Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

alansmithee posted:

Although I shouldn't hate too much, I'm sure these are the exact types of fools Gibbs was thinking he was better than that caused him to start rapping so that's cool.

I can't tell if this is shots fired at Gibbs or not.

Either way: the reason you hate the south is because you don't understand the important regional element of rap music. Willie the Kid could be the scientificly objective Worst Rapper Ever and I would still keep his tapes in rotation because of the fireworks over Lake Michigan joint. Folks from the south feel the same way about the cats down there.

e: pg7: BussdownPussyhole

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Backup Snacks posted:

Rereading my posts, I feel like I came off as an ignorant dick at points. To repent, here's one of my favorite tracks someone posted in the last thread: Celph Titled & Buckwild ft R.A. - Mad Ammo

Ah, where to begin...
I definitely did not attempt to say, "Hey! Ross and Rae rap about the same poo poo so you should like them". I thought it would be obvious from what I quoted that this was a defense regarding his content. Of course he still raps about materialism but not so often to where there's nothing else to look for in his music. I use the "youtube argument" to give people a chance to listen to something they may not have heard before. If you don't have the patience to listen then I can't even begin to get my point across because in the end that's what it's going to come down to.

On that note the only subject I derailed on was an argument with the Senate about production, in which I got schooled but rightfully so. I believe I brought up what others call conscious music and asked what the thread thought about it. Don't repent about being a dick, just make sure you're right when you do so.

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?
nevermind, I'm done playing into the hater vibe that this thread sometimes degenerates into. I get what you're saying but I just don't like Ricky boy regardless of subject matter. And the conscious rap derail did make me giggle just because the argument sounds really lame. I'm just gonna stick to discussing hip hop and stop trying to bust balls (and failing.)

Anyway, what do you guys think of GDP? This was posted in the old thread but I think the discussion was "other rappers who do heroin" and that was it. The beat's kinda weird but overall, I dig it.

Backup Snacks fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 2, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Backup Snacks posted:

Anyway, what do you guys think of GDP? This was posted in the old thread but I think the discussion was "other rappers who do heroin" and that was it. The beat's kinda weird but overall, I dig it.

I saw these guys when they opened for wu-tang about 2 years ago, great band and they really hyped up the crowd. I have to add that I haven't been that into them like I have other bands, but they definitely have something different, not odd future different, but a somewhat different style than the rest.
However, I don't think they will ever become big, alot of their songs are about heavy drug use and that doesn't seem to flow that well with the general population.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I can't tell if this is shots fired at Gibbs or not.

Either way: the reason you hate the south is because you don't understand the important regional element of rap music. Willie the Kid could be the scientificly objective Worst Rapper Ever and I would still keep his tapes in rotation because of the fireworks over Lake Michigan joint. Folks from the south feel the same way about the cats down there.

e: pg7: BussdownPussyhole

Nah Gibbs is the man. There was some interview where he was talking about working at his friend's studio (can't remember if he said it was before or after his first deal fell through) and after listening to the people who kept coming in to make tracks he thought "I'm better than all these dudes, I might as well be making my own music".

And that's not why I hate southern rap at all, I've said numerous times. Most of the time, they can't rap. Beats are average (or sometimes hot) but then when it comes to the part between the chorus, it's garbage.

Also I actually give Ross some credit because he actually seemed to get better after he started making hits. Most dudes would coast or whatever, but it actually seems he put effort into becoming a better rapper.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Backup Snacks posted:

Rereading my posts, I feel like I came off as an ignorant dick at points. To repent, here's one of my favorite tracks someone posted in the last thread: Celph Titled & Buckwild ft R.A. - Mad Ammo

I wonder if Celph is gonna have to stop saying the n-word now that he has a music video and people can see how blatantly white he is

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Haledjian posted:

I wonder if Celph is gonna have to stop saying the n-word now that he has a music video and people can see how blatantly white he is

He's Cuban, so I think he can say it as long as he doesn't rhyme it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

He's Spanish Cuban, which is pretty much white European. His beard is way lighter than it used to be though, compared to like that old Baldwin Brothers video with Majik Most. I wondering if he was dying it to look more Hispanic.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

And that's not why I hate southern rap at all, I've said numerous times. Most of the time, they can't rap. Beats are average (or sometimes hot) but then when it comes to the part between the chorus, it's garbage.

