Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
With Amazon increasing their free shipping threshold to $49, this might actually be worth it if you can pay $11 for only one month and get out thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Just LTE, no 3G. The story actually just got weirder. As I drove home from work last night, I noticed it was loading emails and my LTE was working perfectly again. Same on the way to work today. Then as I get in the office today, it stops working altogether again. My LTE doesn't work in certain parts of town (I live in a hilly part of L.A. where my LTE symbol turns into 1X and stops working ) but never like this where it continues to say LTE. And I've never had problem with LTE in this part of town until installing the carrier update and new iOS yesterday.

EDIT:

Went on walk at lunch to see how far my LTE deadzone is. After approximately .6 miles, my LTE turned to 3G and worked at that speed, then after 30 seconds switched to LTE and worked at those speeds. As I walked back, it died again, still with the LTE showing up.

If it's only happening in specific areas it's possible it's the towers your phone is connecting to. Call customer service and let them know you're having LTE issues only in specific places. They should be able to put in a ticket to see what's up.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know if the iPhone SEs are as backordered as it says online? I need to get a 16gb in any color quickly for my parent's SERO account since their 5C just bit the dust and they have no landline. Their out of contract, so it's free with a 2-year contract.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

No. 9 posted:

Does anyone know if the iPhone SEs are as backordered as it says online? I need to get a 16gb in any color quickly for my parent's SERO account since their 5C just bit the dust and they have no landline. Their out of contract, so it's free with a 2-year contract.

I cant get one to save my life. And I manage a store so

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

No. 9 posted:

The 64GB SEs are available everywhere, but yeah, you're kinda out of luck with the 16GB. Apple vastly underestimated demand and the Sprint variant is already put out in lesser quantities. I have no clue why Apple thought an upgraded 5S wouldn't be mega popular, but here we are.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Killer Queen posted:

The 64GB SEs are available everywhere, but yeah, you're kinda out of luck with the 16GB. Apple vastly underestimated demand and the Sprint variant is already put out in lesser quantities. I have no clue why Apple thought an upgraded 5S wouldn't be mega popular, but here we are.

Apple tends to artificially limit quantities to increase demand, then capitalizes on that by releasing first in their own stores, and then through dealers.

This happens with some model every iPhone launch. See the iPhone 6plus, rose gold iPhone 6s, 64 gb 6s plus, and so on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are the only options for SERO now the 24 month payment plan or leasing? I checked my upgrade eligibility on a lark and it says I'm eligible for those, but I'm pretty sure I'm not "legit" eligible for a while (I got my new phone in November of 2014 so it hasn't even been 18 months yet).

Edit - Ah they killed 2 year contracts

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 17, 2016

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Medullah posted:

Are the only options for SERO now the 24 month payment plan or leasing? I checked my upgrade eligibility on a lark and it says I'm eligible for those, but I'm pretty sure I'm not "legit" eligible for a while (I got my new phone in November of 2014 so it hasn't even been 18 months yet).

Pretty sure they brought contracts back

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grumpwagon posted:

Pretty sure they brought contracts back

Yeah I was googling and trying to figure it out, seems that you can do a 2 year subsidized contract on your SERO phone but it's not readily advertised, and you can't find the exact date very easily. Oh, Sprint.

I did find this weird document Comparing SERO with lease and SERO with subsidized phones

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Medullah posted:

I'm on SERO and I was able to upgrade very easily without leasing or 24mo plan. I walked into the store and walked out with a completely paid in full phone.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Wizard of Smart posted:

Apple tends to artificially limit quantities to increase demand, then capitalizes on that by releasing first in their own stores, and then through dealers.

This happens with some model every iPhone launch. See the iPhone 6plus, rose gold iPhone 6s, 64 gb 6s plus, and so on.

gently caress the rose gold iPhones! gently caress them hard. The 6s launch would have been a thousand times smoother if they has sent sprint more than like 5 of those pink pieces of poo poo a week.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm on SERO and I was able to upgrade very easily without leasing or 24mo plan. I walked into the store and walked out with a completely paid in full phone.

Going to a store with SERO? You live dangerously, my friend!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

8one6 posted:

gently caress the rose gold iPhones! gently caress them hard. The 6s launch would have been a thousand times smoother if they has sent sprint more than like 5 of those pink pieces of poo poo a week.

"oh hey now that there's no more demand and you could've made a lot of money a few weeks ago, have all these rose gold phones."

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Krime posted:

Going to a store with SERO? You live dangerously, my friend!

