Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

alansmithee posted:

TBH if you're gonna speak about what hip-hop is, it would add more weight if your screen name was KRS-1 rather than some southern clown.

What? Juicy J is "some southern clown"? Do you like "Sippin On Some Syrup" or "Rainbow Colors"? If not it is probably because you have bad taste, not because he is a clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Don't know if anyone here "Tumbles" but I write about hip-hop (badly? I don't know I haven't had much criticism due to low amount of readership) and occasionally post videos and other material. I tend to only post what I consider "hidden gems," I'm not trying to be a 2dopeboyz or worldstarhiphop style content repository. So if anyone has a Tumblr account or just wants to read/make fun of hip-hop rants then click this link.

My taste ranges from Asher Roth to the most ignorant of ignant hood rap to even some backpacker type stuff. I'm not catering to any particular audience, just people that want to listen/discuss all kinds of rap

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Backup Snacks posted:

"Soulja Boy himself" then Asher Roth/Justin Bieber right below that..

:cmon:

there was a degree of sarcasm in the Soulja Boy being given the title of "himself." and it is notable when a multiplatinum artist features on a little-known (to my knowledge) New Orleans artist.

Justin Bieber is talented and since his collab with Kanye I am interested to see the sonic results of a collab between him and Asher if that wasn't an April Fools joke.

not sure that point in particular was deserving of a :cmon:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Jock Mocken posted:

Mouse on tha Track isn't little known you dipshit he produced all of Boosie's best jams plus like every other Trill ENT song worth listening to

e: also Baton Rouge ain't New Orleans

Hey look I'm not a dipshit if you asked the most hip-hop heads/rap listeners outside of Louisiana (probably in Louisiana too) then they probably would not know who the gently caress that was off the top. That's also why I put the disclaimer *to my knowledge.* I do appreciate you sharing that with me though but relax.

edit: Anyways I would like to keep the focus on me to a minimum. Part of the goal of writing this ish is so I can learn more about hip-hop which I honestly want to do which is more than you can say for many people.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 4, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Oh poo poo he's responsible for wipe me down? Hahah okay that poo poo is crazy. My bad.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Holy poo poo.

Your tumblr is all some sort of ironic troll right?

No. :( I know I'm no Noz but come on.

Any way, this isn't specifically hip-hop but did anyone else check this out:

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 4, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

John Brown posted:

So does anyone know why most, if not all, of Odd Future's album covers feature white people on the art?

Also: What are some of the terms being used to describe these kind of rappers?

I don't think it is any super kind of subliminal thing. I think grainy photographs of white people, children, etc. just gives the desired aesthetic effect.
(could be wrong.)

as far as labels, they reject them. some people say "horrorcore" but they hate that and I do too honestly.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

alansmithee posted:

Horrorcore doesn't really fit, especially when you look at stuff like Mellowhype and Mike G. IMO leave the labeling for white people music, rap don't need that poo poo. There's only two labels for rap music afaik: good and southern.

Yeah that is pretty much what I was trying to say. Except for that last bit. Now you're just being inflammatory but I'll just say that you are wrong.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

powerful drum sound posted:

Also when you're done with those delete all of it from your hard drive and listen to T-Shirts and Buddens.

drat... gotta agree with "powerful drum sound"

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Joe Budden is "dope with the wordplay" as they say and overall a good rapper.. but Lil B's diss just shows how the strength of not taking yourself so seriously can really gently caress people up.

edit: as a small sidenote I remember when Relapse came out and I believe the consensus here was it was not very good. I remember I said that I think it is a classic. I just wanna say I stand by that opinion in terms of modern albums.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 6, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Sarx posted:

While I defend the subjectivity of art, this is an example of an opinion being wrong. Relapse is not only not a classic, but it is Eminem's worst album hands down.

To label it classic, in fact, cheapens the term classic.

I'm interested in your reasoning as to how this album is "hands down" worse than Recovery and Encore.

edit: The voice thing is not a good enough reason.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 6, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Sarx posted:

Okay, hands down may be a bit strong for Recovery because I think both albums are very close to each other because I think there's one listenable song on each of them. Relapse has Underground, which is awesome because the song is in 5/4 time which almost no other hip hop song is in, and the fact that Eminem rides that beat so flawlessly is very awesome. Recovery has "On Fire" which is an absolute banger with some of the best Eminem verses since the Eminem show. However, Recovery is full of insufferable boy band hooks while Relapse has Eminem trying to reclaim his "horrorcore" style from his first album, but it just comes off as ridiculous. Which is my main problem with both of the albums, they don't sound genuine. They sound artificial and overwrought.

