Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man, that BMW around the 40 second mark is one hell of a hero. I'd have been two feet in way earlier into that slide.

The local Cantonese news did some coverage of a rallycross event I went to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRJMuHzL1g

That was me in the E30. Good old Lean Machine.

If any of you are in North Florida/South Georgia/surrounding areas, Dixie Region is doing an event this weekend in Moultrie. I'll be in a white Miata with two black racing stripes. It's a concrete pad with incredible grip. dixiescca.com for details.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Having said that, the courses we've had on the west track in the past have been an absolute blast, with much higher speeds than we can get on the little skid pad, and much more of a 'national' level feel to them. Fairly sure that the last course on the west track was 60-80 seconds depending on the driver/car.

Dug up some videos of it, the old man and I both registered today. Hope the weather holds up this weekend, I suspect the MS3 will need the new rear pads and rotors installed before I go.

Edit: When does the track map get posted, usually?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 9, 2011

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit: When does the track map get posted, usually?

Normally a few days before, but sometimes, because of the divisional safety steward approval process on the track course, we don't get it back for posting at all.

I'll take a look and see what's up with it, not even sure who is designing this one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

And, course designer has responded that it's in the divisional SS process now, and should be ready for posting during the week some time.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
My car is 100% stock and I can't decide if I should go in the Street Tire Index class or the Novice class. I have only done a solo event once before. I did the tire index class then and I am fine with another person in the car. But which class should I be in? The event is this Sunday and I wanted to ask you guys My Car is FS, so FSN or FST?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Novice, get instructors to help you.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

We have to turn the track into an 'autocross', because it has to pass safety and be approved by the divisional solo safety steward. All SCCA autocrosses run on a road course have to be approved at the divisional level, rather than just by the local safety stewards, in order to keep the event within the solo rules. So there will be chicanes, slaloms, offsets, etc.

Having said that, the courses we've had on the west track in the past have been an absolute blast, with much higher speeds than we can get on the little skid pad, and much more of a 'national' level feel to them. Fairly sure that the last course on the west track was 60-80 seconds depending on the driver/car.

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking at the times for Phoenix events is that the talent pool here is pretty deep. We have multiple national champions running in numerous classes, so the 'fast' times that you see are typically set by guys who own one or more spiffy red jackets. Some of those folks are also in very fast classes to start with (DM, XP, ASP, DSP), so our 'fast times' tend to be pretty hard to touch for your average Joe autocrosser in the family car.

On the other hand, that sort of competition and knowledge is great for learning how to go faster!

Nice to see a few Arizona auto-xer's on the forum! I might just have to drive up from Tucson again to race again. The Tucson crew is certainly more relaxed while the Phoenix group definitely seems more business like.

I also just signed up for the EVO Phase 1 class in Tucson in October, i've heard nothing but good things about the class and I hope it can teach me some of the finer nuances of auto-xing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

_firehawk posted:

My car is 100% stock and I can't decide if I should go in the Street Tire Index class or the Novice class. I have only done a solo event once before. I did the tire index class then and I am fine with another person in the car. But which class should I be in? The event is this Sunday and I wanted to ask you guys My Car is FS, so FSN or FST?

Novice, until they won't let you be in novice anymore!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

The Tucson crew is certainly more relaxed while the Phoenix group definitely seems more business like.

I think a lot of that is because historically the Phoenix events have much higher attendance (with the current sites, that's shifting quite a bit), so the Phoenix crew had to become a lot more business like in order to get all the runs in.

I know that the Tucson crew looks really strict and business like when compared to the group I used to run with up in Kalispel, MT., where having 30 cars was a *big* turnout.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

The Locator posted:

Novice, until they won't let you be in novice anymore!

This is always what I tell my friends that are new or trying it out, especially if their car is modded. One of my friends won novice a few weeks ago in his turbo civic, but when he is out of novice he'll be in some ridiculous prepared class.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Here is what I will be up against in the novice class. G8 is mine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

_firehawk posted:

Here is what I will be up against in the novice class. G8 is mine.

Fairly murderers' row of novices.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
The only one I would be worried about is that miata. My friend was way faster than a C6 corvette with his 165hp 86 MR2 in novice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Eh, it's all about PAX times anyway. My dad got all worried that I put myself in Novice 3 because my cold air intake technically takes me out of DS, but the reality is DS and ST are so close in PAX it will come far more down to how well badly I do :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Eh, it's all about PAX times anyway. My dad got all worried that I put myself in Novice 3 because my cold air intake technically takes me out of DS, but the reality is DS and ST are so close in PAX it will come far more down to how well badly I do :v:

Looks like it's gonna be a warm one tomorrow. Make sure to bring your umbrellas and sunscreen!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, definitely. At least I should be able to get through sooner than later, got work group A and run group B. Looks like the course map is up too.

