Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Plus i heard gucci gucci in the club (i was surprised) and i swear to god it jams so hard with white bitches dancing all around you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I guess there's always going to be someone to devil's advocate ANY song no matter how terrible it is. "Well it's not THAT bad. It sounds good when I'm drunk off my rear end in the club." What doesn't? Why settle?

Its not settling. I didnt have to compromise any mental objection to enjoy it, probably because I have none?
The whole thing is stupid to me really. But i thought of a couple things to consider anyway.
1. (Obvious) would you apply this much overscrutiny to a black artist?
2. What if she used to be dirt poor but now she's rich, does that validate her bragging about it?
3. If she didn't use this persona, she probably wouldn't have the popularity/buzz that she does. Shouldn't she be applauded for creating this successful cadence/style?

Just some things to consider, i know i probably wont change anyone's minds :(

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 21, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah I wasn't really targetting one person with that reply just sharing some thoughts. But I suppose Captain Miss-A-Point is an honorable enough title

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I would definitely say 3 6 competes with early Nas/Wu. I live in Houston though

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Anyone have any thoughts on Ye's critical darling a couple months later? I recently found the cd after forgetting about it for a while, and, after polishing off some of the scratches, popped it in today. I found myself skipping the singles but the other songs still sound pretty good to me. I think So Appalled might actually emerge as my personal favorite now.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

snyprmag posted:

Pusha T and Tyler the Creator - Trouble on my mind
Good verses and Neptunes Beat; Pusha nevers sounds that great on a hook though.

That's weird I thought the hook made the song in this case.

Anyways there's this Future ft. Drake song and I like it.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

chopper city posted:

That's too bad :-(
This is unlistenable. Is this the guy's real voice whoever he is? Like he isn't doing some Al Pacino shtick or something this is the voice he's really gonna use?
okay

u wanna play rough

http://youtu.be/E-SESh707V4
I'm pretty sure it is a Al Pacino schtick

edit:
Yeah had to stop 10 seconds of the way through

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 9, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
a couple off of S4TW are pretty nice. overall though it sounds like he rushed it in the span of a day or two. "Rollin'" is nice and some punchlines are inevitably original/clever, but on the other hand some weezy-themes are just revisited far too often and without the "bursting at the seams" energy No Ceilings seemed to have.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm pretty sure Carter IV is going to have some good songs. Not like Classic Wayne but Classic Wayne is not coming back.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah he can still spit out some real raps when he summons up the energy.

On another note though the Wale Ft. J Cole single pretty much sucks

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

dundun posted:

So when did Drake start writing songs for Lil Wayne?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bl1OLyl00

When I first heard this song I thought it was some fan-made mashup, unfortunately its not. Lil Wayne sounds so mismatched with the lyrics/beat.

i dont know... it honestly sounds pretty natural to me. i think Wayne has been wanting to make this song for a while, for good or for bad. also he timed it perfectly for the summer and it sounds very summer-ey. probably will be the numba one skipped song on C4 for me though.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Lowkey's number one song on youtube is "TERRORIST?"

That is all.

edit: just listened. it was horrible.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 20, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I can deal with a little Immortal Technique. A LITTLE. I mean one song at a time. because the in-your-face politicality/serious tone of it all gets old very quickly. Yes I enjoy Drake and Wayne more because their music is more sonically pleasing to my ears for longer periods of time. I do recognize that Immortal has some lyrical prowess but as a total musical package he is not so great.

RollingBoBo posted:

i think you meant their boring music is the reason they have no widespread appeal

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
drat, who knew they had angry hip-hop elitism in the FFL.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

worlds gayest baby posted:

Here, let me put it into terms that Lil Wayne fans can understand.

Y'all motherfuckers ignant as poo poo. Go read a goddamn book.

Educated minorities always have and always will terrify white people. Case in point, this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKoCPvF2uM4

BTW, Which book would you have me read to develop my hip-hop tastes? I'm in the middle of "Prisoner Without A Name, Cell Without A Number" and almost done with "Lord of The Rings: Return of The King".

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
why do i have to be the one being toyed with? I thought I was toying :(

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
The new Roach Gigz "Bitch Im A Player" is pretty excellent.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
If you like Yelawolf Trunk Muzik I would put Rittz - White Jesus. Here is a video sample with bonus Yelawolf-acting-as-Joel-Osteen bit at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M6UV6QWw3s

also Roach Gigz - Roachy Balboa 1 and 2 and Bitch I'm A Player if you like Bay Area poo poo.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

alansmithee posted:

I wonder why you threw in that totally random and unrelated Bay Area dude?????

I don't know, Bigdee's list seemed pretty random? I wonder why you care so much??????

