Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Just gonna chime in on the Goodie Mob love. Got into them only a couple of weeks ago and Soul Food is definitely somewhere in my top 15 or so hip hop albums.

The Curren$y tape is sweeet too and now I'm jammin to Fashawn and Alchemist's Antidote mixtape from '09.

Anybody got any reccs for more Alch stuff? These beats are noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Got my five, it's difficult to do but I'm thinking Desert Island Discs style; if I could only listen to 5 hip hop albums (hell, 5 albums) it would have to be these:

Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle
Goodie Mob's Soul Food
Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves
GZA's Liquid Swords
ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers

I'm not going to give any reasons for choosing them because if you've listened to them, which I'm sure everyone in this thread has, then you'll know that they're all masterpieces and require no justification or explanation.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Can I get a recommendation on Three 6 Mafia albums? Been listening to a few good tunes on youtube in the last few months (mostly just We Run It on repeat :D ) and I need to get into them properly.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Yes it is.

Just wanted to say thanks for the three 6 reccs, what 2/3 weeks ago now, picked up Mystic Stylez, When the Smoke Clears and Mista Don't Play and I've been enjoying them each thoroughly. Mystic Stylez is my favourite, with Back Against Da Wall and Break Da Law 95 for highlights although the whole thing is pretty fantastic.

I've been on a bit of a South kick for the last two months and I'm on a bit of Gucci Mane atm. People give him a lot of poo poo for his lyrics and extracurricular activities (mental hospital visits and face tattoos) but I really like his flow. Got both the Writings on the Wall tapes and Ferrari Music. WotW1&2 are both full of bangers and FM's got a few.

I'm getting excited for Ferrari Boyz, beeen listening to this a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMhxOgf7ys

I'm not really into Waka but he's inoffensive on that one and so I hope for the album. Before I was into Gucci I felt the same about him that I still do about Lil B, namely that I was thinking "How the gently caress can anyone enjoy this poo poo? The beats are mindnumbing and the dude sounds retarded". I still don't like Lil B but I think the difference between him and Gucci is that people think Gucci is a fool but he's actually an artist whereas some think Lil B is an artist but he's just a fool.

I realise that I came down on Lil B and I'm not trying to poo poo on his fans, but I just can't see the point, even on the songs he says he's actually trying on.

Edit: Just thought of a terrible analogy - Gucci is Van Gogh, Lil B is Tracey Emin. In terms of mental balance and artistic ability both.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 7, 2011

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Downloaded Screw the Throne last night. Just listened to it and heard what I assume was Frank Ocean singing about baby jesus, switched over to the new Meek Mills tape. Much better, Ima Boss had me excited for this one. Also just remembered to check out Ferrari Boyz at some point, good times yo.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
yea he's been brought up here before. Only listened to a couple of tunes myself, he's alright I guess but it's crazy how much he sounds like Ghost, everytime I think about listening to AB I just put on Ironman instead.

Don't have much to report on my own listening atm apart from downloading those Triple J tapes named above. I got Stalley's ITM on a rec from The Smoking Section the other day, it's pretty good but Meek is still my favourite MMG cat. Downloaded Pill's The Diagnosis but then I read a bad review and put it to the side for a bit, still haven't got around to giving it a spin yet.

Also, that Roots and Krit track was hot, count me as part of the thread's hive mind that loving loves Krit. I can't wait for a fresh album (i.e. not the R4 album release)

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I'm on the Freddie Gibbs bandwagon now, dled Miseducation and Str8 Killa No Filla, both go hard. I love Slanging Rocks, it's not really about Freddie's bars on that one, the retro (sounds 80s to me) beat is sick.

Finally listened to The Diagnosis and it's pretty good too, the review I read called it disjointed but it's a good tape, Pill's tied for my favourite MMG cat with Meek. I listened to it a couple of times but I have been listening to Gibbs fr like 2 days straight now. Ahhhhh the Freestyle tracks on Miseducation are mad.

I don't understand how people can say that there's no worthwhile hiphop (aka not "real hip hop") being made. There's been so much great poo poo this year; Return of 4eva, Section.80 and that MMJB tape were objectively awesome. I've enjoyed Free Gucci 2, Dreamchasers, Ferrari Boyz, Shaolin vs Wu Tang and W.A.R. Great time to be a hip hop fan imo.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Gotta say I'm really enjoying the 2Chainz tape, nice guests from T.I. and Meek (even though he spits basically the same bars from Dreamchasers, it just goes anyway). The Kreayshawn feature is pretty embarrassing but apart from the tape is sweet. I like the A$AP tape as well, nice variety of beats, it's a bit emo at points but there are some bangers on there.