It wasn't tough to find out if it was a corporate store, and when I showed up I asked the manager if they can work with a SERO account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

"oh hey now that there's no more demand and you could've made a lot of money a few weeks ago, have all these rose gold phones."

I still remember being a franchise store during the HTC Evo launch where we didn't get phones (launched in Juns) until August.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I still remember being a franchise store during the HTC Evo launch where we didn't get phones (launched in Juns) until August.

Phone release with limited quantities are bad, but nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - will top working a non s&r franchise store during the nextel merger/network vision nightmare.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

td4guy posted:

I ordered an iPhone SE. While it's on the way, I thought I'd do a Domestic SIM Unlock on my iPhone 6 before I sell it. It turns out that they won't let you do it if you're still under contract. Fair enough.

I was told that when I call in to activate/swap my new iPhone onto my line, I should then immediately ask for an unlock on it, since the old phone won't be attached to an on-contract line anymore. I hope that works.
Well, that didn't work. They said that since the iPhone 6 was still under contract for another year, that it can't be done. The exact opposite of what I was told initially. So I offered to pay my ETF to get it done. I was told that wouldn't be necessary. They said they would send a special request through to unlock my old iPhone 6, and call me in 3-5 days to let me know that it's ready. They issued me a case number.

A week later and no call. I reached out to them and was told that I shouldn't have expected a call back, and that everything is done processing - the iPhone is now unlocked. No restoring via iTunes necessary - it all just works.

So I sold the iPhone to a friend of mine. He pops in a T-Mo simcard in and it doesn't work - won't even go through initial setup. So he pops my old Sprint simcard back in and it lets him initialize and set up the phone. It won't let him swap the T-Mo simcard in though - the phone is still locked. We find this Apple support article that contradicts what the Sprint Employee Care representative told me. The iPhone needs to be backed up/restored through iTunes to process any carrier unlocks. So that is tried... no dice.

I called Sprint back and they say they'll try the unlock process again. The Employee Care representative spoke such terribly broken english that I could barely understand him - I thought us SERO folks got access to the good operators. He said "I have to activate the CDMA so that your friend can get GSM service." Wat. And I still have no idea if I have to pay my ETF or not to get this done.
I was issued another case number.

I should expect a call back in 3-5 days.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 20, 2016

bomboloni
Mar 31, 2011
I'm a bit late chiming in on the iPhone talk but I ordered a 64gb space grey SE from Sprints website on 3/31. I'm on SERO and I got it with a subsidy. It was supposed to ship this week, but after chatting with customer service I was told that they don't expect to receive them until the end of next week. The waiting really sucks. That is all.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

bomboloni posted:

I'm a bit late chiming in on the iPhone talk but I ordered a 64gb space grey SE from Sprints website on 3/31. I'm on SERO and I got it with a subsidy. It was supposed to ship this week, but after chatting with customer service I was told that they don't expect to receive them until the end of next week. The waiting really sucks. That is all.

Meh, I've experienced worse. I ordered an in-stock SIM+MiFi from FreedomPop TWO MONTHS ago and it's still "preparing shipment".

At least with Sprint you know they're backordered usually.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

They're backordered everywhere. http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/18/iphone-se-remains-out-of-stock/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So is that new or was I just lucky before? Sprint service numbers no longer 24hr and now close at 10PM on weekdays, 9PM weekends.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
My Note 4 has started randomly restarting and slowing down since I installed the latest software update. I took it to the repair center, but they said they can't help me as they can't replicate the issue. I contacted Samsung and they told me my warranty has already expired.

The problem is, it works fine for a few hours then randomly restarts. Other times, it restarts so often I can't use the phone at all. I've tried replacing the battery, I've tried starting it in safe mode, I've tried taking out the Micro SD card, but the problem still persists.

Just the other day, it refused to restart and got stuck at a screen reading "mmc_read failed". It appears to be a common problem with Note 4 phones. Really kicking myself for not getting the TEP, but I didn't think such an expensive phone would fail completely.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I need to wait until the problem gets worse? I travel for work and I'd rather not be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a functionally broken phone. If this continues I might have to switch to a flip-phone until I'm eligible for my next upgrade.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Muttonchips posted:

My Note 4 has started randomly restarting and slowing down since I installed the latest software update. I took it to the repair center, but they said they can't help me as they can't replicate the issue. I contacted Samsung and they told me my warranty has already expired.

The problem is, it works fine for a few hours then randomly restarts. Other times, it restarts so often I can't use the phone at all. I've tried replacing the battery, I've tried starting it in safe mode, I've tried taking out the Micro SD card, but the problem still persists.

