Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bluetooth human being posted:

Whelp, am I glad I asked.

Thank you Mosaic Perception and Threatis. I'm gonna have to check work to see if we have any of those cds, and then onto iTunes I guess.

Those were exactly what I was looking for. I kind of wish I could go back in time, smack my younger self in the face, and just yell "Listen to this music you idiot! There's more then grunge and death metal!"

But thanks again. I appreciate it.

Some Busta Rhymes stuff also had that staccato flow, and I think he's better at it than Twista even though he doesn't always rap like that. I seem to remember Busdriver using it sometimes too, but a lot of people are definitely hit-or-miss about him. There's a lot of dudes who'll bust out similar style on random tracks, but not many I can think of stick to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQzBVcHwHI

Skip to 1:08 for the Busta verse so you don't have Chris Brown turn you off rap. Stick around for Wayne trying his hand at copying Busta's flow if you'd like.

Do or Die might be something similar you'd enjoy as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8odeEpeWM

Also Crucial Conflict:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xArkAYPkkp8

Both of those groups are from Chicago, I think (same for Twista iirc) so it might be a regional thing (Bone's from Cleveland which isn't too far but I don't remember much of that style hitting Detroit).

And yeah, E.1999 Eternal is prob one of my fav rap albums. Listened to it again a couple years ago for the first time in awhile, and had forgotten how good it was. Really atmospheric.

Bang3r posted:

My friends been listening to alot of Die Antwoord recently and I've given them a bit of a listen to.. I was wondering what everyones opinion is of these guys? (if you've heard of them) im not huge on hiphop and I've done a bit of reading up on them and im not sure if it's a giant gimmick etc

I think they're garbage, but I know some people like them (The Senate is one, but I'm not sure if he actually liked their music or just the girl). I don't see it as much different from the Captain Dan pirate poo poo and crap like that tbh, but w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also just saw this vid by Thirstin Howl III, nice track (and nice to see him still around, although it looks like he's not rocking the Polo anymore). Like I always say when he's brought up I remember thinking this dude was gonna blow up like Pun did, think he was getting almost Eminem levels of hype (they were starting around the same time iirc) but don't know if he never caught a label deal or what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_4udVVRfk

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

John Brown posted:

Check out Big Krit, Yelawolf, Currensy, Freddie Gibbs and Jay Electronica. There is no shortage of new talented rap from the south. Here are some of my favorites:

Uhh Freddie Gibbs is from Gary, that's hardly the south.

Leathal posted:

Also, new Cunninlynguists is incredible. Kno is definitely top 5 producers post-2000, and the group as a whole pulled off the whole "dreams" concept very well.

I don't know if I'd put him in top 5, but I usually like his production. My biggest problem is the rapping, it never seems to fit right with the beats. I know when I got A Piece of Strange it seemed on every track I would've preferred an instrumental. Same for the one you linked above, dudes voices and flow just don't seem to go with the production style.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 28, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Jock Mocken posted:

don't do this please!

After a first listen to this it's a really strong release. Nothing jumped out at me the way Country poo poo did off of Krit Wuz Here, but every track stood out distinctly; this will be in the rotation for a minute. While I was listening I thought of something I read on CB a while ago where Noz was saying that a lot of neo-country-rap makers are kind of missing the point and just aping the form of the classic UGK, etc. records while failing to develop their own distinctive personality on wax. KRIT really seems to be coming into his own here and though he still reminds me of nobody more than Pimp C, he really just sounds like himself. The album's main subjects seem to be poverty and positivity*, as exemplified by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqYgfX6dfxc

*I caught a "the world's hosed up but we gotta do the best we can" vibe from the LP as a whole

I think Noz's point was more that the style wasn't marketable-the segment of people who want "intellectual" or "conscious" rap doesn't have much overlap with the people who generally go for the kinda-throwback southern style (think he was originally talking about Stalley's release). The other stuff he brought up in his freshman preview thing about Krit.

But I'm feeling the album on first listen, although not sure I like the production as much as his first. The singles (or I'm assuming the songs he put out with clean versions are singles) are actually the standout tracks for me so far.

