Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DrGonzo90 posted:

So Topps is basically the only game in town anymore, with Upper Deck doing as best it can and then a couple other also-rans? And Topps releases like 20 different kinds of insert cards/autograph series along with the base set?

Topps is the only game in town since last year, as they have an MLB-exclusive license. Except for Topps, there's one small company that does a prospects series, but other than that, it's just Topps.

Upper Deck got into a major lawsuit/scandal for counterfeiting Yugioh cards, and lost their MLB, NFL, and NBA licenses.

Typically, a set will have a large base set, and 4-5 small insert sets. There's also a jersey card set, and an autograph set per product. Super high-end products will have a lot more jersey/autograph cards, if not entirely those.

DrGonzo90 posted:

Does everyone just buy hobby boxes hoping to get really rare autographed and cut-up jersey insert cards?

Depends. Hobby boxes are much better to build a set with fewer doubles, hobby boxes have better odds at getting jersey/auto cards (and better ones), and there's usually certain extras that come with hobby boxes (like special inserts or promotions).

DrGonzo90 posted:

Basically, can someone fill me in on the baseball card landscape as it stands right now and the best way to get back into the game in order to have fun and maybe get something cool? Are there low-budget and high-budget groups or does everyone just buy random packs/boxes?

Right now, Topps is making about a dozen releases over the course of a season. Here's what is out, so far:

- Topps -

The basic set that has come out for 60 years. 330 base cards, along with gold, diamond, and HOF parallels. This set also has a bunch of inserts, a Topps 60 jersey set, a Topps 60 autograph set, and in jumbo hobby boxes, cards with leather nameplates embedded in them.

This set has been out since February. Series 2 comes out in April/May.

- Topps Heritage -

This set has come out for over ten years, and it is a vintage style set with each release paralleling a historical Topps set. This year's version is in the style of 1962 Topps, with similar looking cards, insert/jersey/autograph cards relating to 1962, and gimmick cards (like stamps) that were produced back then. There are only 1-2 big hits per box, but those could include HOF jersey cards and autographs. One big thing in this year's set is Sandy Koufax signing for the first time in years.

This set came out this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DrGonzo90 posted:

OK thanks for the info. It sounds like there are still a ton of sets, they're just all Topps now - that's kind of annoying. I guess maybe I'll start with the basic set and pick one of the other sets to mess around with. The problem is that I don't like feeling that my collection is incomplete but it would be impossible to collect all the sets. It almost makes me not want to start collecting again at all. If you give people too many choices it makes it harder to make a decision.

What kind of sets would you be looking for? Even though all the sets are made by Topps, there really isn't much of a connection between the majority of all the sets.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We should do it later in the season, when there's more "fun" products out.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I can ship combined orders to anyone internationally who wants to do this and the football breaks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Strong Sauce posted:

So I got a box of cheapos (Opening Day) and not-so-cheapos (Gypsy Queen), which one should I open first?

Do the Opening Day first, then the Gypsy Queen. And post what you get here!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

EllisD posted:

I'll stick with my price guide value :colbert:

What really hurts is I'm sure everyone has a grandpa story like mine where "your grandfather used to have a lot of old baseball cards but got rid of them" and you realize if it wasn't for their carelessness you could be sitting on a gold mine right now.

The only reason why they're worth so much money is that everyone threw theirs out, creating scarcity. While some of the reason for '80s-'90s cards being useless is that there were so many made, another reason is that everyone saved the cards, thinking they'll make a fortune.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
My store is running a live auction event on Saturday, with internet and phone bdding included. Lots of crazy stuff, from HOF autos (Ruth, Cobb, et cetera) to lower end items like complete sets and photos. Check it out.

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1221402.html

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vj5UYg627sMZX5yd7yIh7JUKK2Hti3CVsiKKbH_TyxU/edit?hl=en_US

If you have any questions, email me at gordie.fall@gmail.com, please. I figure that some goons might want some of this stuff, or at least check out some cool items.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 23, 2011

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dan Hollis posted:

I just did some research on this and is it true the real valuable cards have metal framing that allow hobby shops to identify the boxes that have them by using a metal detector and keep them away from suckers like me?

From what I've seen at my store, the Marquee cards are incredibly sweet. Best card that I've seen so far was a giant Johnny Mize bat, and a giant Fergie Jenkins jersey card with an attached autograph.

