Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Warding off both trees and boners since 1984

Anatole posted:

doubt it since you cant really do poo poo to an iphone with it connected, it's not like an android/whatever where you can actually access services

If it's jailbroken you may be able to. I jailbroke my iPod touch to use it as a USB wifi adapter when my internal one died. I had to use some old program to forward everything through port 80 though. Probably the nerdiest thing I've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Now I remember! I had to download one program that would allow me to have my USB port work at port 20 or something and then I had to use another program to route all port 20 traffic to port 80. Most stuff worked pretty well.

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Smackbilly posted:

were you not around during the late 90s? everyone believed that you could make money by giving away free stuff as long as it was on, or somehow related to, the internet. because the internet was new and things worked differently there, duh.

Weren't they all advertisement based? Like you could browse for free but they had something that would throw interstitial ads at you?

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

they had an onscreen ad but it was p. easy to bypass if you knew what you were doing :smug:

anyway not sure how a single banner ad was supposed to pay for internet service but w/e

I guess when near 100% of your userbase sees it it kinda adds up.

Wood Warder
Mar 5, 2011

Still, online advertising was fairly new then. I'd bet that the cost of getting an ad out on these services was "cheaper than everywhere else but still a decent amount of money" compared to today's "pennies."