Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The alerts from Sprint are pretty much garbage, in my experience anyway. Sometimes I get them around 750k of a 1GB cap, sometimes around 900k, sometimes not at all when one line skirted the limit by a couple dozen kilobytes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

thelightguy posted:

So in case anyone's wondering, you can in fact still do a transfer of liability with a SERO plan. Thanks Marklar!

Glad it all worked out! In case anyone was wondering, it took two calls. The first person said it wasn't possible, that I got bad info, etc. etc. I called the next day, and she said that it normally isn't done on these accounts, but she wanted to speak to a few people. She put me on hold, and about 5 minutes later came back and said that they would do it, stating that while it normally isn't done, "they couldn't see any reason why they shouldn't do it." They called thelightguy up, confirmed, and then that was it. They informed me that I should get a credit on my account (hasn't happened quite yet).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

gypsyshred posted:

You can set up alerts through sprint.com or use the SprintZone app. Also, on Android, there is a feature to both alert and cutoff data at specified thresholds if your worried about it.

Right, I know that Android can track data usage. But if I'm sharing data between 4 lines, that doesn't help much. If I can set up alerts through sprint.com, though, that's not too bad. At least then I'd be alerted if somebody's phone is going crazy with data usage and maybe do something about it before it turns into overage charges. That's my main concern in this scenario-- the phones I don't directly control.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone know how much it is to add "legit" tethering to a SERO plan? I know you can root your phone and I've used PDAnet but it's just unreliable as hell. Last I looked into it on a normal plan it was $10 for tethering, $30 for hotspot - is that still the same? Is it even allowed with SERO?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does any Sprint rep have any sort of insider hit to not confirm nor deny the possibility of the HTC ONE for Windows coming to Sprint?

If they don't pick up that phone then it is obvious Sprint hates Windows and doesn't want to try to let it succeed.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Medullah posted:

Anyone know how much it is to add "legit" tethering to a SERO plan? I know you can root your phone and I've used PDAnet but it's just unreliable as hell. Last I looked into it on a normal plan it was $10 for tethering, $30 for hotspot - is that still the same? Is it even allowed with SERO?

You can get tethering even on current Android without rooting. Easy Tether will work if you plug in a usb cable. I always have a USB cable with my laptop so it's worked for me, and it has the nice side effect of keeping you're phone from dying absurdly fast. You can even test it 100% for free with Easy Tether free edition, it works on HTTP but not HTTPS. After that you can buy the full for $10.

Note: Not "legit" tethering but works for updating google docs from a laptop.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm not sure if this should go here or the Verizon thread.

My Sprint contract ends 29 Sep. I'm planning on switching to Verizon when the iPhone 6 is released. If I switch before the 29th will I be charged an ETF fee or would it just be the final month's bill due immediately when I activate my number with Verizon? I guess I could also wait the week or two to switch, eh?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stick100 posted:

You can get tethering even on current Android without rooting. Easy Tether will work if you plug in a usb cable. I always have a USB cable with my laptop so it's worked for me, and it has the nice side effect of keeping you're phone from dying absurdly fast. You can even test it 100% for free with Easy Tether free edition, it works on HTTP but not HTTPS. After that you can buy the full for $10.

Note: Not "legit" tethering but works for updating google docs from a laptop.

And you don't get pop ups on your phone when you're using it? PDA Net works until an update comes out on my phone, then I have to wait and see if a new version is coming out...it's a pain in the rear end.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does any Sprint rep have any sort of insider hit to not confirm nor deny the possibility of the HTC ONE for Windows coming to Sprint?

If they don't pick up that phone then it is obvious Sprint hates Windows and doesn't want to try to let it succeed.

Sprint hasn't gotten a new Microsoft phone in a while. The two they have are pretty outdated now. Honestly there's no reason to pick a Windows phone over Android or iOS. They have no support and no one else is buying them and Sprint understands that so they don't stock them.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Medullah posted:

And you don't get pop ups on your phone when you're using it? PDA Net works until an update comes out on my phone, then I have to wait and see if a new version is coming out...it's a pain in the rear end.

