Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Goons, I need a new wireless router and I want that free one. How do I get one?

I called twice on Saturday and my phone (Nexus 5) doesn't qualify. They said they're waiting on an update to that phone that will enable WiFi Calling, but I'm taking that with a big grain of salt.

I'm on SERO 500 and my next upgrade doesn't kick in until March 2016 ("when I sign up for Easy Pay or Sprint Lease" - pass, right?). I have one line but qualify for more. My understanding is that only Spark phones are qualifying phones - is that correct?

If so, I see that there is a Galaxy S4 that I could add for $0 down and $10/month for 2 years - is that just for the phone, or for the service with my 2nd line?

Could I open a second line, order this phone, qualify and get the router? And would I be paying double my current monthly for 2 lines?

If so, would I then just close the unneeded line and port my existing cell number (if needed) to the remaining line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Goons, I need a new wireless router and I want that free one. How do I get one?

I called twice on Saturday and my phone (Nexus 5) doesn't qualify. They said they're waiting on an update to that phone that will enable WiFi Calling, but I'm taking that with a big grain of salt.

I'm on SERO 500 and my next upgrade doesn't kick in until March 2016 ("when I sign up for Easy Pay or Sprint Lease" - pass, right?). I have one line but qualify for more. My understanding is that only Spark phones are qualifying phones - is that correct?

If so, I see that there is a Galaxy S4 that I could add for $0 down and $10/month for 2 years - is that just for the phone, or for the service with my 2nd line?

Could I open a second line, order this phone, qualify and get the router? And would I be paying double my current monthly for 2 lines?

If so, would I then just close the unneeded line and port my existing cell number (if needed) to the remaining line?

No, $10 doesn't include service. Go pick up a tp-link c7 for like $95 and quit trying to buy a car just for the free toaster.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm actually okay with moving away from this Nexus 5, my parents both have Galaxy S4s (non-Spark I believe) and their call audio quality is great.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Paying $240 over 24 months to get a free router with locked down firmware that retails for $150...

Borrow or buy a cheap used android phone that supports wifi calling, and activate it on your line before calling in. Sprint phones are cheap on the used market.

If you really want a new phone, see if Sprint is offering you the $15/month bill credit to get one of their phones on lease. I have an EPRP (employee referral that replaced SERO) plan that's 6 months from a 2 year upgrade, but they're still offering me lease phone like the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 for $5/month.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

goku chewbacca posted:

Paying $240 over 24 months to get a free router with locked down firmware that retails for $150...

Thanks, I didn't initially catch that and I'm glad someone did.

quote:

Borrow or buy a cheap used android phone that supports wifi calling, and activate it on your line before calling in. Sprint phones are cheap on the used market.

Not a bad idea...

quote:

If you really want a new phone, see if Sprint is offering you the $15/month bill credit to get one of their phones on lease. I have an EPRP (employee referral that replaced SERO) plan that's 6 months from a 2 year upgrade, but they're still offering me lease phone like the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 for $5/month.

Yeah, I'm really interested in a WiFi calling phone. If I can find a cheap used one, so much the better. And if they're offering me this it's also worth considering.

Thanks!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm spending two weeks in England this summer and would like to be able to use my phone (iPhone 5, on SERO) if need be. Is International Value Roaming with the data pack add-on my best bet? $50 for 500 MB at 3G seems pretty pricey for what it gets you, but I'd rather not be stuck with the unlimited 2G data.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Robo Kitty posted:

I'm spending two weeks in England this summer and would like to be able to use my phone (iPhone 5, on SERO) if need be. Is International Value Roaming with the data pack add-on my best bet? $50 for 500 MB at 3G seems pretty pricey for what it gets you, but I'd rather not be stuck with the unlimited 2G data.

When I went to Glasgow last summer I bought a prepaid SIM for 15 quid and got unlimited LTE. I got it from Three, after looking at Virgin and O2.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
For two weeks of service, you can do a lot better than $50 for 500MB by using a local carrier. I think there's some MVNO call Tiff Taff or Giff Gaff that's a good value.

I'd activate the free value roaming plan and see if it's fast enough for your needs. Pre-cache your Google Maps. Download an app that helps you locate free wifi hotspots.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?

goku chewbacca posted:

https://www.sprint.com/inhomecoverage

Like T-Mobile, Sprint is now giving away wifi routers to customers with Wifi Calling phones. The routers are really nice Asus RT-AC66u with Sprint firmware that prioritizes Wifi Calling traffic. A few of the features from the Asus factory firmware are missing, but it may be possible to install Asus or aftermarket firmware just like with Tmobile's CellSpot.

Call (866) 556-7310 to order one from the AirRave department.

Calling Sprint is always a production. But I got the router. Thanks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody know how to get voicemail working again after separating my number from google voice integration? Number is fully separated from google.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Anybody know how to get voicemail working again after separating my number from google voice integration? Number is fully separated from google.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/sB0kpiTiTH0 ?

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
The heart rate sensor on the back of my Note 4 has stopped responding completely. It won't light up at all.

