Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Wow, I enabled the Sprint-Wifi thing on my iPhone and it's great. I had a few areas of weak reception in my house, but no problem now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

WoG posted:

Upgrades were at 20 months (on a 24 month contract) until 9/1/14; after that, upgrades weren't available until 24 months. This is based on when you signed your contract, though, which was presumably Jan '14, from the sounds of it.

Another method to check: text 'upgrade' to 1311. Or you might just call and ask. The website is dumb interface trying to combine info from probably 900 different back-end systems, so it's no surprise it's neither intuitive nor comprehensive. A CSR is at least a less dumb interface to the same thing.

Okay, I think I see a bit of what's going on. I was checking here, which was the first search result for "sprint upgrade check." That told me I was not eligible, with no other information.

When I text 1311:
"SprintFreeMsg:

As of 8/1/15, you are eligible to upgrade your phone. Visit www.sprint.com/upgrades for more information."

When I go to that site and check availability, I get:
"Congratulations! For a limited time, you're eligible to upgrade your phone with Easy Pay monthly installments or our Sprint Lease option."

I imagine what's happening is that I'm not (yet) eligible for the 24-month subsidized upgrade (I guess I need to talk to a rep to find out exactly when I am), but I *am* eligible for the Easy Pay or Lease options. Which sounds kind of misleading because isn't everybody? But whatever. I guess I need to figure out if Easy Pay is the direction I want to go or just wait for my 24-month upgrade.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Won't everyone on Sprint not get upgrade pricing any more since they're getting rid of contracts? Isn't that the entire reason you get a subsidy in the first place?

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

the littlest prince posted:

Won't everyone on Sprint not get upgrade pricing any more since they're getting rid of contracts? Isn't that the entire reason you get a subsidy in the first place?

No, the WSJ was dumb and claimed Contracts would be gone for all customers. What's really happening is NEW customers will no longer get plans with contract options but existing customers on SERO, Everything Data, EPRP, Framily, MyWay, whatever can still get contract pricing like they always have or leasing/easypay.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

the littlest prince posted:

Wankie posted:

No, the WSJ was dumb and claimed Contracts would be gone for all customers. What's really happening is NEW customers will no longer get plans with contract options but existing customers on SERO, Everything Data, EPRP, Framily, MyWay, whatever can still get contract pricing like they always have or leasing/easypay.

^ this is correct.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Good, clears up a lot of the confusion some people, me included, were having I think.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Wankie posted:

Good to know!!! thanks

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I recently upgraded my 2 lines with Sprint EasyPay. The old phones were also EasyPay with annual upgrades. I upgraded as soon as we were eligible. The problem is, Sprint is billing me for all 4 phones now. I've contacted ecare chat 2 times now and they've said they'll do it, but so far they've put a credit for one phone after the first contact, then after the second contact removed the credit. They have my phones, what the hell do I need to do to get them to remove the installments for the old phones?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I have an LG G2 that has a band of the touchscreen that no longer responds to touch. I do not have insurance, and I have had it for longer than a year, so it is out of manufacturer warranty. I considered replacing the screen myself (I've previously replaced the charging port). However, the part is $45 on eBay, and it is a very complicated repair. I figured I'd pay Sprint the $75 no insurance repair fee and be good.

I took it to a repair center. The employee who works there all the time said they'd have to order me a part and that it would be $75. I was just called by a different employee who was filling in for the normal guy. He said that since it is a known issue with G2s, it would be free.

I'm expecting the normal guy to be there when I go to pick it up, and I'd expect him to charge $75. I'm totally fine paying it if that's Sprint's policy, but is there any truth to the "known issue = free" thing? I know that there used to be (I got a touch pro 2 replaced that way), but lots has changed since then.

Is the new guy just wrong? Or is it only during the warranty period or something?

Thanks!

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Grumpwagon posted:

I have an LG G2 that has a band of the touchscreen that no longer responds to touch. I do not have insurance, and I have had it for longer than a year, so it is out of manufacturer warranty. I considered replacing the screen myself (I've previously replaced the charging port). However, the part is $45 on eBay, and it is a very complicated repair. I figured I'd pay Sprint the $75 no insurance repair fee and be good.

