Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any thoughts on the new Atmosphere album or Heavy Metal Kings (haven't listened to the whole album yet because I'm bumping "Children of God" on repeat)? I'm sorta enjoying The Family Sign, haven't totally absorbed it yet but I don't think I enjoy it as much as When Life Gives You Lemons or the recent EPs.

Also wondering if anyone liked Kill Devil Hills. I didn't really give it much of a chance, none of the songs seemed as good as Ill Bill's other albums.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I think this new Atmosphere/Aesop song is pretty dandy.
Sounds pretty good, I wish Aesop Rock would come out with another solo album already. Or at least finish his supposed projects he's working with with Cage and Rob Sonic. It's been a while.

One of my good childhood friends actually got featured as the rapper guy in one of the Capcom 3DS commercials that's getting overplayed whenever I'm watching the playoffs and other poo poo. I see it played on TV a lot, I wish him luck though I'm not too sure where his rapping is gonna take him, other than as maybe one of those nerd rappers like maybe MC Chris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-_s_6WD10

He's been rapping for a while, pretty decent though a lot of people complain he sounds too much like Eminem.

Another song by him, much older-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6P0WymfM8

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 20, 2011

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Gangland & Messiah were supposed to be released already.

I'd really rather not know. He's one of the sad losses of potential in the rap game other than what albums Lauryn Hill and/or the Fugees could've put out. I really enjoyed Godfather Buried Alive and then by the time he comes out of jail for some reason his voice and style and everything are all total utter horror.

I'm pretty sure they're delayed or something, because I see no signs of them being released. Going by how utterly bizarre and crap the supposed singles were, it's something better left buried for all concerned. I mean, for most rappers, even crappy weird ones like Lil B or Waka Flocka Flame, there are still people that consider themselves fans of their music even if they're just saying it ironically. I didn't see any signs of that with the new Shyne stuff, it's just so weird and crappy that people can't even pretend to like it. Too horrible to be played on the radio or be underground. The new Shyne stuff wasn't "so bad it's good" or "so bad you could pretend to like it for laughs" it was just...bad.

At least the Yelawolf Shady debut seems to be proceeding well.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 18, 2011

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jock Mocken posted:

ummm I'm pretty sure you have no idea why people like Flocka. Hint: it has nothing to do with irony and everything to do with the fact that Flocka's poo poo knocks stuff off shelves and makes folks get buck
Oh yeah, I did offer two potential reasons, either because they're being ironic or because they have terrible taste. :) The irony part was more for Lil B fans, sorry if I worded that wrong. There are plenty of other mainstream artists and southern rappers and radio rappers that sell just as well and have poo poo that "knocks stuff off shelves and makes folks get buck", you don't have to resort to people that flow like they just got pulled out of the homeless shelter. :)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 19, 2011

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not sure if anyone's been listening to the new Killer Mike album or not, but it's pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_uhsZmXWJY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Eminem- Marshal Mathers LP
The Fugees- The Score
Aesop Rock- Labor Days
Dr. Dre- 2001
Brother Ali- Shadows on the Sun

Honorable Mention:
G-Unit- Beg For Mercy
D12- Devil's Night
Eminem- The Slim Shady LP
Ice Cube- War & Peace Vol. 2 (The Peace Disc)
Lil Wayne- Tha Carter II
Chino XL- Poison Pen
Outkast- Stankonia
NaS- Stillmatic
Jay-Z- American Gangster
The Streets- A Grand Don't Come for Free
Cage Kennylz- Hell's Winter
Immortal Technique- Revolutionary Vol. 2
Lauryn Hill- The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Yeah, a lot of this stuff is from influence in my formative years obviously.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 16, 2011

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess there's always going to be someone to devil's advocate ANY song no matter how terrible it is. "Well it's not THAT bad. It sounds good when I'm drunk off my rear end in the club." What doesn't? Why settle?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

tyrseil posted:

i'm gonna pretend everyone in this thread that likes Kreayshawn is just being ironic okay?
Yeah same here, for my sanity. I get that most everything sounds great and catchy when you're drunk in the club, but have some standards geez.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Serch is BACK! posted:

i was gonna mention something like this, it's consistently hilarious to me how people will classify dudes like Immortal Technique or Brother Ali or Vinnie Paz as "political rappers" because they talk about politics on an incredibly high 'gently caress the system' level while completely ignoring groups like X-Clan that spoke very clearly about actual issues that affected their lives. a TON of old rap is inherently political because it dealt with race in America, and to me, that's just as worthy of the "political rap" tag as a guy kicking 16's about chemtrails.

i really don't mind one-track rappers if they're consistently good at their one track, lif is a great example of that. i think the problem is really that politics in music just "work better" on a microcosmic, granular level, and you're always going to express more salient points if you're discussing your chunk of the human condition instead of doing a bunch of hand-waving about the ever-present "they".