That's the only thing that I think puts Encore above them to me. While Encore is full of the same "dad raps" as Recovery, where we see glimpses of a mature Eminem talking about his daughter and about trying to squash beef and prevent tragedy, it at least sounds kind of believable and genuine as where Recovery and Relapse sound fake and "try-hard".

Regardless of how you order those three albums, none of them are even close to classic. Think of other classic albums: ATLiens, Illmatic, Death Certificate, The Chronic, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, Midnight Marauders, etc. I don't believe you can put Relapse amongst company like that genuinely.

You can defend the album as something you enjoy, and that you really like, or even as a personal classic perhaps, but a classic is something defined by listeners at large.

Okay I definitely see a lil more of your point now, at least you aren't one of those "OMG THE VOICE" people. I mean obviously ATLiens and those are on another level, but I feel like they are also entrenched in a different era of expectation and music.

Recovery definitely has Eminem unnecessarily stepping into that trying-to-be-catchy bullshit poppy production, which is overall a less honest place for Em to try and be but I think he basically succeeded although the product is just not dope in the face of, or in the same way as, what he used to be capable of.

Relapse I guess you could say he is trying to be too murderous but the rhyme schemes and atmosphere (something Recovery entirely lacks) make it have more replayability. Early in his career, the "crazyness" of his music did feel more natural. In Relapse it is artificial but in a creative "artistic" way. It's like stepping into a crazy carnival of serial killing and just rhymes on top of rhymes. Definitely reeks of artificiality but in a good way in my opinion.

I mean Same Song and Dance, Stay Wide Awake, Must Be The Ganja, those are all just really cool songs. I would say go back and listen but you probably are pretty cemented in your opinion.

But yeah, I'm thinking maybe they are more personal classics than anything but as far as mainstream rap at least it has a lot of hardcore rapping.

tl;dr I'm a Relapse fanboy.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks for your opinion though, that was interesting.

@Jock Mocken: Do you think its possible/likely for Em to come out with another good album?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

This ones cool because every rapper is unique. I actually wasn't tired of a 10 minute song by the end, Jay Rock got cut off?
But the girl sucked.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Leathal posted:

Edit: Another Money Makin Jam Boys mixtape would be pretty cool too

Ahh they were giving one of those out for free at this skate shop. They didn't seem to want them and said they weren't very good. gently caress that, that poo poo was jamming.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
new asher roth song is dope.

some people are saying its a mac diss. i can definitely see some subtle shots, anyways asher is a far better rapper.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

alansmithee posted:

Hearing that must feel like your parents are fighting :(

haahahah no i can't listen to mac for some reason he sounds like a grandpa to me.

edit: also this asher/cee-lo song stayed under my radar for a long time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8ooi6DnO4

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 8, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
nvm

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 8, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

phractured posted:

I am so pumped for this new Curren$y mixtape. 4/20 will be a good day for music.

Are we speaking of the alchemist one? This drops on 4/20? I concur.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
So I just got into this Mr. Lif dude, any one have a favorite joint by him? I was feelin this one. He's pretty backpackerish I suppose so maybe not revered here.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I think Rittz does rapid fire pretty swell.

So, my friend is calling me a "hipster" because I don't like Childish Gambino or J. Cole. Wouldn't that be the opposite of a hipster? Please tell me I'm not the only one that isn't on these two's nuts? Ah well.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I think this new Atmosphere/Aesop song is pretty dandy.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

SirLoin posted:

Just a friendly reminder that Curren$y dropped his new mixtape Covert Coup. Get it here:

http://jetsfool.blogspot.com/2011/04/curreny-covert-coup-mixtape-download.html

I really like this here. I feel like all of Alchemist's beat have that simple understated catchiness that just feels great to the ears and leaves plenty of room to be rapped on.

