Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I collected mainly from 1991-95. The packs got too expensive, contained too few cards, and there were too many subsets. drat 1994 Fleer for really beginning the downfall in the latter department. I did find the Nolan Ryan Smoke & Heat card in a pack. It was $50 in the Beckett back then. I'm not about to see how far it's fallen.

If I stumble on a card show - and I haven't in some years - I'll look around and get something if it's cheap. Sid Bream was my favorite player and at one time, I nearly had every card of his, but that was a few years ago and I don't know if anything else has turned up. Shockingly, there are 250+ Sid Bream cards.

Almost all of my collection is back with my folks as I just don't have room for it and I don't look at it much.

Let's see what I can find in my apartment:

Autographed copies of Pete Van Wieren's autobiography and Furman Bisher's Aaron. Met Bisher about 18 months ago. He told a story about visiting Ty Cobb up at his mountain home. Cobb said he was on medication. Bisher found out the medication was bourbon, which they both partook of it over the next few days.

I hang on to ticket stubs, parking stubs, stuff like that.

Parking permit for Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium

Atlanta was a minimum of four hours away from my childhood home. So, we were thrilled when minor league ball came to Albany. It would leave Albany a few years later because the city wouldn't fix the hellhole of a ballpark.

I saw Shane Andrews, Vladimir Guerrero and Ugueth Urbina play here. I went down for autographs on one occasion and one of the Polecats noticed the ball I had with me was in rough condition. So, he gave me a South Atlantic League ball and signed it. So, I became a fan of Jayson Durocher. He would briefly play in the bigs with the Brewers. I don't have that baseball with me.

I do have some stubs. I think Russell Branyan played in the 1995 game.

Baseball would briefly return to Albany a few years later, when the Wilmington Waves moved in. They retained the name, but disappeared after the one season. Albany still hadn't fixed up the ballpark and everyone and their mother knew this agreement wouldn't last. Attendance was horrible. I picked up a pack of cards on the cheap from the previous year's team at this game. The only name that made it was Shane Victorino.

For a few years, my Dad took me to a spring training game. We were as close to mid-Florida as we were to Atlanta. Went to Plant City, the former Baseball City, Winter Haven, Clearwater, Kissimmee, and Dunedin. In Dunedin, I got Will Clark's autograph and scraped up my leg climbing over seats to do it. He wasn't a Giant at this point.

We even went in 1995, the strike year. Of course, there weren't any regular players out there, but I don't remember attendance being too terrible. That year, we went to Winter Haven. I had a baseball with me, but wasn't expecting to find autographs. Then, some nice guy told my Dad and I that Bob Feller was over beyond the third base line signing autographs. For free.

I returned with my Feller autograph, Dad suitably impressed. The guy was still around. He then said Herb Score was doing a radio broadcast. Being a crappy minor league park, the booth wasn't too far from the bleachers behind home plate. I look up at that booth, see Feller and eyeball him. He apparently understands the baseball in my hand and I reach up. He signs it.

(If anyone's curious about the junk in the background, it's a Starting Lineup of Nolan Ryan, the former fob of a Falcons keychain - cheap thing came undone very quickly - and a complete set of California Raisins from Hardees in 1987 or 1988.)

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jose Canseco, who was with the Rangers at that point, sent a form letter saying that Mr. Canseco did not have time to sign and the card was returned with it.

Still waiting on Manny Ramirez, but he was in his first year or two with the Indians.

I'm still not sure how this happened, but out of the blue one day appeared an autopenned Tom Glavine card in the mail, with a form to join his fan club. I didn't write Glavine. I'm guessing an uncle of mine, who sometimes sent me cool stuff (like a Braves set of baseballs from Chevron), was the one who wrote Glavine.

I didn't send off many requests, but the only ones I can remember getting back with a signed card were Sid Bream and John Olerud. Both might have been autopens. Most of my autograph successes came from spring training.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean in the late 1990s/early 2000s we had:

-Topps/Bowman
-Upper Deck/SP
-Fleer/Flair/Skybox
-Donruss/Leaf/Pinnacle
-Pacific
-Just Minors
-Team Best
-Classic

I don't have my cards with me, but let's see what I can remember, for say, 1994, which was the last year I was really into collecting. Some may only be 1993, but after some time, it blurs.

Topps/Bowman/Traded/Stadium Club/Stadium Club team sets/Stadium Club Opening Day/Spanish (1993 also had full regular sets with emblems for inaugural Marlins and inaugural Rockies)
Upper Deck/Silver Signature/Gold Signature/Collector's Choice/Fun Packs
Donruss/Triple Play/Studio/Pinnacle
Score/Select/Traded/Gold Rush
Leaf/Leaf Black Gold
Fleer/Flair/10 billion little subsets, including Smoke & Heat, which had a Nolan Ryan card that was listed at $50 for some time. The Flair set was the biggest rip-off to exist at that time. Thick card stock, about five per pack, $3/$4 per pack, which at that time was ridiculous.
There was another Spanish set and I'm kicking myself trying to remember the name. It wasn't a usual set. Ah. Pacific Crown... I think.

For a time, I attempted to collect all Sid Bream cards. Even a player as mediocre as Bream had about 50 cards released that year.