Also, E-40 released a couple albums last week, and on first listen they're def something I'd recommend. The production pulls in some hyphy elements, but has a bunch of other stuff going on. And most people have heard 40 rhyme so you know if you're gonna like it or not already (just in case you haven't, here's a song from the album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXgLw8O-Ng

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bulging Nipples posted:

I get the feeling this is gonna be decisive in this thread but A.Dd+ dropped a free album today. They're out of Dallas; I've been following these guys for a bit, and they've grown on me. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it's a really weird album. I get the feeling Andre 3000 is a huge influence of theirs, though they're no where near his level. Production is nice.

I found it started kinda slow but standout tracks for me are Southbound, Greedy, Mary Go, Likeamug, Goodwill

http://addplus.bandcamp.com/album/when-pigs-fly

With the way you started talking about them and that name I was worried it was gonna be some nerdcore bullshit and I was gonna have to start a whole shitfest (fortunately it's not). Listened to the preview track and it sounds pretty nice so I'll def check the whole thing (although if it turns into nerdcore the aforementioned shitfest is going down)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Gaupo Guacho posted:

I know instinctively tht listening to Das Racist/Immortal Technique/Wu-Tang makes you a dork and I'm no that guy but if you ignore all the misogyny and pointless consumpton in top 40 rap aren't you giving it a free pass out of some need for authenticity or looking at it through a sort of blackface lense? This is from someone who consumes rap not "sage francis raps about real poo poo man!" bullshit

Can we get this added to the OP as an example of what not to post or think?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

caveman thug poo poo posted:

also sage francis does rap about real poo poo sometimes its just that hes not very good at it and its usually boring and way too "free form" for at least me and mostly everyone else

Sage Francis is actually a very good MC and is someone who I think the way a lot of his fanbase reacts to him really colors how other people view him. I didn't listen to his last album really (still mean to), but I liked everything before that.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I don't know where you guys are getting boring, unless you're just totally turned off by a lot of his subject matter. I can't think of much rap I'd actually consider boring actually (Common and the Roots last few albums, a bunch of the throwback 90's poo poo, almost anything from the early/mid 80's). There's a lot I'd consider bad, but hardly anything boring. As for soulless, I don't see how anyone who actually did listen to Sage could justify that claim whatsoever.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

juicy_J posted:

I'm not questioning his skills on the mic or whatever but white dude angst poetry is the worst type of rap. same thing with saul williams and the streets, its hip hop for people who don't listen to hip hop

Actually the worst kind of rap is 90% of the poo poo that gets shoveled out from the south. Again I hate white people as much or more than you do but calling his music white dude angst poetry (and then lumping him in with fuckins Saul Williams of all people) makes me think you haven't listened to either of them and are one of the dudes I talked before who lets the internet dictate what they think. But whatever, for all I know his last album was junk and he fell off the same cliff that Cage did.

dethkon posted:

SAGSKTA. Content: Returnof4Eva is great, but I don't think I'll play it as much as KRIT wuz here. He's still doing all his own production?

Yeah he handles his own production, mixing, everything. There's actually a p cool interview with him and he goes into some of his production techniques. Also apparently "Something" off his last album was recorded in a bathroom (which maybe he should do that more often since I thought that was the best track off his last album).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93zbaLjsLh0

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Chade Johnson posted:

You say the same stupid poo poo about the South all the time, and every time you get proven wrong. Why keep doing it if you just look stupid every time?

Where have I been proven wrong? 90% of southern rap is objectively bad, and if you disagree you're wrong. If you listen to garbage music that's fine, but don't try to project on me.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

cardedagain posted:

Am I the only person that is totally underwhelmed by Slaughterhouse?

I think my favorite Royce raps are "Boom" and "Bad Meets Evil". I haven't heard anything from him that I thought was amazing in drat near a decade.

Yeah, I've always thought that too. They don't seem to mesh well as a group at all. I always wondered why such a big deal was made when a bunch of artists who nobody really cared about solo got together. I still think they're just a modern (arguably worse) rehash of the Four Horsemen.

juicy_J posted:

what type of southern rap do you consider to be good?

