Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phractured
Feb 21, 2008
He speaks like with southern drawl but he's from NY. Also his production is on point and his lyrics compliment it nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Too bad he spelled "Yelawolf" wrong on that single art he made. Sick song though. Did it cost him to get a Yela feature? or are they friends through the business?

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

I can't make decisions for myself, how does this thread feel about Hopsin? The dude can rap but his persona is terrible and horrorcore pretty much sucks and has no replay value.

For reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEWKkqjX4ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bULBnef6w6k

Hopsin is sick. He isn't even horrorcore really. Check any interview with him and you'll see he is a nice, modest guy. Also from a technical standpoint, he can really rap. "How you like me now" is an absurd display of his flow.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I've been to countless shows (although I'm still pretty young,) and even though some older rappers don't always "bring it," I appreciate that I was able to see some of these guys before they passed away. I was lucky enough to see Eyedea, and when he performed, it was mostly some alternative rock/rap poo poo that I wasn't particularly loving, but I am so grateful that I was able to see and talk to him before he passed.

In regards to GZA, I saw him this summer, and he was performing in the blazing sun, sweating his rear end off. He still did his thing; he performed well, and most importantly, he didn't have a million hypemen out on stage drowning him out. Also at least when he does a show, he still performs, unlike some members of the clan who just get Cappadonna to jump on stage and finish every verse...

I fully believe that GZA is an artist you should see if you get the chance. Especially for $20.

Redman and Methodman are still kings though. One of the best performances I have ever seen.

phractured fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 8, 2011

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
That ASAP ROcky + Lloyd Banks track is such fire. I can't stop bumpin it. It's been an absurd couple of weeks for rap.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I don't even know who Asap Rocky is so I'm not defending him, just saying this. Is Big L any less dope because his style came from Lord Finesse? Does it really matter if Lord Finesse is from New York or Mars?

Yeah the idea of "stealing" a REGIONAL style is absurd.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I think Wale really sucks. Same freaking flow and his raps involve him saying half of every word. Slight Work still has a special place in my library because of diplo though.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Reverend Rath posted:

What the gently caress did Yelawolf do to his album? Its poppy nonsense, WHY?! This isn't Yelawolf. I'm embarrassed to show this to my friends.

Wow this gave me low hopes for this album.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Rap Music and Dope posted:

That's actually a cool idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHVe7FKTUmo

"pedal to the metal; i'm ridin real slow"

Haha that makes no sense.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

glorp posted:

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

also check out my homie kydd on 2dopeboyz shooting his new music video with pac div

Kydd is nice. I've been checking him ever since you posted "where is the love" or whatever. Did you produce "where is the love?"

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

glorp posted:

yessir i did! thanks! its nice to know there are imaginary internet people who dig it! im actually the paki in the texas shirt who knocks on the door (my only claim to fame)

Yeah I remember, the landlord. I show that video to all my friends. If you ever let out an instrumental of that, let me know.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Figure this is the best place to ask:

I picked up a used copy of 808s and Heartbreak in the summer, and a few days ago it finally registered that "poo poo" in the cut with Lil Wayne is censored. I then went through the album and I couldn't fine a single other instance of a swear word. I was pissed that I accidentally bought an edited version of the album, but after looking online, I'm a little confused.

Is there only a clean version of 808s and Heartbreak?

Edit: I actually think its cool if the album was clean originally, I just don't want to realize I have an edited version and half the lyrics are wrong.

That's what happened to me for Slum Village's Detroit Deli. Then I found the dirty version. Fackin Itunes.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I am really digging Flatbush Zombies. Thanks to whoever posted that.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
So I finally listened to one Doomtree song. I'm interested if there are any other artists that people ignore for some arbitrary reason? I never listened to Doomtree because I felt no need for more backpacker sutff, but I kind of fux with it.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Jock Mocken posted:

speaking for myself Doomtree just doesn't show up on my radar at all because they aren't ever mentioned on any of the sites I read on the regular (which focus on either mainstream/general interest stuff or down south poo poo). I checked out that Dessa album that was mentioned in here a couple pages ago and it was pretty straight, though I agree with hai that it's not really a rap record.

as for what's been good lately, I dunno really, nothing has had me particularly fired up. I mean yeah TM103 and the new Rick Ross tape are both pretty decent but nothing really stuck in my head and demanded a rewind. really the only song I've wanted to play over and over again is this Chuck Inglish instrumental off that tape I keep bigging up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHz058TVY8M

Isn't that a Chip tha Rip song?

e: Fat Raps

phractured fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 19, 2012

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
http://phonyland.bandcamp.com/

These guys are the next Roots. I saw them at Webster last year and they killed it. I highly suggest you guys get this album (It's free if you google it, but due to too many downloads they can't give it out for free on bandcamp anymore). Also head over to their tumblr to check out their other work.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

savinhill posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th0V-fxo9CE Warren G deserves every album sale he ever made just for producing this one song

My dad had always been fine with my music in the car until I played that song. That was the day he finally said that he did not want me listening to "that garbage." Thank you Warren G.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Tactical Grace posted:

Is all of Curren$y's material worth a listen?