With all products, we usually keep all boxes sealed, or everything kept in the case. Marquee actually has four little boxes with a pack in each, inside a larger box. There's ways to try and weigh the boxes (which is why we don't let customers feel around those packs), but the best cards aren't always the thick ones.

For the metal things, card companies have typically made cards of precious metals as redemptions, so certain people don't just feel around for them. For stores, we're usually very careful of who we purchase boxes from. There's a couple times where we got burnt from loose boxes that had nothing big inside of them.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

jeffersonlives posted:

Here's a Three Finger Brown T206 I picked up today:

And here's a first edition copy of one of the earliest baseball novels, Christy Mathewson's Won In The Ninth:

I also picked up my first 1955 Topps All-American Football - I think I might take a crack at that set - but I think that's slightly outside of this thread's purview...

Post it up! I've got the Michigan guys from that set.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chief McHeath posted:

I agree.

After I read

the other day I had a thought that this thread should just end up the non-hockey card thread. That is unless the basketball card people try to stage a full-on takeover.

There won't be basketball card people until the lockout is over...no 2011-12 products will come out until the owners and players agree.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Schremp Howard posted:

Is that part of their agreement? I remember hockey had a few lackluster NHL products and then some really sweet releases by ITG during the lockout that focused on junior/foreign leagues and individual players based on who would sign a licensing agreement with them.

The NHL/NHLPA's agreement with licensed companies is different than the NBA's. Hockey had a Upper Deck, SP Authentic, and Ultimate sets come out with current players, and some ITG sets with retired players.

The NBA is apparently not even allowing new products to be developed. There are no preorders, no release dates, nothing.

Even the NFL had products in the pipeline during their lockout.

Weirdly enough, the NBA is the only league to completely strip all current players from their websites and properties during their negotiations, so I'd assume it's all part of the same separation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Does anyone know where I might find an overview of all card sets produced, for say, just 2011? Like a flow chart of which company makes which cards, to get me started? All the different sets with their refractor, chrome, regular cards, signature, subsets within sets, etc, etc, has my head ready to explode! My Google-fu has been weak on this one and I need some help.

I suppose I could try to find a price guide to clue me in, but most of the grocery store and other newsstands around here quit carrying Beckett and TuffStuff.

I got out of collecting baseball memorabilia in the early 90's when the number of available cards and sets went parabolic and started to cost a lot. Apparently gone are the days of 15 cents for a pack of cards, now they go for $3-5 or more and there are less cards per pack (though the quality is a lot higher). I'm looking to get back into the hobby in a limited way and I'm just wondering where to start. Thanks.

The short summary for this year is that Topps is the exclusive manufacturer for MLB, and they produced around 8-10 releases, all of which have some inserts, jersey cards, autographs, et cetera.

I'll write up a bigger thing later, but every set has a certain gimmick or niche to it, and most of them cam seem complex but aren't really that bad.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I also work part-time at a giant sports memorabilia store, so if you need a certain thing, I can probably hunt one down or point you in the right direction.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I agree with you though, there's nothing like those old cards to have and look at, to imagine what baseball was like back in the day.

Yep, I've always enjoyed set building. I might start by just trying to build the basic Topps set from this year and go from there.

Any advice about recent sets to get me started would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at stuff that isn't too expensive and still has sealed boxes available to buy. I love opening fresh packs of cards to see what's inside. Takes me back to my childhood.

In my opinion, for a purely fun product, I'd go with 2011 Topps Lineage. It's all baseball; it has current stars, legends and rookies; it has a lot of fun insert sets and is relatively inexpensive to build.

The Topps sets are fun to build, but considering how expensive boxes have been this year, I'd recommend buying the factory set for Series 1 and 2, and then get packs and boxes of Topps Update. That would get you the "full" set with not as much cost and work.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Thanks for your suggestions. After checking on pricing, I decided to go for Topps Series 1, 2 and Update. I bought some Series 1 and some Lineage locally, paying $2.00/pack for Series 1 and $3.00/pack for Lineage. Series 1 has more cards per pack as well, so that's a bonus.

I like them both, but the inserts for Series 1 interest me more and the price is right. I couldn't find Series 1 cheaper than $2.00/pack even on eBay through buying the hobby boxes, so I'll stick with the individual 2011 packs for now and buy some 2012 hobby boxes next year at the time of release. Hopefully prices will be lower then at start of the year. Maybe the hobby boxes cost so much because they guarantee at least one relic or auto in the box? I dunno.