This whole thread you've come off like "your type of music sucks! You can listen to it if you want but just know that it sucks!" :smug: I'd like your posts a lot better if you just ignore the stuff you don't like. I don't like NY style rap, so I won't constantly post about that.

Does Southern rap have its moments where it's not artistically significant enough to be stored in the Library of Congress? Sure. A lot of the music I enjoy consists of a dude rapping about material possessions, or maybe killing somebody, over some sampled 70's R&B. Is this any worse than the kind of cerebral, meditative, Beat Nuts carnival tune you linked for us earlier? Nope. Maybe you'd be better off reading poetry if you're looking for some inspiration. Just pay attention to the way the words flow with the beat when you listen to southern rap, and not worry so much about the definition of each word in the verse. Take Project Pat for a great example, a literal flow virtuoso who might not be sharing physics equations or life lessons with everyone in his verses.

I'm glad there's been a bit of talk about Memphis artists, and I appreciate the links to the dudes I haven't heard of. Has anybody heard of the rap duo DJ Glock and the Sawed Off Gangsta? I've only found one album from them ever, and I think they originally did a couple of Triple Six's hits. People say in various youtube comments that DJ Glock is out of jail and S.O.G. is still in, but I still haven't found anything recently. I'm interested in hearing the rest of their story. Here's all that I know by them, and anybody familiar with the body of work of Triple Six (90s era) would recognize these hooks.

(alansmithee no click zone)
Lil Glock & S.O.G. - Blow A Niggaz rear end Off (1994)
Blow a Niggaz rear end Off
Puttin' Hoez On Da House (DJ Paul and Lord Infamous on this one, a real smooth beat)
Come & Get Ya Wig Split
North Memphis Area (I like the sample and it flows pretty well, but its one big chorus for 2:44)
Mask & Da Glock (One I initially knew as "Victim of a Driveby")

Also, DJ Mannie Fresh is pretty much the best producer to ever walk this planet, so that means that Lil Wayne's early stuff is still good. :colbert: I agree that he isn't great now.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Haledjian posted:

He's Spanish Cuban, which is pretty much white European. His beard is way lighter than it used to be though, compared to like that old Baldwin Brothers video with Majik Most. I wondering if he was dying it to look more Hispanic.

I was always wondering about this too- same thing I had with B-Real (well I don't really have a problem with it but whatever). And to back-up snacks I hope you know I was just having a little fun, just a little joking around and poo poo. It's all p.e.a.c.e.

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

dethkon posted:

I was always wondering about this too- same thing I had with B-Real (well I don't really have a problem with it but whatever). And to back-up snacks I hope you know I was just having a little fun, just a little joking around and poo poo. It's all p.e.a.c.e.

Nah, the masturbating to Common in the shower comment was funny. I'm talking more the people here and in the odd future thread that apparently have issues with me posting about hip-hop on SA of all places or they really wanna be Senate, I dunno. Whatever the case, I think the answer is smoke :420:, put on some good hip-hop from whatever locale you prefer, and not try to flex nuts or hate on someone else who enjoys the same genre of music and the something awful forums!

