Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
This thread has driven me to bid on random low priced prospect hobby boxes on ebay and some single cards of giants affiliated players. Wanted a nice Brandon Belt card and he has some crazy prices on a few cards.

Does anyone use GMA grading?

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

streetlamp posted:

This thread has driven me to bid on random low priced prospect hobby boxes on ebay and some single weird cards of giants affiliated players. Wanted a nice Brandon Belt card and he has some crazy prices on a few cards.

You seem easily influenced.

Also, Craig Counsell bobblehead day just happened at Miller Park, but I haven't seen any variations. Is there one?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

theacox posted:

You seem easily influenced.
Yea probably.

I just got a 2000 upper deck prospects hobby box.
Also met and got a Darryl Strawberry auto ball a few days ago, was only signing for kids so I got 2 balls and told a kid near us to get both signed and he could keep one.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

streetlamp posted:

Does anyone use GMA grading?

If it isn't PSA, SGC, or BGS, it's not really an "accepted" grading company. As always, buy the card, not the slab, though.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
This is probably the best thread to ask. I'm headed to Anaheim in two weeks and while I don't personally care for the Angels or the Twins, I wouldn't mind checking out the stadium. More importantly, I'd like to try and get Vernon Wells (or other players, I'm a Jays fan so it'd be nice to get up close to a former player) to sign something. What are some tips to getting in-person autographs?

I'd likely hit the Sunday afternoon game. To the guy who PM'd me about A&G, I'll get back to you with what I have in that long list you give me Monday night.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
My store is running a live auction event on Saturday, with internet and phone bdding included. Lots of crazy stuff, from HOF autos (Ruth, Cobb, et cetera) to lower end items like complete sets and photos. Check it out.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1221402.html

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vj5UYg627sMZX5yd7yIh7JUKK2Hti3CVsiKKbH_TyxU/edit?hl=en_US

If you have any questions, email me at gordie.fall@gmail.com, please. I figure that some goons might want some of this stuff, or at least check out some cool items.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 23, 2011

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

I think I only got into Boy Scouts as a kid because a recruiter offered any kid who joined free baseball cards. In retrospect, these cards are still pretty awesome, though.

I was raised in South Carolina, so these cards were all Braves players. Only one player was featured in any given year, and some years they picked an obvious player:

and sometimes they picked exactly the wrong guy:

Yes, the real life inspiration for Kenny Powers from East Bound and Down was the featured player for one year of Boy Scout cards. Presumably this card came out before John Rocker said that the worst thing about New York was all the foreigners, and the queers, and the kids with purple hair, etc.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Wasn't Rod Beck the inspiration for Kenny Powers?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Yea I had always thought it was Rod Beck.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

streetlamp posted:

Yea I had always thought it was Rod Beck.
I envisioned Rod Beck mixed with a little bit of the real Kenny Powers.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Rocker and Danny McBride were both born in Statesboro, GA for what it's worth.

And stay classy, John.

http://www.johnrocker.net/index.shtml

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

No longer. When 75 percent of New Orleans residents had left the city, it was primarily immoral, welfare-pampered blacks that stayed behind and waited for the government to bail them out. This, as we know, did not turn out good results.

:stare:

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

He looks like Rod Beck and is like John Rocker.

These two links basically cover it:
Rod Beck's Looks
John Rocker's Actions

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

And stay classy, John.

http://www.johnrocker.net/index.shtml
Good to know he learned nothing from the ignorance that ended up destroying his then-promising career. He makes Luke Scott look reasonable.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I started working at a card shop a couple of weeks ago, kind of boring so far honestly. Today the shop owner had me sort out inserts/autos/game used stuff for him and I found two 1/1s the dude didn't realize he had. I'm pretty sure just from working there a couple of weeks I could run a shop better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

I started working at a card shop a couple of weeks ago, kind of boring so far honestly. Today the shop owner had me sort out inserts/autos/game used stuff for him and I found two 1/1s the dude didn't realize he had. I'm pretty sure just from working there a couple of weeks I could run a shop better.
Probably, although 1/1 cards are not as rare as they used to be.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Some guys sign through the mail and some guys don't

Not the best story but whatever: A couple years ago I got a letter in the mail addressed to myself at a super old address, but the address was in my own handwriting.

Turns out Barry Larkin does sign via mail and it only took 15 years to get back to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

hackedaccount posted:

Not the best story but whatever: A couple years ago I got a letter in the mail addressed to myself at a super old address, but the address was in my own handwriting.