Just the other day, it refused to restart and got stuck at a screen reading "mmc_read failed". It appears to be a common problem with Note 4 phones. Really kicking myself for not getting the TEP, but I didn't think such an expensive phone would fail completely.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I need to wait until the problem gets worse? I travel for work and I'd rather not be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a functionally broken phone. If this continues I might have to switch to a flip-phone until I'm eligible for my next upgrade.
I had problems with my Note 4 as well with the Marshmallow (? whatever the newest Android is), with the excessive rebooting. Mine got stuck in a bootloop (which is when I discovered that my battery was bulging majorly, so that actually ended up being a good thing), so I ended up just factory resetting the phone. That fixed most of the problems I was having, but IHeartRadio still was causing the phone to crash after a few minutes (which is a known issue that they're supposedly working on, but "we'll see") so I just uninstalled it. I'm hoping that the newest software update that I applied last night will help with other, less common random issues, but v:shobon:v

That mmc_read failed thing worries me, though :ohdear:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have seen that sort of stuff with a lot of Samsungs. After doing a major update, it is always best to back it up and do a full hard reset and restoring from there. Otherwise all sorts of weird glitches seems to stick around and make the device seem crappier than it should be.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have seen that sort of stuff with a lot of Samsungs. After doing a major update, it is always best to back it up and do a full hard reset and restoring from there. Otherwise all sorts of weird glitches seems to stick around and make the device seem crappier than it should be.

How does a software issue cause hardware failure? My phone is officially bricked.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I've seen it on the Nexus 7 2013 32GB Marshmallow upgrade. Something happens during the upgrade from Lollipop that eats the eMMC alive, totally bricking it.

Any way to take a photo of the issue when you give the phone to the Sprint tech?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Muttonchips posted:

How does a software issue cause hardware failure? My phone is officially bricked.

A botched software update causing the hardware to be used in a way that is bad for it. Think similar to a botched driver update (Nvidia recently ran into issues just like this with a few of their latest drivers).

Overall for years I have seen android updates from major versions, (Ice Cream Sandwich, to Jelly Bean, to Kit Kat, to Lollipop, etc.) always seem to bring their own list of issues until you do a Hard Reset. Sometimes that fixes it, sometimes it is not fixable since the manufacture decided to drop support and either half asses an update, (Nvidia has done this on their Tegra 3/4 devices, hopefully not with their X1/K1 ones).

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Muttonchips posted:

Both things happened to my Note 2. A major software update came and I had to do a factory reset to get it to work right.

A year or so later I got the random restarts... eventually one morning I woke up to my phone in a boot loop. The internal memory had died. Those restarts were an early warning sign.

Not saying both of those are true for you (or even related to each other in my case) but that's my story

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In August (or whenever they came out) I bought a Nexus 6P from Google and have been using it on Sprint. When I first went to connect it, I had some trouble, and after a few days of several calls to (worthless) support and (nearly worthless) store visits, it miraculously started working on it's own completely out of nowhere, and has been the best phone I've ever had for 9 months.

Last weekend I cracked the screen and it worked ok for a few days and then all of the sudden... no more screen. I took it to my local back-alley screen repair guy and for $150 it was repaired in an hour. While he was in there he unplugged the battery and it reset. Got it fixed, turned it on and made a call home, then went home. Couldn't get 3G/LTE data or make any more calls. Called support yesterday and was led on a goosechase. They told me to go to the store. Went to the store today and the phone briefly works but then loses signal.

Meanwhile, the phone keeps connecting to Verizon (who I do not have service with).

I can't get the thing to connect to Sprint.

Web and phone support's only move is to have you keep typing ##72786# and restarting the phone time and time again.

In-store they give you a new sim card and do the same.

Any thoughts as to why my phone won't connect to Sprint and an avenue I can go down to try and get service back? Is there anyone who works for Spring who knows more than "can you turn it off and turn it back on"?

photomikey fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 28, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

photomikey posted:

In August (or whenever they came out) I bought a Nexus 6P from Google and have been using it on Sprint. When I first went to connect it, I had some trouble, and after a few days of several calls to (worthless) support and (nearly worthless) store visits, it miraculously started working on it's own completely out of nowhere, and has been the best phone I've ever had for 9 months.

