Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Any helmet recommendations? I would prefer to have an open face model unless there is a huge drawback I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go for an SA2005 rated one if you have any interest doing track. If you want to keep it cheap and only for autox, check your local car club's/clubs' rules and see what type of motorcycle helmets they allow (should be Snell M or DOT).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I have a really comfy HJC CL-16 which is Snell 2010 which will make it legal for twice as long as Snell 2005 helmets.

It's an entry level helmet too which makes it rather affordable.

Read about it here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-16/

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I wish I had an open face helmet, although I do feel all super race car driver with a full face helmet on.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I would recommend an open face if you don't have a convertible. It gets hot as balls in a full face helmet, and the open air of a convertible is the only thing that cools it down.

The problem I find with full face helmets is that you have an extra few inches of helmet hanging off the front of your face. So if you turn your head to look out your driver side window (something that you should be doing if you look ahead as you drive), then your helmet smacks into the window

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Lightbulb Out posted:

The standard E30 rack is 4 turns lock to lock and is annoying on the autocross course for sure, but wouldn't make me sissy enough to not try it at least once.

Get an E36 rack, it's awesome.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

whiskas posted:

The problem I find with full face helmets is that you have an extra few inches of helmet hanging off the front of your face. So if you turn your head to look out your driver side window (something that you should be doing if you look ahead as you drive), then your helmet smacks into the window

Why is your window up?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I can't say I've had side window problems in my Miata. I have had issues with the helmet hitting the softtop mechanisms though. Which is why I hate when it starts pouring before a run.

That said, wet autocrosses are the best autocrosses.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At that point i'd just say "screw it". Replacing a carpet isnt that difficult or expensive :)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Get an E36 rack, it's awesome.

It is one of the best upgrades I've ever done to both my more racing car and the DD 318.

I can't loving wait to autocross this weekend. I just got a new full face helmet, so we'll see if I like it.

ToreA55
Aug 2, 2010

Podothehobbit posted:

Good time for a thread! I actually just finished up an event at Firebird International Raceway today. Here have a shaky vid of me tearing up the course in my little Yaris --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTlFkkrm5gQ .

That's right kids, if I can race a Yaris you have no excuse for not bringing your grocery getter/boring car out to a meet!

This man speaks truth; autocrossing is pretty fun in any car, unless you're trying to be super competitive. I started last summer, in Asheville, NC, which I believe is the Highlands Sports Car Club. I ran my Taurus in Street Modified, just because I had no idea what to classify it as at the time, due to the auto-to-manual swap, torque biasing diff, 13" front brakes, and other stuff. I think it was the brakes that the organizers told go SM for, actually. Of course, I was the slowest in my class, driving a 90's Ford Sedan, but it was still fun as hell.

Anyway, here are my two videos; I think one was my best or second-best run, and the other was funny because I managed to lock up the rear wheels and spun a little early on, at the end of the slalom. The chattering in the videos is my sweet camera mounting solution vibrating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2GMV0fFcCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=781orjuAEpM

They had a photographer at one of the events, so here are links to two photos of my jellybean.

http://jkayphoto.smugmug.com/Sports/autocrossNS5/MG6216/959644481_DUfdW-L.jpg

http://jkayphoto.smugmug.com/Sports/autocrossNS5/MG6344/959690690_Gq3HQ-L.jpg

Edit: Wow, I'm slow in those videos!

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Any suggestions for a really thin/low profile helmet?

My head is practically touching the roof already, I don't know how I could fit with some of the helmets I've tried on.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Any seattle goons going to the slush run autocross on sunday? I'm going to see how my impreza fairs in ST1 HS index with my lovely tires. Should also be interesting to see how my friends do in SS with an Elise.

Event info:
http://www.wwscc.org/evinfo/2011/slush2.html

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Hooray! An autox thread!

I'll go ahead and throw in here, I'm a massive cone dodger.
Currently driving my 04 WRX in STX, done some national tour and divisional events, and took her to two years running. If you haven't made the pilgrimage to Lincoln, do it... even for a National Tour or Prosolo. LAP is ridiculously huge.

Obligitory autox photo (Nats '10, West Course)

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

whiskas posted:

I would recommend an open face if you don't have a convertible. It gets hot as balls in a full face helmet, and the open air of a convertible is the only thing that cools it down.

I opted for the full face so i could run with a really dark tinted visor... i really don't like wearing sunglasses with my helmets on.. But an open face is considerably cooler. that being said, the more expensive closed face ones have much better venting.

What kind of car are you driving that your face is that close to the window?

HachiGo posted:

My head is practically touching the roof already, I don't know how I could fit with some of the helmets I've tried on.

you really aren't going to find one that will meet most sanctioning body's rules. Snell M2000 is current SCCA minimum, which dictates a certain level of padding, and resistance to multiple impacts.

