Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah, I don't know how much it'll cost me though. If I renewed in June of 11, would I have the big honkin' $350 ETF? Or am I grandfathered in to the old fee?

If it's a 350 ETF then I might as well buy it new because its 550 new. If the ETF is anything under 350 then I would be better off trying to buy out.

e: gently caress me with a rusty spade. Sprint had a trial program where I could buy this bitch out for $165 (!!!!!!!) but it ended on 4/14.

Now I can't find anything on google regarding doing it after that date because it's flooded with the old news on that. The website says 338 days left until my upgrade. April 1 :dance:

You shouldn't have a $350 ETF, those didn't start until September. I got my line in August and my buyout is $165.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Duckman2008 posted:

You shouldn't have a $350 ETF, those didn't start until September. I got my line in August and my buyout is $165.

I was a brand new Sprint customer in August of 2010...I wonder how much it would be for me to "but out"/pay what's left of my prorated ETF fee.

I'm most likely ditching Sprint entirely...getting a GNex straight from Google and getting a StraightTalk plan. I looked at my usage, and I average under 500 MB a month in cell data, and ~50 minutes (and that's total, mobile-to-mobile, night+weekend, and anytime.) It just doesn't make sense for me to pay $80 a month, when I can get all I need for less than $50.

Plus, everything I've heard is that the GSM GNex is better than the CDMA, though that may just be Verizon's CDMA version, not Spint's.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

plester1 posted:

Is it possible/a good idea to buy out my contract if I'm on EPRP? I'd love to get a Galaxy Nexus, I'm about 18 months into a contract with an LG Optimus S. I'm waffling between waiting it out until the contract ends or biting the bullet soon for the GalNex.

Yes. I just upgraded from an Optimus S and having a new phone really highlights what a piece of crap that phone is.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
I'm kind of confused over the number of people jumping on the galaxy nexus bandwagon with the S3 announcement so close. I'm not saying it will hands down be a better phone, but it is probably worth seeing before making a decision.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Giblet posted:

I'm kind of confused over the number of people jumping on the galaxy nexus bandwagon with the S3 announcement so close. I'm not saying it will hands down be a better phone, but it is probably worth seeing before making a decision.

As I see it there's always something better on the horizon and no matter how good the GSIII is it'll still be a non nexus Samsung phone so buyer beware as far as I'm concerned. With that said, my contract isn't up until June so I personally am taking a wait and see approach. But if my contract was up already the galaxy nexus seems like the phone to get.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Giblet posted:

Because it is a Nexus phone (if I ever got another Android phone I would only go Nexus), and no one knows for sure when S3 will hit Sprint. That said I think whoever the powers that be are stupid for not doing one release date for Nexus phones. Sprint is getting a phone that came out 6 months ago. There is no hype, and most consumers don't care. Is it just me, or has Google really missed a opportunity to make the Nexus the obvious Android flagship phone?

Edit:

Last night hanging with a friend I haven't seen in a year. He has a EVO, and notices that right now I have a iPhone (I had a EVO last time I saw him). He asks me what phone should he get this summer. He never even heard of a Nexus, and has no idea of the advantages of a Nexus. It drives me crazy. I think I talked him into getting a Nexus (well until he saw me working ATV with my iPhone, but I think Nexus is a better fit for him), but I feel like Google is missing a golden opportunity.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 27, 2012

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Giblet posted:

Because the Nexus phones get more updates, more often, and faster than OEM phones. The Galaxy Nexus should get Jelly Bean when it comes out or very shortly after, and it will probably officially get Key Lime Pie. And it's stock android instead of some OEM's skin/altered version Android. A lot of us are preferring stock Android over that stuff.

Also because Samsung has a lovely record when it comes to fixing bugs and releasing updates. They have had issues with releasing updates that end up bricking phones, then pulling those updates and then delaying the re-release of that update for months and months. That have released a new phone to replace an existing phone instead of fixing bugs and known issues.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Giblet posted:

Let me frame this for you via a story:

I got my GNex and, while going through all the apps setting up my accounts etc, I opened up the "email" app and clicked the signature setting to clear it out.

Instead of "SENT FROM MY GALAXY NEXUS 4G LTE ON THE NOW NETWORK!" guess what the default email signature was? loving blank, that's what it was.

This is the Galaxy Nexus Experience (TM).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jensen posted:

This is the Galaxy Nexus Experience (TM).