Definitely listen to both Pilot Talks and the Smokee Robinson Mixtape. There are some meaaaaan tracks on there. I have also nothing but good things to say about Fast Times at Ridgemond Fly. I haven't really enjoyed Convert Coup and his more recent stuff though. Sometimes his flow gets old and boring.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I don't care what anyone says. Hopsin has bars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDTY8NqgYY

I haven't hear anyone go off like that in a while. I don't understand people who can defend Danny Brown and then poo poo talk Hopsin. Danny Brown sucks massively, and he looks like way more of an emo bitch than Hopsin.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Wafflecop posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nngSuIt8UFU - not as technical as the original but I think Danny makes up for it with personality. Yea he might rap a bit too much about his dick on XXX but he did release music before that. Best Of The Hybrid (an unofficial compilation I think) off DatPiff has a huge variety of DB tracks. I will also vouch for Detroit State of Mind pts 1 &4 (only ones I have lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZjU9c19uzM

10 Gs a Week made me want to get into Danny Brown, but I can't stand his voice or his style on his newer stuff. I couldn't make it past 2 songs in XXX.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

the black husserl posted:

Can we get that hopsin fan back in here to talk about Kid Cudi? There's some emo bitches who need to get smacked :twisted:
What do you want to hear about Cudi?

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
That kydd tape is pretty sick.

I heard this track the other day, and I really like the mix between R&B and chopped and crewed stuff. I'd definitely recommend for any fans of the Weekend or ASAP Rocky..

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

O__O posted:

My buddy already bought me a ticket, but how is curren$y live (if anyone knows)?

Curren$y brings it live, but by the end of the show you'll never want to hear the phrase "Jet Life" again. He plays material from all over his catalog though, and his catalog is huge. I gotta respect that.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Vivec posted:

This is probably some amateur poo poo but I just "found" the Pharcyde and :drat:

One of my favorite songs of all time. The beat is unreal.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Parachute posted:

Psht, the beat is secondary to SK3's beautiful flow.

It's just a match made in heaven.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
That trouble mixtape is real hot. His flow keeps getting better.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
ASAP Rocky in the studio with The Kickdrums.

Needless to say I am really excited. That beat and chick are unreal.

e: Also, I was listening to that new Curren$y track, and Wale is loving garbage. He actually is so bad I cannot understand how he got signed. It is beyond me. He uses mispronunciations to segue half of his lines. Smh.

phractured fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 6, 2012

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Schoolboy Q's album as a whole I'm not sure about. It's so over the top in some places that I'm CERTAIN it's not supposed to be taken seriously (almost like a parody or mockery) but it's still really good regardless. And Oxy Music is more about selling than personal use, or so I gather.

And Wale used to be pretty good, but he changed up his style and kept messing around so much that he seems to have lost everything that made him interesting before. His first few mixtapes were really nice, but now I just can't stand him.

Mixtape About Nothing is still in rotation, but ever since that song with Lady Gaga... just not feeling him.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

John Brown posted:

-French Montana He chooses good beats that are loud, and makes as equally as good choruses to go along with them. Also, he can rap.

Stay Schemin begs to differ.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Big Spender is out. ASAP's verse is a let down though. I miss the non-studio verse. Oh well, the beat is fire.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

snyprmag posted:

I picked up Future's Pluto because Noz has been raving about it. I wasn't really sure what to expect because I'd only heard him on like Gucci Mane and Trouble features and, you know, its all auto-tuned pseudo rap. Turns out the album is really popping and addicting. Its like a fun version of 808s and Heartbreaks.
edit: There' also a Big Rube intro which is always good to hear.

Want to link to some of the highlights of the album?

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

SLAMMYsosa posted:

Ugh, why did I check this thread?

I'm seeing A$AP Rocky tonight and this track completely killed all my excitement for the show

Care to elaborate? I can tell you right now that A$APs shows are probably his strongest talent right now. The crowd goes wild.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
iSland by G-Side is one of the more quality albums I have heard in a while. They released the video for No U in Us the other day so i decided to check out the album and hot drat. I knew these guys were good, but I am really enjoying this poo poo.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
My favorite Lil Wayne feature recently is on Cyeah by Gucci Mane. He basically doesn't even rap. Atrocious. Chris Brown actually goes off though which really surprised me.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Diodeous posted:

His deleted wiki entry seems to shed some light:

At the time I remember it being BMF related but I can't find anything to support that, but does anyone else find it strange that he only served 11 days? In all likelihood it was because he had a good lawyer or they couldn't pin anything to him, but generally when you're found in the vicinity of 400k of coke there's a federal problem.
Unless you're white.

I feel rappers often find their ways out of a lot drug charges as well. It's only when weapons come into play do they actually do jail time.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I don't really get why you wouldn't categorize FlyLo or Donuts as Hip-Hop. Hip-Hop is a culture, not just a genre, and I find that FlyLo and Dilla are more hip-hop than weird electronica. Each to their own I guess.

In other news, I can't stop saying "I don't like" is public all the time. That first poo poo that Pusha T comes in with, "SoHo, Tribeca, Three Hoes, Trifecta," has been stuck in my head all week long. Fire.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
That Cory Kendrix track is really hot. Sent that poo poo all school to give it some exposure. Any chance of hearing an instrumental?

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

youngallah posted:

whats your email? ill send it to you as long as you dont also send that to your school haha\

e: also John Brown ... great question. wtf happened to him... he was kinda hot for a sec... wasnt he signed to dre or something?

e2: also kendz do you still rap whats the deal w that i still remember that song on myspace you had with terell shahid haha

[phracturedheart] [aT] [gmail] [dot] [com]

Much appreciated, and don't worry, I just want to have it to freestyle over by myself.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Bullet Proof posted:

i'm seeing him friday along with MED, then it's Ghostface and DOOM the week after. cant loving wait.

I wouldn't count on DOOM being there.

That Apollo Brown track is pretty nice. I finally got around to getting that Schoolboy Q album and it's real quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Everyone cop this. Really slept on album.

• Locked thread