There's only a handful of southern dudes I'd consider good rappers, or even average: Outkast, Luda, Scarface, Jay Electronica, Wayne, T.I., Goodie Mob, Krit...that's about all I can think of. When Krit's first album came out it took me a few months to bother listening to it cause I heard he was from the south (and I was quite surprised).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

(Royce stuff)

Nevermind those mixtapes he put out that were fire.

I think he's only had one BAD album, and I think his solo a couple years ago (Street Hop iirc) was way better than the Slaughterhouse project.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

You made someone so mad they spent money on you.

Nah, this one came from respect for my posting contributions...I think.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

juicy_J posted:

don't forget currensy

well here imma put you on to some down south artists that most sleep on:
http://youtu.be/KEJunbvg-1I
http://youtu.be/gh4kr1G7pys
http://youtu.be/dAtaUX2db2s
http://youtu.be/jt4xDMjIJew
http://youtu.be/_KfGCCC2ntE
http://youtu.be/alqxe9brQzg

if you can't gently caress with any of those records then you're a herb

Couple of those I've heard before (Mac and 8ball & MJG, think my friend even had that album), wasn't impressed then and still remain unimpressed. 3 of the others were pretty much junk. Apparently having the actual ability to rap is optional for most southern poo poo.

But I was really really digging that Mass Influence track. IMO deserves the highest praise southern rappers can get: it doesn't even sound like southern rap! I'll def check for more of that.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

I'm not as well versed in the ways of the Bay but here's a few I like:

You could try Keak Da Sneak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_tCIY3uFE

or D-Lo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoZWRyvqcM

or even Haji Springer (yeah i like this poo poo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMPRuyncdUk

I'd add recs for Mistah FAB and Cousin Fik.

cardedagain posted:

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/03/killer-mike-to-give-live-interview-on-xxl/
Killer Mike and El-P spend 40 minutes talking about themselves and the joint album they're working on.
:suspense:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Sokrateez posted:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I've been listening to primarily east coast hip hop (political/"socially concious" amongst it, like Quest) but I just the other day found a few tracks I like from 2Pac and I'd like to start exploring west coast/gangsta rap and was wondering where to go from 2Pac.

Pretty much all the Death Row poo poo around that time-Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Pound, etc. "Murder Was the Case" soundtrack. It's been talked about recently and isn't really west coast, but E.1999 Eternal was a really good album (and Easy-E gave Bone their big break so there's a link). DJ Quik also has a lot of great west coast gangsta poo poo. I'm assuming you know about NWA. Really that's a bunch of music to start with, and if you need more I'm sure some other dudes could get more in-depth.

juicy_J posted:

hip hop isn't always about being lyrical all the time. group home and ODB weren't lyrical but they made classic music. I sense that you're a hip hop herb that takes this poo poo way too seriously
TBH if you're gonna speak about what hip-hop is, it would add more weight if your screen name was KRS-1 rather than some southern clown. Also I don't know how you could pick Group Home and ODB as not being lyrical, that's just retarded. I agree that you don't have to be lyrical all the time, but it is good if you have at least some basic ability to rap. Most southern dudes don't even have that basic ability, sorry. On top of that, the production is hit-or-miss.

It's ok if you like bad music, people (probably) won't think less of you. I sense you're insecure about your bad taste and lash out childishly whenever people call you on it.

Cizzo posted:

hyphy stuff
Yeah, Mac Dre died awhile back. He's also I think largely credited with starting the hyphy movement. There's a lot of poo poo about how some station in the bay area pretty much killed the movement that's pretty interesting to read. But I've been trying to get more into a lot of that poo poo myself recently because the production style is wild.

Chade Johnson posted:

Three 6 Mafia has influenced a lot of rap on the radio today IMO. Even if they weren't the best lyricists (except for Lord Infamous) they still put out dope albums. Same with B.G., Young Buck, Pastor Troy, many more. Just because it doesn't sound like your favorite rapper doesn't mean it's "90% objectively bad."
I 100% agree Thre 6 influenced a lot of radio stuff. That's also why a lot of radio stuff is junk now. And I'll stick by my claim that 90% of the southern poo poo sucks. Dudes who can't rap over pedestrian beats. It sounds ok in a club, but you can literally play anything in a club and as long as there's alcohol and girls it'll be cool.