Hobby boxes (especially jumbo boxes) shot way up because of the Diamond Anniversary promotion earlier this year, where the code cards inside could be redeemed for online prizes and potentially a Topps diamond/championship ring. People hoarded as many of those cards as possible for a month or two. Prices haven't gone too far down since.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

anotherblownsave posted:

I have a 2004 world series ball signed by Kevin Youkilis, anyone know where I could get a value on this?

eBay. Check under current listings and completed listings.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Upper Deck, ladies and gentleman! :bravo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160711896608

And they wonder why that product doesn't sell for anything...

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Actually I really would like to know. Are you implying that stuff they use isn't genuine, or something else? I know UD has sold fake stuff in the past, like autos, but I thought it was because they had been duped themselves.

Here's a story about Topps putting out a fake Gehrig Triple Threads patch card:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/01/topps-corrects-lou-gehrig-triple-threads-error-with-a-cut-autograph/

They made good on it for sure, but it makes you wonder how much fake stuff is put out by the card companies, whether they know it or not.

From what I've seen in the industry, Panini is the best at getting legitimate/unique things for their products, Topps is mainly focused on rookies or legends, and Upper Deck is generally lazy and unimpressive.

Not saying that this is a completely accurate generalization, but for customer service, Panini is by far the best.

Also, what he may be implying is all the events used to generate tons of jerseys and autographs from rookies each year. Most of your big-name rookie cards have patches that are "event used", not game used.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah, this would be an amazing ask/tell thread if you don't want to fill this thread up with it. If you do, post the link to the thread here and I'm sure we'd be all over it.

I'll second this idea.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
As always...

- PSA is typically the best.

- If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. There aren't deals in this industry.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Thanks, this is a cool link. I wish they explained more about what makes stuff fake, though. The very first thing, that Bill Clinton invitation, they just say "ha look at this PSA certified Bill Clinton autograph, too bad it's an autopen." Ok, what makes it an autopen?

When put under closer examination, you can see things like how the pen stopped in certain places, the indents of the pen on the surface, and miniscule details like that. An autopen can make the same design, but not the same indentations like the actual signer.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spork Heidelberg posted:

Here's the latest info from the Diamond Giveaway site (which is currently down):

So at least Topps will be extending the times a bit. Word is they had to take down the site previously because people were able to enter the same code multiple times to get extra digs. Not sure why it's down now though.

It's down now because 2012 Topps Baseball is now out.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Boinks posted:

Anyone doing 2012 Topps Series 1? After opening a hobby box today I'm still 35 cards away from the set and have a huge stack of doubles from opening some blasters last week. I typed out all my doubles and am ready to make some trades.

My jersey hit was Jered Weaver :smith:
But I beat the odds and got an Ubaldo Jiminez Silk /50 and my first ever printing plate!

I had cases opened. Send me the list you need (to the address you Paypaled the money to for the hockey breaks), and I'll send the cards along.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

I've been out of this for a long time. What's the general opinion on the Ebay box break team thing?

We're doing some hockey box breaks in the hockey thread!

If you wanted, I could get one going here too.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I want to run this.

I've run multiple hockey breaks on another thread, and run a sports card and collectibles store in metro Detroit. (If you need anything at all relating to this stuff, let me know.)

Right now, I have 2012 Topps hobby and HTA jumbo boxes, plus lots of boxes and packs from 2011. I can also get in stock any products that you guys would want to break.

I'd support any of the team distribution systems. Could we do something where everyone gets one hit-heavy team and one/two other teams, perhaps? Figure it out amongst you guys, and let's get something going.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

Same here. I'm pretty new to box breaks, so I'll probably have a bunch of questions.

What are your questions?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The biggest hits out of the 2012 Topps jumbo boxes have been these Retired Rings cards, super thick cards of legends that have a metal ring face embedded inside the card.

I've got a bunch of them in, and before I put them online, I'd like to give anyone here a shot first. Email me if you have any questions (gordie dot fall at gmail dot com).

I have a Frank Thomas (Chicago), Luis Aparicio (Chicago), Carlton Fisk (Boston), Tom Seaver (New York) x2, and Frank Robinson (Cincinnati).

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

How exactly does the draft system work? What do we do with multi-player cards? Also, what do we do with redemptions? Will we do a live break?

e: Are trades allowed?