Or continue to be a faggots and call me out, it doesn't really matter to me. It's actually kinda flattering that people are just waiting to act like little bitches on the internet and I don't even know what I did haha

(I'm not really rolling with the punches, I'm dead on the inside. Quietly sobbing and jamming this)

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Splits posted:

You can't mention Memphis without Memphis Bleek
is this a joke? do you really think that Memphis Bleek is a representative of rappers from Tennessee?

quote:

also, caveman, be careful when calling aesop rock just aesop. There was this AWFUL white rapper in the late 90s - early 2000 who got shows and all kinds of poo poo just riding that name. Google gives me nothing but trust, he was awful, and I know he had at least an album or two out.
yeah, caveman, be careful for you might be referencing the rapper that google can't find.

slothmonster
Sep 28, 2009

Mashed keyboard to write about a woman getting murdered rather than potatoes. WTF

THUNDERDOME

casual poster posted:

I saw these guys when they opened for wu-tang about 2 years ago, great band and they really hyped up the crowd. I have to add that I haven't been that into them like I have other bands, but they definitely have something different, not odd future different, but a somewhat different style than the rest.
However, I don't think they will ever become big, alot of their songs are about heavy drug use and that doesn't seem to flow that well with the general population.

GDP isn't a band he's a person, he doesn't want to be big, he wants to tour and sleep on floors and do drugs and die young.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

cardedagain posted:

yeah, caveman, be careful for you might be referencing the rapper that google can't find.

eh, the whole "just aesop" is kinda ringing a bell but thats probably because a big hunk (no homo) of the last page was about aesop rock so aesop aesop aesop - but i like that you took a little unprovoked jab at Splits about it, thats what keeps us on our toes

i think theres one thing that alan has said that yall should really listen to more and it was "like what you like" and loving post about it if you like it because I might like it too (Senate won't like it but don't worry, he doesnt even listen to hip hop anymore). there's always gonna be someone here who will call you a human being, because you probably are a human being, but not because you like LMNO more than Raekwon or because you dont know the words to C.R.E.A.M.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
also I dont think Celph has dropped an n-bomb in quite some time.. I'm thinking back to the AOTP/Apathy albums and I dont really remember any

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

caveman thug poo poo posted:

also I dont think Celph has dropped an n-bomb in quite some time.. I'm thinking back to the AOTP/Apathy albums and I dont really remember any

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, maybe he got punched in the face

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My favorite Celph lyric has it.

The Rubix Cuban's at your door and I ain't singin' no carols,
I'm like Donkey Kong, I've got you ns dodgin' my barrels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO6BZTIUKfE

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

dethkon posted:

ayo, sorry to interupt yalls hyphy childrens music discussion- ayo god whoever posted big tone tones blogspot, in the last joint, nahmeen- it's the funniest poo poo I've ever read. God cypha divine. Word bond I can't even read the joint cause the god be laughin too hard, crying and poo poo. Here the link again, maybe one of you lil smart-dumb cats can read it to me:

http://bigghostnahmean.blogspot.com/

Finding out this isn't really him after spending about 4 hours reading it is pretty disappointing, but it's still some funny poo poo.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

My favorite Celph lyric has it.

The Rubix Cuban's at your door and I ain't singin' no carols,
I'm like Donkey Kong, I've got you ns dodgin' my barrels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO6BZTIUKfE

It's also in Diablos with Louis Logic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7IPSPpzyzs

And ain't poo poo changed Lou, we 2 of the fuckin' illest ns
the type of cats that'll randomly murder serial killers

though I always liked Celph's first couplet on that track:

Yo, who the gently caress else you know that'll run up on ya block strip
like an insane Christopher Columbus and start conquering poo poo

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

So after only hearing his radio tracks, Who Killed Hip Hop, and Slaughterhouse/Shady 2.0 joints, I'm listening to the Mood Muzik tapes for the first time. I don't know why I slept on Budden for the most part for so long, this poo poo's ill.

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Haledjian posted:

Cosigning the Ghostface book. Knowledge.

I bought the book when it came out...just like the Tao of Wu...lol

Edit: I have Memphis Bleek's album 543, a definitive classic in the history of Memphis Rap.