Should be a fun, if not painfully early, day tomorrow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm in group B also, with TO's in D.

See you there!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I lied, I ran in group A. The course was a blast, but I managed to finally kill the power steering pump at the end of the last run, so ended up not doing time only runs.

I completely forgot to find you and say hello.

Here is a video of my final run, a 65.8xx dirty (got that cone right before the finish). It was a pretty horrible run now that I'm looking at it on video, and I should really have been in the 64's, but never got there.

http://www.vimeo.com/22528655

Link is now live with HD.

I do always seem to forget to turn the camera on for the good runs, Murphy's law I guess.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 17, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I lied, I ran in group A. The course was a blast, but I managed to finally kill the power steering pump at the end of the last run, so ended up not doing time only runs.

Here is a video of my final run, a 65.8xx dirty (got that cone right before the finish). It was a pretty horrible run now that I'm looking at it on video, and I should really have been in the 64's, but never got there.

http://www.vimeo.com/22528655

If you click on the link prior to about 4pm Pacific time, Vimeo will probably not be done doing whatever it is they do to slow down the posting of video's for free accounts - try back later!

I do always seem to forget to turn the camera on for the good runs, Murphy's law I guess.

Sounds like you had a good time! I'm looking forward to the Tucson meet next week and you Phoenix guys should try to make it down sometime, Marana is a pretty fun place to run!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

No worries. If you were running in A, I was the second courseworker you would've passed after the start.

That track layout was amazing. I didn't see what my first run was since I had an instructor along with and was maybe going 6/10 at best, but I started cranking it up and went 90.xx, 85.xx, and 84.xx after that. That fourth run might've been a bit quicker if I hadn't ended up needing to re-run on my third; I got maybe 1/3 of the way around and got red-flagged for someone else, then sat in the grid with my engine idling and tires already warm, ran, and then did my fourth within another five minutes or so at most. The Ecsta LEs I have on there started getting greasy as they got hot.

I did see there was one other Mazdaspeed3 there, though I have no idea what run group or class it was in. Should be interesting to see how far off of its pace I was. I know I was leaving a lot of time out there, I wasn't getting on it hard enough to really need the brakes coming into most of the corners but I really didn't want to go shooting off into the dirt.

My old man did decently well too in his C6 - I think he was around the low 72s?

Edit - the video converted. Were you the one they kept saying was leaking on the radio? They thought it was a DSM at first. I remember watching your BMW, that thing is quick.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 17, 2011

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Sounds like you had a good time! I'm looking forward to the Tucson meet next week and you Phoenix guys should try to make it down sometime, Marana is a pretty fun place to run!

I run Marana every chance I get, but I doubt that I'll get down there this coming weekend, as after today my car is spewing power steering fluid, which is a big no-no on the airport tarmac.

I start a new job tomorrow and expect to be gone about 13 or 14 hours per day for a while, which means I won't really have a chance to dig into the car to see what's really wrong until next weekend at the earliest.

I'm sure you'll have a big turnout from Phoenix though, I know a bunch of us head down there every month (to screw up your PAX*).

*I don't screw it up of course, but Fred, Doug, and BP do a fair job of it from time to time.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit - the video converted. Were you the one they kept saying was leaking on the radio? They thought it was a DSM at first. I remember watching your BMW, that thing is quick.

Nobody ever mentioned a leak to me. I discovered the leak when I got back to grid after losing power steering right before I smacked that cone near the end of the run in the video. I don't think it was pouring out enough fluid to have been noticed by the course workers, as it's still got a fair amount of fluid in it right now in the garage.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 18, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I run Marana every chance I get, but I doubt that I'll get down there this coming weekend, as after today my car is spewing power steering fluid, which is a big no-no on the airport tarmac.

I start a new job tomorrow and expect to be gone about 13 or 14 hours per day for a while, which means I won't really have a chance to dig into the car to see what's really wrong until next weekend at the earliest.

I'm sure you'll have a big turnout from Phoenix though, I know a bunch of us head down there every month (to screw up your PAX*).

*I don't screw it up of course, but Fred, Doug, and BP do a fair job of it from time to time.

Tough luck with the car but I did lol at the Phoenix PAX crew comment. The track up in Phoenix looked like it was a blast though!