Last weekend I cracked the screen and it worked ok for a few days and then all of the sudden... no more screen. I took it to my local back-alley screen repair guy and for $150 it was repaired in an hour. While he was in there he unplugged the battery and it reset. Got it fixed, turned it on and made a call home, then went home. Couldn't get 3G/LTE data or make any more calls. Called support yesterday and was led on a goosechase. They told me to go to the store. Went to the store today and the phone briefly works but then loses signal.

Meanwhile, the phone keeps connecting to Verizon (who I do not have service with).

I can't get the thing to connect to Sprint.

Web and phone support's only move is to have you keep typing ##72786# and restarting the phone time and time again.

In-store they give you a new sim card and do the same.

Any thoughts as to why my phone won't connect to Sprint and an avenue I can go down to try and get service back? Is there anyone who works for Spring who knows more than "can you turn it off and turn it back on"?

Considering the 6P provisions based on the Sim itself, it is strange it is trying to connect to anything else as only without the sim, did it give an option to sort of attempt connecting to other carriers.

It almost sounds like in the middle of the screen repair the guy might have tweaked/damaged the antenna for the radio and it is trying to connect to something, only coming up with the signal for Verizon on Roaming.

That is only a semi broad guess. When I put in the Sim for my 6P, it locked everything to Sprint and provisioned itself accordingly which removed the option to "select carrier" I got with no sim. Might try taking it out, booting it up, then putting the sim in, and seeing if it re-provisions again?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is only a semi broad guess. When I put in the Sim for my 6P, it locked everything to Sprint and provisioned itself accordingly which removed the option to "select carrier" I got with no sim. Might try taking it out, booting it up, then putting the sim in, and seeing if it re-provisions again?
Kinda had the same thought. Did this a couple of times yesterday with no success. Went to the Sprint store today and got a new sim and was able to make (one) brief phone call and load a webpage via LTE. On exiting the store, I lost connection entirely. Went back in and the guy fiddled with it for a while. Reconnected, brief phone call, webpage via LTE. Left. Lost connection immediately. Never got it back.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

td4guy posted:

Well, that didn't work.
...<domestic SIM unlock woes>...
I should expect a call back in 3-5 days.
I called back again after a week and finally got my old iPhone unlocked. Yay! Only took 3 weeks.

My buddy activated his new nano SIM at the T-Mobile store and the employee there said that he once spent an entire year trying to get an iPhone unlocked with Sprint. So I guess I got relatively good service.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I got one of my SERO lines from a goon in this thread who was selling it like 5yrs ago. It turns out I've been paying taxes to his state and county this whole time! Sprint just fixed it and gave me a $240 bill credit.

If any of you got a line via a Transfer of Liability, double-check the Government Taxes & Fees section of your bill.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Has anyone gotten the unlocked iPhone 6S to work on Sprint? I've heard you need to buy the Sprint model if you ever plan to go to Sprint.

I've seen rumors of putting an activated Sprint SIM and it works but nothing confirmed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dexter6 posted:

Has anyone gotten the unlocked iPhone 6S to work on Sprint? I've heard you need to buy the Sprint model if you ever plan to go to Sprint.

I've seen rumors of putting an activated Sprint SIM and it works but nothing confirmed.

I bought an unlocked t-mo 6S+ at launch because it was all that was available, it works just fine on Sprint.

8one6
May 20, 2012

dexter6 posted:

You may need to take the phone in and have them add it to the inventory. I used to do it all the time in the command center. You will need a sprint sim but an unlocked 6 or 6s should work.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Well after a visit to the store and 3 phone calls, no one could help me.

I guess it's not possible to 1. Confirm your phone will work on the network without applying and getting a credit check and 2. Bring your own device without buying and activating a new line from Sprint.

Am I :spergin: by wanting to bring an unlocked phone and start a pre-paid plan?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Well after a visit to the store and 3 phone calls, no one could help me.

I guess it's not possible to 1. Confirm your phone will work on the network without applying and getting a credit check and 2. Bring your own device without buying and activating a new line from Sprint.

Am I :spergin: by wanting to bring an unlocked phone and start a pre-paid plan?

You can't do prepaid. What you can do however is a no credit check no contract byod plan. Any store is able to do it. If not, pm me and I'll give you the exact script to tell them.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Wizard of Smart posted:

You can't do prepaid. What you can do however is a no credit check no contract byod plan. Any store is able to do it. If not, pm me and I'll give you the exact script to tell them.

Can people still join existing Framily Plans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

jfff posted:

Can people still join existing Framily Plans?

Yes, but if you want your own bill it can get tricky. The easiest workaround I have found is to join someone with a framily plans account, and then do a transfer of liability into your own name.