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 22, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

alansmithee posted:

lol

I dont like mac miller

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah her voice is inherently annoying and that type of beat does not lend itself so perfectly to that annoyingness as "Gucci Gucci" did. BUT she does have some good little technical-ish rhymes if you look for them and her whole character is pretty entertaining.

Still not gonna jam it outside of this time and the last time I heard it.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Dat Piff.. check out the new Juicy J tapes but NOT the posse cut tape because the features are beyond uninteresting.

edit: They are called Rubberband Business 1 and 2. I prefer 2.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Harley C posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ww9iZbI7c

I really like the sound of this, its cool

oh my god i wish this was longer

fakeedit: V-Nasty Using The N-Word

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
If anyone wanted to hear Drake's new single then happy birthday to you.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

epic funhaver posted:

Which is dope as hell, if anyone was wondering.

I like it. an understated feel and doesn't have the "what am i doiiingggg" corniness of Over.

Could listen to it all day just because it's smooth and the drums are catchy

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yelawolf dropped his single.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I don't knw, lyrics and cadences are on point. The thing is that none of the tracks off of Trunk Muzik would ever get him the radio appeal he is obviously searching for. This one might. I think the Lil Jon feature is unnecessary though. I would honestly rather have a Wiz feat or something.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Not sure if he's been covered before itt, but do people outside of Houston know about South Park Mexican?
I'm not the biggest fan but as a Houston denizen I don't mind hearing one of his tracks at all, I'll go ahead and link my favorite one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErgbHOxaXtU

Warning: kinda corny

he has other good songs without corny videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imp3Bx9f1ZU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O_F0scup3s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPyNJig74w&feature=related (this one is for :weed:)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

cardedagain posted:

i've known of him for over a decade, but i can't say that i was ever interested in hearing his tunes. not sure why.

yeah i definitely do not feel compelled to listen to him very much, but if his tunes come on i'm surprised by how well they hold up.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Is SPM in prison still?

Yes I believe so

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I didn't like the original at all really, but this DJ Premier remix of Royce ft. Eminem is pretty much dopeness.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Gucci has some real artistic ability, you're right, but so does Lil B. Lil B's is like Warhol sometimes and other times like-- whatever, I don't know enough about art to make this analogy.

Anyways I remember someone in this thread saying they couldn't believe the Eminem that made the song "Seduction" was the same one who spit on MMLP. Well at the time I didn't share that feeling, but now I do with this abomination. Maybe there's something I'm missing but I'm pretty sure that song is a crap sandwich.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
The beats on this Kanye/Hova joint are crazy. "Gotta Have It" in particular is blowing my mind

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
At the very least you can't complain about the production, it's excellent. What surprised me is I heard about the "dubstep" songs (Who Gon Stop Me and the end of Niggas in Paris, i guess?) and basically it gets my mouth watering but I never get the steak I think I'm going to get. That was the only proper analogy for what's going on in my mind. Still cool and I like the precedent, but I just feel like it was slightly off the mark, and I don't really like the way they change the beat on Who Gon Stop Me.

Anyways asides from production I like Kanye's parts but I think Hov missed the mark on some of his delivery. Just seems like his age is kind of showing or his charisma is not as flexible as Ye's is. I just hear "old man rapping" on some of his parts. Not all of them, mind you, but I can't help but wonder what if they had replaced some of Jay's with a younger rapper. I feel disrespectful just typing that but it's true.

edit: from what I've heard the album is very different if you read the lyrics while listening. :rolleyes: Still doesn't make up for flaws in delivery but whatever.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 10, 2011

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yes he is

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I think it can be broken down like this

Awesome/Great Songs:
No Church In The Wild
Niggas in Paris
Gotta Have It
The Joy

Good Songs:
Otis
Why I Love You
Illest Motherfucker Alive
Primetime

Decent or Worse:
New Day
Welcome to the Jungle
Murder To Excellence
Who Gon Stop Me

Pop Songs Which Shall Not Be Ranked:
Lift Off

Again the production is mostly excellent all the way across but in terms of what I actually want to listen to after hearing the album a lot. I think New Day is cool but ultimately is trying to be the "deep/meaningful" song with substance but comes off kind of forced and same thing with Murder but worse. H*A*M hangs out in Lex Luger Limbo because it's one of my favorites but I feel like I'm very alone in that opinion and I think I'm just excited to hear Ye/Jay on a Luger beat

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

jazz babies posted:

I still remember when he was on Degrassi as the basketball star who got paralyzed by a crazy kid who shot him. :allears:

Oh you remember that? Cool

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
This Wayne - She Will ft. Drake has some weak-rear end lines "what goes around comes around like a hula hoop" (wtf wayne) but Drake absolutely murders the hook so I can stand it enough.

also seconding and thirding or whatevering any Ferrari Boyz cosigns.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
The new mellowhype track is quite fetch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I really like this Game ft. Wayne and Tyler, the Creator

Any opinions?

• Locked thread