Chade Johnson fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 3, 2011

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Backup Snacks posted:

So after only hearing his radio tracks, Who Killed Hip Hop, and Slaughterhouse/Shady 2.0 joints, I'm listening to the Mood Muzik tapes for the first time. I don't know why I slept on Budden for the most part for so long, this poo poo's ill.
You should definitely check out Padded Room and Escape Route which I think are two albums he released digitally. The latter is very loving dark, which isn't saying much for Budden, but I think it's darker than a majority of his material.

"Blood On The Wall" is probably my favorite Budden song. The first verse he casually raps about his brother getting killed and then randomly decides to completely decapitate Prodigy in the second verse.

Also let's not forget the man who fathered Aubrey Graham was from Memphis. The M-Town connection is complete.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 3, 2011

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Backup Snacks posted:

Budden is dope. Like vanbags said, very deep/dark/emotional rapper. Didn't really dig MM4 but Padded Room/Escape Route/MM3/MM2 are still spinning for me.

Joe Budden ft. Emanny - Ayo
Didn't see this posted. I think it's a leak off of The Great Escape? Not sure, but it's sick.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

err posted:

Didn't really dig MM4
Glad I'm not the only one. I can't even pinpoint what I don't like about it, but it just lacks the replay value of the rest of the series.

I'm trying to figure out why "Ordinary Love poo poo 1 & 2" didn't make the record because they're honestly the best poo poo he's done in awhile.

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

I'll definitely have to check Padded Room and Escape Route out, I'm definitely feelin' the combination of raw emotion and "gently caress you" in a lot of the MM tracks. I only have 1-3 and I've had Pray For Me on repeat for a minute now.

Also, err, your avatar is great. That whole situation was crazy and pretty stupid but everytime I see it I hear "EY YO BUDDEN GOT DOINKED" and can't help but smirk like an idiot.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
its cool to see joey getting a little love seeing as how someone went out of their way to edit him out of the slaughterhouse record. i mean i can see why some people dont like him or whatever but i like every one of his verses on on slaughterhouse and his solo work is great for when you feel like killing yourself

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I thought he was lackluster on the 2.0 Boys track. It's like he was uninspired or something. Meanwhile Ortiz and Crooked realized they were sharing a track with Eminem and completely spazzed out.

Hope the guy's not going into a decline now that's he finally getting his second shot at the industry. But then there's a part of me that realizes he genuinely doesn't a give a poo poo about his second shot at the industry. :(

Also I've never seen something like this since the days of Crooked I taking over the Wake Up Show studios.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

vanbags posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. I can't even pinpoint what I don't like about it, but it just lacks the replay value of the rest of the series.

I'm trying to figure out why "Ordinary Love poo poo 1 & 2" didn't make the record because they're honestly the best poo poo he's done in awhile.

Exactly, I can't even really recall a track that stood out. Kinda sad, but The Great Escape is looking pretty good. I was kinda turned off by Ordinary Love poo poo's beat, but it definitely grew on me.

Backup Snacks posted:

I'll definitely have to check Padded Room and Escape Route out, I'm definitely feelin' the combination of raw emotion and "gently caress you" in a lot of the MM tracks. I only have 1-3 and I've had Pray For Me on repeat for a minute now.

Also, err, your avatar is great. That whole situation was crazy and pretty stupid but everytime I see it I hear "EY YO BUDDEN GOT DOINKED" and can't help but smirk like an idiot.

Pray For Me is dope and I always suggest it when people ask for tracks to get into hip-hop. That whole situation was awesome. That picture pretty much sums up Budden's career.

Budden is definitely a love or hate kinda rapper. So many memorable tracks but many don't like his style/voice.

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

haha holy poo poo, I've heard a lot of people go in on Prodigy but that might be the best one I've heard yet, especially the Medicaid line. I'm not sure what was up with the beginning of that Greenlantern video but the freestyle was fire.

It could be my personal life bullshit but I'm feelin' the bipolar style poo poo right now. The one upside of sleeping on a dope MC is having tons of new poo poo to listen to. I can't find anything about the Slaughterhouse edit though, sounds hosed up.