I do know where your coming from though, car hopping while instructing or fitting into a miata generally sucks for me (long toroso), but generally you just have to move the seat around to get the needed clearance.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

HachiGo posted:

My head would hit the ceiling in my 240sx with a helmet, and would get very close to hitting the ceiling without a helmet. If you're really serious, the answer is to get an aftermarket seat and brackets, or just a set of custom seat brackets to lower the height of the seat.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Attended my first AutoX recently. I usually do track events, and it is noticeably cheaper to autocross, but I had more power than I knew what to do with on the course. Each one will be different, but on this particular one, with it's combination of turns and asphalt condition left me struggling with traction, as it kept me in second gear the entire time...
I left thinking one thing though- I'd really like to shift more than the initial first to second while driving hard.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 19, 2011

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some of the rules to get pushed into SM are a little stupid; camber plates are apparently allowed in STX but an anti-lift kit/control arm relocation kit will get you in SM. I've got a pair of bolts that slot into factory holes on the car as well that also shove me into SM. If I were more into competition than just getting more seat time, I'd probably have to remove these.
As a fellow suby guy, i know what you mean. But, having two friends on the rules board and many post event drunken arguments with them have made me understand alot more where the SCCA has to come from with rules.

just imagine how ridiculous you could get with unlimited funds, access to a machine shop and a team of engineers at your disposal with a rule set that allowed you to relocate a suspension mounting point. it can get insane. a trip to nats shows you that these people exist, and will exploit any rule to the limit of interpretation to get that little bit of edge on the next guy.

now, even the SCCA says in the rule book that the rules are for national events and that local regions are not only allowed, but encouraged to create more classes and loosen classing in the name of participation and enjoyment.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's also pretty neat to get home, wait a few days and then find out what goofy face you were making while racing. I found out that I get my pinky out when taking a particularly aggressive corner.
This is the other reason, I have a full face helmet with a dark shield.

Sorry if I'm thread whoring, our overnight guy quit suddenly last week, and i got tagged to take his shift this week... so bored.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Way2slow posted:

Attended my first AutoX recently. I usually do track events, and it is noticeably cheaper to autocross, but I had more power than I knew what to do with on the course. Each one will be different, but on this particular one, with it's combination of turns and asphalt condition left me struggling with traction, as it kept me in second gear the entire time...
I left thinking one thing though- I'd really like to shift more than the initial first to second while driving hard.

the only shift being the 1-2 is pretty common in autocross. even most of the big nationals events will be a single shift, as the common goal in autocross course design will be to make the course fast and flowing enough not to necessitate a downshift but slow enough to keep you in second. hitting 3rd in something with doors that work is a very very rare occurrence.

most stock cars, top of second being 60-69mph is pretty much the range considered safe at most autocross venues or just space constrained.

as for traction... that's just part of the challenge.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Way2slow posted:

It really depends on the car you drive. Most cars do a 1-2 shift and that's it.

S2000's are a drat row boat. 90% of my conversation with other S2000 drivers at any given event have to do with when and where to shift. We have about as much torque as a sewing machine, and if we drop out of VTEC we're pretty much as fast as a civic so we gotta work hard to keep it above that 6000rpm sweet spot.

whiskas fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2011

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

whiskas posted:

It really depends on the car you drive. Most cars do a 1-2 shift and that's it.

S2000's are a drat row boat. 90% of my conversation with other S2000 drivers at any given event have to do with when and where to shift. We have about as much torque as a sewing machine, and if we drop out of VTEC we're pretty much as fast as a civic so we gotta work hard to keep it above that 6000rpm sweet spot.

I can understand that, but this little turbo 4 has a lot of torque from 2K->5K, so I'm not needing to shift for power band reasons, I meant with regards to speed- I'd like to be able to go fast enough to get into 3rd gear a couple times. However, based on how autocrosses seem to pan out, that won't be happening. I think this car really either needs Hoosier A6's, or I should just stick to track days.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
I found this video from an event I did last year. I think this is one of every autocrossesrs worst fears, the guy spun and got disoriented and then came back the wrong way, notice the lack of red flags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0-sO1filMk

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Yikes. You don't see many Infinitis at driving events, but that may be a good thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

shane86 posted:

most stock cars, top of second being 60-69mph is pretty much the range considered safe at most autocross venues or just space constrained.

as for traction... that's just part of the challenge.

Main reason I'm not too interested in doing this (and I defy all the people saying that any daily driver makes a great auto-x) is that 60-69 is the top of fourth for me. That plus manual steering and brakes would make it such a chore, it would be no fun.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Raluek posted:

Main reason I'm not too interested in doing this (and I defy all the people saying that any daily driver makes a great auto-x) is that 60-69 is the top of fourth for me...

....in my car, which is a.... ?