Jock Mocken posted:

it's not all hyphy stuff (I Got 5 On It is number 1), but check out this Complex list of the 50 best Bay Area songs. fwiw I agree that Super Hyphy is totally the best hyphy song:

That's a cool list, but yeah it's pretty heavy on the non-hyphy stuff imo. Although I do think it really shows how a small area can have a varied, quality rap culture (NY TAKE NOTES, IT'S NOT THE 90's ANYMORE).

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

juicy_J posted:

you're a super regressive hip hop fan dude. hip hop was partially born in parties and clubs and a lot of down south poo poo is a modern extension of that.

I like KRS 1 alot too but you're crazy if you think he's done anything relevant with his last few albums. he was the poo poo back in the c delores tucker days but he's just boring now. the only people who buy his albums today are 40 year olds and europeans

also, you don't know what you're talking about if you think group home and ODB are lyrical. premier even admitted that dap and mal couldn't rhyme well, and ODB's draw was his personality not his mic skills

Wouldn't making music now that isn't any different or better than poo poo made 30 years ago be considered regressive? The problem with south poo poo isn't that it can be played at parties, the problem is that outside of parties it's mostly unlistenable. ANY music with a halfway danceable beat is party music. The problem with the south (as I've repeatedly pointed out) is that the actual MC (the guy supposedly rapping) rarely, if ever, can do that. So you have songs that would be better as instrumentals (maybe get some R&B dude to sing a hook). I mean compare it to hyphy which is definitely party music-the vast majority of those dudes actually add something being on the track. The vast majority of southern dudes take poo poo away from being on a track. And that's why it's bad music.

The KRS-1 thing was because he's also someone else who likes to spout about what hip-hop is. I haven't heard anything he's done I liked in the last 20 years.

I don't think Group Home was that bad lyrically (if they grew up in the south they'd sound like Rakim or something comparatively) but ODB's first album def was lyrically nice. Second wasn't at the same level as far as rhymes go but the first was on point for sure.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bulging Nipples posted:

I get the feeling this is gonna be decisive in this thread but A.Dd+ dropped a free album today. They're out of Dallas; I've been following these guys for a bit, and they've grown on me. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it's a really weird album. I get the feeling Andre 3000 is a huge influence of theirs, though they're no where near his level. Production is nice.

I found it started kinda slow but standout tracks for me are Southbound, Greedy, Mary Go, Likeamug, Goodwill

http://addplus.bandcamp.com/album/when-pigs-fly

Going back to this, finally took the time to listen and it's real nice, liking this a lot. The ones you mentioned are nice, also really dug Erica & Jamie and Smell My Cologne. I see some of the Andre 3000 influence (a couple tracks would've fit in on Love Below imo) but it's not too heavy and they still do their own thing. You know who does the production cause it's really very varied?

Jock Mocken posted:

Yeah, though he did originally mention 40, who's not really a hyphy rapper though he did make a couple songs.
Yeah, that's true. And actually, most of the big hyphy dudes were doing other poo poo before, mostly gansta rap (FAB was kinda a backpack-ish dude, and you can hear that on his last mixtape, which is definitely...interesting).

I don't understand, are you trying to disprove me or agreeing with me? That's a great example of ridiculous Lex Luger beats being wasted on some clown. Seriously the song's better with the track and the drops, perfect example of what I was talking about. It's rare when someone's so bad at something (in this case, rap) that you can honestly say they'd be doing less harm to society going back to selling on corners (if he was actually doing that).

Although I shouldn't hate too much, I'm sure these are the exact types of fools Gibbs was thinking he was better than that caused him to start rapping so that's cool.