I haven't used it on Sprint in a while, but as far as I know no, there will no popup's. It's the using a USB cable that makes this particular tether not require root, work on all versions of Android, and much more robust than other systems.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stick100 posted:

I haven't used it on Sprint in a while, but as far as I know no, there will no popup's. It's the using a USB cable that makes this particular tether not require root, work on all versions of Android, and much more robust than other systems.

PDA Net uses a USB cable too, and it still constantly gives me a pop up. I'll give easy tether a shot.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I have an LG G2 that I absolutely love, but it took a bath a couple weeks ago. It's under warranty with a $150 deductible, but I opted to hold off til the end of the month just to enjoy a couple of weeks without a loving cell phone. I've decided that I want to downgrade to a basic plan with voice and text only, no data. Am I right that that just isn't an option with the G2? Assuming I buy another phone, does the contract allow a downgrade via removal of the data plan?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Good news for Sacramento goons: You've finally got your Network Vision LTE rollout. That was one of the final remaining big cities that hadn't seen Network Vision upgrades yet. (The only other large city remaining now is Fresno, it seems.)

rivetz posted:

I have an LG G2 that I absolutely love, but it took a bath a couple weeks ago. It's under warranty with a $150 deductible, but I opted to hold off til the end of the month just to enjoy a couple of weeks without a loving cell phone. I've decided that I want to downgrade to a basic plan with voice and text only, no data. Am I right that that just isn't an option with the G2? Assuming I buy another phone, does the contract allow a downgrade via removal of the data plan?
No, smartphones have a data plan mandatory. Yes, you can totally buy a basic phone and downgrade your account to not have data on it.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 7, 2014

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just a heads up, at least in my region of the south, we're replacing Note 2's with Note 3s since the warehouse is out of note 2's. So if you have an issue with an phone and can convince a tech to replace it, free upgrade.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So it finally happened. After two years, I finally dropped my phone and shattered the screen. Hoe much is a replacement if I take it in store without insurance?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Chaotic Flame posted:

So it finally happened. After two years, I finally dropped my phone and shattered the screen. Hoe much is a replacement if I take it in store without insurance?

They won't touch it in a sprint store if it's physically damaged without insurance so you're looking at full retail for a phone unless you have an upgrade. If it's an iPhone you can take it to apple and they'll fix it for around $269.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Any one of those mall kiosks will be cheaper for a cracked screen.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Well, it's time for an upgrade anyway I guess.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If it's an iPhone 5, 5C or 5S it's $149 for a screen replacement.

4 is $149 and 4S is $199

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

e.pilot posted:

If it's an iPhone 5, 5C or 5S it's $149 for a screen replacement.

4 is $149 and 4S is $199

Why is the 4S more expensive than every other model?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why is the 4S more expensive than every other model?

It's a full device replacement, same on the 4. The screens aren't replaceable on them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
So my wife just encountered an annoying Sprint quirk.
Her Galaxy S4 shut off mid-GPS run (plugged in), and would not power back on. If left plugged in, the phone gets HOT. She finds this out by leaving it plugged in for 6 hours while she's at work, hoping that the long-duration charge would revive the battery. I swapped my battery in, and still nothing. No lights on charge, no three-button reset. Dead.
The phone has been in an Otterbox since Day 2, and has never been abused or gotten even damp.

We bring it into the nearest repair center, we've got TEP, so no biggie, they'll replace it.
Nope, the tech reports finding a "residue" on the motherboard, and says that it's liquid damage. I disagree, and he basically tells me that he's entered those findings into the computer under the device serial number, and that he has 2 options:
1. Give it back, and any other tech who looks it up on the system will find his notes, and it'll still be "liquid damage". He says (rightly so) that no tech is gonna risk a $400 fee by marking it as a defect.
2. Process it under Asurion, costing us $150.

She needed a phone, and $150 isn't gonna break us, but it pisses me off that there's never been any liquid on the phone, none of the litmus papers are pink, but it's still classed as "liquid damage". Is there any recourse from Asurion, like can I contact them and ask "Please open it up and take a look"?

