Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

td4guy posted:

Is that actually an upgrade? http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?p=4133,4557

Well, I guess it does support more LTE bands and has a microSD slot.

That phone looked really nice until I saw the specs.

I'm on a GS III right now and I'm waiting for Sprint to carry a phone that isn't comically sized, and is actually faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Couldn't cancel my order. Will just take it back to a sprint store and see if I can get the Samsung galaxy s5 on a 2 year contract.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Finally got my Nexus 5 32gb on Sprint....after about two hours of back and forth between a Sprint store and Best Buy. Sprint store said they had no SIM cards for my phone, but that Best Buy would give me one for free...after convincing them that yes, this phone takes a SIM card and will work on Sprint. Went to Best Buy, and they said that I was dreaming if they were going to just give me a SIM. Paid $27.99 plus tax for it, went back to the store and another hour as they tried to activate it (wouldn't take the IMEI, then they guy had to call support to get the proper activation code).

Any way I can get Sprint to credit me the money I had to spend on the SIM? Or is it a lost cause...

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

NM. Got it resolved.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 19, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Just got a LG G2 OTA update to fix the issue of frequently dropping LTE. I had applied the workaround, so I wasn't experiencing it anymore, but it is still gone after applying the official update.

Unfortunately, the update either broke G2 xposed or root, because my menu soft button is back (I had used xposed to change it to a app switcher button).

Just a heads up.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 21, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Contacted Sprint Chat today because I've been unable to make or receive calls from home despite having signal and an active data connection. Sprint support person dropped this on me.

Sprint Support posted:

Angela C.: Phones are more like computers than actual phones. You need to turn the phone off each day for a minute or two to get any available updates. It will also let you pull signal from other towers near you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Contacted Sprint Chat today because I've been unable to make or receive calls from home despite having signal and an active data connection. Sprint support person dropped this on me.

As someone who works in this type of technical support, we kind of assume most people are morons. People that know their way around things are incredibly rare unfortunately.

fake e: a phone reboot will fix a large majority of the "problems" that normal people have with their phones.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Contacted Sprint Chat today

Haha, that's beautiful. I've gotten that once before when I called about my brother's phone forever not working. When I mentioned that I had already done that (I had), I was told to be patient while they did their network upgrades in my area. That was 10 months ago. One more month to go and I'll have my last family member off Sprint!

And yeah, I work in IT. I know the vast majority of problems are user error. Except for when it's Sprint, it's always their network. Always.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

e.pilot posted:

As someone who works in this type of technical support, we kind of assume most people are morons. People that know their way around things are incredibly rare unfortunately.

fake e: a phone reboot will fix a large majority of the "problems" that normal people have with their phones.

Well yeah, if she'd said "reboot your phone", then no issue. Shutting down your phone for a few minutes every single day is just stupid.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Grumpwagon posted:

Just got a LG G2 OTA update to fix the issue of frequently dropping LTE. I had applied the workaround, so I wasn't experiencing it anymore, but it is still gone after applying the official update.

Unfortunately, the update either broke G2 xposed or root, because my menu soft button is back (I had used xposed to change it to a app switcher button).

Just a heads up.

To elaborate on this, it broke root.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 21, 2014

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
I picked up the new Sharp phone today and have been toying with it - seems to be a minimal community behind it and has wary specs but the screen really pops. It's a head-turner.. feels like a phone from the future. Initial fuckup include an inability to connect to WPA2 wifi - I have 13 days to return it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ouija posted:

Initial fuckup include an inability to connect to WPA2 wifi - I have 13 days to return it.

Today is a good day to return it. Carpe diem!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ouija posted:

I picked up the new Sharp phone today and have been toying with it - seems to be a minimal community behind it and has wary specs but the screen really pops. It's a head-turner.. feels like a phone from the future. Initial fuckup include an inability to connect to WPA2 wifi - I have 13 days to return it.

I get mine today in the mail and I'm gonna return. If its your first ever smartphone and you're not going to do much with it then its fine. I wish the 5.5" version was in the u.s. also wish I did more research but whatever.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'm stuck using my upgrade this week because my S3 died after two years of excellent service. Sprint doesn't carry the Moto X 2014, I'm not sure I'm OK with paying $300 + contract for an iPhone, and the S5 is 7 months into the dev cycle. I've got terrible timing.

I guess in positive news, Sprint's signal in my area has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 8 months.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

whitey delenda est posted:

I'm stuck using my upgrade this week because my S3 died after two years of excellent service. Sprint doesn't carry the Moto X 2014, I'm not sure I'm OK with paying $300 + contract for an iPhone, and the S5 is 7 months into the dev cycle. I've got terrible timing.

I guess in positive news, Sprint's signal in my area has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 8 months.

Just buy a used Moto X 2013 on Swappa for under $200 until something better comes along, unless you need a phone immediately right now today.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just buy a used Moto X 2013 on Swappa for under $200 until something better comes along, unless you need a phone immediately right now today.

I'll take a look, good idea!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I get mine today in the mail and I'm gonna return. If its your first ever smartphone and you're not going to do much with it then its fine. I wish the 5.5" version was in the u.s. also wish I did more research but whatever.

It's a bummer we got the budget phone. The price really isn't bad, but it really should have also brought the big brother with the 801 and all the bells and whistles.

Being a lower end phone, is it still too slow/featureless to live with for the price? Still has a quad core Snap 400 and only thing it needs is a MicroSD card to be usable right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's a bummer we got the budget phone. The price really isn't bad, but it really should have also brought the big brother with the 801 and all the bells and whistles.

Being a lower end phone, is it still too slow/featureless to live with for the price? Still has a quad core Snap 400 and only thing it needs is a MicroSD card to be usable right?