"He's allegedly a dick."

Backup Snacks fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 3, 2011

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Backup Snacks posted:

I'm not sure what was up with the beginning of that Greenlantern video but the freestyle was fire.
It was Joey being emo as usual.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

its cool to see joey getting a little love seeing as how someone went out of their way to edit him out of the slaughterhouse record. i mean i can see why some people dont like him or whatever but i like every one of his verses on on slaughterhouse and his solo work is great for when you feel like killing yourself
Dude's got bars, I'd listen to him way more if he didn't try to shout so much when he records. Like when he raps he sounds like a dying mule or some poo poo, if he rapped more in his normal speaking voice like he did in that BET cypher he'd be way more listenable I think

Also if he got some good beats, but that's a whole other thing

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fudge for Hands posted:

This whole thread you've come off like "your type of music sucks! You can listen to it if you want but just know that it sucks!" :smug: I'd like your posts a lot better if you just ignore the stuff you don't like. I don't like NY style rap, so I won't constantly post about that.

Does Southern rap have its moments where it's not artistically significant enough to be stored in the Library of Congress? Sure. A lot of the music I enjoy consists of a dude rapping about material possessions, or maybe killing somebody, over some sampled 70's R&B. Is this any worse than the kind of cerebral, meditative, Beat Nuts carnival tune you linked for us earlier? Nope. Maybe you'd be better off reading poetry if you're looking for some inspiration. Just pay attention to the way the words flow with the beat when you listen to southern rap, and not worry so much about the definition of each word in the verse. Take Project Pat for a great example, a literal flow virtuoso who might not be sharing physics equations or life lessons with everyone in his verses.
[/quote]

This whole thread I've had a parade of clowns who've replied directly to me after one throwaway remark I made. Also I don't particularly care if you like my posts, you're more than free to ignore any or all of them. Being this is the rap thread, I will discuss rap (good or bad). And you're obviously retarded if you think all I'm worried about is physics equations or whatever since in the last page or two I was talking about how much I liked hyphy and about gansta rap and Fat Trel and poo poo.

All you south dickriders can keep deluding yourselves about the quality of the vast majority of the poo poo you listen too, but if you address me about it I'm going to respond. You can think up all the ways to justify it that you want, but the fact remains the dudes by and large can't rap. It's not about the subject matter, it's about the quality. Simple as that.

And I don't think Celph has said nigga in awhile, but he def did on some earlier poo poo. I think all the Demogodz are actually really nice, but it's hard for me to listen to much of Celph consecutively because he's a pure punchline rapper and when he's not hitting with them his poo poo just sounds corny. Don't know if there was anyone around who listened to Celph or Apathy's more recent poo poo and didn't hear any of the old, but I'd def check out "The Gods Must Be Crazy" EP if you enjoyed either of them.

edit-just saw they later released a "The Gods Must Be Crazier" album that had all that stuff and more, so get that instead. Also here's a youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FALYAzbp3wQ

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 3, 2011

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

just ignore alan. he is down with flocka but not three 6..... tells u all u need to know

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

farmtrill posted:

just ignore alan. he is down with flocka but not three 6..... tells u all u need to know

ehhh I don't think Flocka and Triple 6 are really all that similar. Like you'd think gently caress The Club Up would sound a lot more like Tear Da Club Up than it does (PT Cruiser definitely the right choice for a guest there). What Flocka does is a lot more in line with what Lil Jon was doing a few years ago with records like Throw It Up, which is why he's on part 2 :) Of course that particular brand of Atlanta crunk does owe a lot to Paul and Juicy obviously. And as for who I'd rather hear over Lex Luger beats? Flocka, no question.