I was trying to remember what my earlier card was. It seems like it's from 1947ish and I went to check Beckett as I had all my stuff listed there a few years ago. I understand them chucking my data as it's been a few years, but $30 just to store your card information? drat. I assume that doesn't include the price guide.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

It was definitely a SF hat he was wearing instead of NY, so looks like it was market value. Is there a particular manufacturer from the 60s I should look out for as higher value?

Other than a single Fleer set, every major release was Topps.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tobacco baseball card collection of Senator Richard Russell

It's a pain to browse, but there are some great scans in there. I suggest you pick an option from the browse drop-down box and not enter anything in the search box.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

streetlamp posted:

2009-present auto/relic/parallels, all topps

Since my last post I have actually put a few bucks on COMC and learned a lot more about how it works and will be definitely putting together a shipment for at least the first timer credit but probably more.

e: Also anyone recognize this series? A friend sent me some pics of a box he has and I assume its 80s/90s junk but I cant seem to find it.

1988 Topps Stickers (or O-Pee-Chee).

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

extra stout posted:

I know some of you are in the know about getting autographs done personally through the mail, is there any chance Whitey Ford is on that generous-guy list? And would any of you know the best way to work on a cheap collection of Whitey Ford/Mickey Mantle cards? Ebay is hell and full of fakes and I don't want anything rare, just some more old pictures for my desk basically. Right now I've just got a handful of cards I collected as a kid and put into storage, my favorite being a Topps 150 '67 Mantle.

Beckett Marketplace has some reasonable stuff. Throw in shipping charges with that, of course. It's been years since I've used it, but I've always had good luck buying there. If you really want cheap stuff, there's bound to be a bunch of modern inserts and Topps did a few glossy sets of reprints.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

I don't get it. What's the scam, homemade grading?

The vast majority of listings are absolute bullshit. There is no 1918 wheat penny Babe Ruth rookie, much less a 1919 wheat penny Babe Ruth rookie. None of the jersey cards have any branding on them. And though I've been out of the card collecting business for some time, I've never heard of a printing plate being up for sale.

Wow. The wheat penny listings go on and on and people are falling for them.

Oh, this is good. An unbranded Michael Jordan baseball rookie. With a sketchy 1986 Topps design.

EDIT: And a ripoff of 1986 Donruss, too..

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 26, 2014

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MMD3 posted:

I was just rifling through some old stuff and found a couple of cards from the last time I actually collected Baseball cards, 1986.

I was only 5 in 1986, but I remember being given a couple of boxes of topps traded for Christmas in '86 or '87 and at some point in the past probably 15 years I found the boxes somewhere and pulled out these Barry Bonds cards.

In doing a quick google search it looks like the prices vary wildly on these, and it seems like Barry Bonds is far from popular at this point but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if these look to be Tiffany or not (I have nothing to compare against) and if they're worth having evaluated or not. I'm not going to have my feelings hurt if you tell me they're worth a nickel.

Does the front feel super slick? Tiffany cards feel really slick on the front. I'd say it feels similar to an early Donruss Studio card (slick front, regular back), but you said you didn't collect by the time those rolled around.

theacox posted:

Standard Topps of that era had a sort of matte finish, whereas Tiffany are glossy on the front. It's unlikely that this is Tiffany, just based on the print runs, but it also doesn't look glossy in the picture.

Judging by the back, it may be at Tiffany. My card collection is in storage, save for my Sid Bream collection (for some reason, he was my favorite player as a kid). I have a regular 1986 and a 1986 Tiffany. The regular 1986 back is pretty dark, as are the backs of Topps cards through 1991. The Tiffany back is much brighter and does resemble that Bonds card.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Say, is that guy still selling those obvious fakes on eBay?

Yes. Yes, he is.

I never quite figured out this operation, whether there was some kind of shill bidding or somehow this guy found enough idiots to think that crap like this was legit.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

joshtothemaxx posted:

Would it be worth my time to attempt to sell a collection from the early 90s at a card show? Or is there a better online purchaser like Troll and Toad does for nerd stuff?

No.

You'd probably have difficulties even giving it away.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Those Upper Deck team holograms were cooler than Fleer's team stickers, but all stickers are cool.

Did anyone else ever put together a Donruss Diamond Kings puzzle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

maniacripper posted:

God I stole so many Fleer Ultra and leaf '93 packs in my childhood I still feel guilty about it to this day.

Fleer Ultra was 92 though, loving loved that set

Post your hits!

Leaf 1993 was one of the best designs, though I didn't have many cards from that set.

What I do have are a ton of 1989 Donruss and 1991 Fleer, two of the ugliest sets made. There was a Griffey rookie in the former, though, and if you got a box of Donruss and found that in the first few packs, you knew you'd have a lot of them as Donruss tended to follow the same patterns. At least they did through 1991.

The packs cover some real changes. Donruss, Topps and Fleer all had snazzier side sets issued for the first time in 1991 (Studio, Ultra and Stadium Club*) before jazzing up their regular sets in 1992.

* Not including Desert Shield, which is seemingly the only set from that era still worth anything.

• Locked thread