Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I pulled a redemption card for a Bowman chrome rookie refractor auto for Aroldis Chapman today. Apparently it won't ship until late September. By which time I expect he won't be throwing anywhere near 106 mph.

I guess I'll put it in my oddities collection with my Victor Cole card and the jersey swatch I have of Jacque Jones where the swatch appears to be from the Twins, he is listed as playing for the Cubs but the base card from the set lists him (correctly) as a Tiger. If anyone has a spare Revolving Door from last year's Allen and Ginter, I'd love to add it to the island of misfit baseball cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

camoseven posted:

If you haven't redeemed it yet, you can sell the code or whatever for a bunch of money now, and not have to worry about getting the actual card after his arm has fallen off.

It was one of these so it was going to be Freddie Freeman, Aroldis Chapman, Darin Mastroianni, Jarred Cosart, or Lars Anderson. I figured I may as well just have the card and hope that whomever I got makes some waves and I might sell it for more than the 20-25 people are getting for the redemption card right now.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

jetgrindeggy posted:

Gonna pick up some Bowman packs at the card shop Saturday.

Get anything interesting?

I picked up a box of 88 Topps (for 10 bucks) at my card shop because it came with a bonus on top. Have a look:

Rawly Eastwick, Yankees Pitcher, 1978?

Jim Rooker, Pirates Pitcher and Broadcster, marked '81 on the back

Roy Smalley, Twins Short Stop, should be from '76

Dan Ford, Twins Outfielder, probably also a '76 (rookie auto I guess?)

Plus 14 more, mostly more Twins from '76. Kinda neat really, but I'm not really sure that the last two are really signed or if they are just printed/stampped on.

Or even what they are really. Are they some sort of team-provided thing that players sign (or have their signature stampped on or something)? Anyone have any info? I can't even find similar photos on google images.

There were also some old photos in there which sadly were not signed, like Harmon Killebrew in a Royals uniform, Rollie Fingers, Hank Aaron and a very young Robin Yount. Also, this guy:

I can't figure out who this is, but given the other photos are of recgonizable names, I'm guessing he must be someone of importance.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2011

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bob Shabazz posted:

This is Gaylord Perry

Thanks. I'm not sure how I figured out one guy was Lindy McDaniel but couldn't get Perry.

FlamingLiberal posted:

From the images you've provided, it's pretty clear that those are indeed signed and not just printed. It's usually easy to tell. The best way is to shine some light across the surface at an angle. This allows the ink to appear different from the actual surface of the photo.

Based on those images, the Twins ones look team-provided. The Jim Rooker looks like it came out of a magazine or a newspaper.

The thing about the autographs is that they have some unusual edging (sort of fuzzy and bumpy) which reminded me of a signature stamp I used a lot. That said, it doesn't seem like a wise financial move to have a stamp made up for a guy like Tom Norton.

The Rooker was on some sort of card stock with nothing on the back, so also likely some sort of promo item I guess. Is this just what you got when you wrote a team for an autograph?

And here's Yount at like 19 or 20 years old.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

You will probably want to send it into BGS for Bowman Chrome cards.

However, I pulled a Bryce Harper Bowman's Best from Bowman 2011, I was going to get it slabbed by Beckett except I noticed that they don't use SSL on their page when you type in your credit card. Yeah no thanks.

Probably just going to sell it "raw" on eBay later.

PM me with a price, I need it to complete my set.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Could you ballpark an actual number of cards and give some indication of which series you have in there? "A few hundred" sounds pretty high for not having anything complete.

Consider finding a bit of time to sell the autos and chase cards individually, maybe some of the jersey cards too if you were buying premium stuff. Those are likely where most of the value in the stuff you have lies.

Otherwise the least amount of effort you can put in is to take it all down to a card shop and see what the guy will offer you.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

mattfl posted:

If had to ballpark the actual number of cards, over 750-1000 cards total. I'll put together a list in the next couple of days of what series of stuff I have in binders and some of the auto/jersey/chase stuff I have.

That's like 2 or 3 hobby boxes worth of cards, which isn't very much really. It depends on the sets though, if it was all Triple Threads or similar then maybe you've got something. If it's just regular old cards, you've not got much of anything of value in a bulk sale.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
My diamond giveaway stuff was in good shape, though I didn't get anything too cool. Best I got was a '61 Dave Wickersham and a '95 (I think) Trevor Hoffman, which isn't that cool except that card is the last number 7 made by Topps that isn't a Mantle. An old Mel Queen too, not sure what year.

