Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Cool idea for a thread. My dad has a shitload of cards/memorabilia at his house. Bonds, Ripken, McGwire USA rookies that are now essentially worthless. I went through it all about 10 years ago and it's at the point now where it needs to be gone through again. As far as cards were concerned from what I remember the standouts were a Willie McCovey rookie, some assorted Nolan Ryan's my grandpa had given us and those rookie cards mentioned above. There was also the highly sought after Billy Ripken "gently caress Face" card. I'm probably missing some things, I used to be really into as a kid/teen but have moved onto other collections.

We also have a signed 8x10 of Joe DiMaggio that is on a plaque with some info about him that is pretty cool that my dad paid $100 for about 15 years ago.

When I was a teenager my dad and I would go to Cooperstown every summer for the Hall of Fame induction weekend. We went to the ceremony once (it was always way too hot) but the cool thing about it was all kinds of hall of famers would be up there signing stuff. Without looking off the top of my head I know we have Warren Spahn, Harmon Killebrew, Gaylord Perry, Frank Robinson, Ralph Kiner, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, all on balls. Tons of guys we missed too like Eddie Matthews, Ernie Banks, Luis Aparicio just to name a few. Also non HOFers like Don Larson, Pete Rose (:lol:), Enos Slaughter, and Joe Pepitone would be up there too so you never knew who you'd run into and it would be different each year. If you ever have the time and money definitely get up there that weekend because you never know who you'll find. The last time I was there was 10 years ago so I'm not sure if it still works like this but I'm assuming it does.

A couple of stories I remember was when my dad got the signed ball back from Perry he said it felt kind of wet which Perry laughed at (he was accused for doctoring the ball during his career.) Also Warren Spahn (the greatest LHP of all time) may he RIP was one of the classiest most down to earth guys, he talked to me for about 15-20 minutes about all kinds of stuff which I thought was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread