Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I have already deactivated the Voice integration. Not only is it worthless to me (see here and here), but while it was active, my incoming calls all went straight to voicemail. Google Voicemail, at least, but still...

So now I'm debating switching my Voice account back to my primary Google account and washing my hands of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't really get the point of integration if you have a GV account and people are already calling its number. It seems like all it does is save you from running the GV app on your phone, and I certainly wouldn't want Sprint to get its hands on my GV account to begin with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

diospadre posted:

I don't really get the point of integration if you have a GV account and people are already calling its number. It seems like all it does is save you from running the GV app on your phone, and I certainly wouldn't want Sprint to get its hands on my GV account to begin with.

Google Voice not integrated with Sprint doesn't always play completely nice with Any Mobile Any Time, so there is a possibility on using more minutes.

Otherwise, its a great feature more for your average person who wouldn't look into it otherwise or wants to keep their sprint number.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Here's my scenario with GV. I gave work my google voice number because I don't want them calling my cell phone. I also call MAYBE a few people from work with that number. Is it even worth my time integrating it or should I just keep the option that lets me choose between calling from my Sprint or Google number?

Also, I rarely use my gmail account as it is (or the other two I have) but I do use my roadrunner email a lot. Is there any way I can integrate my roadrunner email into my gmail account? If I do that, can I also set it up to where it sends from my rr address and NOT my gmail address as the return address?

I feel like I've asked this before but a search didn't find anything. Sucks getting old, lol... :tinfoil:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Currently HTC is having problems (again) keeping their drat phones in stock, so likely Samsung is doing heavy subsidization of the Epic because the numbers for the phone are likely much higher since no one can sell the Shift (even sprint.com is out). It is likely working, because I can no longer order Epics for my store, they are backordered.

I would think this has to do with the 3D coming out and them allocating resources to it rather than building more regular EVOs.

Duckman2008 posted:

Please remember I work for 3rd party, not Sprint corporate. They don't just tell me stuff like that in advance.

If it's anything like the original EVO, the people at corporate will be under such a tight NDA they won't even be able to acknowledge it exists until it launches. Someone I knew there had to tell me that they hadn't heard of it a week before launch even when it had been publicly announced 3 months prior and the launch date had been known forever.

Part of me wonders if it's pushed out to later in June now so that it comes out after the port-in credit is over. I can't think they'd want to let people get the extra credit on the new flagship phone.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 6, 2011

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.

The Entire Universe posted:

Am I able to switch to an EPRP plan from my current regular-employer-discount plan? Looks like I could save about $15 monthly with that, which adds up to $180 a year - something I would be stupid not to grab.

My upgrade was "reset" last week when I called into Retentions and told them in no uncertain terms I felt I'd been swindled paying for an Epic. Felt good.

Whoa, can you tell me more? I bought a transform like a moron (I didn't look at this thread beforehand). I hate it and can't wait to get something else. I would love to get a Nexus S or Evo 3D. I'm well outside of my 30 day window, though. I've been a sprint customer for almost 9 years, if that matters.

Did you just say "This phone is a lovely piece of poo poo, let me buy another phone!"

Thanks.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

thisdude23 posted:

Here's my scenario with GV. I gave work my google voice number because I don't want them calling my cell phone. I also call MAYBE a few people from work with that number. Is it even worth my time integrating it or should I just keep the option that lets me choose between calling from my Sprint or Google number?
This is pretty much my scenario, and the Sprint deal probably isn't worth it for you. If you decide to make your Sprint number a Google Voice number, you'll lose your work number. The only other option is to make your work number your Sprint number, meaning every call you make (regardless of whether or not you have the app installed) will show up as your work number. I suspect you don't want this, either.

What you're doing right now is pretty much the best you can hope for in your scenario.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love the GV integration. Some hotel advertisement somewhere printed their number incorrectly...as my number. I get random calls from people who not only want to make a reservation, but also won't believe me when I say that I am not the hotel. Even when I say it's the wrong number, they read it off to me, and I say "I know, but it's wrong, you want <correct number>".

Now I have unknown numbers screened, and I can block each one as they come in while I'm at my desk at work. Calls from friends come in as normal, texts work fine, and I even screen calls from coworkers, but without the voice prompt.

I also like being able to respond to texts from my browser and make calls using my desk mic.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the GV integration.

Note - I've had my GV number for years and have never actually given it out for anything other than a craigslist ad a long time ago. Obviously if I expected calls on that number, it wouldn't have made as much sense to switch (but the GV number stays active for a little while - long enough to tell people to use the new number).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
About the launch of the EVO 3D I have to say that if they release it in late June or after it would be bad timing with vacation season starting. Even early June is cutting it close. I just don't see them going later than June 5th or 12th.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

Duckman2008 posted:

Google Voice not integrated with Sprint doesn't always play completely nice with Any Mobile Any Time, so there is a possibility on using more minutes.

