Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Is there any way to set up voice so that it is my voicemail but I use another app for text messaging?

E: I found an option that said something along the lines of "Receive texts on this phone" and unchecked it in web browser Voice. That should fix everything up the way I want, right?

That didn't work, So i just uninstalled voice. Its not like I'd ever check my voicemail anyway:v:

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

Upgrade time. Like an hour from now. Wife has an Evo, and a two-line data plan. I currently have a dumb phone.

Leaning hard toward the Evo Shift. I cannot type a 16 character alphanumeric password in to the Evo virtual keyboard. I've experimented with my wife's evo for an hour or more, and I cannot get used to the touchscreen.

Reassure me that I want an Evo Shift. I want to be able to be able to google poo poo in the car, and that is the overwhelming majority of what I will do with it.

This the way to go? I don't really care about call quality, since I don't really call people, I just want internet and schedule everywhere.

Is the Epic still not worth having in my circumstance?

I got my regular Evo on release day and got a Shift 2 weeks after they came out and sold the Evo on CL. I love the keyboard (it's pretty nice, but not as nice as my old BlackBerry- then again, what is?) and it gets much, much battery life vs. the Evo. It does everything I want it to do and it's pretty customizable. I've got CM7 on it and it runs fine at 1.2ghz (can boot and run benchmarks at 1.8 but it gets flaky after a while plus the battery life drops considerably when it's running that fast). I say go for it, especially if you're just going to be using it for web searches and GPS stuff. It's a great little phone and very quick!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

OptimusMatrix posted:

Dammit come on Surprise. 4G is slowly coming online in Phoenix but not quick enough for me.

More like Clearwire is putting random towers where they need to in order to keep their spectrum and pissing off people looking at the coverage map hoping it'll expand :mad:

It's sad looking at the coverage map around where I live and seeing the small areas of coverage and the gaps where I live and work and knowing I probably won't see 4G until Sprint goes LTE.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

datajosh posted:

More like Clearwire is putting random towers where they need to in order to keep their spectrum and pissing off people looking at the coverage map hoping it'll expand :mad:

There's no "use it or lose it" on auctioned spectrum.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been checking google every few days, but have they announced an Evo 3d release date? I'm currently phoneless waiting for it to release.

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious

900ftjesus posted:

There's no "use it or lose it" on auctioned spectrum.

Not the auctioned spectrum, the EBS. http://www.digitalcommunities.com/blogs/broadband-nation/Clearwire-Educational-Broadband-Service-Spectrum-121510.html

The deadline is today btw.

vvv Pretty sure its may '11.. may 1st 2011

hoonchops fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 2, 2011

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

hoonchops posted:

Not the auctioned spectrum, the EBS. http://www.digitalcommunities.com/blogs/broadband-nation/Clearwire-Educational-Broadband-Service-Spectrum-121510.html

may 11th is the deadline

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

hoonchops posted:

That makes a lot more sense.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm pretty tired of the stupid Sambia OS on my trusty Nokia E71, and think it's time to upgrade to a real smart phone since I'm already paying 75$ a month from ATT for data that I never use. Also, gently caress ATT.

I think I'm going to go back to Sprint, which I was on from 2003-2006, and just pick up an HTC Evo-- as I don't need the latest and greatest Evo 3D crap. Plus, I'd rather my phone be a slimmer EVO than an EVO Shift, as I keep it in my front pants pocket, and have gotten super spoiled by how slim the E71 was.

My questions are: do the employee discounts still work? Are there any Sprint Employees who would like to give me a referal here? Or do I have to look elsewhere for that? Also, should I just try my luck on finding a used HTC EVO, as I have never liked contracts (I may be moving soon, and Sprint might suck rear end in my new locale)?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

jeeves posted:

My questions are: do the employee discounts still work? Are there any Sprint Employees who would like to give me a referal here? Or do I have to look elsewhere for that? Also, should I just try my luck on finding a used HTC EVO, as I have never liked contracts (I may be moving soon, and Sprint might suck rear end in my new locale)?
Yes, you can do the EPRP thing mentioned in the OP, no problem. Go back a page or three and use one of our goon Sprint employee IDs. And you're stuck in a contract no matter what, so you might as well take advantage of that nice subsidized EVO price.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

td4guy posted:

Yes, you can do the EPRP thing mentioned in the OP, no problem. Go back a page or three and use one of our goon Sprint employee IDs. And you're stuck in a contract no matter what, so you might as well take advantage of that nice subsidized EVO price.

Stuck with contract questions:

Will they let my import my previous ATT number back to them? I've had the same number since I originally had sprint in 2003, it got imported to ATT in 2006, and I am wondering if the forcing you to do a contract counts towards that too, or just if you need a new number?