I gotta say I object to you including Brother Ali in there, he's not exactly Vinnie Paz or Immortal Technique in terms of subject matter and general style and he's definitely not some generic 'gently caress the system' faux-political rapper. He may collaborate with some of them, but you really haven't listened to much Brother Ali if you're tossing him into that "one-track rappers you listen to when you're 17" pile. I get a more positive and constructive social vibe from his music, less AK-47s and FUK BUSH. He's the first rapper I've ever listened to (so this may just be me) that actually maturely and compassionately addressed homosexuality in a song, while you'll constantly have Vinnie Paz and Technique talk about equality and then be like "I'LL KILL YOU human being". Generally Ali's commenting more on social issues than getting straight political and even when he does get political it's usually more intelligent and poetic than an Immortal Technique.

Speaking of Paz though, what did people think about the new JMT album? Seems pretty mediocre to me but I came into it expecting that and haven't given it a fair full listen yet.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 29, 2011

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My problem with Yelawolf is that I can't understand a drat thing he's rapping anyway.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think that all the beef proves is that Drake is so soft that even Common can successfully diss him and look like a tough dude. Basically dissing Drake is the best opportunity for wack soft rappers right now, because there's no way you're wacker or softer than Drake and you'll get some press out of it because Drake's selling so well right now. Plus at least compared to Drake you'll look like some tough gangster for dissing him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dead Snoopy posted:

not to take a side in the Drake/Common beef [I'm actualy a fan of both for different reasons, flaws & all] but at this point in hip-hop what's the point of beef now? At least when you had the old structure of record labels before the industry mismanaged itself, the real trophy of a victory was elevating your status and your profile. Let's say The Cool Kids start poo poo with Freddie Gibbs, other than some sharp one-liners what really gets acomplished? It's not like it will equate record sales. 1,000 more twitter followers really doesn't seem like that big of a victory.

[note - before you jump in about the rappers I used, I'm just pulling random names. I could give a poo poo less about who would win there]

The best thing about the Common dis?
http://the305.com/2012/01/11/you-canada-dry-t-shirt-are-now-available-inspired-by-commons-diss-line-to-drake/

[as a Canadian, I still found it funny]
Ultimately regardless of record sales, people will continue to do whatever they can to garner some attention, especially when they have a new album out. Even if beefs seem pointless, we'll probably continue to see them happening like this indefinitely because they're sort of like an ingrained tradition of hating in hip-hop. Besides, didn't Drake come at him first? I think all this is Common responding.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
As someone who ignored everything about Childish Gambino for ages, I have to ask: is "Bonfire" an anomaly in his catalogue or something? Can people recommend me any good entertaining songs of his, because everything else I'm finding is just weak, full of half-assed singing, slow, and doesn't really inspire much hype.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

alansmithee posted:

and to the dude asking about donglover people who listen to his music aren't listening to childish gambino rapping because it's good, they're listening to that funny dude from community rapping because lol raps amirite???

also i thought bonfire was pretty bad, sounded like a cut rate 6'7'
Yeah, I don't really think "Bonfire" is that great or anything, but I try to keep an open-mind and try out rappers I haven't given a chance to, plus it's at least a bit hype and fast-paced and I can kind of enjoy it as mindless entertaining hokey joke rap with a nice beat. Also it's at least not Childish Gambino sounding like some poor man's Kid Cudi or something. I wasn't sure if it was rare for him to rap over that sort of beat, because everything else I've been finding sounds like weak garbage for 16 year old girls.
I guess you're right about the majority of his fanbase, given what I've been discovering, sort of those mediocre rappers loved by people who go "lol idont usually like rap but dis is awesome!!!!!" like say Mac Miller fans.