Otherwise, its a great feature more for your average person who wouldn't look into it otherwise or wants to keep their sprint number.

I haven't used Google Voice before as I didn't want to be bothered with 2 different phone numbers. I am interested in the features and the Sprint integration solves the 2 numbers issue for me. I'm a little skeptical though with all the problems reported here and elsewhere. If I try out the GV integration is it easy to roll it back if it isa problem or I hate it for some reason?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking into getting the Nexus S 4G but I'm new to postpaid I have a few questions.

1. I don't have 4G where I live, I'm sure this won't make a difference and I can just use 3G, right?

2. I'd like to get on the EPRP plan for $59.99. How would I go about doing this? I found a random rep's e-mail and 3 digit code but I don't know if it would work since it seems to be about 2 years old.

3. When I entered the rep's info into Sprint's EPRP site, the phone selection seems to be pretty limited. Should I just wait until the Nexus S 4G is out for a while before getting an account or can I set up an EPRP account and have the phone already? I'd like to waive the activation fee if possible and it seems I can do that online.

4. Would I have to pay for my first month up front such as with pre-paid or do I start paying in June?

Thanks!

mtr
May 15, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm looking into getting the Nexus S 4G but I'm new to postpaid I have a few questions.

1. Yes you can just use 3G.
2. Chappy is a Sprint employee of some sort and posted this earlier in the thread.

Chappy posted:

Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.

3. I think EPRP is out of stock of the higher end phones fairly often. I would imagine they would have the Nexus S in stock when it launches, but you might have to be quick ordering it.
4. I can't remember how this worked, but I think your first bill will include two months of service. Don't quote me on that, though.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

ThermoPhysical posted:

1. I don't have 4G where I live, I'm sure this won't make a difference and I can just use 3G, right?

2. I'd like to get on the EPRP plan for $59.99. How would I go about doing this? I found a random rep's e-mail and 3 digit code but I don't know if it would work since it seems to be about 2 years old.

3. When I entered the rep's info into Sprint's EPRP site, the phone selection seems to be pretty limited. Should I just wait until the Nexus S 4G is out for a while before getting an account or can I set up an EPRP account and have the phone already? I'd like to waive the activation fee if possible and it seems I can do that online.

4. Would I have to pay for my first month up front such as with pre-paid or do I start paying in June?

Thanks!

1. yes, also clearwire seems to be building and activating new wimax towers again so you might get it in the future

2. i can help you with this, send me an email at alman84 @ gmail.com and i'll send you the info

3. you might be better off waiting until it actually comes out, but duckman2008 is probably a better resource for this question

4. another duckman2008 question

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

brc64 posted:

This is pretty much my scenario, and the Sprint deal probably isn't worth it for you. If you decide to make your Sprint number a Google Voice number, you'll lose your work number. The only other option is to make your work number your Sprint number, meaning every call you make (regardless of whether or not you have the app installed) will show up as your work number. I suspect you don't want this, either.

What you're doing right now is pretty much the best you can hope for in your scenario.

Good deal, thank you. :cool:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mtr posted:

1. Yes you can just use 3G.
2. Chappy is a Sprint employee of some sort and posted this earlier in the thread.

3. I think EPRP is out of stock of the higher end phones fairly often. I would imagine they would have the Nexus S in stock when it launches, but you might have to be quick ordering it.
4. I can't remember how this worked, but I think your first bill will include two months of service. Don't quote me on that, though.

The first bill would include two months? So it would be $120 + tax and fees and not $60 + tax and fees?

Alman posted:

1. yes, also clearwire seems to be building and activating new wimax towers again so you might get it in the future

2. i can help you with this, send me an email at alman84 @ gmail.com and i'll send you the info

3. you might be better off waiting until it actually comes out, but duckman2008 is probably a better resource for this question

4. another duckman2008 question

It's good that there'll hopefully be 4G here soon, but 3G's good.

Sounds good! I'll wait until I can get the Nexus S 4G or see what's up with the EPRP + Nexus S first.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

td4guy posted:

Looks like the one on the right will be coming out on June 5th.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/05/motorola-intros-dualing-portrait-qwerty-android-options-for-spri/

If the Titanium can be rooted, I'm buying the gently caress out of that. I doubt it can be, though.