I'm also wondering if the residue is from the phone massively overheating if it's plugged in.

Any thoughts?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sharkytm posted:

So my wife just encountered an annoying Sprint quirk.
Her Galaxy S4 shut off mid-GPS run (plugged in), and would not power back on. If left plugged in, the phone gets HOT. She finds this out by leaving it plugged in for 6 hours while she's at work, hoping that the long-duration charge would revive the battery. I swapped my battery in, and still nothing. No lights on charge, no three-button reset. Dead.
The phone has been in an Otterbox since Day 2, and has never been abused or gotten even damp.

We bring it into the nearest repair center, we've got TEP, so no biggie, they'll replace it.
Nope, the tech reports finding a "residue" on the motherboard, and says that it's liquid damage. I disagree, and he basically tells me that he's entered those findings into the computer under the device serial number, and that he has 2 options:
1. Give it back, and any other tech who looks it up on the system will find his notes, and it'll still be "liquid damage". He says (rightly so) that no tech is gonna risk a $400 fee by marking it as a defect.
2. Process it under Asurion, costing us $150.

She needed a phone, and $150 isn't gonna break us, but it pisses me off that there's never been any liquid on the phone, none of the litmus papers are pink, but it's still classed as "liquid damage". Is there any recourse from Asurion, like can I contact them and ask "Please open it up and take a look"?

I'm also wondering if the residue is from the phone massively overheating if it's plugged in.

Any thoughts?

:10bux: says it is some bit of melted plastic residue/adhesive stuff from the heat you mentioned earlier.

Or it could be that motherboard residue crap that was on a ton of EVGA Graphics Cards years ago when they used some Eco Friendly crap that made it look like you sprayed glue/water on the card after it got hot a few times.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

EdEddnEddy posted:

:10bux: says it is some bit of melted plastic residue/adhesive stuff from the heat you mentioned earlier.

Or it could be that motherboard residue crap that was on a ton of EVGA Graphics Cards years ago when they used some Eco Friendly crap that made it look like you sprayed glue/water on the card after it got hot a few times.

Yeah, but is there anything I can DO about it? If the guy isn't lying, and I can see his point, there's no way to not pay the $150, unless Asurion can be convinced.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I ended up getting an HTC One M8 for $50 yesterday after I shattered my GSIII's screen. I'm pretty happy with it, but the camera definitely seems subpar with regard to resolution and the like. I was toying with the idea of switching for a G3, but I just moved to a new city so I was trying to keep my cost low. I really like the build of the One M8 and everything else about it is nice, but the camera has me concerned since I'll have it for two years.

Is the G3 worth the extra $50 just for the camera upgrade? Are there any other standout features? Is it even a big jump up in terms of quality? Usually I research phones way before I switch, but since this happened fairly quickly (the shattered screen was cutting my fingers), I haven't really had the time to look at all the different options.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, I ended up getting an HTC One M8 for $50 yesterday after I shattered my GSIII's screen. I'm pretty happy with it, but the camera definitely seems subpar with regard to resolution and the like. I was toying with the idea of switching for a G3, but I just moved to a new city so I was trying to keep my cost low. I really like the build of the One M8 and everything else about it is nice, but the camera has me concerned since I'll have it for two years.

Is the G3 worth the extra $50 just for the camera upgrade? Are there any other standout features? Is it even a big jump up in terms of quality? Usually I research phones way before I switch, but since this happened fairly quickly (the shattered screen was cutting my fingers), I haven't really had the time to look at all the different options.

I guess the big question is what you're using the camera for. I came from a GS3 too, and was a little disappointed in the M8 camera. I stopped caring when I realized that posting photos to Facebook and Twitter didn't require a stellar camera, just an acceptable one. It's also OK for 4x6 prints of candid photos. (I wouldn't go any larger.)