Another rapper I've sadly slept on for ages though...how would people rate Q-Tip's rap career? Does he have any real great albums? I'd genuinely never heard a song of his before and I just recently heard "N.T." with Busta Rhymes and I'm seriously digging it.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 24, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was thinking something along the same lines recently actually. I wouldn't add the "ever" at the end but I was contemplating which mainstream rappers out there I'd more sooner want to purchase a new solo album from and the easy answer was Kanye.
I can't really think of anyone else in the mainstream who compares and there's no way I'm buying an album from present day Eminem, there's only so much of that poo poo I can take.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not sure what's going on here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oca5xnPeCRU

It's sometimes frustrating that for every interesting socially-conscious but still awesome and on point song Killer Mike releases he also releases like thirty really generic songs with random dudes. :v: Still, his last album was one of my favorite rap records of 2011.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just saw the new Paid Dues lineup, unless this is old news in which case my bad. :v:

Not sure I'm particularly hyped about seeing poo poo like Mac Miller or Rah Digga (or even Odd Future really)...but Brother Ali, Wu Tang, Crooked I, RA the Rugged Man, Hieroglyphics, etc. not bad.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe some Dizzee Rascal? I don't know. My best bets for that sort of aggressive motivating rap are always DMX and/or something involving Vinnie Paz/Ill Bill growling bullshit like "MY FIST COULD BREAK A loving BOULDER IN HALF!!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bulging Nipples posted:

This is the best workout song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ5W-E3EJc
Hahaha, true, the soundtrack of my early teens. I remember around the same time DMX's Grand Champ had come out and I was heavily bumping that as well as Obie Trice's debut album (it's a real shame he hasn't come out with another real studio album of new material after leaving Shady Records. I'm glad Bottoms Up is FINALLY coming out).
Good times...2003 was a pretty good year for rap music, I guess. If I remember right Get Rich or Die Tryin' had come out recently around then and Encore hadn't come out quite yet so Eminem hadn't entered his post-prime decline (I do often see people arguing that there were some foreshadowing signs on The Eminem Show though, but I disagree. I don't remember really being disappointed by an Eminem record until that ominous day where I purchased and listened to Encore the first day it came out, at like age 16. I did end up buying Relapse though, so I guess I didn't quite learn my lesson at the first opportunity to do so.)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 24, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SLAMMYsosa posted:

For me it's a combination of taking himself really seriously, being really bad, having worse fans and being a prick to the rappers who have to share the stage with him.

Like, everyone I know who has gone to an ImmTech show either in the audience or as a fellow performer says he starts every set off with something like "Alright, now that that human being poo poo is over..." re: whoever played before him.

He also talks poo poo on his lovely white conscious rap loving Alex Jones watching audience and is a huge prick to his fanbase because he sees himself as being super hard and raw and doesn't like that his music only attracts crowds of lovely white people, but I mean I don't really fault him for that since ImmTech fans deserve to be punished. I have heard that cited as a reason some of my friends who have seen him live don't like him though.
To be fair though, a lot of rappers take themselves too seriously, childishly diss other performers, throw around homophobic slurs, see themselves as super hard and raw to a delusional level, and often babble about all kinds of political conspiracy bullshit. Don't all those things sound super familiar in terms of rappers?
I mean, if I'm being honest here and identify the reasons you provided there and the reasons others give...the core things you despise about him are prevalent in a shitload of rappers that are beloved in this thread and in general.
I think a lot of NMS rap fans just like trying to seem hip/superior/witty by specifically ragging on Immortal Technique, because he's like one of those easy target cliche names that you see mentioned by oblivious fools who are like "I dig INTELLIGENT RAP, conscious underground hip hop braaaa" ala DefJux dudes and Sage Francis.

Not that I'm a fan (or hater) of Immortal Technique or anything. It's obvious he's not a particularly talented rapper in terms of flow or lyricism or anything at all. I liked him when I was like, 14, and I think he's one of those rappers where you discover him in like junior high or something and think he's amazing and then grow up to other much better poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 25, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Limp Bizkit, Busta Rhymes, Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Tyga, Mystikal, all on the same label now.
I would espouse the US government tactically nuking that room just to finally eliminate Drake, Fred Durst, and Nicki Minaj. Sure, you get a lot of innocent losses like Wayne and Busta but I think I'm willing to make those sacrifices for the greater good of hip hop.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

aniero posted:

Watched MTVs 'Hottest MCs in the game' which was a complete waste of time.