Turns out Barry Larkin does sign via mail and it only took 15 years to get back to me.

That may not be the best story but that is close to it.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
I won a severely miscut Mike Schmidt rookie card off eBay, so my "Hall Of Fame Players I Like" rookie card collection is progressing nicely. I'm trying to find a Pete Rose rookie that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Dan Hollis posted:

I won a severely miscut Mike Schmidt rookie card off eBay, so my "Hall Of Fame Players I Like" rookie card collection is progressing nicely. I'm trying to find a Pete Rose rookie that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Be very very very careful with the Roses. That's probably the most counterfeited card of all-time.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

jeffersonlives posted:

Be very very very careful with the Roses. That's probably the most counterfeited card of all-time.

Is that the one that the guy on Pawn Stars brought a stack of into the store? And it took Rick like 10 seconds to say "nice try, dude"

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

jeffersonlives posted:

Not baseball, but Michael Jordan's RC and the 86-87 Fleer set is probably up there as far as counterfeits go.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is that the one that the guy on Pawn Stars brought a stack of into the store? And it took Rick like 10 seconds to say "nice try, dude"

I think so, but Rick's also bought an obviously fake Lou Gehrig jersey and an Al Pacino autograph that was signed by a different Al, so consider how bad those fakes must have been.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, can't believe they bought that Gehrig. I could tell without even looking at it very long that it was sketchy.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

hackedaccount posted:

That is a good story. I imagine Mr. Larkin has a lot more time on his hands these days since he's seven years out of baseball. He probably signs stuff between the bottles of Jack he uses to kill the emotional pain.

It's what I'd do anyway...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

hackedaccount posted:

This gives me a little hope for some of the cards I sent out years ago. The longest return I've gotten so far was John Madden in 4 months.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
I sent out so many cards as a kid. I think the only one that ever came back was a Phil Neikro one, which is pretty sweet. Dale Murphy and Nolan Ryan sent the cards back a few months later with autographed 3x5 pictures. Still waiting for my goddamn Vince Coleman.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jose Canseco, who was with the Rangers at that point, sent a form letter saying that Mr. Canseco did not have time to sign and the card was returned with it.

Still waiting on Manny Ramirez, but he was in his first year or two with the Indians.

I'm still not sure how this happened, but out of the blue one day appeared an autopenned Tom Glavine card in the mail, with a form to join his fan club. I didn't write Glavine. I'm guessing an uncle of mine, who sometimes sent me cool stuff (like a Braves set of baseballs from Chevron), was the one who wrote Glavine.

I didn't send off many requests, but the only ones I can remember getting back with a signed card were Sid Bream and John Olerud. Both might have been autopens. Most of my autograph successes came from spring training.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My longest mail return was like 3 years plus for Kerry Wood once. I've had a few other long returns, but a lot of them probably got thrown out because I've changed apartments and cities so much in the last couple of years as I've finished college.

My best recent returns are from people like Jim Bunning, Don Sutton, and Mark McGwire. He signed a bunch this spring and I thankfully got him. Unfortunately I missed out on Vladimir Guerrero, who signed a lot for awhile but then stopped.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
There are not enough photos of baseball cards in this thread. Show us your prized possessions and/or favorite cards.

Here's that miscut Schmidt rookie I just got. I actually love that it's so unique (even if it's worthless.)

Am I the only one who loves really old beat up baseball cards? They have so much character and just bleed nostalgia. I'm thinking about wasting a paycheck on this 1921 Babe Ruth (although I probably won't):

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Dan Hollis posted:

There are not enough photos of baseball cards in this thread. Show us your prized possessions and/or favorite cards.

I've been collecting Dave Winfield cards since I met him at a book signing in '88. At last count I was up to 619 individual cards. I don't have most of it scanned though.

Winfield's rookie and 2nd year card. At one time when I was a kid these would have cost an arm and a leg. I picked both up graded for less than $50 about 7 years ago. The corners are so sharp on the rookie but the back is pretty off center.

I love these cards because along with Winfield, Puckett was another of my favorite players. They had some relic cards made together when they both went into the Hall. Someday I need to pick up a nice Topps Puckett rookie because that's one of the cards I always wanted as a kid. I had a chance to meet him once when he was signing at a school my dad worked at, but passed to work my lovely fast food job. :(

Just a couple more. In 2002 I bought a box of Topps to put a set together and pulled this:

1967 Topps card #1. They inserted vintage buy-back cards into packs with some insane odds. It was surreal pulling it from a pack.