And I got them for free, so I really can't complain.

Anyone going to try the Museum set that's going to come out? It's 170-200 for 1 on-card Autograph, 1 Autographed Relic card, 1 Jumbo Relic card, and 1 Quad Relic card. I might be tempted.

Though I should probably finish off last year's Bowman baseball. So many of the topps 100 missing.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Technowrite posted:

Where and how the hell do we start?

It would be helpful if you could give some indication of which years and what manufacturers are present. Generally older is better, though no amount of time between the present day and the mid 80s to early 90s will ever make those cards worth much of anything.

There are a couple of exceptions to that general rule. Look for rookies and anything from 1991 that has a gold Desert Shield emblem in the top right hand corner.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Technowrite posted:

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive, but we haven't even seen the entire collection yet and I am merely going through what I've only seen thus far.

Take a few pics if you can, big collections are always fun to see.

purkey posted:

So, nobody else is up for a group break?

I'm a strong maybe, depending on sets and how team selection will be done. I almost would prefer it be done by random selection (allowing trades) so people who want teams like the Royals, Marlins or Diamondbacks won't miss out on the chance for the high value hits that guys who get Boston, the Yankees or the Cubs has.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

camoseven posted:

Same here. I've seen some breaks in which everyone picks a team and gets all the base/inserts of that team, and then the hits are given away randomly. If it's a really big hit, we could sell it and do another break for free.

I'd be game for something like this. There was also some talk about a year ago of doing one draft style with 5 or 6 people - get a high value team with your top spot then the team you really want 2nd or 3rd.

I hesitate to step up and run it since I'm in Canada. There's no reason everyone should have to pay more for the cards and extra for shipping.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

Cost depends on what everyone wants to break.

What is out right now other than Topps Series 1?

I guess if we're going into older stuff, I've always been a fan of the hand-painted stuff, but I'm probably alone in this. But to satisfy my curiosity, got any UD Masterpieces or National Chicle hanging around?

That's just classy.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Ghumbs posted:

I miss the 90s. Fleer, Pinnacle/Score, Donruss/Leaf, Topps/Bowman, Upper Deck. There was so much interesting product being released.

The fact that so many of these are still available new in box for less than MSRP is reason enough not to go back.

And back to the box break...

Am I right that all that is out this year is Series 1, Tribute and Opening Day? I guess this means Series 1 (probably HTA) as Tribute is too expensive and Opening Day too cheap.

For years previous, I don't think it makes much sense to open up a box of anything really recent unless it is well below its original price. I didn't care much for Heritage last year, but I'd be down for anything before that. National Chicle didn't seem to gain much traction (even with blowfish Jayson Werth's help) but that still leaves Gypsy Queen and Turkey Red. Gypsy Queen was ok, same for Turkey Red. I'd like to avoid anything without MLB logos.

I love Allen and Ginter, but if we do that I'd rather buy Team Not-Baseball than anything. I don't think there is a good way to fit Ginter into a break. After that it's just Chrome and Bowman and some stuff that is too expensive to seriously consider. Bowman is about prospecting so it sucks to open it past its year (so much failure per box) and opening it would mean adding Washington to the group of teams that can't be taken. I have no strong feelings either way about Chrome.

So how about prices for
2012 Series 1 HTA
2011 Gypsy Queen
2010 Heritage
2009 Turkey Red
2008 UD Masterpieces
2007 UD Masterpieces

EDIT: Looks like the new Heritage is out next week. That's probably the best bet if people are willing to wait, though it has only one relic or auto per box. But you might get a chunk of Shea Stadium, so that's pretty neat.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 7, 2012

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Series 1 works for me, though I wouldn't mind a cheap box getting added, like the 07 Masterpieces.

Is Gypsy Queen seriously $189? It didn't seem that fantastic.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'm in for Heritage. Three boxes seems to be the standard, I'm down with that.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Is the $8.50 the price for the 10 person (each with three teams) option? Because for 15 people (each with two teams) that's $127.50, which is ripoff city for a hobby box of Heritage.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

By the time you ship out ten cubes of cards, the cost does go up. There's lots of cards in this break, and everyone will be getting a small box.

