Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
I've been checking out Property Room lately and they have a lot of cards, dunno if anything on there is worth anything though. Anybody found anything good there?

They have signed baseballs and helmets sometimes too (including a Reggie Bush Texans helmet lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Hey guys, look what I got to see

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Private owner. It is actually locked in a case and then locked in a vice (see in background), this was the first time it's been taken out in half a decade. It's almost definitely an 8, maybe a 9. Definitely not a 10 because of off-centering.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
It was an absolute pleasure. He's also got a mostly complete book of '57 and '58 Topps in 7/8/9/10 condition, a Paul Blair Gold Glove award, a 1969 Mets World Series ring and that's just baseball stuff. It's card collector's heaven.

It's all going up for sale, too.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

jeffersonlives posted:

:swoon:

Say, your buddy doesn't want to give a goon a 95% discount on that card? :unsmith:

I think PSA had it graded at 8, but PSA grades can change depending on who grades it. The collector submitted one card to PSA two separate times and had it graded 7 and 8. :-/

Thanks for all your help, btw. Huggins and Scott and Leland have offered a pretty good deal compared to Heritage, I'll let you know where all of this is going to be sold. No discount on The Mick, but is there anything from the '53, '57, or '58 Topps collection you're holding out for? PM me or reach me through twitter.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Moe_Rahn posted:

I guess I never noticed this because I never collected older baseball cards, but was the Americanization of Clemente's first name on baseball cards ("Bob" as opposed to "Roberto") something that was done to make him seem less foreign to white fans of the late '50s and early '60s?

Yes, it was this. This was common at the time (see: Sandy Amoros). He forcibly made the press call him Roberto.

e: whoa I was really late on this one.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Yo guys, brought this up last time I was in this thread, but I'm going to be selling a number of cards this summer, lots of Topps from the 50s and 60s and 70s and some "unique" cards from the 80s and 90s.

For instance, I have a collection of about 100 '92 Jim Thome cards. I have no idea why this is in a collection, but I have to sell them.

Most of it's gonna be posted on eBay (is it kosher to just put the eBay name on here?), but I'd rather sell it to you guys, so if you have interest, just PM me.

I have 15 tins of 1987 Fleer factory wrapped Collector's Tins which I'm selling for 50 bucks (still in factory wrap) and 15 1987 Don Russ complete sets.

Individual cards for sale this week (most rated 5-6):

1952 Topps Ken Wood
1952 Topps Del Ennis
1952 Topps Bill MacDonald
1952 Topps Bob Young
1952 Topps Joe Tipton
1952 Topps Bob Chakales

Also:

6 wrapped packs of 1977-79 Topps, ~20 or 25 cards each, probably rated 4-5. These cards include (front/back):

-Al Worthington Twins/Yankees prospects (Brian Doyle, Mike Heath, Dave Rajsich)
-Frank Reberger Padres/Jim Palmer Orioles
-Jimmy Sexton Astros/Larry Hisle Brewers
-Rob Picciolo A's/John Henry Johnson A's
-John Ellis Rangers/All-Time Strikeout leaders
-Ron Schueler White Sox/Eric Rasmussen Cardinals

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 24, 2012

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Quantrill posted:

I am aware. I am curious if it's 100 of all the same card.

Indeed it is, 1992 Topps Jim Thome

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I love everything about this card

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Anyone want to take a guess as to who this signature is?

e: now with picture inserted:

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 6, 2012

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
hahahaha no way

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Think there was any palm greasing (or maybe just handshake agreements) to get them to a PSA 10? I know they're a lot tougher on grading now than ever and it's virtually impossible to get a 10 these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I had not heard that PSA is grading any tougher these days. Do you have any evidence for that, anecdotal or otherwise? I do know it's a lot tougher to get a BGS (Beckett) 10 than it is a PSA 10 though. BGS 9.5 is considered by most to be the same as a PSA 10.

BGS 10's are rare and I've never seen one with all four subgrades a 10.

More anecdotal than anything, but having spoken to some higher ups at heritage and a former PSA grader, they were saying a 10 ten years ago is a 8 or 9 today at best--if you have something graded by PSA in the 90s and early 00s, don't regrade it.

• Locked thread