Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

Alright so I tried to sign up for compuserve. I got almost all the way through but apparently because of DST the billing department is closed so I can't get authorized. Much to your chagrin I *will* report back.

Here's the story so far.

lol I click continue and it lets me download anyway so

It's making the noises I never thought I'd hear again. Awesome.

Connected at 53333 bps

ok I literally cannot use my credit card because the year is not an option. Luckily you can sign up with checking.

"Nevergirls" and "Yospos" were taken.

okay so I got this far. I called the number and Eric answered. He transferred me to billing, which was closed. I called back and he was like "sorry you have to wait for them to open to verify your account."

Stay tuned for an update!

Update Mar 14, 2011 12:01
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...2#post389220842 account authorized after being on hold for 70 minutes with Netscape, Aol. and Compuserve.

Update Mar 14, 2011 18:19
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...3#post389235535 posting from dial up

Mar 16, 2011 21:24
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...6#post389331309 speed test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

also lol they should make you get a notarized letter ala RIM to verify your account!!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010

Nevergirls posted:

wow awesome so it's like aol never would have guessed

also these images are awfully small, we're not the ones on 56k you know

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

Mufreesboro posted:

wow awesome so it's like aol never would have guessed

also these images are awfully small, we're not the ones on 56k you know

I was taking the screen shots under the assumption I'd be uploading them via modem.

E1M7
Aug 25, 2005

You can hear my music, in your pulse, faster and faster thumping... you are doomed.

need to get a audio grab of that V.90 shake. haven't heard a good v.34/V.90 negotiation in so long.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

E1M7 posted:

need to get a audio grab of that V.90 shake. haven't heard a good v.34/V.90 negotiation in so long.

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

excellent

please try to run netscape 4 or 5 with it tia

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My grandmother had CompuServe until 2007 or so. I think she used it twice.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

can you use an iphone somehow to dial up over ppp without acoustic coupler bullshit

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

got dat wmd posted:

can you use an iphone somehow to dial up over ppp without acoustic coupler bullshit

doubt it since you cant really do poo poo to an iphone with it connected, it's not like an android/whatever where you can actually access services

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984

Anatole posted:

doubt it since you cant really do poo poo to an iphone with it connected, it's not like an android/whatever where you can actually access services

If it's jailbroken you may be able to. I jailbroke my iPod touch to use it as a USB wifi adapter when my internal one died. I had to use some old program to forward everything through port 80 though. Probably the nerdiest thing I've ever done.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010

got dat wmd posted:

well what you could do is make an application that connects your computer as a bluetooth headset to your iphone, and funnels all the connection audio through that.

i've actually seen a portable credit card swipper that does just that.

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984

Now I remember! I had to download one program that would allow me to have my USB port work at port 20 or something and then I had to use another program to route all port 20 traffic to port 80. Most stuff worked pretty well.

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

is that literally the newest version of compuserve because lol

OSI bean dip
Aug 5, 2004

So why'd you collect 30,000
gigaquads of data on
the subject?

Someone should get on The WELL.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

tuned to a dead channel

Did they seem surprised you were signing up? Like "whoa I forgot this phone was here, who are you?"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

An INTIMATE...relationship

dial in to compuserve using voip running off your broadband connection

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

dial in to compuserve using voip running off your broadband connection

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Hen posted:

it can be done. i've seen it.

had i not been on the clock i would have laughed in the guys face

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

you should try dialing-up to the planet URANUS!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010

echinopsis posted:

you should try dialing-up to the planet URANUS!

you're in the wrong thread the proctologist thread is that way -->

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

holy shit this os has cinepak?!?!?

dunkinbean posted:

is that literally the newest version of compuserve because lol

srsly

also lmao at it being $18/month

who pays for these things

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

amf5 posted:

srsly

also lmao at it being $18/month

who pays for these things

hOW ELSE AM I GOING TO GET PICUTRES OF MY GRANDKIDS

Q

QUTI

QUIT
EXIT COMPUTER

COMPUTER, PLEASE TURN OFF

DEAR JEREMY PLEASE COME OVER AND HELP ME I CANT FIGURE THIS OUT

JEREMEY ARE YOU THERE??????

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

it can be done. i've seen it.

had i not been on the clock i would have laughed in the guys face

really?

i heard that you can't do it over skype at least but then again i guess other voip solutions have better sound quality

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

ymgve posted:

really?

i heard that you can't do it over skype at least but then again i guess other voip solutions have better sound quality

yeah. i have no idea how well it works but this guy was paying for our voip service and dialing into aol. i advised him to switch to our broadband since it would be cheaper and a shitton faster

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

nevergirls was charged too much for smilies, must settle for cheaper 56k

unixbeard
Dec 28, 2004

+++ATH0

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Did they seem surprised you were signing up? Like "whoa I forgot this phone was here, who are you?"

no the guy acted totally normal about it which was super weird.
first month's free so

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010

Nevergirls posted:

no the guy acted totally normal about it which was super weird.
first month's free so

Did you ask him if they were getting a lot of business?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Still me @ ur poasting
HD Edition

tripwire posted:

will do, thx for the img

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

tripwire posted:

fuckin frog runnin my life

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

tripwire posted:

i think so tim!!!!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

tripwire posted:

Did this before I saw the post.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Not to sperg out, but you won't be able to get any decent modem connection to work over a VOIP provider to somebody else's modem. The lossy codecs in use will seriously gently caress up the negotiation. You could however setup a dialup system in your house with a line simulator if you really wanted that old-timey feel without having to buy a landline.

I had something similar going on for a while to get a dreamcast on the internet before the BBA was available. It dialed into my USR Courier and the poo poo was boss, son.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I am surprised to find out Compuserve is still a thing

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

luma posted:

Not to sperg out, but you won't be able to get any decent modem connection to work over a VOIP provider to somebody else's modem. The lossy codecs in use will seriously gently caress up the negotiation. You could however setup a dialup system in your house with a line simulator if you really wanted that old-timey feel without having to buy a landline.

I had something similar going on for a while to get a dreamcast on the internet before the BBA was available. It dialed into my USR Courier and the poo poo was boss, son.

14k fax works ok on our voip so you can probably connect at at least that rate vv

OSI bean dip
Aug 5, 2004

So why'd you collect 30,000
gigaquads of data on
the subject?

14k fax works ok on our voip so you can probably connect at at least that rate vv

No. You can't.

At best you can pull off 2400 bps.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL
Apr 24, 2004

Update: the department I need will open at 10am eastern. Hope to get this resolved by tomorrow so I can browse the world wide web.

First thread to visit: pyf animated gif thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

why the gently caress do you even have a modem or a land line phone in 2011? that better be (a) built into your labtop and (b) some sort of skype/vonage witchcraft

alley oop

«8 »