Cold Day in Hell is... alright, there's nothing wrong with it but it just sounds like I'm listening to stuff Gibbs has done before. I was listening to it on repeat for like 5 hours when I was working on some uni stuff- which means it's nice to listen to but if it was standout I don't think I'd be able to work to it.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Just wanna reiterate that anybody who missed Curren$y's Verde Terrace earlier this year needs to get that poo poo. So loving chill, great beats, man I love that first verse on Sky Miles and Willie goes in too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc1MUr0Aix4

Got back into the tape in the last few days after downloading it at release, been listening to it on the move and when I'm jamming pretty much non-stop. I'm still listening to 2Chainz' TrueREALigion although every time I hear Kreayshawn on that Murder track it just makes me laugh, she can rap but her bars just kind of silly and repping white girl mob just sounds ridiculous.

Speaking of white people, has Mac Miller done anything of worth recently? I think he could be alright if he stayed on the Curren$y side of weed rap, as opposed to Wiz. but then again I think Curren$y is better because he's got experience and it informs his rhymes.

Fake Edit: Curren$y 30, Wiz 24, Mac 19. So yea, a lot of time to mature, or drop out. Lol think what Wiz will be like at 30, writing emo rhymes about getting pussy whipped and probably dumped by Amber Rose and yet he will probably spit exactly the same bars somehow.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Agreed posted:

I like that a lot, what am I liking (that is, if you don't mind, could you contextualize their music for me so I can try to figure out what's coming out today that I like so I can find more)? Also, I recognize that sample on the second song, where do I know that from...

The two dudes from this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a84r6be3p0 they're from Huntsville, Alabama. Man I love that tune, violin in hiphop is just great. I've been listening to iSLAND, it's nice but I don't think I'm gonna buy it. Interesting beats but they're bars don't really stand out to me.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

RollingBoBo posted:

it's that riding smoking music for you to smoke and ride to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfpohkHFB8Y

i listen to curren$y pretty much everyday. Pilot Talk, Pilot Talk II, Covert Coup, Verde Terrace all own and should be checked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvriUkKiKVs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdVZdkxxJEQ

From a while back, been on Covert Coup since release, love it. Bit low on funds atm so it's a mixtape flex these days. Got Independence Day, Ridgemont Fly, Return to the Winner's Circle, Fear and Loathing in NO, Smokee Robinson and Super Techmo Bowl. I still think Verde Terrace is the best tape Spitta's done, but ID and Ridgemont are great. I just put them all on shuffle anyway, I could listen to something like the intro to Ridgemont Fly that was just a 20 min loop of that music and Curren$y talking about anything.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Got like 5 Danny Brown tapes off DatPiff yesterday.I've loved XXX since the 3rd listen, was listening to it all Summer interspered with P-Money, Big K.R.I.T. and Three 6. I got C&S XXX, Bruiser Brigade and Monopoly work well but the rest didn't really catch my ear. I've been listening to a best of danny brown mixtape off DP. I haven't really gotten to know many of the tracks throughly yet, though Contra is a great tune, but I can just leave all of the Danny I have downloaded (minus C&S XXX) and not skip once.

Also I love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku9xOVw_TVc hoping to get the album for xmas- Curren$y give y'all enough free music so y'all shouldn't have to pirate quality music because he give you quality music every month :3: ok spitta

Edit: Does anyone else think that Young Roddy sounds almost the exactly the same as S.L.A.S.H.? I thought he was a woman for like 2 weeks.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 15, 2011

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Can't remember if it's been mentioned before, but Mr Muthafuckin Exquire's Lost in Translation is pretty drat great imo. I've been trying so hard not to get burned out on this tune in particular http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bzoyVKZaL4 when I first heard it I just wanted to listen to it on repeat. Other standouts for me on this tape are Chicken Spot Rock and Maltese Falcon Pt.1 and Pt.2. There's a sweet remix of Huzzah with Danny Brown, Das Racist and few others on it as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ijOe3sGEk&feature=related

On top of all that add this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5nCxdYgkFCE and it makes me very excited for the tape he's dropping on Christmas Day. Did I completely gloss over discussion of Exquire before or is this really the first mention of him in the thread?

