Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I've got the Topps 60 #5, send me a PM with your address and I'll get it out to you. The only thing I'm really looking for from 2011 right now are the diamond parallels for Josh Hamilton (26), Vladimir Guererro (67), and Cliff Lee (103), or any other Rangers parallels.

I've got the Lee diamond parallel and a Neftali one. If you want em, PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Last week I randomly bought a pack of Bowman Chrome on a routine trip to Walmart and came away with a Bryce Harper auto redemption. It's a 1:3000 packs thing. I'm not sure if this means I should just stop collecting immediately or what. The thing sells for anywhere between $350 and $500 on eBay, which is way more than an autograph of guys like Hank Aaron or Sandy Koufax. That pisses me off in ways I shouldn't need to explain, but it's also half a mortgage payment, so now I'm a big Harper fan. The plan for now is to hang onto it until he gets called up and sell it as soon as he hits his first hot streak.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

jeffersonlives posted:

If your sole goal is profit, sell it as soon as you get the card in hand. His cards will likely never, ever be higher in value than they are now, even if he turns into Barry Bonds.

My main fear right now is that once the redemptions come in, the market will be flooded and the price will drop. Especially since it will arrive in the offseason when interest will be lower. I probably should have sold the redemption card, but gently caress it. I've never pulled anything cool from a pack of cards and I'd like to at least GET the card.

At this point, I can't really do anything until the card comes anyway.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Absolutely getting it slabbed. From what I can tell, that's one of the biggest advantages of getting the actual card. A lot of these things will hit ebay in November, but most folks will be putting them up immediately and be hoping for a quick return. A graded card is going to be more legit to buyers.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the different grading services? Where should I send it?

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
I sent out so many cards as a kid. I think the only one that ever came back was a Phil Neikro one, which is pretty sweet. Dale Murphy and Nolan Ryan sent the cards back a few months later with autographed 3x5 pictures. Still waiting for my goddamn Vince Coleman.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Are the Heritage sets and Series 1 sets any good for ripping and flipping? I've got a bit of money saved and was thinking about putting it on a 2012 case of something.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
For all the lovely QC Topps had this year, I really loved 2011 Topps Chrome.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
My dad just gave me his childhood collection. Mostly 64 (Mantle!) and 66 (Jim Palmer RC x4!), but there's a 59 Aaron in there too. Most of them look like they'd grade in the 7.5 range. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Here's the best two cards that were just passed down to me. Considering their age, they're both in pretty good shape. Would it be worth it to get them slabbed? Either way, I'm happy :unsmith:

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
I'd be down for a group break, but I just finished building my 2012 Series 1 set. Heritage would be a blast though.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Opened a Gypsy Queen blaster from Target today and pulled this:

I think this is the lowest number thing I've ever pulled.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Yeah...it's a really weird insert. I put it up on eBay at $300 OBO. I'm hoping to get somewhere around $150-$200.

I don't think there's anything in there to fool metal detectors, which seems ridiculous. I put the card back into the wrapper and shook it around- there's a REALLY obvious rattling sound. Like...if you were at a shop you could grab a stack of packs and shake them and know whether or not there's a coin in one of them.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
That AAGPBL card is really really cool!

Fun story- my grandmother joined a senior league softball team when she was in her late 70s (she told us she was a "Designated Walker", but after she passed away we found pictures of her wearing an IF glove :3:). They were the only team who showed up to the state Golden Olympics, so they advanced to the nationals. Ryan Klesko sponsored the team and bought them jerseys and stuff.

Anyway, the team they played in the first round was mostly comprised of former AAGPBL players. They no-hit my grandma's team and mercy ruled them after 3 innings.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Bidding for Dmitri Young's insane collection of PSA 10 rookie cards is now open. You know, in case you have a shitload of money that you don't want anymore.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/catalog.aspx

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

theacox posted:

Opened a box of Gypsy Queen this morning and got this:

:smug:

drat that is incredible.

I ended up selling the Koufax penny card from GQ for $110. Not as much as I was hoping for, but considering the fact that it's a pretty dumb insert, I'll take it.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
A&G is pretty cool.

Pretty cool indeed.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

theacox posted:

Good Lord.

Was part of an amazing A&G case break tonight and got a Braun rip card /10. Sooooo psyched!

Just saw this. Did you rip it? RIP IT

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Whatever you get, I'll gladly trade you my Yovani Gallardo Golden Moments for it.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Oh wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Here's my Chrome haul (2 boxes)

:toot:

• Locked thread