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Raluek posted:

Main reason I'm not too interested in doing this (and I defy all the people saying that any daily driver makes a great auto-x) is that 60-69 is the top of fourth for me. That plus manual steering and brakes would make it such a chore, it would be no fun.

As was said before, with any given car its usually a 1-2 shift at the start and leave it in 2nd the whole way. Whatever your car can do in 2nd is your top speed unless you get into 3rd for a split second. You might see a Z06 on sticky tires get up to 70mph on a well designed course, but that upper limit is not for everyone.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Im interested in autocrossing my '99 miata. It's got a Hard Dog Hard Bar. Is this SCCA enough to let me on the course or do I need one of the more expensive Hard Dog bars? What's the difference between Solo I and Solo II?

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 20, 2011

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I want to autocross my 96 miata with no bar whatsoever. Will i be ok with a helmet? I honestly dont see flipping as a possible issue, the center of gravity is quite low.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
You don't need a roll bar to do SCCA autocross, all you need is a Snell certified helmet, and no fluid leaks and you're good to go.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

You don't need a roll bar to do SCCA autocross, all you need is a Snell certified helmet, and no fluid leaks and you're good to go.

Not totally true, NJ state law requires convertibles such as miatas have a rollbar that clears the top of the driver's helmet. So it can vary. Best bet is to ask someone in your local organization.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MetaJew posted:

Someone start up an Austin autox.

This, this, a thousand times this. The only autocross club I've found in Central Texas is Spokes. They run most of their events in San Antonio (I'm not driving ~160 miles round trip to autocross), they cost around $50 and you get 3-4 runs MAX.

I just want something in greater Austin that's not stupidly expensive :saddowns:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

c355n4 posted:

Not totally true, NJ state law requires convertibles such as miatas have a rollbar that clears the top of the driver's helmet. So it can vary. Best bet is to ask someone in your local organization.

Oh sorry my bad, I didn't know that it varied by state/region. That's just the way it is at the Indiana events I've been to.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

This, this, a thousand times this. The only autocross club I've found in Central Texas is Spokes. They run most of their events in San Antonio (I'm not driving ~160 miles round trip to autocross), they cost around $50 and you get 3-4 runs MAX.

I just want something in greater Austin that's not stupidly expensive :saddowns:

Right, the only other "close" AutoX is TAMSCC in College Station. Their practice events are pretty cheap and you get a lot more runs, but again you're driving a good ways, just to dodge cones.

So until the F1 track opens up and someone runs autox's in the parking lot or track days there's probably nothing "close" by. (The Driveway can eat a dick.)

This parking lot looks like you could run an event in it, but you have those pesky concrete parking blocks running down the center and dividing it into three smaller areas. And I'm not sure how open Austin ISD would be to renting it out, and all that nonsense.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sockington posted:

....in my car, which is a.... ?

F100.

superdylan posted:

As was said before, with any given car its usually a 1-2 shift at the start and leave it in 2nd the whole way. Whatever your car can do in 2nd is your top speed unless you get into 3rd for a split second. You might see a Z06 on sticky tires get up to 70mph on a well designed course, but that upper limit is not for everyone.

I start in second, so second is usually good to 10-15mph. Third is good to maybe 30. With the stiff suspension and high center of gravity I doubt I'd want to exceed 30 anyway.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

F100.

I start in second, so second is usually good to 10-15mph. Third is good to maybe 30. With the stiff suspension and high center of gravity I doubt I'd want to exceed 30 anyway.

I believe, depending on the configuration of your truck, you may not be allowed to autocross it due to SCCA restrictions on vehicles with high centers of gravity. I know that SUVs, vans, and some trucks are banned. You may want to check out the rule book and ask someone who helps run the events in your locality.

ToreA55
Aug 2, 2010

Raluek posted:

F100.

Even if you're going really slow, it's good fun. Although, I know some organization won't allow trucks or SUV's; I know around here, Knoxville, TN, SUV's were banned after UT's student SAE section brought their ChallengeX Equinox to an event.

Edit: Beaten!^^

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I guess I'll stick to not going to auto-x events then!

ToreA55
Aug 2, 2010
It wouldn't hurt to go to one to watch, and ask the organizers, unless you're vehicle is listed in the rules as not allowed by SCCA. Even then, if the local org has loose enforcement, they might let you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ToreA55 posted:

It wouldn't hurt to go to one to watch, and ask the organizers, unless you're vehicle is listed in the rules as not allowed by SCCA.

I encourage participation in motorsports, but just watching an autocross is not something I'd consider worth someone's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I used to autocross with a club in Tucson, and the car safety inspections consisted of one guy asking a few questions:

Does it go when you press to go pedal?
Does it stop when you press the stop pedal?
Do you have a helmet?
Ok, you're good to go.

• Locked thread