The draft system can work multiple ways, but it typically goes like one of these:

- Everyone gets a number, and chooses teams in that order
- Everyone picks one team, and gets assigned other teams
- Everyone picks a number, and teams are randomly chosen and assigned
- Everything is randomized

I'd prefer the first or last options for baseball.

----

Multi-player cards can go to the first player pictured on the card, a coin flip, or to whichever side didn't get any other big hits.

----

Redemptions will be sent out like any other card.

----

The break will be videotaped, and posted to YouTube, like we've done with the hockey breaks.

Anything else?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

I think that pretty much covers everything I had questions about.

I realize it can vary greatly depending on product, but what kind of per team price can I expect? What I mean is $20 or $200?

e: I'd also be happy with the first and last in your options.

The slot price will be around $20-30, depending on how many teams you get and what we are opening. Some of the money depends on shipping costs.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can you go into how much this would cost per person? Do we have to use pay pal? What if two people want the same team?

First come first serve for teams if we pick them, with some teams unavailable (due to too many hits).

Paypal is recommended, as I don't want to wait for mail to arrive.

Cost depends on what everyone wants to break.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

What is out right now other than Topps Series 1?

I guess if we're going into older stuff, I've always been a fan of the hand-painted stuff, but I'm probably alone in this. But to satisfy my curiosity, got any UD Masterpieces or National Chicle hanging around?

That's just classy.

I don't have it hanging around, but I can get it in!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theacox posted:

Maybe it would be easier if you gave us some choices, Howe.

Um, pretty much anything can be ordered. If there was anything in particular you guys wanted, make a list and I'll come back with prices.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

mattfl posted:

I was heavy into collecting about 4 or 6 years ago. I remember some of the most expensive stuff at the time was I think hobby boxes of SP Authentic? You got like 4 packs of like 5 cards in a box, they had these almost full size jersey/patch cards too. Those were awesome, Upper Deck makes/made SP Authentic right? Am I thinking of the right cards?

Yes, Upper Deck makes SP Authentic. Only now they are down to the licenses they have left, the NHL, NCAA football, and NCAA basketball.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

So how about prices for

EDIT: Looks like the new Heritage is out next week. That's probably the best bet if people are willing to wait, though it has only one relic or auto per box. But you might get a chunk of Shea Stadium, so that's pretty neat.

2012 Series 1 HTA - $125
2011 Gypsy Queen - $189
2010 Heritage - $120
2009 Turkey Red - no Turkey Red in 2009
2008 UD Masterpieces - $75
2007 UD Masterpieces - $50

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Antifreeze Head posted:

Series 1 works for me, though I wouldn't mind a cheap box getting added, like the 07 Masterpieces.

Is Gypsy Queen seriously $189? It didn't seem that fantastic.

When there is a huge gap in product releases, the last thing goers way up. Gypsy Queen was a mid-tier release that was the new thing on the market for a long time, so it sold out and created huge demand on the secondary market.

The same thing happened at this time two years ago, when 2010 Topps basically sold because Heritage took so long to come out, as well as customers used to new baseball coming out every week. Having one manufacturer with long spans between releases caused older products to shoot up in price.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
2012 Topps Heritage comes in next week. I'd like to do a multiple box break with you guys on the release date.

How many of you are in, and how much do you want to do?

With a very rough estimate, slots are about $8.50 per box for 2-3 teams. This is anticipating us having 10 people buying in.

Let's do this!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

camoseven posted:

I would be down for this. Does that price include shipping? If so I could probably do 3 boxes.

Shipping would be a little more if we get three boxes and you get a lot of cards. It's all weight based, and if you get over 3 ounces, the price goes up.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

jetgrindeggy posted:

I could swing 25.50 plus shipping for three boxes too.

Just came back from the card shop with a dozen packs of 2012 Topps. I'll post any hits after I break them.

It would be $25.50 or $26. Shipping one or two more ounces doesn't cost THAT much more.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DrGonzo90 posted:

This sounds interesting, I'm in. I could do 3 boxes.

So Howe does the break and records it an puts it on youtube? Is that how it works?

After teams get assigned, all the payment clears, all of that...

I will record myself breaking the boxes, and the video will be posted on YouTube and linked to here. Then, everyone can watch the video and see what they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Heritage comes out tomorrow!

Who wants to do some breaks!

• Locked thread