Or does ATT even loving allow porting of their numbers once they get their hooks on it to other carriers?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jeeves posted:

Stuck with contract questions:

Will they let my import my previous ATT number back to them? I've had the same number since I originally had sprint in 2003, it got imported to ATT in 2006, and I am wondering if the forcing you to do a contract counts towards that too, or just if you need a new number?

Or does ATT even loving allow porting of their numbers once they get their hooks on it to other carriers?

Of course AT&T allows porting.

You're stuck signing a contract for a new account no matter what (save for one horrible plan), and I strongly doubt having been a customer 5 years ago will affect that.

I'd consider the nexus s over the evo, too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

I've been checking google every few days, but have they announced an Evo 3d release date? I'm currently phoneless waiting for it to release.

$10 Says it is June 5th.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

$10 Says it is June 5th.

On a Sunday? The EVO rolled out on a Friday (though Friday is an awful day to release a phone, having to wait until Monday to receive it).

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I've heard June, but no specific dates. June makes sense since that has been the time of big phone releases for the last few years. I think the EVO, Pre, and Touch Pro 2 all were around the start of June.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

$10 Says it is June 5th.

Why is it always on Sundays? Question now is will it be $250 or more?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Slo-Tek posted:

Upgrade time. Like an hour from now. Wife has an Evo, and a two-line data plan. I currently have a dumb phone.

Leaning hard toward the Evo Shift. I cannot type a 16 character alphanumeric password in to the Evo virtual keyboard. I've experimented with my wife's evo for an hour or more, and I cannot get used to the touchscreen.

Reassure me that I want an Evo Shift. I want to be able to be able to google poo poo in the car, and that is the overwhelming majority of what I will do with it.

This the way to go? I don't really care about call quality, since I don't really call people, I just want internet and schedule everywhere.

Is the Epic still not worth having in my circumstance?

Thought I personally like the 4G's thinner profile and bigger screen, the Shift is a good phone if you have to have a physical keyboard.

Also, gently caress Samsung phones and gently caress anyone who still buys them after all the warnings given in this thread.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

900ftjesus posted:

That makes a lot more sense.
Sorry, got mixed up when I posted... still hate seeing those little specks of coverage on Clear's site though :v:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
For anyone in the Buffalo NY area, some pockets of 4G service have come up in spotty parts of Niagara County and an area of east Buffalo. I hope it gets better. Its right in my neighborhood but doesn't work what so ever in my house. I'm not sure why I would expect that.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
So sorry if this has been answered previously but I'm short on time for an answer.

We're looking to get the HTC Arrive for mom for Mother's Day. We're planning to get it from Amazon since its only $50 with a new 2-year agreement.

Whats the easiest way to port her number from US Cellular to Sprint if we are creating the new account through Amazon?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ninmeister posted:

For anyone in the Buffalo NY area, some pockets of 4G service have come up in spotty parts of Niagara County and an area of east Buffalo. I hope it gets better. Its right in my neighborhood but doesn't work what so ever in my house. I'm not sure why I would expect that.

Well, hot drat. Looks like those bastards will probably get me for a 4g phone this summer after all.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

$10 Says it is June 5th.

Why do you believe it is going to be that early in June? We were hinted the Nexus S was going to be an April deal and it turns out May 8th. Now we are hinted it will be a June release. What is making your decision on this?

Oh and looking at XDA devs on the 3D is really promising for a root, or at least a temp one. I recognize quite a few names from the ole' sammy moment root forum. I think I'm going to put my money on the 3D over the Nexus. I know it's a gamble on root but the dev team around the phone and the hatred I currently have for the Samsung Moment is enough to convince me the 3D is the superior choice even if it doesn't get a root.

I really wished Samsung would take the hint and just get some better people to do their software, because I love the company when it comes to TVs and monitors but they are a real poo poo hole when it comes to cellphones.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jaku78 posted:

Why do you believe it is going to be that early in June? We were hinted the Nexus S was going to be an April deal and it turns out May 8th. Now we are hinted it will be a June release. What is making your decision on this?

Because of the release of the EVO last year I would guess. Also Sprint never hinted at April for Nexus S. It was leaks about the Best Buy training that people took as April.

Also has anyone started taking pre-orders on the EVO 3D? I was looking at the other Nexus S the other day (I wanted my wife to know what one is before she picks her new phone) and if the Sprint version was white I would be tempted to get it for myself. I am still mad about losing my white EVO to TEP.

Also my wife said EVO 3D all the way. I can wait to play with it.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Venkmanologist posted:

So sorry if this has been answered previously but I'm short on time for an answer.