I took it to a repair center. The employee who works there all the time said they'd have to order me a part and that it would be $75. I was just called by a different employee who was filling in for the normal guy. He said that since it is a known issue with G2s, it would be free.

I'm expecting the normal guy to be there when I go to pick it up, and I'd expect him to charge $75. I'm totally fine paying it if that's Sprint's policy, but is there any truth to the "known issue = free" thing? I know that there used to be (I got a touch pro 2 replaced that way), but lots has changed since then.

Is the new guy just wrong? Or is it only during the warranty period or something?

Thanks!

That's news to me, but if it was considered to be a fault or error from the factory (like a recall) then they probably do it for free. Let us know what happens, I'd be interested to know.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Krime posted:

Duckman, just clarifying this is correct from your latest update to the first post.

Sales line for SERO users - 888 882 4030

A bit late, but I can confirm the number is still valid. Correctly identified that my plan needed to be upgraded to SERO Premium and took care of that, as well as the phone purchase.

Telesales is pushy.

"Sir, we are pleased to inform you that you can get a Galaxy Tab 4 free for an extra $10/month."
"No thanks."
"Surely you have someone you can give the phone to, as a gift."
"...no." :(

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Contingency posted:

A bit late, but I can confirm the number is still valid. Correctly identified that my plan needed to be upgraded to SERO Premium and took care of that, as well as the phone purchase.

Telesales is pushy.

"Sir, we are pleased to inform you that you can get a Galaxy Tab 4 free for an extra $10/month."
"No thanks."
"Surely you have someone you can give the phone to, as a gift."
"...no." :(

No worries. I got it all figured out.

I bit on the free tablet. I can find a use for it in my classroom, for $10 a month. Wish it came with more than 100mb a month though. That's pretty light.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Krime posted:

No worries. I got it all figured out.

I bit on the free tablet. I can find a use for it in my classroom, for $10 a month. Wish it came with more than 100mb a month though. That's pretty light.

The $15/month plan has a gig

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Has anyone upgraded at an Apple Store or online with the iPhone Forever plan? I was wondering if I could pre-order the 6s Friday from Apple or do I need to go through Sprint (which I don't want to)?

To be clear I am currently on the 'iPhone Forever Plan' with a 6 (started it last month with the $5 a month deal + upgrade by December 2015 again to keep that deal).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 10, 2015

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Can a Sprint Guru shed some light on the value of keeping my Everything Data Share 1500 plan for only 2 lines?

We pay about $160 ,after taxes/fees and a very generous 25% employee discount, a month. It also includes two $5 iPhone 6 leases. The plan we have has pretty much unlimited everything due to their legacy perks.

It seems like the newer family plans look like a better deal, or hell even getting two individual plans.

Am I misreading all these new plans?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

glassyalabolas posted:

Can a Sprint Guru shed some light on the value of keeping my Everything Data Share 1500 plan for only 2 lines?

We pay about $160 ,after taxes/fees and a very generous 25% employee discount, a month. It also includes two $5 iPhone 6 leases. The plan we have has pretty much unlimited everything due to their legacy perks.

It seems like the newer family plans look like a better deal, or hell even getting two individual plans.

Am I misreading all these new plans?

If you jumped plans you'd lose the loyalty lease credits for your iPhones, so you'd probably - after tax - end up paying nearly the same.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Wizard of Smart posted:

If you jumped plans you'd lose the loyalty lease credits for your iPhones, so you'd probably - after tax - end up paying nearly the same.

I completely forgot about the lease credits. I suppose my legacy plan has more flexibility when getting a new phone. Might opt for a 2 year contract/$199 subsidized phone next year.