And since we're doing the whole youtube thing, I got one just for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTEvs2gkP6U

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 1, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The Lucas posted:

New Fat Trel tape dropped today.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4LJTWZJ2
Since no info was provided, Fat Trel is I guess some dude out of the Anticon stable. Think he's from Seattle or something. Probably who they got to replace Sole lol. But yeah, this has some spaced-out production, think Boards of Canada with a bit more drums. Rapping's ok if you go for the whole superscientifical abstract wizard type poo poo

or he's actually a dude from DC area who's rhyming over Luger beats, among others. Haven't gave the tape a full listen yet, was gonna post about it after I did but seems solid, little different twist on gangsta rap. not really feeling the name of his crew though (slutty boys???)

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

What? Juicy J is "some southern clown"? Do you like "Sippin On Some Syrup" or "Rainbow Colors"? If not it is probably because you have bad taste, not because he is a clown.

At times I like listening to the parts of the song that actually happen between the hooks, and that's the part Juicy J is really bad at. You know, that whole "rap" thing. Sorry you mad because you listen to junk (also wasn't this over with awhile ago?)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

onefish posted:

Okay, so here's my question: do you (serious hip-hop heads) genuinely dislike Aesop Rock and/or think he's a bad rapper, or is the issue just exasperation with all the indie kids who are like "Aesop is the best rapper ever, this is what hip-hop should be."

(Yeah, I'm a white dude from indie kid roots, and I liked Aesop years before I actually liked hip-hop in general, but I've been listening to lots of hip-hop for the past couple years, and I just revisited Aesop and still think his stuff is pretty drat good.)

I like Aes, and some people in here might as well, but not sure. I think there's a lot of internet wanna-be thug poo poo mixed in with cornballs jockeying for e-cred but there's a lot of issues I could see someone having with him. He's def not for everybody, his rhyming is...obscure at best and a lot of times his production he raps over strays away from more traditional boom-bap poo poo. Aes and a bunch of dudes who are lumped in with him a lot of the time have an aesthetic that might not appeal to a lot of people, and it's not all necessarily from backlash or whatever.

The other thing I almost always say is like what you like. You can choose to defend it or not, but I'd say 99.97% of people like something that could def be considered suspect by someone so it's not unusual.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I can't tell if this is shots fired at Gibbs or not.

Either way: the reason you hate the south is because you don't understand the important regional element of rap music. Willie the Kid could be the scientificly objective Worst Rapper Ever and I would still keep his tapes in rotation because of the fireworks over Lake Michigan joint. Folks from the south feel the same way about the cats down there.

e: pg7: BussdownPussyhole

Nah Gibbs is the man. There was some interview where he was talking about working at his friend's studio (can't remember if he said it was before or after his first deal fell through) and after listening to the people who kept coming in to make tracks he thought "I'm better than all these dudes, I might as well be making my own music".

And that's not why I hate southern rap at all, I've said numerous times. Most of the time, they can't rap. Beats are average (or sometimes hot) but then when it comes to the part between the chorus, it's garbage.

Also I actually give Ross some credit because he actually seemed to get better after he started making hits. Most dudes would coast or whatever, but it actually seems he put effort into becoming a better rapper.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Fudge for Hands posted:

And that's not why I hate southern rap at all, I've said numerous times. Most of the time, they can't rap. Beats are average (or sometimes hot) but then when it comes to the part between the chorus, it's garbage.

This whole thread you've come off like "your type of music sucks! You can listen to it if you want but just know that it sucks!" :smug: I'd like your posts a lot better if you just ignore the stuff you don't like. I don't like NY style rap, so I won't constantly post about that.

Does Southern rap have its moments where it's not artistically significant enough to be stored in the Library of Congress? Sure. A lot of the music I enjoy consists of a dude rapping about material possessions, or maybe killing somebody, over some sampled 70's R&B. Is this any worse than the kind of cerebral, meditative, Beat Nuts carnival tune you linked for us earlier? Nope. Maybe you'd be better off reading poetry if you're looking for some inspiration. Just pay attention to the way the words flow with the beat when you listen to southern rap, and not worry so much about the definition of each word in the verse. Take Project Pat for a great example, a literal flow virtuoso who might not be sharing physics equations or life lessons with everyone in his verses.
[/quote]

This whole thread I've had a parade of clowns who've replied directly to me after one throwaway remark I made. Also I don't particularly care if you like my posts, you're more than free to ignore any or all of them. Being this is the rap thread, I will discuss rap (good or bad). And you're obviously retarded if you think all I'm worried about is physics equations or whatever since in the last page or two I was talking about how much I liked hyphy and about gansta rap and Fat Trel and poo poo.