I do wish Google would flex some muscle, and refuse to allow carriers to brand the phones with their logo. If Apple can do it why can't Google?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Googles flexibility vs Apple on things like that (and everything else), is why it such high marketshare.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sanchez posted:

Googles flexibility vs Apple on things like that (and everything else), is why it such high marketshare.
Ayup. Apple is a dick to work with from the manufacturer/ carrier point of view. They can dictate the terms, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it because, well, they're Apple.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sharkytm posted:

Ayup. Apple is a dick to work with from the manufacturer/ carrier point of view. They can dictate the terms, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it because, well, they're Apple.

& thank God they do that. Apple would rather pull their phone off Sprint than to let them brand it. I respect that. I just hate seeing the Nexus phones go from Google on the back to Sprint. Just a little thing I know, but Google also bent to Verizon over Google Wallet on the Nexus.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 27, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So my contract is up in November and I really want a GNex. Are we saying that I can buy out my contract and get a Nexus now?

I have the EVO 4G so I'm not dying for a new phone but I'm curious as to what the price would be if I went for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I do wish Google would flex some muscle, and refuse to allow carriers to brand the phones with their logo. If Apple can do it why can't Google?
Google could try, but they don't want to for a variety of reasons. For instance, Sprint wouldn't really be hurting if a phone with ~1% of the US market share isn't on their network, so Sprint can dictate their terms or just tell Google to piss off since there's still plenty of Android phones on Sprint. (I don't have a source for that 1%, but Ice Cream Sandwich adoption is on all of 3% of Androids globally, with the majority likely being Galaxy Nexuses and Android is about 50% of the market.) On top of that, Google's revenue stream comes from advertising, with phone sales being a tiny portion of it. App sales aren't even a huge source of revenue. So Google wants as many Android phones out there as is possible, meaning it's in their best interest to concede putting "Sprint" on the back of their phone. Apple, on the other hand, wasn't really hurting much without Sprint, since they get quite a bit of money from hardware sales as well as app sales.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Also, does it really matter that it says Sprint on it? I don't give a rats rear end about what my phone looks like. I'm going to put a case on it anyway. If I really cared about phone aesthetics I would have bought an over expensive iDevice.

I'd much rather have the hardware/software be up to par than worry about what the stupid case says.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

FlyingCheese posted:

Also, does it really matter that it says Sprint on it? I don't give a rats rear end about what my phone looks like. I'm going to put a case on it anyway. If I really cared about phone aesthetics I would have bought an over expensive iDevice.

I'd much rather have the hardware/software be up to par than worry about what the stupid case says.

I do agree that the software is more important than aesthetics (one of reasons I left Android). I don't want to turn this into what you called an over expensive iDevice vs. Android (by the way isn't the Nexus the exact same price as iPhone 4S?), but why can't you have both software and aesthetics? This excuse of not caring about what your phone looks like is getting old, but I would accept it if Android delivered better on the software side or even had a resemblance of a eco-system.

Also I said this was just a small detail I didn't like. Would it stop from buying a Nexus phone? Nope.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 27, 2012

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

My brother is pretty sure he wants to go from his Touch Pro 2 on Sero 500 to an iPhone 4S. Other than not being 4G-capable and still having to pay the $50/month (including the 4G data plan) regardless, is there anything else we should know about the iPhone 4G on Sprint?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Well, I was planning on picking up a Nexus once it showed up for employee purchase, but now I may be able to get something else. The HTC rep stopped in yesterday on my day off, and since nobody was enthused about selling HTC phones, he was going to try and get our store one of the new LTE EVOs.

Since everyone else in the store has an Epic Touch or an iPhone 4S, and I've got a now end-of-life EVO 3D, I'm hoping I can talk my boss into letting me have it. If he comes through.

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

DanAdamKOF posted:

My brother is pretty sure he wants to go from his Touch Pro 2 on Sero 500 to an iPhone 4S. Other than not being 4G-capable and still having to pay the $50/month (including the 4G data plan) regardless, is there anything else we should know about the iPhone 4G on Sprint?

My understanding is that he would need to be on SERO Premium for 4G phones ($50), plus the data plan ($10). But maybe I'm all confused.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

AJzer posted:

My understanding is that he would need to be on SERO Premium for 4G phones ($50), plus the data plan ($10). But maybe I'm all confused.

No, it's sero premium ($40) plus the $10 smartphone fee (=$50). That's it.

Also that $10 fee is all smartphones on sero, too, as of when the iphone came out, so the only way out of it is an old 3g phone, not just any 3g phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Huh. Maybe I'll cash in some stock (My employer's stock has gone up $11 since January :dance:) in a week or two. No sense calling today asking for it since it's the end of the month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

So my contract is up in November and I really want a GNex. Are we saying that I can buy out my contract and get a Nexus now?

I have the EVO 4G so I'm not dying for a new phone but I'm curious as to what the price would be if I went for it.

Your buyout is probably $70, and the evo buy backs at sprint for $70. Buy it out, get a nexus.