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 10, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there any reason to use Wi-Fi calling if monthly minutes aren't a concern? Assuming I have a strong cell signal, of course

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

glassyalabolas posted:

I completely forgot about the lease credits. I suppose my legacy plan has more flexibility when getting a new phone. Might opt for a 2 year/$199 subsidized phone next year.
I'm in a very similar situation as you. I'm on Everything Data 1500 with just 2 lines, and a 19% discount on one of the lines. Girlfriend insisted on TEP on her phone, so our monthly bill is $155 including taxes and fees. Every time Sprint introduces a new plan I can barely make sense of it, so as yet have not felt a pull to move away from what I have. I honestly didn't know you could have leased phones on Everything Data.

I just used my upgrade this summer for my first line, going with the good ol' subsidized / 2yr contract option. I went through Best Buy since they were offering $100 off on the new phone I wanted, and also because when I added my second line at the local Sprint store almost 2 years ago, they screwed things up and I had to call corporate to get them to fix it. They did not "fix" it by the way -- they only credited me on my next bill for the amount I was overcharged. They can take money any day but never give it back, it seems.

My other line's 2 year contract is done at the beginning of next month, and my girlfriend sounds like she'll want an iPhone 6 Plus or 6s Plus. If anyone has any suggestions on something I should change, I welcome them. How are discounts applied to newer plans? Does it apply to the monthly charge and per device access fee? Or do they break it out?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

utonium posted:

I'm in a very similar situation as you. I'm on Everything Data 1500 with just 2 lines, and a 19% discount on one of the lines. Girlfriend insisted on TEP on her phone, so our monthly bill is $155 including taxes and fees. Every time Sprint introduces a new plan I can barely make sense of it, so as yet have not felt a pull to move away from what I have. I honestly didn't know you could have leased phones on Everything Data.

I just used my upgrade this summer for my first line, going with the good ol' subsidized / 2yr contract option. I went through Best Buy since they were offering $100 off on the new phone I wanted, and also because when I added my second line at the local Sprint store almost 2 years ago, they screwed things up and I had to call corporate to get them to fix it. They did not "fix" it by the way -- they only credited me on my next bill for the amount I was overcharged. They can take money any day but never give it back, it seems.

My other line's 2 year contract is done at the beginning of next month, and my girlfriend sounds like she'll want an iPhone 6 Plus or 6s Plus. If anyone has any suggestions on something I should change, I welcome them. How are discounts applied to newer plans? Does it apply to the monthly charge and per device access fee? Or do they break it out?

From what I understand, our legacy plan has the option to finance a new phone, pay the $199 subsidized price or lease. I'm not sure if they still offer it but the iPhone 6 lease was $20 a month but since I had a legacy plan, I got a $15 loyalty credit, effectively bringing it down to $5 a month. I went this route since I would only be paying about $120 for 2 years of use, much easier and convenient than trying to resell a subsidized phone.

I'm curious how things will pan out once my lease is up next year. Those iPhone for life plans seem tempting.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Darkpriest667 posted:

That's news to me, but if it was considered to be a fault or error from the factory (like a recall) then they probably do it for free. Let us know what happens, I'd be interested to know.

As an update, I was not charged at the store, and no one mentioned this, but I believe I will be charged on my bill. I'll report back when I get it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I haven't touched my plan in years. Now I am wondering what I should do when I upgrade from a 5S to a 6S. I was thinking about leasing either through sprint or Apple. The Apple lease has the benefit of having AppleCare+ included so you don't really need the equipment protection.

Then I start looking at my plan and wonder if I should be changing anything.
I am on the Everything Data $69.99 - $7 for the 10% AAA discount, and then $10 premium data fee added on. So my bill ends up around $80 after tax for my single line.
Is this $10 premium data charge (what they used to call the iPhone tax) still required?

I also don't think I use a whole lot of data with wifi being everywhere, so maybe unlimited is a waste.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
so I'm on a dealer plan and no longer work for a dealer, what are he odds I'll lose that plan if/when I upgrayyed

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

e.pilot posted:

so I'm on a dealer plan and no longer work for a dealer, what are he odds I'll lose that plan if/when I upgrayyed

Took me a year and a half to lose mine, but I was buying phones outright.

Even then they put me on SERO. :D

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Medullah posted:

Took me a year and a half to lose mine, but I was buying phones outright.