All you south dickriders can keep deluding yourselves about the quality of the vast majority of the poo poo you listen too, but if you address me about it I'm going to respond. You can think up all the ways to justify it that you want, but the fact remains the dudes by and large can't rap. It's not about the subject matter, it's about the quality. Simple as that.

And I don't think Celph has said nigga in awhile, but he def did on some earlier poo poo. I think all the Demogodz are actually really nice, but it's hard for me to listen to much of Celph consecutively because he's a pure punchline rapper and when he's not hitting with them his poo poo just sounds corny. Don't know if there was anyone around who listened to Celph or Apathy's more recent poo poo and didn't hear any of the old, but I'd def check out "The Gods Must Be Crazy" EP if you enjoyed either of them.

edit-just saw they later released a "The Gods Must Be Crazier" album that had all that stuff and more, so get that instead. Also here's a youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FALYAzbp3wQ

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 3, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

farmtrill posted:

just ignore alan. he is down with flocka but not three 6..... tells u all u need to know
That I have good taste? Also "DAT NIGGA LEX LUGER"

Jock Mocken posted:

Gibbs et. al.
That sounds much more promising than Slaughterhouse, at least in terms of making listenable music. Although I'll give Slaughterhouse some credit since unlike a lot of these supergroups, they actually put out an album (and most likely will have another).

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm not super into hip-hop, but I think I'd really like more "punchline rappers". I really dig early Eminem and the aforementioned Celph-Titled, are there other people I should be checking out who basically just compile sick couplets? I've never heard of a punchline rapper before.
Few other artists were mentioned too, coupule others I'd add. Wordsworth is big on punchlines, although I don't think he's put anything out in awhile. Vast Aire also does that type of rapping a lot, but he's also got kinda this odd style so maybe he just lacks breath control to link more poo poo together idk. Tame One's another fav of mine. Really most of the Demigodz and Weathermen (former and present) will do that poo poo. So if you do pick up the Demigodz CD/EP just check for the solo artists (although Apathy and Louis Logic also have a lot of more straightforward rap on most of their albums[also why I think they're probably the best but w/e]). There was a Weathermen cd called "Conspiracy" iirc that should have a bunch of dudes to look out for as well.

Also not sure if it would be your thing, but most of the battle rap poo poo is pretty punchy, but since it's a battle it's more gonna be focused on snapping on dudes than making actual songs. It's not really my thing but they do have a lot of nice lines, I don't know who's big really now but some names I remember are Serius Jones, Murda Mook, and Jae Millz so they got a lot of youtubes of battles that you can check.

Splits posted:

copywrite poo poo
Talked about this in the last thread, he had some beef (over money or something, can't remember) with a bunch of the weathermen then got stomped. He came off looking real lame afterwards, and I think that killed a lot of his momentum at the time. He formed his own group O.D.O.T. and put out a mixtape around 07 or so, haven't heard anything since.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

HatchetDown posted:

Did the Del interview last night and I ended up giving him a ride to his own show which made me nerd out pretty hard. We talked about what he's doing and trying to do. He said that they're actually nowhere near done with Event II yet and he's supposed to hook up with Automator after the tour. The other thing I'm excited about is he said his label is trying to get Doom to do an album with him but it's hard to get in touch with the guy because he's slowly become a complete recluse.

That's pretty cool, any way we could check the interview out? I will say I'd actually be surprised to ever see another album with Automator though (is anyone even checking for that anymore?) Did you ask anything about his thoughts on the industry currently?

And I remember when Doom first started having people pretending to be him doing his shows there was some speculation that he had some health problems, I'm wondering if that's not the case. I can't think of anyone else who was that prolific just totally disappearing right when they started breaking through (especially since Doom never been shy about how money-focused he is/was). Or maybe now the money's just not enough to make him bother.