Will Sprint replace the phone if I take to the store, or am I stuck with this until my next upgrade since I bought it through Best Buy and didn't buy their warranty?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Finally got around to doing this, that did the trick.

Also enabled WiFi calling, holy poo poo my phone calls don't sound like underwater rear end anymore, it's like landline quality. :toot:

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Muttonchips posted:

The heart rate sensor on the back of my Note 4 has stopped responding completely. It won't light up at all.

Will Sprint replace the phone if I take to the store, or am I stuck with this until my next upgrade since I bought it through Best Buy and didn't buy their warranty?

You could go through Samsung warranty, but that may be more trouble than its worth.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Does dan@sprint.com still work even though Dan isn't the CEO anymore? If not, what's the new address?

EDIT: To answer my own question, dan@sprint.com gets forwarded to marcelo.claure@sprint.com, which still works.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 30, 2015

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sprint stops data throttling in wake of new Net neutrality rules

quote:

For less than a year, Sprint used a network management practice that applied only at the level of individual congested cell sites, and only for as long as congestion existed. At such sites, we temporarily allocated resources away from the top 5 percent of heaviest users and to the 95 percent of users with normal usage, to try to allocate the effects of congestion more fairly. Once congestion at the site passed, the limitation automatically ended. Upon review, and to ensure that our practices are consistent with the FCC's net neutrality rules, we determined that the network management technique was not needed to ensure a quality experience for the majority of customers.
I guess congested sites are about to get a tad bit more congested? Obviously this is smart network management rather than a net neutrality thing. Why, Sprint, why?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

td4guy posted:

I guess congested sites are about to get a tad bit more congested? Obviously this is smart network management rather than a net neutrality thing. Why, Sprint, why?

In all honesty, I am ok with this kind of throttling as long as they are transparent about it.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

td4guy posted:

Probably because of the nebulous "top 5 percent" description that was the same trigger that got AT&T the big fine. Sprint probably hasn't come into the FCC crosshairs because it was done on a per site basis, and not across the whole network, but they are worried about being next.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

My wife has a Galaxy S6. When she first got it we setup voice/hangouts for voicemail and everything was fine. A couple days ago Sprint pushed an update that once again forced their lovely voicemail app as the default, but now I cannot find anywhere to switch the default vm provider back to Google voice. Did they really just lock our vm into their lovely service?

I keep telling my wife an extra 20 month is worth getting away from Sprint fuckery but she just has to stay on this poo poo provider.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

td4guy posted:

Sounds like a case of saying one thing, but doing another. Introduce a brand new plan today, and then put this in the fine print:

quote:

To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Streaming video speeds will be limited to 600Kbps at all times, which may impact quality.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So we can never stream an HD video on Sprint now?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Well, that does technically treat all users the same.

When you serve everyone a poo poo sandwich instead of just an arbitrary, ever changing group, I guess the FCC is fine with it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Sounds like that's only on the new All-In plan. But drat, that's some pretty impressive hypocrisy.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Sounds like something you can get around by bypassing sprint's media proxies.

This guide's a bit old but when I did it for my Note 3 the procedure was the same-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2525544

The Note 3 had a method of getting the MSL off the phone, but my phone before that didn't.

The first person I got from Sprint phone support gave me the MSL and unlock code in exchange for giving her a good customer survey. Don't know if things are much different now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They walked that back (again), although their statement seems to have left the door open for some other kind of throttling/shaping:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-removes-video-streaming-limits-in-response-to-customer-feedback.htm

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Turnquiet posted:

My wife has a Galaxy S6. When she first got it we setup voice/hangouts for voicemail and everything was fine. A couple days ago Sprint pushed an update that once again forced their lovely voicemail app as the default, but now I cannot find anywhere to switch the default vm provider back to Google voice. Did they really just lock our vm into their lovely service?

I keep telling my wife an extra 20 month is worth getting away from Sprint fuckery but she just has to stay on this poo poo provider.

They really removed the ability to easily setup Google Voice for voicemail. I finally figured out a hack around it by uninstalling Voice, getting the *code needed to switch VM providers, and manually dialing it in the keypad since Sprint/Samsung blocked the ability to dial it from the Voice setup screen. Some bullshit, that.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

Try dialing *28[10-digit GV #].

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My boss currently pays for his family members (4 people including him), me and my wife, and two other employees on Framily lines. Two lines have the 3GB data allowance, the other 6 are all the base 1GB. 3 lines have TEP. Our bill is about $300/mo before taxes and fees. Two of the lines are leases, the rest of the phones are paid off. From what I'm reading on Sprint's site now, we could switch to the new data share plan and for (about) the same as our current monthly bill, get the 32GB share pool ($130), plus the 6 non-discounted phones ($90) plus the two leased phones (80). Plus the TEP and minus the two 3GB adds, we'd be at $313 before taxes, etc.