I've had the Evo since launch day, and I still miss my Nokia e71's keyboard. Why couldn't the Arrive have been an android phone? :(

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
One of my guys dropped his EVO4G on Tuesday. The screen's totally shredded. His line is available for an upgrade, but he's totally not sold on anything but the EVO3D or the next gen Galaxy II device as a real upgrade, and those seem too far out. Has anyone here swapped a screen on one instead of letting a cell repair place do it? The local places want $120 which is a little high in my opinion.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

El_Matarife posted:

One of my guys dropped his EVO4G on Tuesday. The screen's totally shredded. His line is available for an upgrade, but he's totally not sold on anything but the EVO3D or the next gen Galaxy II device as a real upgrade, and those seem too far out. Has anyone here swapped a screen on one instead of letting a cell repair place do it? The local places want $120 which is a little high in my opinion.
Won't sprint replace it for around the same price? I can never remember how that works.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
gently caress.

I just called retentions regarding my abysmal cell service at home, and the guy I talked to said that the signal booster won't actually work for me, since I am not even close enough to a cell tower to get a signal to bounce off.

This means that for as long as I live where I am at, I get effectively no cell service and my battery dies super fast. What a pain in the rear end.

Why would it need to hook into my internet anyways if it needed to be near a cell tower?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Won't sprint replace it for around the same price? I can never remember how that works.

I can burn the upgrade on his account to get a replacement for $200, but he'd be stuck with the same phone for another year. The no contract price for the EVO4G is still $450.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
He means a sprint store will replace the screen on the broken evo for $100.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

nate fisher posted:

About the launch of the EVO 3D I have to say that if they release it in late June or after it would be bad timing with vacation season starting. Even early June is cutting it close. I just don't see them going later than June 5th or 12th.

I imagine the release date hasn't been announced because they don't want it to kill the Nexus sales. The structure of the Best Buy preorder plan seems to indicate this as well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Mistikman posted:

gently caress.

I just called retentions regarding my abysmal cell service at home, and the guy I talked to said that the signal booster won't actually work for me, since I am not even close enough to a cell tower to get a signal to bounce off.

This means that for as long as I live where I am at, I get effectively no cell service and my battery dies super fast. What a pain in the rear end.

Why would it need to hook into my internet anyways if it needed to be near a cell tower?
I've always understood the Airave (and Airvana) as being essentially VoIP to cellular adapters. That's the whole point. I could be wrong.. maybe it does need some faint Sprint signal to latch onto, but I'm reasonably sure that's not the case. I'd call again and talk to a different person.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

goku chewbacca posted:

Once you've closed your account or have a new phone activated, open the dialer on the deactivated Evo and type ##786#, Menu>reset. Type in your MSL (master subsidy lock). This will perform a factory reset, remove any of your account information programming and have the phone startup the Hands Free Activation process for the new owner.

You can call customer service and get your MSL if you tell them you want to perform an RTN on your hone to sellvit on the used market. Or download a terminal program from the market and type in 'getprop' no quotations. Scroll up and find the line that looks something like
[rsl.MSL]:123456
That's your 6-digit MSL.
There's also an app in the Market called MSL Reader now that will look it up for you :)

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Hdip posted:

He means a sprint store will replace the screen on the broken evo for $100.

He called the local official Sprint store with the "repair" checkbox and they said they won't replace screens onsite, mail in replacement only and it's only for customers with insurance anyway. It's entirely possible he talked to the wrong guy.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 6, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How is the htc evo? I won't be able to get the nexus after all. My only choice it's the evo or lg optimus s.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is the htc evo? I won't be able to get the nexus after all. My only choice it's the evo or lg optimus s.

If those are your only choices get the EVO. It's nice, quick, easy to root, and has some nice roms as well.

I mean the Optimus S is very nice as well, but if you have the option to get an EVO do it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evil Crouton posted:

I haven't used Google Voice before as I didn't want to be bothered with 2 different phone numbers. I am interested in the features and the Sprint integration solves the 2 numbers issue for me. I'm a little skeptical though with all the problems reported here and elsewhere. If I try out the GV integration is it easy to roll it back if it isa problem or I hate it for some reason?

I think they'll fix the problems, I would just wait a few weeks for the kinks to be ironed out. Sprint and Google seem to be squabbling over who is liable over what issues.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks!

Sprint is postpaid, so you do not pay for the plan upfront. The only thing you pay for day of signing up for Sprint is the phone cost and any possible deposits (if you have good credit no worries there).

El_Matarife posted:

He called the local official Sprint store with the "repair" checkbox and they said they won't replace screens onsite, mail in replacement only and it's only for customers with insurance anyway. It's entirely possible he talked to the wrong guy.

I don't work much with tech stuff, but Sprint tech seems to change monthly on what they will do. They used to do screen replacements for people without insurance for about $130ish, but I don't think they do it any more (cost reasons i guess). I would recommend finding a good phone repair shop (which is hard, most of them are sketchy). There's one near me that does iPhones, is reputable, and will do other smartphones as well, so that may be a good way to search for one.

