Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Bid on ebay for graded 10 Derek Jeter and Bryce Harper rookies today. This new credit card will be the death of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
One of my diamond giveaway codes yielded a die-cut Miguel Cabrera. Also pretty sure the Allen & Ginter Derek Jeter jersey relic I bought off Ebay is at the post office waiting for me to pick it up. Gonna pick up some Bowman packs at the card shop Saturday.

Also, this is a long shot, but did anyone collect the 1995 Donruss Studio set? The one that looks like credit cards? A guy at work gave me a mostly complete set and I'd like to get the rest of them.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 4, 2011

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Antifreeze Head posted:

Get anything interesting?

No. Manny Banuelos rookie that I'll hang onto just because I collect Yankees rookies, even though it won't ever be worth anything.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I only started collecting again about two months ago, and only modern era. My oldest card is the 89 Fleer Bill Ripken gently caress Face.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Card shop was sold out of Bowman (again), so I bought half a box of Allen & Ginter.
And got nothing.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Boinks posted:

Anyone doing the update set this year by the way? I'm about 50 cards away from completion and have a nice stack of doubles.

Also has anyone gotten anything good from the Diamond Giveaway? I've gotten a few 1955 cards and a couple of the diamond die cut cards. Had one of the die cut cards sent to me and they're really high quality. They're thick with a rainbow finish and they have a film you peel off the front like the old Finest cards.

I got a diamond die cut Miguel Cabrera. It's pretty nice, though it came with a little nick on the top edge.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I got an auto redemption from Bowman, but it doesn't say who. It just says You are due to receive a Bowman Chrome Prospect Base Auto from 2011 Bowman Baseball. I should send it in, right?

Edit: A little Google sleuthing tells me its either Freddie Freeman, Aroldis Chapman, Darin Mastroianni, Jarred Cosart or Lars Anderson. Either of the first two wouldn't be bad.

More edit: Cosart. But really, four and a half months before it ships?

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 3, 2011

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
That Mathewson is incredible.

Looking through some cards I got this summer, I found one of these. It's probably at it's peak value now, what with his rookie of the year win and all, yes? I'm tempted to throw it up on Ebay starting at, say, $50. Does that seem about right? Should I bother getting it graded? It's got a slight spot on the surface, it probably wouldn't get more than an 8.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Count me in as possibly interested, depending on how we decide to split up the teams. I really only collect the Yankees, so I'd want to trade my other teams for them. I'm not picky when it comes to which set we break, but I'm not a rich man.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I could swing 25.50 plus shipping for three boxes too.

Just came back from the card shop with a dozen packs of 2012 Topps. I'll post any hits after I break them.

Edit: Nothing good. Base cards of Mantle, Rivera, Romine, Pineda, Betances, David Robinson, and a Gold Standard DiMaggio to add to my Yankees collection. Of my four Golden Giveaways codes, 2 were CC Sabathia coins.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 9, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

AsInHowe posted:

The breaks are broken "live" and immediately posted on YouTube.

Two spots to go. Actually, three spots to go. I'll give up mine if someone else wants in.

Sending now, give me a minute.

Okay, sent.

Willing to trade two teams of your choice to whoever gets the Yankees.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 15, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Paging Dr. Gonzo... I'll up my offer, you can have all three of my teams for the bombers. I'll even pay any extra shipping costs if there are any.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

AsInHowe posted:

I don't know about the 3-in-1 box toppers (I'd have to ship them uniquely), but the multi-player cards will be given one to each person in there are multiples. If there's only one, I'll try to distribute them evenly.

Does anyone in particular want the non-sports inserts? It's all 1963 stuff like MLK, JFK.

I'll take them

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

AsInHowe posted:

Everything is packaged up by team already, but I'll try to hook you up, Antifreeze Head.

If you want to give/trade your doubles to Antifreeze Head, post here by midnight tonight.

Do you have any other cards from this set so far?