Even then they put me on SERO. :D

I was thinking about rolling the dice and buying a phone outright.

What's the monthly bill like on SERO?

e: looks like it's $60/mo, so it's pretty much a wash if I upgrade and switch to a SERO plan

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 11, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

e.pilot posted:

e: looks like it's $60/mo, so it's pretty much a wash if I upgrade and switch to a SERO plan

From what I understand I got very, very lucky that I was offered SERO. Can't guarantee you'll get the same luck.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Medullah posted:

From what I understand I got very, very lucky that I was offered SERO. Can't guarantee you'll get the same luck.

Ah, guess I'll roll the dice on buying outright then.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Yeah, that's about right depending on your local taxes, etc. Mine comes out to $56 and change.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Are there taxes "per line" or just per montly account?

For example, I have my phone and I know the taxes I'll pay on that, but what about an LTE enabled tablet?

Like I said, I got the free one with the Note5 and the plan for the tablet is $10 a month... Are there taxes on that, too? It does have data, but doesn't make calls which is why I see both sides of taxes/no taxes on that.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Krime posted:

For example, I have my phone and I know the taxes I'll pay on that, but what about an LTE enabled tablet?

Like I said, I got the free one with the Note5 and the plan for the tablet is $10 a month... Are there taxes on that, too? It does have data, but doesn't make calls which is why I see both sides of taxes/no taxes on that.

Wow that is a drat good question. I never checked when I had two lines to see if I was getting taxed more. I imagine they are, but I never honestly checked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

Yes, everything on the plan is "cell phone taxed." Only exception is a phone device.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
How does EasyPay early upgrade work with SWAC?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
So I've been looking at plans for days and have realized that yeah, I probably will save a good bit of money by switching from a legacy Everything Data plan to a new Family Share Pack plan. My girlfriend's 24 mo. contract on her iPhone 5C 32GB is up just a few days into next month, so I'll have the option of lease, easy pay, subsidized or full amount. I created a spreadsheet to help me sort this out, because in my situation, I just am not seeing why I shouldn't get a subsidized phone and then sell her iPhone 5C.

Maybe someone can take a look.

She hasn't decided between a 6s or 6s Plus, but I know that a 16GB model is a dumb move. Based on our usage history, we've never broken 4GB total per month. I'm surprised we even broke 3GB given the dogcrap speeds around here, although it's improved a lot in the past 18 months. I have a 19% employer discount which, from my reading of the fine print, applies to just the monthly plan cost and not device access fees or anything else.

Currently Sprint is offering a discount on 22 mo. leases when you trade in a smartphone by the end of the year, from $22 to $15 for the base 6S 16GB. I think there's a similar discount for 21 mo. leases but I left that off for simplicity. I assume that $7/mo credit is constant for all models though, so that's the difference in the first two rows. If I don't trade it in I plan to sell it, probably on Swappa since it's in great shape.

The second line is actually my primary line, my phone that I just got at the end of May on a 24 mo. contract, so the access fee will be $40 on that until that runs out. The "Eff. / Effective" columns are there for the subsidized and full amount plans, just so I can keep in perspective what I'm actually paying for over 2 years.

And so looking at all this, if she does not care about upgrading before 24 mos., then the subsidized phone looks like the way to go. Right? Other elements (data plan, second line access) staying the same, the $15 per month savings for the device access fee between an Easy Pay / full amount payment and subsidized payment doesn't seem to make up the difference:
($40 x 24) + 399.99 = 1360
($25 x 24) + 849.99 = 1450

Leasing is another story. It's cheaper per month, but after 22 months, you still don't own it until you pay the purchase option price, which I assume to be the difference from the full amount at the time of the start of the lease? Once you factor in reselling the old phone (her current 5c) it looks even worse. So leasing really only looks good if you intend to upgrade early. Easy Pay looks good only if you just can't afford to pay anything today. And paying the full amount up front looks good only if you can afford it, intend to upgrade early and then resell while the demand is still high.