Am I missing anything with this? Can I do the switch entirely over the phone? A couple lines have been going over the 1GB limit every other month or so for a while, so it would be nice to not have to deal with that.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
So here's my situation: my Samsung Galaxy S4 has given up the ghost exactly two years after activating it (looking like it's not a battery issue, but the phone randomly shuts off at crucial usage moments). I'm on SERO Premium and would like to keep it as long as possible. I'm perfectly fine with replacing it with another S4 as I like the features. Is there any downside to just purchasing through the website/over the phone, paying my $50 for the new phone and committing to another two year contract? I'm not really keen on leasing a phone and the used options in my area run about $160-180.

I'm also going overseas from August to mid December so it'll be in seasonal standby but I still use the phone in Europe with wifi/SIM card.

If I'm looking for the more recent Samsung Galaxy models, are the S5/S6 still eligible for SERO plans? Nevermind, answered my own question.

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 4, 2015

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Is Sprint going to get an Active/Sport variant of the S6?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Disargeria posted:

Is Sprint going to get an Active/Sport variant of the S6?
Nope, it's an AT&T exclusive.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Got a question:

I have a Nexus 5 that is randomly shutting off after about 5-10 min off the charger (battery says fully-charged) at which point it won't turn back on unless it's plugged in (at which point it boots and says it has like 50% battery).

I'm pretty sure that it's a dead battery, but perhaps not (I've read about stuck power buttons and other hardware issues showing up like this too, e.g. here).

I don't have insurance on my phone (after carrying full coverage for like a decade I dropped it a few months ago. DAMMIT) so the Sprint store told me they could replace my N5 with a refurb for the $75 repair fee - cool.

I get a call tonight from the store telling me that they have no refurb N5's available and to call Sprint directly, which I did, and was told the same thing. I tried to escalate to a supervisor and request a new phone as a replacement (as suggested by the guy at the store) but that didn't work.

Oh and of course they've already charged me the $75 and I have nothing to show for it. Wheeeee! I emailed the whole mess to the new "dan@sprint.com" email but haven't heard back yet.

Any suggestions on what to do? A genuine N5 battery from China would take until August 4th (at the earliest) to arrive according to Amazon, and some people reporting this issue haven't been able to fix it with a new battery.

I'm due for an upgrade but since I can't fit an N6 in my pocket and the new N5 won't be out for months I'm kinda boned here. Is $200 on Swappa for a used N5 my only move at this point? If so, that sucks.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I got a Nexus 5 screen from fixez.com that worked out okay for me, and they have the battery in stock now. http://www.fixez.com/lg-nexus-5-battery-replacement

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

amenenema posted:

Got a question:

I have a Nexus 5 that is randomly shutting off after about 5-10 min off the charger (battery says fully-charged) at which point it won't turn back on unless it's plugged in (at which point it boots and says it has like 50% battery).

I'm pretty sure that it's a dead battery, but perhaps not (I've read about stuck power buttons and other hardware issues showing up like this too, e.g. here).

I don't have insurance on my phone (after carrying full coverage for like a decade I dropped it a few months ago. DAMMIT) so the Sprint store told me they could replace my N5 with a refurb for the $75 repair fee - cool.

I get a call tonight from the store telling me that they have no refurb N5's available and to call Sprint directly, which I did, and was told the same thing. I tried to escalate to a supervisor and request a new phone as a replacement (as suggested by the guy at the store) but that didn't work.

Oh and of course they've already charged me the $75 and I have nothing to show for it. Wheeeee! I emailed the whole mess to the new "dan@sprint.com" email but haven't heard back yet.

Any suggestions on what to do? A genuine N5 battery from China would take until August 4th (at the earliest) to arrive according to Amazon, and some people reporting this issue haven't been able to fix it with a new battery.

I'm due for an upgrade but since I can't fit an N6 in my pocket and the new N5 won't be out for months I'm kinda boned here. Is $200 on Swappa for a used N5 my only move at this point? If so, that sucks.

I wouldn't count on a response from dan@sprint (or the new one). I sent something there and didn't get any response at all (besides the automated "we received your email" reply).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Anyone want to buy my SERO line before I go cancelling it? Is that still a thing people do? I'm completely out of the loop with Sprint these days.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone want to buy my SERO line before I go cancelling it? Is that still a thing people do? I'm completely out of the loop with Sprint these days.
You can do a Transfer of Liability to anyone else who already has a SERO line (or maybe EPRP).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

td4guy posted:

You can do a Transfer of Liability to anyone else who already has a SERO line (or maybe EPRP).

Right, right. I was more asking if there is a demand for SERO lines more than anything, I know for a while people were selling them (though I don't remember for how much). And strangely enough I guess some time ago EPRP was folded into SERO because I definitely had EPRP for the longest time but the account now says SERO.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

td4guy posted:

Nope, it's an AT&T exclusive.

That's what AT&T said about the S5 active, Sprint got around that by having the "sport" be slightly different. I'm still hoping they get one, otherwise I'll be buying an S5 instead of an S6. The water and shock resistance is too good to pass up.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm holding onto my SERO until they kill it. Probably the best investment I've made through SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Blakkout posted:

I'm holding onto my SERO until they kill it. Probably the best investment I've made through SA.
Same. I think I've used about 100 minutes tops throughout my contract and the data in my area is fast enough for streaming and looking at what I need it for.