TVs Ian posted:

Well, I was planning on picking up a Nexus once it showed up for employee purchase, but now I may be able to get something else. The HTC rep stopped in yesterday on my day off, and since nobody was enthused about selling HTC phones, he was going to try and get our store one of the new LTE EVOs.

Since everyone else in the store has an Epic Touch or an iPhone 4S, and I've got a now end-of-life EVO 3D, I'm hoping I can talk my boss into letting me have it. If he comes through.

I've had reps give those promises for 3 years, haven't seen anything happen yet. They don't have the budget anymore.

AJzer
Nov 28, 2004
Tally Ho!

WoG posted:

No, it's sero premium ($40) plus the $10 smartphone fee (=$50). That's it.

Also that $10 fee is all smartphones on sero, too, as of when the iphone came out, so the only way out of it is an old 3g phone, not just any 3g phone.

Should probably update the OP then to show that the $30-$40-$50 SERO plan list includes the $10 smartphone fee. The FAQ and further language suggest that no matter what (with few exceptions, not listed), all plans with smartphones get a $10 addition.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AJzer posted:

Should probably update the OP then to show that the $30-$40-$50 SERO plan list includes the $10 smartphone fee. The FAQ and further language suggest that no matter what (with few exceptions, not listed), all plans with smartphones get a $10 addition.

Yeah, I'll fix it next week.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My wife has had a phantom voicemail notification on her Galaxy Nexus coming and going for the past several days. Right now it says she's got 2 voicemails, but when she checks, there's no messages. Anybody ever see this before?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is something wrong with the EPRP website or am I doing something wrong? Went through the steps in the OP and got logged into the system, but when I go to 'shop plans' I'm not given any of the cheaper options, and when I go to checkout I don't see a different place to put in the email/three digit code.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

$140 for contract buyout
$199 for the phone
$36 for the upgrade
Because I'm getting a new contract, $50 credit
Trade in NS4G: $70
Trade in Evo 3D: $100
Total for brand spankin' new GNex: $160

This is what I was quoted by the salesman at the corporate store in my city while we were out getting my girlfriend's GNex with her upgrade (I am so jelly) and now I'm really about to go through with it.

See the great thing about these phones is that unlike meth they leave your face looking normal.

e: I am going to need help re: my number. Can I port it out to Google Voice from the store? The rep said I wasn't going to be able to keep the number and would have to get a new one. So, can I port my current number out to GV during the process of terminating my contract, so that I'm not stuck with telling family repeatedly that I don't have my old number anymore?

(When it comes to phone numbers everyone I know has god damned alzheimer's)

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 28, 2012

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I went ahead and got a GSM Gnex from Google this evening. Though I still "own" four lines, I couldn't stand Sprints craptacular data speeds any longer. I know you were improving Sprint, but too little, too late. :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

$140 for contract buyout
$199 for the phone
$36 for the upgrade
Because I'm getting a new contract, $50 credit
Trade in NS4G: $70
Trade in Evo 3D: $100
Total for brand spankin' new GNex: $160

This is what I was quoted by the salesman at the corporate store in my city while we were out getting my girlfriend's GNex with her upgrade (I am so jelly) and now I'm really about to go through with it.

See the great thing about these phones is that unlike meth they leave your face looking normal.

e: I am going to need help re: my number. Can I port it out to Google Voice from the store? The rep said I wasn't going to be able to keep the number and would have to get a new one. So, can I port my current number out to GV during the process of terminating my contract, so that I'm not stuck with telling family repeatedly that I don't have my old number anymore?

(When it comes to phone numbers everyone I know has god damned alzheimer's)

Haha that rep is kind of sketchy, he is basically pushing you to do a false cancellation and add yourself as a new line instead of buying up your contract. Not necessarily bad, but he should have explained that the reasons why are A. The $50 credit is for new lines and B. he makes more commission (like, night and day more commission).

So I'm not saying don't do it, because I am literally doing the same thing, but don't let him bullshit you by saying you HAVE to cancel your number. It just works well since sprint offers google voice integration, so you can cancel your number but still keep your number still fully functional.

For the record you can sell the 3D and nexus S online for at least $200 each. Sprint won't match host hi obviously, a trade in is more of a convenience than anything. So that's up to you, but I would sell both phones online and just trade in some crappy flip phone to get the $50 credit.

And yeah, just go to google voice and go through the process of porting your number (google charges $20), it will auto cancel your line. If you need any help feel free to give me a PM, I can get you all the same discounts blah blah blah.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Your buyout is probably $70, and the evo buy backs at sprint for $70. Buy it out, get a nexus.