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Weekend autocross reports incoming! Buccaneer region here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flk6Tv0-Zzo&hd=1&t=32s

First time with the new iPhone tripod mount/rollbar mount. I forgot to focus it on the track, instead of my dash :doh:

Someone please teach me how to launch a '95 Miata.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Nobody ever mentioned a leak to me. I discovered the leak when I got back to grid after losing power steering right before I smacked that cone near the end of the run in the video. I don't think it was pouring out enough fluid to have been noticed by the course workers, as it's still got a fair amount of fluid in it right now in the garage.

No idea on the quantity of fluid lost, and I don't think anyone was complaining of it on the course itself, just some building up at the start.

You can totally see me looking useless in your video pretty early on. I only had to pick up one or two cones in that section, I know most of that action went on in the oval section.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

King-Kong posted:

Get a couple guys to push you. :laugh:

God I wish we had a viable airport site in the Phoenix area. Every time a see a giant expanse of concrete like that I die a little bit inside.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's a drat shame they're just going to turn the GM proving grounds into yet more tract housing. Could probably have all kinds of fun there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

King-Kong posted:

Hold at 3.5-4K, dump the clutch and go full throttle. Works everytime.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

King-Kong posted:

Rev to 3500, dump clutch and floor it at the same time. That should be about good for sticky street tires on average pavement.

Here is my weekend's fun. Best raw time run ruined by a cone at the end. Somehow the word optional got paired with the phrase "chicago box."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgRDgyakHyY&hd=1

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Phone posted:

Hold at 3.5-4K, dump the clutch and go full throttle. Works everytime.

I've been trying to launch closer to 2.5-3k, and I get this horrible quasi-stall/lurch before it picks up again. I'm kind of afraid of launching at anything higher, though. What's a rev like 3.5-4k going to do to my poor clutch :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nothing. I drove my car at autocross for 2 full seasons before I pulled the clutch due to a seized pilot bearing; the friction material was only slightly smaller than the new one I was putting in. The flywheel was blued a bit, but I think that's because I had somebody slipping the clutch at 6k the day before. :stare:

3.5-4K will get the rears rolling and you'll stop spinning them in plenty time for your shift into 2nd.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
You'll be fine as long as you dump the clutch, don't ride it. Riding it is what is really bad for your clutch. In reality a 4k dump the clutch and go launch is much harder on your diff and trans than your clutch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Pm0mUkU-I

Do the HDs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's a drat shame they're just going to turn the GM proving grounds into yet more tract housing. Could probably have all kinds of fun there.

Yea, the stupid GM lawyers actually forced the terms of sale on that property to include language the makes it illegal for the new ownership to use the lot for any sort of automotive driving stuff, whether for business or pleasure, so they can't let us use the facilities in the interim even if they were inclined to do so.

Lawyers ruin more potential sites for us then pretty much anything else except for zoning ordinances that make every new parking lot include a billion obstacles.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Our parking lot obstacles make things exciting!

But yeah, we are lucky in that our parking lot obstacles really are far enough apart to allow a multiple crossover course without being in danger unless you do something extremely stupid.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I can't wait till NCCAR finishes their facility.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...005504&t=h&z=18

That block of asphalt is going to be 670'x670' when finished. The current "height" (N/S dimension) is 670' currently to give you an idea of how massive it will be. There is a pickup truck on the track for a sense of scale. (All our current sites are airports so this is pretty exciting to us)

9 acres of asphalt with no lightposts, drains, dips/rises. It's going to be awesome.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 18, 2011

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Our parking lot obstacles make things exciting!

But yeah, we are lucky in that our parking lot obstacles really are far enough apart to allow a multiple crossover course without being in danger unless you do something extremely stupid.

I've driven that site when you guys held a National Tour a few years ago. That site is awesome! I dream of having a local venue like that.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

FatCow posted:

9 acres of asphalt with no lightposts, drains, dips/rises. It's going to be awesome.

Wow, that'll rival Michelin's Black Lake.

I'd like to try NCCAR once. I hear it's fun, but I hate to think what all those sweepers will do to my tires. And oil pressure.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Speaking of oil pressure, do baffled oil pans really help or are you better off just saving your pennied for a dry sump system?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Baffled pans slow the process of oil draining completely to one side of a pan, so they certainly help if your car is losing pressure due only to the oil sloshing away from the pickup in the pan.

If your car loses pressure due to oil not returning to the pan properly in a high-g situation, then a baffled pan isn't going to help.

Also, a baffled pan is only going to provide a very short-term help. If you have very long steady-state corners, you'll still move all the oil in the pan to one side, it will just take a few seconds longer to get around the baffles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah... NCCAR is literally nothing but sweepers.

• Locked thread