If you're using it for other purposes, maybe switch. The build quality is superb in the M8, so you'll be downgrading there.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm going to flip an iPhone 6, what do I need to know before doing this?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

effika posted:

I guess the big question is what you're using the camera for. I came from a GS3 too, and was a little disappointed in the M8 camera. I stopped caring when I realized that posting photos to Facebook and Twitter didn't require a stellar camera, just an acceptable one. It's also OK for 4x6 prints of candid photos. (I wouldn't go any larger.)

If you're using it for other purposes, maybe switch. The build quality is superb in the M8, so you'll be downgrading there.

It is mostly for Facebook and the like and I really do love the feel of the M8.

Oh well. I had planned to become a Prince of Instagram with my new phone and filters. :smith:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I will say the G3's camera is really nice as well as the screen, but the battery life is a bit of a downer from the M8's as well as the metal build quality. (Got the M8 for Windows for my sis, badass phone). Also Boomsound. (Though the G3's rear single speaker is the loudest I have heard from a Cell in a while, but it's still pointed the wrong way).

I'd say if you like everything else, stay with the M8 but if you really take a to of pictures/video, a G3 might be worth the swap. Just get an extra battery or have a charger on hand if you use your phone a lot.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

the littlest prince posted:

It is pretty much not worth it to try this on Sprint, in my experience. They won't international unlock it unless it's been activated for 90 days on your account, and they'll never unlock it for domestic use (until, I guess, next year's thing with the fcc? mandate). This pretty much limits your market to other Sprint users, who can just go buy it from Sprint for the same price you're going to be looking for.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 9, 2014

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

sirbeefalot posted:

It is pretty much not worth it to try this on Sprint, in my experience. They won't international unlock it unless it's been activated for 90 days on your account, and they'll never unlock it for domestic use (until, I guess, next year's thing with the fcc? mandate). This pretty much limits your market to other Sprint users, who can just go buy it from Sprint for the same price you're going to be looking for.
And my experience was the complete opposite. I flipped a $199 iPhone 4S for $666 when it first launched. Even if I'd sold it for $360, it would've been a good deal. There are lots of people out there on contract with buggy and broken phones who are desperate for an upgrade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

the littlest prince posted:

Whatever is said in the Apple announcement this afternoon.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Good news, everyone! The new iPhones support Band 41 LTE. More coverage in more places.

Unfortunately, it won't support Carrier Aggregation on that band, so no super fast Sprint Spark.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Thank god. Spark is the worst.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It's upgrade time and my Evo 3D's starting to get a bit flaky anyway. Is the HTC One (M7, last year's model) still worth $50, or should I spring for the E8? The M8 is a bit outside my budget.

I don't do any heavy gaming or anything, just use it to browse the forums, but I do like a decent-sized screen.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Delivery McGee posted:

It's upgrade time and my Evo 3D's starting to get a bit flaky anyway. Is the HTC One (M7, last year's model) still worth $50, or should I spring for the E8? The M8 is a bit outside my budget.

I don't do any heavy gaming or anything, just use it to browse the forums, but I do like a decent-sized screen.

I just got the M8 for $50 on contract when I upgraded and I think that's still the current price.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The M7's fine, but see if you can swing a deal on an M8. I have a feeling the M8 will get Android L and the M7 might not (or might see it much later).

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I currently have the Sero Premium plan with my iPhone 4s. $40+$10 for "premium data" = $50/month. I'd like to get the iPhone 6 and see they have the $50/month unlimited everything with the iPhone 6. Which is the same as what I'm paying now, but would give unlimited minutes instead of 500/month.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? And if I do change, is it better to go into a Sprint store, or should I be able to order the phone and change my plan online tomorrow morning?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Over the course of two years, you end up paying $480 for your iPhone 6 (16GB) rather than $199. In return for that extra $11.71/mo, you get unlimited talk. Is that worth it to you? Keep in mind that SERO Premium already has unlimited mobile-to-mobile. You've gotta do a lot of talking to landlines to make it worth the switch in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Well, I'm going to get the iPhone 6 regardless, because I'd like a larger phone. So with that in mind, if both plans are $50, is there any reason I shouldn't switch to the unlimited plan?

You're right though, I don't think I've ever gone over my minutes. So maybe it's just be easier to stick with Sero Premium.