The same year I bought a pack of Topps Pristine and my refractor was this card:

I was so pissed that I got some loving no-name worthless rookie instead of a Jeter or Bonds card I could put in my collection and tossed it in a box. Nearly 10 years later and it books for $100.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Do any of you buy reprints of vintage cards? I might actually buy this reprint Musial for $5 instead of the original for $250.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Dan Hollis posted:

Do any of you buy reprints of vintage cards? I might actually buy this reprint Musial for $5 instead of the original for $250.

There is no reason to ever purchase a reprint. It might as well be a counterfeit, there is no guarantee they won't simply print more. If you're getting it for $5, you're essentially throwing five dollars away. Save up and buy an original that is graded much lower (PSA 3-5) for $40-60 and you'll be much happier.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Man-Thing posted:

There is no reason to ever purchase a reprint. It might as well be a counterfeit, there is no guarantee they won't simply print more. If you're getting it for $5, you're essentially throwing five dollars away. Save up and buy an original that is graded much lower (PSA 3-5) for $40-60 and you'll be much happier.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find this Musial card for less than $200. Also, would the example above be a reprint or a counterfeit considering there is nothing on the card that tells you it was made recently? Seems whoever made that card might have been looking to fool someone.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Dan Hollis posted:

Unfortunately, I have yet to find this Musial card for less than $200. Also, would the example above be a reprint or a counterfeit considering there is nothing on the card that tells you it was made recently? Seems whoever made that card might have been looking to fool someone.
Ah, I didn't realize it was booking at $4000+ and the PSA 3-5's were going 200-ish. Yeah, you're SOL as far as that card goes. Buy a nice 8x10 of Stan the Man to put on display for about $10 and save your money till you can get your hands on a PSA/BGS 4-5. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

I got my first copy of Tales of Suspense #39 (1st appearance of Iron Man) and it was around a 2.5, for ~$200. I sold it to finance my second copy, which was a 5.0 (~$450). That's how you do it. Get the best version you can afford, hang on to it, and be ready to sell it to finance the next step up.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Man-Thing posted:

Get the best version you can afford, hang on to it, and be ready to sell it to finance the next step up.

This is good advice, and will probably be what I end up doing. Thanks.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

My "never actually buy the beater" cards like that are the 53 Mantle and Robinson. One of my life goals is to actually build that set. I almost bought a Jackie the other day, but got outbid out of where I was comfortable.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Here are a bunch of awesome pre-1925 sports pictures. Mesmerizing and fascinating.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

My "never actually buy the beater" cards like that are the 53 Mantle and Robinson. One of my life goals is to actually build that set. I almost bought a Jackie the other day, but got outbid out of where I was comfortable.

I'm right with you on both the 53 Mantle and Jackie. I was outbid on a Jackie about a month ago. I haven't been that frustrated at a sports card auction in years. Really, really pissed me off.

Every time a 53 Mantle pops up on Net54 I always take a look. When PSA 3s or 4s that have nice eye appeal show up for under a grand I always consider it. Both beautiful cards. I love the 53 set so much more than the 52s--and I like that set a lot, too.

The only 53 I don't like is the Whitey Ford. The ghost eyes freak me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

WillBBC3 posted:

I'm right with you on both the 53 Mantle and Jackie. I was outbid on a Jackie about a month ago. I haven't been that frustrated at a sports card auction in years. Really, really pissed me off.

Every time a 53 Mantle pops up on Net54 I always take a look. When PSA 3s or 4s that have nice eye appeal show up for under a grand I always consider it. Both beautiful cards. I love the 53 set so much more than the 52s--and I like that set a lot, too.

The only 53 I don't like is the Whitey Ford. The ghost eyes freak me out.

Showing my age a bit here, but I remember having an old issue of "Baseball Cards Magazine" as a 12 year old kid that had an interview with an artist that painted about 50 of the cards in the 1953 set. Don't remember much about the interview, but I assume you'd find it interesting.

Found one mention of it online - looks to be the August 1984 issue.

http://infielddirt.sportscollectorsdigest.com/2009/01/20/I+Wonder+Who+Painted+The+1953+Topps+Mickey+Mantle.aspx

Also looks like a couple issues are on ebay right now if really interested.

• Locked thread