Is my thinking foolish? Is this all particular only to expensive rear end iPhones and heavily discounted subsidized phones? God, sorry for the long post but I keep seeing websites break down these new plans and saying how non-subsidized is a good thing, but they don't ever look at the cheaper data share plans, only single unlimited ones.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Well as someone who joined the iPhone Forever last month to get the 6, I was surprised to learn that Sprint was unable to let me preorder the 6s today in the store. For some reason their system was unable to do it without me turning my current phone in. This was at an official store and the guy spent an hour on the Sprint trying to find a work around. The only thing was to move me to a different lease program, and transfer me back to the iPhone Forever when it comes in. That said I didn't, because I was afraid I would lose my $10 (64gb) a month special they was running at the time I did iPhone Forever.

They told me tele-sales might be able to push it through on my current plan, but wait times were bad on the phone. I am fine waiting for my phone, but my wife wanted a rose colored iPhone, and I would guess those will be hard to come by for awhile. We have to upgrade by end of the year to keep the lower rate.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

nate fisher posted:

Well as someone who joined the iPhone Forever last month to get the 6, I was surprised to learn that Sprint was unable to let me preorder the 6s today in the store. For some reason their system was unable to do it without me turning my current phone in. This was at an official store and the guy spent an hour on the Sprint trying to find a work around. The only thing was to move me to a different lease program, and transfer me back to the iPhone Forever when it comes in. That said I didn't, because I was afraid I would lose my $10 (64gb) a month special they was running at the time I did iPhone Forever.

They told me tele-sales might be able to push it through on my current plan, but wait times were bad on the phone. I am fine waiting for my phone, but my wife wanted a rose colored iPhone, and I would guess those will be hard to come by for awhile. We have to upgrade by end of the year to keep the lower rate.

Thats weird, because we can do it in my store.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Do you have the $10/$15 legacy credit for leasing a phone? Might help you keep you old plan.

IRC, the employer discount doesn't work on newer plans. Take a look at their employer discount FAQ

I would contact Sprint first to ensure your employer discounts are valid first. I think there are a few sales reps in the this thread that can chime in.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Was anyone able to preorder the iPhone on the Sprint website today? It'd always drop me at the checkout page but never load anything. Tried Chrome, Chrome with incognito, and IE just to make sure it wasn't some weird cookie or compatibility issue.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

glassyalabolas posted:

Do you have the $10/$15 legacy credit for leasing a phone? Might help you keep you old plan.

IRC, the employer discount doesn't work on newer plans. Take a look at their employer discount FAQ

I would contact Sprint first to ensure your employer discounts are valid first. I think there are a few sales reps in the this thread that can chime in.
That's a good point. I'll definitely triple check before I make any changes, but I think I should be covered:

quote:

Does the Sprint discount apply to all wireless services?

Discount only applies to Talk 450 and primary line on Talk Share 700 and Everything Data Share. It also applies to the data service charge for Sprint Family Share Pack, Sprint $60 Unlimited Plan, Unlimited, My Way, Unlimited Plus Plan and Sprint Family Share Plus plans.

I can get a legacy credit for a lease on my plan, just $10 I believe. For a 6S Plus 64GB it should add $13.77 with a trade in or $20.77 without to my bill. My monthly bill now with surcharges, fees and taxes is $155.44. So switching to a new plan still seems to be an improvement in this case.

I realize I'd be losing unlimited data, and I just noticed that this mostly falls apart if I ever use / need more than 4GB per month. Personally, I use less than half a gigabyte per month, my girlfriend is making up the difference, so I have a feeling her phone isn't using wifi at work, home or both. But yeah, doing a quick check, a subsidized phone becomes a worse deal when I move to the next highest data package, because of the reduced phone access fee.

Also, my graphic above didn't have taxes and surcharges included, so I went through my last few bills and figured out an average rate I could expect. Even with that, I'm still going to come out better than I am now with any of the 4GB Family Share Pack plans.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

As an update, I was not charged at the store, and no one mentioned this, but I believe I will be charged on my bill. I'll report back when I get it.

No charge on my bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Grumpwagon posted:

No charge on my bill.

We'll wait one more month just in case, but that sounds like awesome news!