Currensy has really become a favorite of mine recently, he's so consistent and his smooth buttery voice is lends itself well to both analyzation or just chilling and vibing.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Am I the only person who has friends that think that Kid Cudi and Wiz Khalifa are the pinnacle of rap? (note: I like them both in moderation. but they hold them as the golden standard of rap.)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Yep. you're the only 18-24 year old white person posting here .

Bahahah. No but how do you deal with it. They don't let me play any other music.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My friends like Die Antwoord :sigh:

lord have mercy on thine soul.

anyone here looking forward to the beastie boys album? :lol:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Call me ignorant (i am) but there's a part of NY that listens to country? Cool.
Also completely agree with last sentence. But its annoying as balls when I'm in the middle of listening to a Mouse on the Track tape ~*~IN MY CAR~*~ and this is interrupted by "WHAT the gently caress ARE WE LISTENING TO? Put on some Kid Cudi or Wiz."

gently caress

I would like to use my limited credibility to say that the last 4 E-40 albums are amazing and everyone should listen to them.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
that new fab/wayne song is epic. you can listen to it on the lil player here if you dont feel like downloading the whole tape.

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/04/21/fabolous-the-soul-tape-mixtape/#comment-655550

by epic i pretty much am only referring to wayne's parts. i have trouble enjoying anything fab does.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
That new Royce/Em song really starts off slow and disappointing for me, but after the hook (which is serviceable) the part where they take turns spittin really gets me off. I mean, I like it

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

This is still the best Em/5'9" song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeglpfqBd80

Well obviously mr. obvious

edit: Track is actually very nice, shows some signs of chemistry though nothing like the aforementioned obvious song from the stone age

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 29, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Hey so check this rap this girl at my school made. Skip to about 0:49.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAil6JfF7Vw

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I think "Slug" from "Atmosphere" has a decent grasp of the art as well

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

chopper city posted:

I think sometimes he just says words and they don't mean anything and it's annoying. I actually do like some of his poo poo though http://youtu.be/cY1mR7k0rzA

Yeah I actually read somewhere that he sometimes just writes stuff as exercises and sometimes that ends up being some of his most popular work. Or at least that's verbatim what he said about "Always Coming Back Home To You."
It doesn't really matter to me though I think it's about audience interpretation :)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
~*~OOPS~*~

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I didn't like the songs that leaked from bad meets evil that much (not sure which is worse, Lighters or Loud Noises) but the songs that didn't are surprisingly good. Like someone else said, nothing super duper mindblowing but good. I don't think the Bruno Mars joint is going to blow up like they want it to, it simply leaks corniness.

additional opinion edit:
"Welcome 2 Hell" and "The Reunion" are both good and Fast Lane is the kind of song I wish would take over the radio but then I realize the general public doesn't like music like that.

On a non-BME note, the new kendrick lamar song is too sick.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 6, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

chomper posted:

I didn't realize it was a woman DJ... I agree about the misogyny.

I meant like "whiny DJ" not as in female.

...this. I thought it was pretty obvious he meant this, not that she is like woman-scum.

But anyway she is woman-scum if she is banning Trae because some shooting happened at loving TSU. Anyone who knows TSU knows that this probably had very little to do with Trae.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I just want to say I have been thoroughly enjoying the new DJ Quik album "Book of David" and everyone should go get it. Also, if you feel like telling me your favorite DJ Quik song/album before this then go ahead. The only other song by him I ever really jammed was "Bombudd 2" to get high to. :weed:

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Im not white I'm native american

Edit: nah im white

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
How do you know those white girls are rich? Im not saying they arent im just curious how you would know that. It sounds like you got xtra mad and did some research in order to e-slander them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Rap Music and Dope posted:

What do you mean if the tunes work? You mean like the song sounds good so who gives a poo poo besides herb goons or more like a everyone knows Rick Ross is a fictional character but the whole cocaine gangster theme is cool so why should we care about background?

Yeah, kinda. I mean the idea of everyone being 100% authentic or whatever would be better but fact is that the real cocaine gangsters probably arent as apt to rap or willing to put themselves out there like that, so we gotta get out cocaine dealer rap fix from a CO. Personally I'm not a big fan of Ross, but he's stepped up his rapping to the point where he is far from cringeworthy so that in itself redeems him in my eyes.

I guess other ppl care alot about so-called authenticity but i dont and in my view thats a difficult thing to verify from a fans perspective and doesnt make for interesting discussion

/rant

• Locked thread