Fair enough, I had no idea you were including shipping in the price.

In for three.

Are you randomizing for each box or just the total break?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Actually, I might think about getting the "Rick Face" card because that story always made me laugh. Although, is 80 dollars for a card that says "gently caress" on it really a good investment?

Do not pay $80 for that card. If you look around on ebay you can find cards graded 9.5 or 10 that sell for less than half that and ungraded versions can be reliably had for under $10.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

Also, three people have sent in payments (four if I'm included).

Send away guys, I'd love to do a first-day break!

Just waiting on international (Canada) rates.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

Does anyone have any favorite teams among the guys that already sent?

Please, no Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/Giants/Dodgers.

Payment has been sent. I could probably swing a second spot if we are having trouble getting to 10 in a timely manner.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

I don't know about the 3-in-1 box toppers (I'd have to ship them uniquely), but the multi-player cards will be given one to each person in there are multiples. If there's only one, I'll try to distribute them evenly.

Does anyone in particular want the non-sports inserts? It's all 1963 stuff like MLK, JFK.

I think I'm going to do the Heritage set this year, so I wouldn't mind getting them.

And to that end, is there anyone else interested in trading their duplicate commons for mine? Assuming AsInHowe is ok with it and doesn't mind sifting through to facilitate.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

Everything is packaged up by team already, but I'll try to hook you up, Antifreeze Head.

Do you have any other cards from this set so far?

There should be a box of it waiting for me at my LCS, but it (and everything baseball really) is slow to get to Canada. But maybe it will be next week or sometime in April.

Not a big deal if it can't be swung. I can always use doubles on my mountain bike so it sounds like a super rad motorcycle.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

Videos are uploading now.

Here's the first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx1aZVCKpeY&context=C42cd9a8ADvjVQa1PpcFMKYupVVNEFRQgmZzSrCIannpKQESy50R4=

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

No hits that are too big. Regular jerseys in them all. The videos did have every card shown, so that people could look for their own stuff and the shortprints though.

Jerseys were Evan Longoria, Carl Crawford, and Joey Votto.

So there was two hits in one of the other boxes? Or did you type Joey Votto in place of Jay Bruce?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Here is some more of the video fromn the Heritage box break, which I'm guessing started to upload at the repair shop.

Box #2 (incomplete)

Box #3

Spoiler on the third one What the hell Topps? Couldn't you put the foil on the other side of the card so you don't stamp it over the guy's head?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Machinima Man posted:

Though to anybody with set completion experience, does the fact that Bowman puts out 220ish card sets make them easier to collect, or are the packs overloaded with inserts?

Of the 10 cards you get in a pack, you'll usually get five base cards. Two will be the prospects two more will be chrome prospects, though I suppose there's an argument to be made that these are a kind of base.

And with the heap of insert sets, it takes a long rear end time to put all that together. I'm still looking for some of the Topps 100 from Bowman 2010 (though I'm not working too hard on it).

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 3, 2013

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

eviLduke posted:

Too expensive, perhaps?

2012 Topps Heritage 6 Box Break
  • 10 slots
  • 3 random teams/slot
  • $40/slot

I'd likely be down for this.

As Ash said, drafts are better. Plus they get around someone being randomed into teams with a ton of history and great chance at big-dollar pulls and someone else ending up with Arizona, Miami and the Royals. At least with a draft, it's your own drat fault for picking the Pirates if St. Louis is on the table.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

eviLduke posted:

Still have 5 slots left! And the boxes should be here by the end of the day on Wednesday. Perhaps I should move it to SA Mart to fill the other 5 slots?

1. Groucho Marxist
2. Mooseisontheloose
3. Theacox
4. Quantrill
5. Frobocop
6. "Your name here"
7. "Your name here"
8. "Your name here"
9. "Your name here"
10. "Your name here"

I'll take 2. I'll paypal you the cash later today.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Cash has been sent.

And I must not be connectng the dots quite right in my head. For $20 a box (presumably a blaster?) you're guarnteed an autograph with Turkey Red?

EDIT: Oh I get it. It's an 11 card box. Hrm.... Anyone going to be picking some up? With a small base set I might look at getting a few boxes then trading to round out the set.