So we were talking about Pulled Over By The Cops, the Bun B/Freddie Gibbs/Chip tha Ripper/Cool Kids supergroup, in the last thread, here's an interview from after the Return of 4eva tour show in Houston where Gangsta Gibbs and Bun talk about it some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5oeP0fL8lY

A few thoughts: Gibbs is high as hell here, Krit seems like a pretty down to earth guy, is Bun wearing a Members Only jacket?, that's a much better approach to a supergroup than Slaughterhouse (seriously all their songs are long as gently caress and also Budden is boring so I understand why someone would edit him out :twisted:), Gibbs has that Pimp C style swagger that Bun should be able to play off of in their tracks together "I'm in EIGHT groups!" haha

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 3, 2011

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

alansmithee posted:

And I don't think Celph has said nigga in awhile, but he def did on some earlier poo poo. I think all the Demogodz are actually really nice, but it's hard for me to listen to much of Celph consecutively because he's a pure punchline rapper and when he's not hitting with them his poo poo just sounds corny. Don't know if there was anyone around who listened to Celph or Apathy's more recent poo poo and didn't hear any of the old, but I'd def check out "The Gods Must Be Crazy" EP if you enjoyed either of them.

edit-just saw they later released a "The Gods Must Be Crazier" album that had all that stuff and more, so get that instead. Also here's a youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FALYAzbp3wQ

I'm not super into hip-hop, but I think I'd really like more "punchline rappers". I really dig early Eminem and the aforementioned Celph-Titled, are there other people I should be checking out who basically just compile sick couplets? I've never heard of a punchline rapper before.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm not super into hip-hop, but I think I'd really like more "punchline rappers". I really dig early Eminem and the aforementioned Celph-Titled, are there other people I should be checking out who basically just compile sick couplets? I've never heard of a punchline rapper before.

My favorite punchline rapper is Copywrite. He was really big underground for a while, I haven't really kept up with him but he used to roll with Cage and Ill Bill. He's really loving fun to listen to if you can accept that every rap is basically a battle rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiReNHE4aM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPzj2OoY894&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuYOnhdqyAs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRzuLxJU6MM

Just go get The High Exalted, and if you dig what he's doing there get the weathermen, which is Cage, Copywrite, and Camu Tao who is amazing all on his own.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

A Strange Aeon posted:

Lord Finesse and Big L were probably the two best punchline rappers of all time, and they constantly collaborated too!

L: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunUxV4sgyU

Finesse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHIgrMdtoSg&feature=related

Both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aV_vFMCs2E&feature=related

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
Big L owns one of my favorite lines in hip hop.

"You might be kinda big, but they make coffins your size too"

Loaf30
Oct 22, 2002
College Slice
This thread is filled with lots of good (and new) stuff, thanks! I rarely listen to new rap unless it's on the radio, and that gets pretty depressing, so thanks for some new (to me) stuff to listen to!

I'm probably a lot older than most of you (saw Public Enemy in concert when I was in HS). I listen to a lot of the old Jamaican acts who helped create modern rap, like U-Roy and Big Youth. It's obviously dated stuff, but I can appreciate what they were trying to do at the time. In the 80s rap was so new and fresh and relied on commercial success to get the word out and to enable a lot of people to appreciate it. In the 90s rap started to branch out into different directions with sometimes hilarious results, like Shaq and Fu-Schnickens.

Here's a track I loved in the 90s:
Paperboy's Ditty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhEIcv7tI4

Recently I've been loving the stuff coming out of the Netherlands. A lot of it is derivative of rap/hip-hop in the US, and I like it better than the most of the stuff coming out of the UK (like Dizzee Rascal who I cannot stand). I can't understand much of what they are saying, but I like their take on rap/hip-hop.

Zwart Licht - Blazin': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtLnufqPGWw
The Opposites - Broodje Bakpao: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn-noqGTwuo
Dio - Aye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmVDr93UJQQ

Full disclosure; I love Die Antwoord and their whole gimmick. Evil Boy is just fantastic!

Edited for more discussion.

Loaf30 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

new Lonely Island track. dope beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N24fVEJyQKM&feature=player_embedded

• Locked thread