We're looking to get the HTC Arrive for mom for Mother's Day. We're planning to get it from Amazon since its only $50 with a new 2-year agreement.

Whats the easiest way to port her number from US Cellular to Sprint if we are creating the new account through Amazon?

I just saw a Mother's Day commercial for this and was wondering who buys cell phones/contracts for other people as gifts. Now I've got my answer, thank you!

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

I am pretty sure this is how it is supposed to go.

Venkmanologist posted:

Good to see that $50 is for new customers only. I was about to flip a loving wig.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jaku78 posted:

Beyond the timing corresponding with last years release, here is my theory (emphasize theory):
Instant rebates for Sprint stores were started in March and went to April 15th. The Echo then launched April 16th. Of course, instant rebates were extended, this time until May 7th. The Nexus S launches May 8th. Now instant rebates are extended until June 4th. So I'm theory something is launching or changing June 5th, I am betting its the Evo 3D.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is there any way for me to put a limit or block on my account to not allow 3G data overages? I basically use my MiFi as my primary internet connection, and have these nightmares of my computer deciding to just automatically download some massive update while connected to 3G, or have my iPhone associated to it and update apps without realizing how much I'm downloading then resulting in a massive Sprint bill.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What's the draw of this Evo 3D phone? Is it just because it is a super beefy phone, or are that many people really interested in THREE DIMENSIONAL IMAGING TECHONOLOGY on their phones that they will never ever use?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

jeeves posted:

What's the draw of this Evo 3D phone? Is it just because it is a super beefy phone, or are that many people really interested in THREE DIMENSIONAL IMAGING TECHONOLOGY on their phones that they will never ever use?

I'm pretty sure most people here want it for the power.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

I'm mostly interested in the power and the bump in screen resolution, but honestly the 3D thing has some potential in my mind for nifty new ideas with augmented reality, and with video chat. I think it would be a really neat experience to video chat with someone around the world with a pair of 3D phones/devices, and be able to show them your location with a 3D feed.

Plus, someone was showing off their $500 Fuji digital 3D point and shoot camera last year at a party I went to, so it would be cool to be able to just bust that out on my phone now. :v:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jeeves posted:

Dual CPU, 1GHZ Ram, qHD screen, and a chance to play with Sense 3.0. Why do you think people upgrade every year to a new iPhone? More power! I would rather have a Nexus S but the power of the EVO 3D is just too much to ignore.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am curious why some folks have a preference to the Nexus S? It seems there is a lot of Samsung hate here, but not for that specific phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

Is there any way for me to put a limit or block on my account to not allow 3G data overages? I basically use my MiFi as my primary internet connection, and have these nightmares of my computer deciding to just automatically download some massive update while connected to 3G, or have my iPhone associated to it and update apps without realizing how much I'm downloading then resulting in a massive Sprint bill.

Unfortunately not. My recommendation is disconnect your computer from it or turn off the mifi overnight.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

jeeves posted:

I am curious why some folks have a preference to the Nexus S? It seems there is a lot of Samsung hate here, but not for that specific phone?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Google controls all software support for this phone as opposed to Samsung placing their software on it. Since Google will be keeping tabs on this phone, it's expected to get the latest and greatest updates (that actually work), unlike Samsung that drags their feet through the mud to update their smartphones. People like it because they like the Samsung hardware but just can't stand the software that comes from them.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Can someone please tell me the best strategy for using my Epic in Mexico? I basically want it to ONLY do wifi, if I turn off '4G' and '3G Data' then I should be good? Though I will probably still be able to get texts (which cost something fairly outrageous).

Maybe I should disable auto roaming and make it Sprint only as well?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Venkmanologist posted:

Don't port the number right away. Just order the phone, new number and all. When it arrives and you've verified it's working and you've setup her contacts and stuff and she's happy with it, then port the number. You can do it by calling customer service or stopping in at a Sprint store.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jaku78 posted:

I really wished Samsung would take the hint and just get some better people to do their software, because I love the company when it comes to TVs and monitors but they are a real poo poo hole when it comes to cellphones.
I don't think their problem is just having poo poo developers. They definitely code up some weird poo poo, but I think they're better than sometimes given credit for.

Samsung's real problems are project management. Their goal was to sell Galaxy S phones on (or compatible with) every carrier in the world. They should've done that by making one phone, possibly with some hardware optionals, and made the only carrier-specific differences, aside from cosmetics, be radio compatibility.

Instead Samsung released something like ten unnecessarily different phones, the software of which is developed in ten forked code trees. You can have the best programmers in the world, and nothing short of sheer man power will keep ten development trees up to date with bug fixes and poo poo. Given that most of these devices are developed in Korea for export, and not actually used by Samsung engineers, they're unlikely to fix non-super-critical bugs due to lack of personal motivation.