I'll wait about two weeks for my next paycheck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Haha that rep is kind of sketchy, he is basically pushing you to do a false cancellation and add yourself as a new line instead of buying up your contract. Not necessarily bad, but he should have explained that the reasons why are A. The $50 credit is for new lines and B. he makes more commission (like, night and day more commission).

So I'm not saying don't do it, because I am literally doing the same thing, but don't let him bullshit you by saying you HAVE to cancel your number. It just works well since sprint offers google voice integration, so you can cancel your number but still keep your number still fully functional.

For the record you can sell the 3D and nexus S online for at least $200 each. Sprint won't match host hi obviously, a trade in is more of a convenience than anything. So that's up to you, but I would sell both phones online and just trade in some crappy flip phone to get the $50 credit.

And yeah, just go to google voice and go through the process of porting your number (google charges $20), it will auto cancel your line. If you need any help feel free to give me a PM, I can get you all the same discounts blah blah blah.

PM incoming!

e: All done :gizz:

This phone is pretty damned awesome. You wouldn't even know the display was a pentile display unless some gently caress told you.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 29, 2012

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

Went back to my Epic Touch after having the GNex for a few days. Months back, I had the EVO 3D for almost two weeks, exchanged it for an Epic Touch (and I think a lot of people here thought getting rid of the EVO 3D was going to be the worst thing ever at the time because Samsung lol).

I have CM9 on my Epic Touch, so it all came down to hardware, and I like the screen on the Epic Touch better (yes it’s lower resolution, but just looks better to me). I also like the hardware buttons, and for whatever reason seemed to get better battery life on the Epic Touch. Also I live in an area with great 4G so there’s that too.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
so my 3VO has a busted charging port... what are my options here? What an irritating loving design flaw. 4G had it, why was it not corrected?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

gaan kak posted:

so my 3VO has a busted charging port... what are my options here? What an irritating loving design flaw. 4G had it, why was it not corrected?

They replaced mine a few months ago, but I've got TEP, sooooooooo, your mileage may vary.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

I have an Evo Shift w/ CM7 that won't send or receive MMS. I had a hardware issue a few months ago and the issue persists after a phone replacement. It does work fine if I flash back to the stock Sense ROM. I've heard that something can get wedged that Sprint needs to fix internally. Would that fit this scenario? I know two others with the same phone and ROM, both work fine.
So re: this issue. I decided to disable Google's data backup's under Android's 'Privacy' settings. Doing so and a fresh install of CM7 fixed the above issue- strange.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gaan kak posted:

Take it to a store and see what they can do. That sideways poo poo is anathema to charging ports. If that fails, just get a Nexus S off ebay or here. It's a better phone on everything except paper, and the build quality is surprisingly sturdy despite having that characteristic Samsung lightness.

If you are due for an upgrade in the next couple months (unlikely since you have the 3D but maybe you got it off contract) Retentions might be able to help if you ask nicely and imply a new phone would help cement your business with Sprint.

Failing that you could just con someone on Craigslist into buying it (DO NOT DO THIS)

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I have a LG Optimus S. In recent months it's been acting up: randomly restarting itself, freezing a lot (especially when there's an incoming call), just being slow and cranky. It especially likes to just sort of freeze in the middle of the shut-down process and never actually fully turn itself off. About a week ago the Gingerbread update downloaded and I installed it, thinking it might improve the phone's performance. (I hadn't received or known about Sprint's previous attempt at updating to 2.3 back in September.) Since then it's had incredibly lovely battery life; I used to be able to make it all day (12+ hours) of moderate use. Now it gives me the "low battery" notice after 3 hours of almost no usage. Any suggestions for how to either get back to Froyo, or how to fix the battery issue?

I have an upgrade coming in September and am looking forward to getting rid of this thing, but I can't get a new phone before then and this is really useless to me with this level of performance.

Somewhat unrelated: Is there a timeline available for when/where Sprint will be adding new 4G coverage? It isn't available in my area right now and I'm wondering if I'll be able to take advantage of the 4G phones when I upgrade.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

brc64 posted:

My wife has had a phantom voicemail notification on her Galaxy Nexus coming and going for the past several days. Right now it says she's got 2 voicemails, but when she checks, there's no messages. Anybody ever see this before?

Yes, I have this problem as well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

GEMorris posted:

Yes, I have this problem as well.

We solved it by leaving her a voicemail and then retrieving it afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So I used the upgrade on my account and got the 64 gig iPhone 4s. Coming from and Evo 3d. It took a little getting used to. But like everyone says it just works. I sure hope they release the next one with the bigger screen though. That's the only thing that I'm missing. Swype too as well. But the keyboard is pretty drat amazing at prediction compared to any keyboard on the Evo.