So, question: most underrated? Go!

(not historically, current acts only)
I don't really know how to rank them, or if underrated would also mean overlooked...and underrated by who exactly...but some names that come off the top of my head are like...
Obie Trice, Lloyd Banks, R.A. the Rugged Man, and uhhhhh maybe Crooked I and/or Chino XL?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SLAMMYsosa posted:

Plus, his music is impossibly bad.

I don't know, I think there are a lot of rappers who come close to ImmTech in a lot of these areas. See: the Strange Famous, Def Jux and Rhymesayers rosters. But as terrible as Sage and Slug are, ImmTech manages to be worse in every way and then some.
People think Sage and Slug (or say, Aesop Rock) are genuinely terrible? You also seem to just toss in the entire DefJux and Rhymesayers rosters too, I don't know...
I mean they have their hits and misses and embarrassingly lame moments, and most of them were the rap of my junior high years, but I think "terrible" is a bit much. Even saying they come anywhere close to Immortal Technique in terms of quality seems unfair.

To each their own, but I can still bump stuff like A Healthy Distrust or Labor Days even now (probably, I don't feel like risking shattering my nostalgia and actually doing so) and I think Atmosphere's EPs and LPs of the last two or three years have been pretty decent. I look forward to Aesop Rock finally coming out with a new solo LP whenever that happens. Same with Cage if he's dropping the weird emo rap-rock singsong bullshit he ruined his last album with.
Honestly Brother Ali's probably my favorite rapper right now and the only rapper other than maybe Kanye West that I can still actually shell out money and pay for new albums from without getting uneasy/nervous about it (though that'll change eventually, maybe his upcoming album Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color or collaboration album with Freeway will be harbingers of decline). They're not representative of my taste in rap in general or even my general taste in music and it annoys me when oblivious people who don't know much about rap still do that cliche bullshit about holding them up as purveyors of "real" or "intelligent" hip hop...but I definitely don't think they're anywhere near "terrible".

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 26, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jock Mocken posted:

No he's also a pretty lovely rapper
I think you could probably say that about a good amount of rappers in this thread that get nowhere near as much hate (some are even loved). I'd say it's more a combination of that and him being a douche. People can handle lovely rappers as long as they have some sort of personality and charisma and Tech obviously has neither.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

the black husserl posted:

Lil wayne wore a shirt that said "COMMUNIST" on it in that Jay Sean video. Food for thought.
Hahaha, I had no idea, this looks hilarious and retarded.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not white or one of those pretentious dudes who starts with "I don't like rap at all but..." or "I listen to real intellectual conscious rap!".
I was a little kid raised on Ice Cube and NWA albums (probably not a good thing for my development) and I really dig rappers like Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, and Murs (him specifically not as much but he has a couple songs I enjoy).
Sage Francis and Tech not so much anymore at all, though I did enjoy them during my teen years.

Plus I thought that one song off the last mostly lovely Sage album was pretty cool-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8hzUDXvtk&ob=av2e

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 29, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

John Brown posted:

Don't know why I just found out that Young Buck signed to MMG, but to add to that, TI has signed Trae the Truth to Grand Hustle (http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/744687/ti-introduces-new-members-of-grand-hustle.jhtml) Personally I think this
move is well past overdue for Trae. I was concerned he would fade after being banned from Houston's radios so this could be a really good opportunity.
Now if someone can convince Stat Quo to start rapping again, maybe he'd get another shot at from a major...

I've been missing from the thread so if I'm late or repetitive, feel free to ignore this.
I just heard about this stuff as well, I'm glad Young Buck will finally be releasing some new music. :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

thunderthief posted:

speaking of EXCLUSIVE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh1Q14N6G-g&feature=player_embedded!

the link heard round the world (limp bizkit feat lil wayne lol)
Birdman is a consumate businessman...does this mean he really thinks Cash Money/Young Money can engineer a successful national Limp Bizkit revival? And what if he actually can?
Isn't that enough reason for like, Israel to launch a raid on his record studio? That's a worse WMD than anything Iran has.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is it just me or is Cage back to his old topics but without his old dexterous flow? Maybe I'm just remembering his previous albums wrong, but he never seemed so...slow and simplistic, rhyme-wise? That was one of the sad things about his crappy Depart From Me album, more so than just the topics and beats. I was kinda hoping he was able to return to his old style.

