Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Alright so I tried to sign up for compuserve. I got almost all the way through but apparently because of DST the billing department is closed so I can't get authorized. Much to your chagrin I *will* report back.

Here's the story so far.

lol I click continue and it lets me download anyway so

It's making the noises I never thought I'd hear again. Awesome. :allears:

Connected at 53333 bps :science:

ok I literally cannot use my credit card because the year is not an option. Luckily you can sign up with checking.

"Nevergirls" and "Yospos" were taken.

okay so I got this far. I called the number and Eric answered. He transferred me to billing, which was closed. I called back and he was like "sorry you have to wait for them to open to verify your account." :(

Stay tuned for an update!

Update Mar 14, 2011 12:01
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396670&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post389220842 account authorized after being on hold for 70 minutes with Netscape, Aol. and Compuserve.

Update Mar 14, 2011 18:19
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3396670&pagenumber=3#post389235535 posting from dial up

Mar 16, 2011 21:24
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396670&pagenumber=6#post389331309 speed test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mufreesboro posted:

wow awesome so it's like aol never would have guessed

also these images are awfully small, we're not the ones on 56k you know

I was taking the screen shots under the assumption I'd be uploading them via modem.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Did they seem surprised you were signing up? Like "whoa I forgot this phone was here, who are you?"

no the guy acted totally normal about it which was super weird.
first month's free so :rms2:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

tripwire posted:

Did this before I saw the post. :smug:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Update: the department I need will open at 10am eastern. Hope to get this resolved by tomorrow so I can browse the world wide web.

First thread to visit: pyf animated gif thread :twisted:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

why the gently caress do you even have a modem or a land line phone in 2011? that better be (a) built into your labtop and (b) some sort of skype/vonage witchcraft

alley oop

Great question. Modem = built in to the D420 that I borrowed from work. Land line = I don't know why we have one, I think it's so that my father in law can leave us voice mail that will never be checked, ever.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Update:
I'm on hold now. Phone has been answered as "Aol. Support" and "Netscape Support" lmao. It's like I'm traveling back in time.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK I was on hold with Compuserve, Aol. and Netscape, grand total of hold time approximately 70 minutes, but my account has now been authorized! The modem doesn't detect dial tone on my office phone, so I had to test with TCP/IP.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

InferiorWang posted:

if all your life's ambition is going to digg and/or those my little pony forums then it's probably an ok gig until jerks like Nevergirls come calling

When I said my user name ("yospos219") I kept thinking the guy on the other line would ask me about stairs or something

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

btw compuserve's billing department is in Russia or Ukraine or some other Slavic country. The guy had no idea what time zone EST is.

IMHO Aol. just forgot that they own compuserve and it's so cheap to keep a call center in russia that they don't even notice.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ymgve posted:

http://netscape.com - still alive!

For additional information on AOL APIs and Developer and Open Source programs please contact dandosevangelism@aol.com.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hen posted:

so what exactly IS netscape these days? Just a page with a little search box and some recycled content?

It's also an ISP

http://isp.netscape.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I am looking forward to clicking on "Chat" I want to see if there's anybody there. I mean does it just go to IRC or is it really a dedicated compuserve chat

axolotl farmer posted:

what did Christina Aguilera do? :ohdear:

I didn't click on that one but apparently America's favorite movie star is Johnny Depp.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

what[s up yospos

let's see how long it takes to upload this 192kb jpeg

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

haha that took 1 minute and 10.8 seconds

ok who has a 56kbps copy of warren g "regulate" they can DCC to me

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

guys stop asking so many questions it takes me forever to move on this thing.

I had to open chrome because jesus this browser is poo poo

current status:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK... Chat not working.

I clicked on Chat and got this page

Today's most active community, "books and writers", awesome. I clicked on that

"Chat Center" alright

Welp good job ASPailures

I posted something on their forum though http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ws-books&tid=70549

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

peckler posted:

Pretty sure they did compuserve support out of the call center I worked for, when I worked for AOL. (This was about a decade ago.)

...it was the second most soul draining job I've ever endured.

was it in russia

p sure all the people I talked to are from Russia or Ukraine or something

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mufreesboro posted:

purchase an xl black dildo

I'll try this but not now because I'm expecting a phone call so I switched back to wifi.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wozblod posted:

do they have those text-based game on there still? play one or two and make a report please. tia.

I don't think what you're talking about exists anymore

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

no results for xl black dildo sorry

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

someone responded to my question "why are you here"

this "Aol. Shopping" is like a barren wasteland, I don't know if it's because it's AOL or because of the way this horrible browser renders poo poo.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ok

windows updates time.

I'm going to go back to wifi while this downloads.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ok I did the acid test.... whomever guesses the closest to the score it got wins a gay prize.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

haahahahhaahah acid3 test literally made compuserve crash

I have the warning up but I'm not clikcing "close' because if I do I'll be disconnected from the internet

the way I feel now, is how my kids are going to feel when I talk about how amazing fios was.

this is what's going on

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

alright windows xp, dell touchpads, and dial up are all together the worst things ever invented. gently caress all of this.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mufreesboro posted:

are you giving up already? i wanted to see how this did on sputnik
It's bed time bro

I'll do more stuff tomorrow morning. I have a whole month before they start charging me.

By the way if I end up getting charges :20bux: for dial up in 2011 that will be the ultimate shame.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

even Scout turns away in disgust :3

http://www.imgur.com/pSk4t.jpg

sent from my android because comp is loading a web site.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK great news, I figured out why it's so slow right now.

lol how can I tell if it's even moving? RJ45 jack doesn't even have lights.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

My goals for tonight:

- do some other web browser compatibility tests that hopefully won't crash the whole thing

- respond to my message board "chat" (I got 3 new mails with responses, haven't read them yet)

- do a speed test

then canceling the account tomorrow.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

post goatse where

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

graph posted:

wireshark idiot

I don't have wireshark on that computer and the install is 18 megs, if you think I'm going to download that just to see some lights you got another think coming.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sneaking Mission posted:

TOS my sallad

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

every thread (on compuserve) until the line goes dead

literally do not stop, make them stop you

well it's worth a shot I guess

I'll do it tomorrow night or thursday

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

z0ratio sexhaver posted:

i won the acid test give prize pls

the prize is me

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jose Pointero posted:

sheesh, i gotta do everything for ya

ok ok I'm just saying they'd just block my account from those forums not cancel the whole CS right?

I don't even know

Posted just in case, one before bed time, more tomorrow if I'm still active

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Considering I am their only new member probably in years they should really make me mod of that community as a thank you., not ban me.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Nevergirls posted:

ok ok I'm just saying they'd just block my account from those forums not cancel the whole CS right?

I don't even know

Posted just in case, one before bed time, more tomorrow if I'm still active

Good morning.

My messages have been deleted but my account still works. I didn't get any PMs or warnings or anything. Next move??

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Screeb posted:

also what is in here (nws i guess) http://www.adult.compuserve.com/adult/default.jsp?

lol

NOTICE:

Secret Pleasures Adult Channel is no longer available, but for more content like this visit our Men's Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm at work now. Before I left the house I restarted the download of the "feature updates" because I canceled it last night. When I get home today hopefully it will be done and we can wrap this up. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion: speed testing.

I also found this article from January 2011:
http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/internet101/a/fasterdialup.htm

quote:

If you are like millions of other frustrated users, you are stuck with a phone modem “dialup” connection. Your farm or rural location has no DSL. There is no high speed cable modem in your area. You looked at satellite and infrared transmitter options, but you don’t want to spend thousands of extra dollars each year for that fancy technology.

Millions? Really? gently caress this backwards country.