EDIT X2: Then again... they're sticker autos. Might have to take a pass on this afterall.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 12, 2013

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

eviLduke posted:

Tomorrow night at 8pm EST?

Works for me. Though I have a habit of missing the hockey ones for one reason or another, so I might post a draft order here.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
7th inning stretch in the break... here's the stuff of note so far.

1 Auto: Ed Bauta, P, St. Louis Cardinals

2 1963 buyback boxtopers: Clay Dalrymple, C, Phillies; Bobby Del Greco, OF, KC Athletics

3 Relics: Carl Crawford, OF, Red Sox; David Price, P, Rays; Melky Cabrera, OF, KC Royals

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I cashed in one code and got Mike Moustakas. If he goes on a hitting spree to start the season, I'm sitting pretty. If he doesn't, I'll at least bank a few cents from selling off my code cards.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I don't think I'll be in for the series one case, but maybe for Gypsy Queen or Archives.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Here is a listing for 7 complete Topps baseball sets from 1986-1991 (inclusive). If you don't feel like clicking, the final sale price was $99.99 and the buyer didn't have to pay for shipping.

And this is an example of a sale of a box of cards, in this case Topps 1989. It went for all of $2.25, though some other successfully sold boxes have gone for as much as twice that.

Which isn't to say you might not have something of value in there. There is a 1987 Donruss Opening Day card for Barry Bonds that contains an error. It sells from $150-$650 bucks depending on how the card is graded.

And if you guys had the good fortune to pick up the special collectors editions that Topps put out (they're now known as Tiffany editions, though that isn't printed anywhere on the box) you should have no trouble finding a buyer for that stuff.

If you're real lucky, you have some of the 1991 Topps cards that they made for the soldiers overseas. They have a gold stamp of the logo for Operation Desert Shield and are worth several orders of magnitude more than their regular counterparts. The basic 1991 set of Topps sells for about $5, the Tiffany set goes for $200 and there have been a few Desert Shield sets that have sold over the past couple months for $1500.

I don't quite know as much about the basketball, except that those years contain the Michael Jordan Fleer Rookie. If you have that, you are sitting on a card that will sells in the low end for hundreds of dollars and into the four-figures for a decent copy.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Gunjin posted:

And in an interesting twist, Panini just announced an exclusive autograph deal with Strasburg:

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/breaking-panini-america-inks-exclusive-autograph-deal-with-stephen-strasburg/

Money enough for that yet they couldn't spare a few bucks to have someone install a blog on their site so they just use a wordpress address.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Everyone should know how to pack search, but you shouldn't ever really do it unless there's a little kid looking to get some cards. Hand him something that will have a jersey card as he'll be far more thrilled than you will ever be with a square inch of fabric that might have touched Alcides Escobar. And only do it with retail product.

That said, I have no problem searching old retail product like the 2012 Allen & Ginter racks packs that are still hanging at my local Walmarts because nobody wants to pay full retail for them (especially since they arrived a month into this current season). In the end they just get searched anyway when some company buys up all the old stock to make repacks that include "guaranteed hits" or whatever.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
There was a Donruss hockey product a couple of years ago. I kinda liked it, but I was apparently one of a very few that did as it was discontinued after that first run.

They've certainly done a good job working around the logo issue here, though I'd rather they went with "Baltimore" than "Baltimore Baseball Club".

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Machinima Man posted:

God, that guy really pisses me off. I wish there were a way non-sellers could report him, but I don't think he's technically breaking any rules. Seems he covers his bases with the item descriptions.

I guess you could try to track down the copyright holder of the images he is using and see if they might want to start levying fees for non-licensed use of their material.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Anton Chigurh posted:

I think if I had to sign stuff and wanted to be honest about it, my signature would probably end up looking as quickly dashed off as this (Russell Wilson):

My signature is already about that lazy, and I have basically nothing at all to sign.

Wasn't there some guy on the cover of a Madden game that said he hauled around a massive tub full of cards everywhere he went just so he could get them all signed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
A&G is also great because it has weird random inserts like an evolutionary history of mankind, a baseball card that immortalizes the revolving door and minis dedicated to the naval ships of the US Civil War.

Are they going to do a mystery again this year? I've never tried a run at figuring one out, but the accounts of those that have managed to crack the code are quite entertaining.

• Locked thread