He can have mine

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I don't open too many packs, I can only think of 3 real hits in the almost a year I've been collecting. Best was a Mariano Rivera jersey relic, as he's my favorite player.

I had to open dozens of packs of 2011 Bowman before I pulled the base Harper, and then when I finally got it, the centering was off. All the while I could have went on eBay and got one for the price of 3 packs.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 24, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Question about how the different grading companies compare to each other. I'm planning on buying a 1993 SP Derek Jeter rookie on eBay. I wanna spend around $100. In that range I could get a PSA 8, BGS 8.5, or BCCG 9. Which would you rather have?

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 1, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

jeffersonlives posted:

Never buy high grade BCCG cards, it uses a weird scale and generally sucks. Between the PSA and BGS I'd just buy whatever one looked nicer.

Thanks for the heads up, I was gonna blow another chunk of change on a BCCG 10 Mariano Rivera.

What about GMA? They're also a lot cheaper than PSA or BGS. Same deal?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

DaFuente posted:

Bidding for Dmitri Young's insane collection of PSA 10 rookie cards is now open. You know, in case you have a shitload of money that you don't want anymore.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/catalog.aspx

If you sort by lowest price, there's a lot that may still end up being affordable. I plan on putting in a bid on his 1990 Bowman Tiffany Bernie Williams. He's even got his own cards up there. How funny would it be to own a Dmitri Young card from the Dmitri Young collection?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Just bought a 1990 Bowman Tiffany Bernie Williams to add to my Yankees rookie collection. Such a nice looking set.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

AsInHowe posted:

Do you have or want a 1993 Topps Jeter?

Already got it. Was actually the card that started this collection. Sorry.

Just picked up an 84 Topps Mattingly. Next up is probably Cano or Posada, then the 93 SP Jeter when I have some money.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
My local shop didn't get any A&G in yet. :(

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
My hit from a box of 2012 Topps Series 2 was an Alex Avila relic. :suicide:

At least I also pulled the David Freese where he's holding a squirrel, and the Rod Barajas error.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Anyone know anything about this set? Apparently it's a 50 card set where every card is Pete Rose, with one auto per box. I might buy one of these, they're cheap and I hate buying a box and having my hit be some no-one schmuck. Plus I'd love one of those "I'm sorry I bet on baseball" balls.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

theacox posted:

Also, if you opened a hobby box of Ginter this year, pull apart the lid of the box. Some of them have unannounced 1/1 glossies inside them.

Sounds like a great way of having a bunch of 1/1s end up in a landfill.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

theacox posted:

If you haven't, check out haulsofshame.com. If you believed authenticators were on the level, you won't if you believe half of that site.

I bought a PSA 10 Mariano Rivera rookie on eBay and it's got a very obvious printing spot on the front. No way they could have missed it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

jeffersonlives posted:

As someone who only occasionally dabbles in shiny new stuff, the elimination of the 9000 brands of poo poo cards was a big positive for me. At least now most of the product that's out there has a target market and a purpose.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's still 9000 different brands out there, they're just all made by Topps.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
What's really amazing is the guy's feedback rating.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Boinks posted:

Looking through my collection, Jake Westbrook has an old-timer's signature.

Bowman Heritage were some beautiful sets. I don't really like the modern throwback sets, the old Topps designs were usually pretty cheesy. But the old Bowman designs were nice and elegant.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I have a complete set of 1996 Bazooka, gum included. Sometimes I'm tempted to try it, but I have enough dental problems as it is.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I doubt guys who make tens of millions of dollars a year care whether their signature is worth $5 or $50.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

ElwoodCuse posted:

The worst signatures out there are the ones in the rookie and draft pick sets

That's true, I guess. This is my Brett Gardner auto, signed at a game when he was in double A, at least according to the guy I bought it from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I picked up a pack of Allen & Ginter on a whim yesterday. Didn't get any hits, but it's fun to see what non-baseball stuff you get. I got a jet airplane, Miss Universe, Dr. James Andrews, and a mini of barbed wire.

• Locked thread