I would say a Doom/Del album would be...interesting. Not sure how it would work though, since neither of them has a real high-energy flow.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

powerful drum sound posted:

lol i have never heard of this album before, is it dipset affiliated?

Odd Future, actually. I guess he was (is?) actually signed to Def Jam Island, but for whatever reason couldn't get an album released. Wrote songs for some pretty big names too, iirc.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

I totally forgot about that. What happened there?

From what I've read in interviews, pretty much Doom was procrastinating and Ghost just moved on.

HatchetDown posted:

He mentioned the whole fake Doom thing and how he's pretty sure that that's all that he was doing, coming out with an album every time he wanted to make some cash and just stays with his family. Afterward Doom's excuse for having another guy do his shows was that Doom is techinically a character and Del was like "C'mon man you can't just say that poo poo after the fact"
I'll wanna check the interview, seems interesting. And I could buy that about Doom, but I can't see him having made that much. Like, it seems likely he would've milked it a bit more, especially since he did end up releasing an album after his hiatus or w/e. And I'm pretty sure he's genuinely touring now (a couple months ago heard about one of my friends friends being at the show, and it was the real Doom, and this was overseas). Just seems really weird dude let his own buzz die.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I don't think it is any super kind of subliminal thing. I think grainy photographs of white people, children, etc. just gives the desired aesthetic effect.
(could be wrong.)

as far as labels, they reject them. some people say "horrorcore" but they hate that and I do too honestly.

Horrorcore doesn't really fit, especially when you look at stuff like Mellowhype and Mike G. IMO leave the labeling for white people music, rap don't need that poo poo. There's only two labels for rap music afaik: good and southern.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

ive always liked print and ever since his song on bk-one's album ive been checking for him. the stuff that rhymesayers posts on facebook was enough to get me interested in the album so thanks for mentioning that its out, ill check it out

also heres that song for yall busters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlxPOnnNRMs

im like drat fam.. u prolly right

Don't know if you've checked for any of his other stuff, but I really enjoyed the Greenhouse Effect album he put out a few years back. I've liked him for awhile, but I gotta say his voice takes some getting used to (hated the first Soul Position EP). Also his production I've always liked a lot too, although I don't think he's done much for people outside his camp.

And thanks for the heads up about the album coming out, I knew it was supposed to have been out in March but must've got pushed back.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I'm interested in your reasoning as to how this album is "hands down" worse than Recovery and Encore.

edit: The voice thing is not a good enough reason.

Encore is still his worst album but Recovery and Relapse are pretty much garbage

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

new asher roth song is dope.

some people are saying its a mac diss. i can definitely see some subtle shots, anyways asher is a far better rapper.

Hearing that must feel like your parents are fighting :(

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Backup Snacks posted:

Here's Asher spittin' some Ether at Copywrite!

That "beef" was dumb as gently caress and Copywrite raps circles around Mac, even in his lame Asher disses.

If ya'll gonna jock white boy rappers, at least pick one who isn't horrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEm4Emu660U

edited so the southern dickrider squad doesn't start another hissy fit

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 8, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Chade Johnson posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. Chrome is black.

Misquote, thought I got the dudes jerking off over Asher Roth/Copywrite. Calm down dude, not like I spit in your food.

the Paper posted:

This is seriously so loving cool.

There's a Complex list of the 50 greatest rap samples done by Kon and Amir (might've got talked about in the last thread). It's really cool not just to see the samples but how they're used. I remember one that stuck out was "Lyrics to Go" which just has a stretched out Minnie Ripperton vocal sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip31FZx2w6s

Also was just watching a random horror movie last night and heard a song in the soundtrack that sounded familiar, and sure enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA9xrdbGIlY

It's always fun randomly finding random samples just listening to other things.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 8, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

err posted:

The new Royce is dope.

Randomly browsing Youtube I found out I slept on Lupe Fiasco, really digging what I heard. Can someone recommend me his best albums/mixtapes?

He's only got 3 albums and one mixtape to my knowledge...