At least Nas seems to be doing pretty awesome.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kalleth posted:

So, some "rap"/"dnb"/"what?" by a white dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8GvLKTsTuI

I'm confused. Do i post that in the Rap thread, the Dubstep thread, or the dnb thread?
Welp...that sure is something. At least he's not singing anymore.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

THNDRTHF posted:

anyone see the new Aesop Rock single (i know, you hate him)

http://soundcloud.com/rhymesayers/04-zero-dark-thirty

new album July 10, haven't exactly been watching for him, but cool
Pretty awesome, I've been an Aesop Rock fan for a while, as a little kid he was sort of my introduction to the idea that "underground" rap existed and the world wasn't just Ice Cube/Dr. Dre/Eminem. I dug Labor Days and Bazooka Tooth but I slept pretty hard on None Shall Pass. Here's hoping Skelethon is good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty cool. That's some scraggly neckbeard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbd4h1kaFlY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Also it just emphasizes more what a waste the new Aesop album will be since None Shall Pass was his best work and his worst album was when he tried to handle some of the production himself (Bazooka Tooth).
I guess one's mileage may vary, personally my favorite Aesop Rock albums were Labor Days and Bazooka Tooth while None Shall Pass was the one that I totally slept on. :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Prodigy has the best penmanship, that is all.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

zanmatto posted:

How are we feeling about Lupe's new single, Bitch Bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXvDga5ENlQ

It's really, really preachy, but I actually kinda like it.
Yeah on one hand Lupe's lame sanctimonious preaching about the same rehashed "mainstream rap/culture" tropes are a bit tiring, especially after he released an album like Lasers (which makes his typical characteristic pretension seem a thousand times more hypocritical now)...but on the other hand I can't help digging some of these new songs.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone hear the title track for Brother Ali's upcoming album?
It's kinda a bummer for me, because I've been a huge Brother Ali fan for a while and dig all of his LPs. With each one he'd kinda change up his flow, maybe get a bit more lyrically dense or less lyrically dense or try a different style, sometimes minor changes...but despite that I consistently dug all of the albums.
With Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color, I was pretty excited.
Writer's Block and Not a Day Goes By were pretty rad...but now it turns out neither are on the album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qWAClqh9I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13sOLyn0ec

Instead I got this hackneyed title track, which kinda feels like a underwhelming Immortal Technique song in 2003 or a Lupe Fiasco song in 2012. Disappointing and treading over ground that a billion other rappers already have (including Ali himself, perhaps far better in a song like "Letter From the Government" or "Uncle Sam Goddamn"), maybe he should have stuck with Ant, here's hoping the rest of the album is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKHsGh-y8d8

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What's the deal with this Chief Keef guy? I have no idea who he is really, and I haven't even tried any of his songs...I just know he's apparently a dude with Aspergers who dissed Lupe Fiasco and tweets pics of himself having sex. He any good?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not sure what to think about the new Brother Ali album, he kinda went even deeper into the Preacher mode he had in Us, and while it was balanced and toned down enough to be entertaining in Us...this time around I'm not so sure I'm totally digging it. The songs all seem slow-paced but oddly too short and I kinda miss Ant's beats. Still just the first skimthrough though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Slackerish posted:

Young Jeezy hasn't been good since like 2006 though.
Mixtapes aside...you really consider The Inspiration drastically better than The Recession enough to make a statement like that? Because I really don't see it. They've both got a fairly equal amount of decent songs on them. I slept pretty hard on his last album, but I gotta say I enjoyed his first three albums.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm glad I genuinely enjoyed and connected with the ASAP Rocky and Kendrick Lamar albums this year, for the longest time I'd come into this rap thread and feel like I was disconnecting into the worst possible thing: "disgruntled and confused old man of hip hop who can't find any new rappers he likes and rambles about how the rap that was popular when he was 16 was way better".

• Locked thread