of four hours away from my childhood home. So, we were thrilled when minor league ball came to Albany. It would leave Albany a few years later because the city wouldn't fix the hellhole of a ballpark.

I saw Shane Andrews, Vladimir Guerrero and Ugueth Urbina play here. I went down for autographs on one occasion and one of the Polecats noticed the ball I had with me was in rough condition. So, he gave me a South Atlantic League ball and signed it. So, I became a fan of Jayson Durocher. He would briefly play in the bigs with the Brewers. I don't have that baseball with me.

I do have some stubs. I think Russell Branyan played in the 1995 game.

Baseball would briefly return to Albany a few years later, when the Wilmington Waves moved in. They retained the name, but disappeared after the one season. Albany still hadn't fixed up the ballpark and everyone and their mother knew this agreement wouldn't last. Attendance was horrible. I picked up a pack of cards on the cheap from the previous year's team at this game. The only name that made it was Shane Victorino.

For a few years, my Dad took me to a spring training game. We were as close to mid-Florida as we were to Atlanta. Went to Plant City, the former Baseball City, Winter Haven, Clearwater, Kissimmee, and Dunedin. In Dunedin, I got Will Clark's autograph and scraped up my leg climbing over seats to do it. He wasn't a Giant at this point.

We even went in 1995, the strike year. Of course, there weren't any regular players out there, but I don't remember attendance being too terrible. That year, we went to Winter Haven. I had a baseball with me, but wasn't expecting to find autographs. Then, some nice guy told my Dad and I that Bob Feller was over beyond the third base line signing autographs. For free.

I returned with my Feller autograph, Dad suitably impressed. The guy was still around. He then said Herb Score was doing a radio broadcast. Being a crappy minor league park, the booth wasn't too far from the bleachers behind home plate. I look up at that booth, see Feller and eyeball him. He apparently understands the baseball in my hand and I reach up. He signs it.

(If anyone's curious about the junk in the background, it's a Starting Lineup of Nolan Ryan, the former fob of a Falcons keychain - cheap thing came undone very quickly - and a complete set of California Raisins from Hardees in 1987 or 1988.)

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 26, 2011

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Strong Sauce posted:

All good, they aren't going anywhere fast. Are you collecting mini sets other than the base? What about parallels and inserts?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I was at a 5 and Dime store in Northboro, MA they other day and they were selling baseball card packs.

From 2006. I decided to buy to packs and give them to my nephews and niece.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Strong Sauce posted:

I've opened a bunch of gypsy queen and I have quite a few minis. Over 100 I'm sure. I'll go through them today and let you know the exact number. I have a few parallels and some sepias as well if you're into those. Let me know I'd be happy to work something out with you

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I have a ton of 2011 Topps leftovers after breaking a few cases. If anybody needs anything we could work out a sale or a trade for some low-mid end Reds cards.

In handy Microsoft Excel format:
Excel 2010 Format (.xlsx)
Older Excel Format (.xls)

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
What do you guys do with junk jerseys? Stuff like an unnumbered Tom Glavine jersey card from UD 2008 that's a $5 bulk-jersey in any shop? Toss it up on eBay for 99c? Sell it as part of a bulk memorabilia lot? Pack in with a bunch of other Glavine stuff?

I already give my base-set stuff to neighborhood kids for them to play with, but I don't know what to do with not-really-valuable stuff that's just a bit too nice to throw out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrBlondeTHC posted:

What do you guys do with junk jerseys? Stuff like an unnumbered Tom Glavine jersey card from UD 2008 that's a $5 bulk-jersey in any shop? Toss it up on eBay for 99c? Sell it as part of a bulk memorabilia lot? Pack in with a bunch of other Glavine stuff?

I already give my base-set stuff to neighborhood kids for them to play with, but I don't know what to do with not-really-valuable stuff that's just a bit too nice to throw out.
I guess sell them as a lot? I dumped most of my 'game worn' memorabilia stuff before the market on that completely collapsed.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is there any difference in the pro grading services? Most of the worthwhile rookies I have aren't in very good condition due to me being a greasy fingered idiot when I was collecting, but I'd still like to check a couple out. Is Beckett the standard now or is it still PSA?

The Joe Morgan seems to be in pretty good condition and it's still sitting in a toploader.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

PSA for vintage stuff, Beckett for newer stuff if you ask me.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Can someone recommend me a good online singles shop? I want to get a bunch of base cards to send for TTM autos, but I don't want to spend like 4 bucks a piece on eBay.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can find them on sportlots.com for around 18 cents a piece (plus shipping of course, so try to find someone who has a bunch you want), or you can ask around. I have a bunch of Topps Series 1 and Heritage lying around that I don't want, and other people probably do too.

Alternately there are a couple BINs on ebay for the Topps series 1 set for 18 shipped.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My mother and aunt have a ton of 1950 Boston Braves memorabilia, ranging from signed bats to a baseball with the entire teams signature and lots of pictures too. I'm curious as to how much this stuff is worth, and whether or not I should try to get it from my family since they don't seem to be doing anything with it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

My mother and aunt have a ton of 1950 Boston Braves memorabilia, ranging from signed bats to a baseball with the entire teams signature and lots of pictures too. I'm curious as to how much this stuff is worth, and whether or not I should try to get it from my family since they don't seem to be doing anything with it.