Although the best programmers in the world probably wouldn't stick around since I imagine the stress of working on such a poorly managed project that lead them to greener pastures.

jeeves posted:

am curious why some folks have a preference to the Nexus S? It seems there is a lot of Samsung hate here, but not for that specific phone?
The Nexus S is a Google branded & developed phone, whose hardware OEM happens to incidentally be Samsung. This is distinct from it being a "Samsung phone" like the Galaxy S series. And as it turns out, that distinction eliminates 99% of the problems associated with Samsung phones.

Furthermore, I'm of the recent opinion that it's silly to purchase a non-US developed phone for use in the US market. Phones have an incredibly short development life cycle, given that they're obsolete on the market in 6-12 months. This means that all phones have bugs on release, some of which are hideous. Note that the Nexus S was not an exception here.

The difference is that when engineers use the very devices they develop for, day to day, these bugs get fixed because they notice the problems, are capable of debugging them, and have a personal incentive to fix them. The fact that Google engineers eat their own dog food is why bugs on the Nexus S get fixed relatively-timely, and the fact that Samsung's engineers in Korea use god-knows-what means that bugs on export devices for the US market never get fixed.

The same is true with Apple products, Palm HP, even RIM. I imagine Motorola as well, although I won't purchase their phones for other reasons. HTC, LG, and especially Samsung US devices? Crapshoot, at best.

Granted, that's just a general trend I've noticed and not a guarantee of quality on any specific device.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Eyecannon posted:

Can someone please tell me the best strategy for using my Epic in Mexico? I basically want it to ONLY do wifi, if I turn off '4G' and '3G Data' then I should be good? Though I will probably still be able to get texts (which cost something fairly outrageous).

Maybe I should disable auto roaming and make it Sprint only as well?

I believe you can put the phone into airplane mode, and then just manually turn on wifi. My understanding is that this will allow the phone to leave the CDMA radio off but still operate on Wifi.

Fake Edit: Yup, just tried it on my Epic. Putting the phone into airplane mode disables everything, but then manually turning on wifi will leave the airplane mode icon in place, but give the wifi connection only.

Edit 2: Texting does not work in this mode, though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ExcessBLarg! posted:

words

Actually thanks for this, as I've been using an E71 for almost 3 years and absolutely hate nokia's support for it, and you just explained pretty much why.

Looks like for me it is between an Nexus S and an HTC EVO 3d (or EVO if 3D is too expensive). I like the form factor of the EVOs over the Nexus S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't think their problem is just having poo poo developers. They definitely code up some weird poo poo, but I think they're better than sometimes given credit for.

Samsung's real problems are project management. Their goal was to sell Galaxy S phones on (or compatible with) every carrier in the world. They should've done that by making one phone, possibly with some hardware optionals, and made the only carrier-specific differences, aside from cosmetics, be radio compatibility.

Instead Samsung released something like ten unnecessarily different phones, the software of which is developed in ten forked code trees. You can have the best programmers in the world, and nothing short of sheer man power will keep ten development trees up to date with bug fixes and poo poo. Given that most of these devices are developed in Korea for export, and not actually used by Samsung engineers, they're unlikely to fix non-super-critical bugs due to lack of personal motivation.

Although the best programmers in the world probably wouldn't stick around since I imagine the stress of working on such a poorly managed project that lead them to greener pastures.

The Nexus S is a Google branded & developed phone, whose hardware OEM happens to incidentally be Samsung. This is distinct from it being a "Samsung phone" like the Galaxy S series. And as it turns out, that distinction eliminates 99% of the problems associated with Samsung phones.

Furthermore, I'm of the recent opinion that it's silly to purchase a non-US developed phone for use in the US market. Phones have an incredibly short development life cycle, given that they're obsolete on the market in 6-12 months. This means that all phones have bugs on release, some of which are hideous. Note that the Nexus S was not an exception here.

The difference is that when engineers use the very devices they develop for, day to day, these bugs get fixed because they notice the problems, are capable of debugging them, and have a personal incentive to fix them. The fact that Google engineers eat their own dog food is why bugs on the Nexus S get fixed relatively-timely, and the fact that Samsung's engineers in Korea use god-knows-what means that bugs on export devices for the US market never get fixed.

The same is true with Apple products, Palm HP, even RIM. I imagine Motorola as well, although I won't purchase their phones for other reasons. HTC, LG, and especially Samsung US devices? Crapshoot, at best.

Granted, that's just a general trend I've noticed and not a guarantee of quality on any specific device.

This is a great summery of what is wrong with Samsung phones and it should be in the OP and linked to every time someone says they are thinking about getting one.