His mixtape and his new album are largely junk. He's got some nice lyrics, but the production sucks on a lot of it and he doesn't sound too involved (he's been quite open about the process behind the latest album so it's not really surprising). Supposedly they're putting out a version with Shining Down and I'm beaming on it soon so I'd check for that. Also look for SLR, don't know if it was off anything but it's a ridiculous track.

As for his first two albums might as well check them if you liked what you heard on Youtube. I prefer F&L but don't know if that's a common opinion.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

HatchetDown posted:

Here's the Del Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83dSaniJNlA

Checked the interview, it was interesting. Why did you choose to lead in with a Deltron 3030 song?

Also I thought it was a bit depressing, tbh. I remember hearing about that promotion he did where you could get a song/album/verse with him (part of his album package) and like there's a lot of rappers of way less profile who charge $10k for a verse, not a whole EP. I wonder if he would've kinda catered more to a different fanbase if he would be getting a bit more support. IIRC he's from Oakland and I know the bay area usually supports their artists pretty strongly. Just seems like a lot of the Deltron crowd has moved on, and he doesn't have many "rap" dudes left. Or maybe I'm wrong, idk.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

how did i totally miss that pharoahe monch dropped a new album with all kinds of crazy features? oh thats right, yall were arguing about 3 6 mafia. you guys are terrible at your job

Every time I tried to type something about it, I kept falling asleep.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Uhh, you guys are obviously confused real hip-hop isn't Gibbs (he only raps about bitches and guns). Real hip-hop is The Roots and poo poo like that.

And idk what TDE is, but I've heard some stuff by Schoolboy Q and Ab-Soul. They decent (think Schoolboy Q recently put out an album, could be wrong though) but I think Kendrick Lamar is by far the best out of the whole Black Hippie group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgASe3CIw9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQZrMOt-1E

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

HatchetDown posted:

Because how Virus sounds appeals to more people in the fan base I'm dealing with. I completely agree, he's kind of burnt out but he keeps chugging on producing music every day or else according to him he get's "real irritated" when he doesn't and it's taken a lot of steam out of his style. He also made mention of how every time he tries to get a little experimental his fan base hates it so he has to expand his sound in small doses. I think he just needs to get hooked up with a good producer again so he can concentrate more on writing his raps.

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but he also needs to work with Aesop again. Those two would sound phenomenally better together than if he finally ends up doing the project with Doom.

Yeah, I had assumed that was why. But I think that also goes to a lot of his problem. I think he doesn't have much of a fanbase. Most the "rap dudes" still think I Wish My Brother George Was Here is his best album, but he got known off Deltron 3030. The people still checking for him would probably like him to experiment a bit (and might even get some more fans, depending on his direction). I do agree that working with someone would probably be helpful, update his sound or something. Another MC/producer would be cool I think, since I generally like his production, just needs something extra or w/e.

And I don't know about Aesop (I'd like to see what he's actually doing, only thing I can remember recently is some joke track he did) but I think the chance Del has of doing anything with Doom isn't much greater than mine. Doom had that Ghost thing that never happened which would've done decently, as well as Madvillain 2 which had a few tracks already done and would probably sell ridiculous amounts (for an indie release) and hasn't done poo poo with either.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

I dont really care about Del doing a collab with anyone accept Tame One. That track was dope as gently caress.

Track, or album? Because just in case you didn't know, they did an album together.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Lif stuff

Can't believe you missed prob my fav tracks by him which were off Enter the Colossus (or are they on sleepyheads?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BZ-DBuXTEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3r7u9uca8

Also Mo Mega is way better than you're giving it credit for. There's like 2 or 3 bad songs, but the rest is real quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMnE4ooL1o

But I've always thought he was real nice, although I know some people don't like his voice. Also I'd say he's one of the few rappers who can actually do political poo poo without sounding stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Rah! posted:

some more underground stuff outta SF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cc28Kx4a4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9B7cnzPrxc

^gently caress yeah the first part of that last video was shot at the Exploratorium (for the SF goons). I am ashamed to say i have never gotten high and gone there, but now i think i have to.

Liked the first song a lot, they have any mixtapes or whatever? And I was really feeling the beat on the second one, but not so much the rhymes.

• Locked thread