Depends on condition and exactly what it is. That's the famous "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain" Braves-era team, but it's a few years before Aaron and Mathews came around. It's probably worth some money, perhaps as a lot with an auction house where a Boston Braves or Warren Spahn collector might buy all of it.

If you can take some pictures or give a fuller account we could probably help some more.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Depends on condition and exactly what it is. That's the famous "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain" Braves-era team, but it's a few years before Aaron and Mathews came around. It's probably worth some money, perhaps as a lot with an auction house where a Boston Braves or Warren Spahn collector might buy all of it.

If you can take some pictures or give a fuller account we could probably help some more.

That's the thing. My grandfather was on the Braves in 50, but there was all sorts of family drama and I know that these things exist but nobody will show them to me (at least they haven't since I was a kid) because they all like to brag about the dad that none of them talked to. I can't give any real account on the quality of the bat or autographs or anything.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I pulled a redemption card for a Bowman chrome rookie refractor auto for Aroldis Chapman today. Apparently it won't ship until late September. By which time I expect he won't be throwing anywhere near 106 mph.

I guess I'll put it in my oddities collection with my Victor Cole card and the jersey swatch I have of Jacque Jones where the swatch appears to be from the Twins, he is listed as playing for the Cubs but the base card from the set lists him (correctly) as a Tiger. If anyone has a spare Revolving Door from last year's Allen and Ginter, I'd love to add it to the island of misfit baseball cards.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Antifreeze Head posted:

I pulled a redemption card for a Bowman chrome rookie refractor auto for Aroldis Chapman today. Apparently it won't ship until late September. By which time I expect he won't be throwing anywhere near 106 mph.

I guess I'll put it in my oddities collection with my Victor Cole card and the jersey swatch I have of Jacque Jones where the swatch appears to be from the Twins, he is listed as playing for the Cubs but the base card from the set lists him (correctly) as a Tiger. If anyone has a spare Revolving Door from last year's Allen and Ginter, I'd love to add it to the island of misfit baseball cards.

If you haven't redeemed it yet, you can sell the code or whatever for a bunch of money now, and not have to worry about getting the actual card after his arm has fallen off.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

camoseven posted:

If you haven't redeemed it yet, you can sell the code or whatever for a bunch of money now, and not have to worry about getting the actual card after his arm has fallen off.

It was one of these so it was going to be Freddie Freeman, Aroldis Chapman, Darin Mastroianni, Jarred Cosart, or Lars Anderson. I figured I may as well just have the card and hope that whomever I got makes some waves and I might sell it for more than the 20-25 people are getting for the redemption card right now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got a Freddie Freeman redemption out of some Gypsy Queen packs. Dude needs to hurry up and sign.

I also participated in some Topps Series 2 case breaks over the last couple days. Apparently it's incredibly hard to pull anything of value out of there, I probably wouldn't have signed up if I had known you're never going to get anything beyond the base level Topps 60 autos/relics. There aren't any rangers on the auto checklist and maaaaybe two on the relic list. Still, I managed to get a Logan Morrison auto and an Ian Kinsler jersey, so I guess it wasn't completely worthless. If anyone wants a Rangers or Marlins base set I'm going to have like a half dozen of each.

edit: sweet I pulled a Jason Heyward jersey auto out of the jumbo box I got for myself to set build

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 10, 2011

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
So I posted this a while back but here is my 1962 New York Yankees ball. I believe JeffersonLives originally confirmed most of the signatures are legitimate excluding Mantle and Whitey Ford sadly but it's still pretty cool. It was my grandfathers and I got it when he died last year and up until that point, I never knew the ball existed until my dad brought it home out of nowhere. His name is on it Tim so that would explain the random "Tim" on one of the panels. I'd like to think that it really is Mantle's signature and that he was just too drunk/hungover/finished getting blown under the right field bleachers. A man can dream.

The signatures on the ball include Arroyo, Blanchard, Berra, Boton, Boyer, Clevenger, Daley, Ford, Howard, Kubek, Linz, Long, Lopez, Mantle or some clubhouse kid, Maris, Reed, Richardson, Sheldon, Stafford, Terry , Tresh and Turley.

Taking pictures of this was possibly the most frustrating thing I've done in some time as apparently digital cameras, even at 14 megapixels, cannot take a picture of something unless it's 20 inches away.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Mantle and Maris were the ones that looked clubhousy, still a cool ball.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

jeffersonlives posted:

Mantle and Maris were the ones that looked clubhousy, still a cool ball.

Definitely. I finally ended up buying a nice UV protective case for it and put it up on a shelf. It's lookin' good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almo
Jan 1, 2007

by angerbot
Crossposting this at the recommendation of jeffersonlives

I inherented a fuckton of baseball cards not too long ago and thought this might have some novelty value if anything.

• Locked thread