Edit: also that butt (either but more the one with huzzah written on it) in the remix vid :drat:

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 23, 2011

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Jock Mocken posted:

yes but the new video is alright

even though it was over 10 pages ago, I posted on that very same page :doh: aaaand I only just realised the remix was actually on the tape as well(I kept thinking my mp3/wmp was repeating Huzzah more often than it should). oh well, poo poo is still fire and hopefully another late dipshit like me took notice this time. Despot, Kool A.D. and El-P kill it. Danny's verse is a liiittle bit samey and Heems is right in his last line "The worst rapper on this track: 3rd coolest"

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I listen to a lot of P Money, Money Over Everyone and Coin 2 Notes are excellent. K Koke is also good, get Pure Koke. Don't listen to much uk rap beyond those and old F64s these days.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

thunderthief posted:

Aside from a couple of fumbled lines (big dude) this poo poo is ruggedocious

Also props on the beat

Yea beat's hard, reminds me of the one for that new AlchemistxOh No video, but I think I like glorp's more. I liked that Pimpin Pen dude but I only looked up one of his vids on youtube and I wasn't really feeling it.

In other news just been jamming to some random Datpiff mixtape of Danny Brown tracks, dude's video game raps (lol) are on point see: Metal Gear Solid, Contra. I'm downloading a bunch of French Montana and Rich Forever atm, haven't heard any of either yet.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
No good foreign rap?

P Money fam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OklsD9Jcuu4 < - My absolute favourite P money tune but it's 12 mins on Coins 2 Notes. This is the only youtube version and the sound fucks up near the middle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SStV_7pQBJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--n2F20TJi4

There's a lot of great uk talent but they don't get enough promotion outside of SBTV, dance tracks and random club gigs.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
As a Gucci fan who's jams are Free Gucci 2:The Brrrtish Edition, Writings on the Wall and Trap House- I like Trap Back. Can't wait to see what all these videos Gucci's promised, I can guess there's going to be cars, chains and waka though.

Does anyone have a link for that video for a song that Gucci features on early in his career? I think the song is by a group of guys and Gucci fts by himself, they're in a grassy area, there might've been a camper van there. I've youtubed and googled for what seems like half an hour trying to find something earlier than even 2009.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

chopper city posted:

I honestly don't know how many vids there are of Gucci in a park rapping but this is probably it.

http://youtu.be/HUIJ2RtAquI

My dude. Been a while since I've seen this one, must've imagined the camper van hah

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
People leaving out some of my favs, namely- Verde Terrace and Independence Day. I also really like Super Techmo Bowl but that may not be for everyone.

Really the only answer is that Curren$y has released so much free poo poo that you might as well skim through as much as you can until you find a tape you particularly like.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Bulging Nipples posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNQWQSwmow

He's not really bad or anything just pretty plain. Anyone from Seattle gets a nostalgia smile watching that video though

There's not enough semaphore in rap

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

phractured posted:

I don't care what anyone says. Hopsin has bars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDTY8NqgYY

I haven't hear anyone go off like that in a while. I don't understand people who can defend Danny Brown and then poo poo talk Hopsin. Danny Brown sucks massively, and he looks like way more of an emo bitch than Hopsin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nngSuIt8UFU - not as technical as the original but I think Danny makes up for it with personality. Yea he might rap a bit too much about his dick on XXX but he did release music before that. Best Of The Hybrid (an unofficial compilation I think) off DatPiff has a huge variety of DB tracks. I will also vouch for Detroit State of Mind pts 1 &4 (only ones I have lol).

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I really want it but my internet is killing me atm. Got about 4 hours and 58 mins left on the download :geno:

In better news, I got really into Schoolboy Q over the last week or so. The countless reccs in this thread finally made it through to me. Habits and Contradictions is sahweeeet. Gonna out myself as a moron here, but for a while my eyes would glaze over whenever I saw ppl talking about Q, thinking that ppl were on about Schoolly D for some reason.

Edit: best songs off H&C are clearly: Druggys Wit Hoes Again, Hands on the Wheel and There He Go.

Edit2: I'm also partial to Sex Drive, beat sounds like a Benga/Magnetic Man tune. Also, Lex Luger is the producer on Grooveline pt.1 :monocle: Never would've guessed from the song alone.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 5, 2012

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
It's just a real nice tape. It's like Return of 4eva but just tighter all over, actually I think I still prefer R4 because of the length and Get Right/Highs and Lows/A.N.I.G.G.E.R. are my favourite KRIT songs. Still tho, really like the 4eva theme song and 1986 but I'm sure that will change since it's only been a day hah.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I was catching up on Big Ghost Chronicles and his end of year got me downloading Blue Chips finally, can't believe I waited so long. I've just had it on loop most of the day.

Anyway thanks fake ghostface for making me a fan of the guy I no longer consider just a white ghostface.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
New K.R.I.T. : http://soundcloud.com/bigkrit/sets/big-krit-i-got-this-here

Goes hard with a G-Funk vibe to the beat. I wonder what release it's going to be on, I doubt he'd be throwing out something from the album this early.