I decided to boot it up anyways and it's actually not bad. The camera however is god awful. The Moto X camera is way better and that camera was regarded as not being so good last year.

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try
I havn't seen a camera this bad since flip phones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't get on easy pay if you think you might want to return your phone. Not the most annoying thing in the world but it requires some work between calling up Sprint support and being at a Sprint store to make the return happen. :/ It also can take a couple days.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I have a situation that is really frustrating. I upgraded my phone about a month ago at a Best Buy and the rep there said she was going to change my plan to the $60 a month/unlimited plan since I was losing my discount having moved and it would be cheaper anyway. This month, I find out that my plan wasn't actually changed, so I called Sprint and got it changed to the correct plan. Now I've gotten a text explaining that my bill is going to be $30 more than it should be because of some phone discount(?) issue. I talked to another person at Sprint who told me that some reps were uninformed when this new plan came out and they weren't supposed to use it for anyone upgrading on contract. I wouldn't have signed a new two-year agreement had the plan not been offered to me, but I don't know what I can do here. If I can't get the price I was offered, I'd like to just dissolve the contract and shop around because Sprint isn't really that much better when it comes to price anymore, but I think I'm getting stuck talking to people that don't have too much power to change things on plans (this is what I was told on the phone anyway).

What are my options here?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Root your phone, flash a Verizon-only PRL and stream netflix until they boot you for roaming overages.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

thelightguy posted:

Root your phone, flash a Verizon-only PRL and stream netflix until they boot you for roaming overages.

I don't think I can. My old plan had unlimited data roaming, but this one has a cap at 100MB.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I don't think I can. My old plan had unlimited data roaming, but this one has a cap at 100MB.
No, there's no such thing as unlimited data roaming. It's 300MB no matter what plan you have. Keep exceeding that consistently and you get booted.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

td4guy posted:

No, there's no such thing as unlimited data roaming. It's 300MB no matter what plan you have. Keep exceeding that consistently and you get booted.

Wouldn't they just charge you for the roaming overage?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dead Pressed posted:

Wouldn't they just charge you for the roaming overage?
No, they have no program for charging for that. Sprint pays a ton of money to VZW to roam. It's meant for an emergency call here or a google map there. If you consistently use it, then you're costing Sprint a bundle and they'd rather be rid of you because you obviously don't live in their coverage area.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Well poo poo. I never thought about that. I turned off data roaming thinking there were overage charges. Now I can browse SA all day long at work via verizons network!

Tykoe Corp
Apr 26, 2005
Anyone ever have any success putting a SERO account on hold? I've been out of the country for 2 months and possibly won't return for another 6 months. Don't want to keep paying my bill if I'm not using my phone, but I also don't want to lose my SERO plan.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tykoe Corp posted:

Anyone ever have any success putting a SERO account on hold? I've been out of the country for 2 months and possibly won't return for another 6 months. Don't want to keep paying my bill if I'm not using my phone, but I also don't want to lose my SERO plan.
You can put an account on Seasonal Standby - I've done it. Maximum 6 months though.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My wife and I both got Galaxy S5s in May. Since then, both sets of earbuds that came with them have broken, one losing sound in the left ear, the other losing in the right ear. Is this something I would take to the Sprint store that would be covered under my warrantee or total support plan? Or does that apply solely to the phone?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Golbez posted:

My wife and I both got Galaxy S5s in May. Since then, both sets of earbuds that came with them have broken, one losing sound in the left ear, the other losing in the right ear. Is this something I would take to the Sprint store that would be covered under my warrantee or total support plan? Or does that apply solely to the phone?

The store may have some spares in stock to give you but typically those aren't covered by the support plan. You'd have to go through Samsung.

Tykoe Corp
Apr 26, 2005

td4guy posted:

You can put an account on Seasonal Standby - I've done it. Maximum 6 months though.

And you still have a SERO account? They didn't give you any trouble getting it back?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tykoe Corp posted:

And you still have a SERO account? They didn't give you any trouble getting it back?
Yeah, no problem at all. Just make sure you're calling in to the SERO number and not the normal call center idiots.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Should I avoid corporate stores with my SERO plan? I want to trade in my iPhone 5 for a 6. I know I can do it online but could I get it taken care of in person or will the rep have no idea what SERO is?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

rhombus posted:

Should I avoid corporate stores with my SERO plan? I want to trade in my iPhone 5 for a 6. I know I can do it online but could I get it taken care of in person or will the rep have no idea what SERO is?
It's possible. I'd call the store and ask them if they have anyone on-staff who is familiar with dealing with SERO stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I am on SERO and was considering upgrading my Galaxy S3 to a Note 4 - when I go online to Sprint.com it's saying I need to change plans. Is that just because online doesn't work with SERO anymore, so I should just call telesales?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Medullah posted:

I am on SERO and was considering upgrading my Galaxy S3 to a Note 4 - when I go online to Sprint.com it's saying I need to change plans. Is that just because online doesn't work with SERO anymore, so I should just call telesales?

It always says that. Call the SERO number.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

rhombus posted:

I had a painless upgrade at a corporate store on a SERO account last weekend on a phone I reserved online for in-store pickup.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'm considering switching from Verizon to Sprint, but a couple questions came up after looking at the website.

I'm on contract until February, so it sounds like for the ETF payment they give you a prepaid card to put toward your ETF. is the turnaround time relatively quick? I guess I'm curious if I would have to foot the bill and then get reimbursed later.

My current job offers a discount for Sprint, but does it apply toward the whole bill or just a portion? E.g., I have an active discount on Verizon from my previous job, but it only counts toward the data plan, not the phone connection fee.

Finally, is mobile hotspot functionality included for free? I don't use it that often but I like having it available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The hotspot is insanely expensive, and is tiered based on data usage even if you have an unlimited plan. It's stupid.

Unless, of course, you root your phone.