Btw, Sprint is listing the Stylus as an "optional accessory" for the Evo View 4G. Bummer.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 6, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is postpaid, so you do not pay for the plan upfront. The only thing you pay for day of signing up for Sprint is the phone cost and any possible deposits (if you have good credit no worries there).

awesome! is the eprp pricing available at places like radio shack or is it online only?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I posted a bit ago I think about having a, "F" key on my Evo Shift that works ~50% of the time you press it. This is something I can get a phone replacement for correct (without having to pay the TEP deductible)?

Further to that, if my phone was to have been bitten by my dogs today resulting in cosmetic damage only, will I still be able to get the phone replace for free due to the above reason?

:sigh:

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Regarding Google Voice integration:

Sprint posted:

"We are happy to bring an integrated Google Voice experience on Sprint CDMA phones to millions of Sprint customers.

"Some customers have not been able to access Google Voice because their accounts are public sector/government accounts (including teachers, military, firemen, etc.) or corporate accounts. This was done to accommodate corporations or organizations responsible/liable for paying the bill.

"However, we're also aware that customers who receive a discount through their corporation or organization (including teachers, military, firemen, etc.) but are personally liable for their account/bill have also been unable to access Google Voice. We are working to address that unintended consequence and expect to have that changed in our systems soon.

"We also are working with corporations and public sector accounts that are liable for paying the bill to make Google Voice available if they would like their employees/members to be able to access it. We will provide this capability if the corporation/organization liable for the account approves it."

If you meet a customer who is experiencing problems accessing Google Voice and they DON'T have a corporate liable or government/public sector account, please have them contact Sprint Customer Care so that team may determine what is causing the issue and get that resolved for the customer.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

I've always understood the Airave (and Airvana) as being essentially VoIP to cellular adapters. That's the whole point. I could be wrong.. maybe it does need some faint Sprint signal to latch onto, but I'm reasonably sure that's not the case. I'd call again and talk to a different person.

CDMA is a highly synchronized technology. Every site is synchronized to a GPS clock.

It's possible that it needs to sync with a tower so that when you leave your home it can had off to a real tower. If there's nothing to hand off too, I can't see how it would matter. No idea, I would call back and try a different rep, worst that can happen is you get one and it actually doesn't work and you're no worse off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

I posted a bit ago I think about having a, "F" key on my Evo Shift that works ~50% of the time you press it. This is something I can get a phone replacement for correct (without having to pay the TEP deductible)?

Further to that, if my phone was to have been bitten by my dogs today resulting in cosmetic damage only, will I still be able to get the phone replace for free due to the above reason?

:sigh:

Always worth a try, but usually animals chewing on it kills warranty.

ThermoPhysical posted:

awesome! is the eprp pricing available at places like radio shack or is it online only?

Online only. Corporate stores can theoretically work with it, but it seems to be a crapshoot on which employees know anything about it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Online only. Corporate stores can theoretically work with it, but it seems to be a crapshoot on which employees know anything about it.

What if I bought the phone at Radio Shack but went online to sign up for EPRP, would it work that way or do I have to get the phone + plan online at the same time?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Should I be able to walk into a sprint store and get the Nexus S on sunday?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope, you have a 30 day guarantee regardless of where you got it from. Return it, go go go!

Even if they charge a restock fee, fyi it is worth it.

Returned it and got an Epic today. I'm a LOVING this loving phone.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Google and Sprint responded to the Google Voice issues:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/06/google-and-sprint-respond-to-google-voice-integration-issues/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

What if I bought the phone at Radio Shack but went online to sign up for EPRP, would it work that way or do I have to get the phone + plan online at the same time?

No. Stores can only sell you a phone at the cheap price if you sign up for plan and contract on the spot. And for a new EPRP plan i would bet you $10 Radioshack or any retail store would screw it up. Some people with existing EPRP have managed to upgrade via Radioshack or Best Buy, but the systems are supposed to kick them out, and they aren't going to go out of their way to try and sell it because no one makes commission on a phone sold to an EPRP account.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No. Stores can only sell you a phone at the cheap price if you sign up for plan and contract on the spot. And for a new EPRP plan i would bet you $10 Radioshack or any retail store would screw it up. Some people with existing EPRP have managed to upgrade via Radioshack or Best Buy, but the systems are supposed to kick them out, and they aren't going to go out of their way to try and sell it because no one makes commission on a phone sold to an EPRP account.

Ahh, okay. That makes sense then. I'll just go the online route. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

TLG James posted:

Should I be able to walk into a sprint store and get the Nexus S on sunday?

I don't really see why not