Edit: The clean version isn't bad either (let it run on and it plays automatically)

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

The Rooster posted:

He said it was his first single so... hopefully 4evanaday was the first part of his album promotional push, and this is a follow-up.

Yea you're right actually, we're only like 3 months from release. Boobie Miles got released a couple of months before 4evanaday didn't it?

Have we seen the artwork for Live From The Underground yet? The cover for 4ND was released with Boobie Miles.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Best part of SXSW: Nardwuar interviews. A$AP upped yesterday, Action Bronson today.

http://youtu.be/Maz8clo6Pcc

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

alansmithee posted:

schoolboy q's album, which i think came out this year. and i could see gunplay releasing something better based on his pre-mixtape mixtape.

but either way it's a ridiculous album and sounds surprisingly polished. also i'm lugubrious is the second-best chorus ever in rap

Copped it about half-way through listening on bandcamp. I really like it but it's pissing me off that I don't have any substances around to go with it.

Edit: Nardwuar vs. Danny Brown - gently caress yes

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Nardwuar is on one hell of a roll, Kendrick Lamar is up on his channel now. Can't wait to see who else he got, I'm hoping for Big K.R.I.T. again and Earl Sweatshirt

Edit: rewatching the DB interview - Nardwuar's "ba-boom" is the best. I would kill for some kind of buddy comedy with Nardwuar and Danny.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Freddie Gibbs is playing in Central London this Friday, tickets are only £6.50. Shame my friends are generally loving waste and have no idea who Freddie Gibbs is. Should I go alone?

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Seeing Freddie Gibbs on my lonesome Friday and it's going to be loving sick. In other news, downloaded a bunch of Sir Michael tapes and The Cool Kids' Gone Fishing off datpiff after the posts above (liked Mike from his verses on Jet World Order but hadn't looked into his solo stuff). Going through them now, still on Premier Politics and it owns, great for the weather today.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Trip Report: Gibbs' first UK show was mad. Played Slammin, What It Be Like, Thuggin, Neighbourhood Ho's, some sick acapellas and some new stuff that I don't remember the names of. There were snippets of the beat for Born 2 Roll but he didn't do it :( (one of my favourites). Cheap ticket (£7) but the drinks jheeeez - £12 for a double vodka redbull and a bottle of Stella!

Some nasty cold flared up a couple of days ago but I downed a cup of Lemsip before I started drinking at home and it was all good. GANGSTER GIBBS.

Edit: Oh yea, he opened with Rob Me A N*gga which was pretty awkward to leave out the n-words (when singing along obviously) but still, madness

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 14, 2012

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Any sign of a new Curren$y x Alchemist tape? Today should be the day obviously

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks again to whoever linked me that SYS boys vid, enjoying it right now. That, Photoshoot, Gucci Time remix and Recently/Vampire are my favourite Gucci tunes. Do you think he'll ever create anything as good now? He's out of prison for a bit, gently caress BAYTL, Trap Back was alright. I want new Gucciiii.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
New Goodie Mob is kinda lame, too much Cee-Lo. I really only listen to Soul Food these days though and I don't think they're going to make anything like it again, Fight To Win is like World Party plus even more bullshit.

Here's a link for the vid since it's top of the page

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
R.I.P. MCA

Worst loving news, I thought he had beat it a few year ago :sigh:

Edit: I was listening to HSC pt.2 again like 2 days ago. Still a good album, no Paul's Boutique or Hello Nasty mind, but it was a nice listen.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 4, 2012

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Man this sucks, Beastie Boys are what got me back into hip-hop like 5 years ago. Got a few albums, it was the song Get It Together with Q-Tip that led to The Tribe and his solo stuff, that somehow led to ODB and from then I was set.

Wish I could've seen them, that's part of why this is so hard, not only did a Beastie Boy die, the group is dead, there's no way to replace MCA.

I wanna go out and party tonight though, somewhere where it's Beasties only.

Edit: what happened to The Mix Up with vocals? great album, maybe vocals wouldn't have added anything but I still want to know

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 4, 2012

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
It was a House Party remix. I've listened through the tape once and nothing really stood out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Now that we're almost half way through 2012, I feel comfortable saying that XXX was the best release of last year. Outer Space to EWNESW is perfect imo, not that rest of it isn't great. There's a couple of tracks (Fields and Bruiser Brigade) that I don't always want to listen to with the rest of the album but they're still good their own.

Fake edit: love the beat on Die Like A Rockster

• Locked thread