Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

photomikey posted:

Kinda had the same thought. Did this a couple of times yesterday with no success. Went to the Sprint store today and got a new sim and was able to make (one) brief phone call and load a webpage via LTE. On exiting the store, I lost connection entirely. Went back in and the guy fiddled with it for a while. Reconnected, brief phone call, webpage via LTE. Left. Lost connection immediately. Never got it back.

Sounds like something in the phone may be physically borked. Like somehow the sim pins got bent or something else with the device. Any chance you can try a warranty replacement for it because you shouldn't get Intermittent signal issues like that once the sim is installed.

The 6P has the best radio signal and connectivity of any device I have messed with in the last few years, hell it even seems to be better than the HTC 10 in that area. Both WiFi and Cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So my SECOND LG G4 died on me and I'm waiting for a warrantied replacement.

My roommate let me borrow his old unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy S5.

Is there anyway to get it to work on Sprint's network?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So my SECOND LG G4 died on me and I'm waiting for a warrantied replacement.

My roommate let me borrow his old unlocked T-Mobile Galaxy S5.

Is there anyway to get it to work on Sprint's network?

Nope, not without a Sprint serial number. Probably doesn't have the right frequencies anyway.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alright so Best Buy covered my LG G4 that died from a manufacturer's flaw and gave me a $699.99 gift card. Thinking of going Galaxy S7, should not having a removable battery worry me?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Alright so Best Buy covered my LG G4 that died from a manufacturer's flaw and gave me a $699.99 gift card. Thinking of going Galaxy S7, should not having a removable battery worry me?

Why would you get a Samsung phone when you can get a Nexus 6P, a more solid phone without Samsung TouchWiz crap, and pocket the $100 difference?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Killer Queen posted:

Why would you get a Samsung phone when you can get a Nexus 6P, a more solid phone without Samsung TouchWiz crap, and pocket the $100 difference?

I will second the recommendation for the nexus 6p. The only thing the GS7 has going for it over the 6p is being waterproof.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Killer Queen posted:

$150 difference, actually. They are offering a free crappy TV with the galaxy s7, though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Do you need a free crappy TV? The 6p is a better long-term investment.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Do you need a free crappy TV? The 6p is a better long-term investment.

Haha, the LG G5's are BOGO on Sprint's website but after two G4's dying on me in less than a year I guess I'll be going with the 6P.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 on the 6P. The only reason I would have gotten a Samsung S7(Edge) would have been for the GearVR, but now with Google Daydream VR becoming a thing, I may no longer have to part with a Nexus to do that.

Unlock bootloader + Install Pure Nexus + ElementalX + UnRoot + Install SuperSU Systemless. = Best most stable feature filled Nexus Android experience, with, Android Pay working.
(Also might want to get a Spigen clear case for it as the Huawei metal isn't up to HTC level just yet)

Literally this has made my 6P be about the first time ever, I have been pleasantly content and happy with Android. Everything working great for more than a single day ftw.

*And the G5 while nifty, is a bit of a prototype currently.

Another valid option though is the HTC 10. Really good phone if you'd like something smaller with a great camera, all the bells and whistles with much better metal that is near indestructible. Just not quite the freedom of a Nexus but Sense has gotten real lean and whats left is pretty good. (From personal experience mind you..)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 24, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah that's the most important thing to me. I already cashed in a 40 inch smart TV from the last Best Buy gently caress up (they sent me a $1K giftcard when my last G4 died but only $699.99 this time) so I'm all set on the TV front for now. I have my landlord's 72 inch in the living room already. I just got laid off so I'd rather save the difference in case I need a router or a bluetooth speaker when those inevitably die on me.

I do like HTC though. I dropped one of my old Droids out of a moving car and it was fine.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alright, got the nexus 6p and I love it. I had to switch to Verizon because no stores in my area carry SIM cards for it...and the verizon store down the road had a ton in stock. I was only planning on doing it for a month and then switching back to Sprint but Sprint sent me an email with a $300 service credit offer to come back but no specific details.

Does anyone know the specifics of this?

Edit: I did want to say that the Nexus 6P isn't that comfortable to hold compared to the Galaxy S7 but the S7 seemed laggy to me compared to my 6p and even my old G4.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Alright, got the nexus 6p and I love it. I had to switch to Verizon because no stores in my area carry SIM cards for it...and the verizon store down the road had a ton in stock. I was only planning on doing it for a month and then switching back to Sprint but Sprint sent me an email with a $300 service credit offer to come back but no specific details.

Does anyone know the specifics of this?

Edit: I did want to say that the Nexus 6P isn't that comfortable to hold compared to the Galaxy S7 but the S7 seemed laggy to me compared to my 6p and even my old G4.

Yea it is a big phone, Pick up this case to give it some protection as well as keep the good look of the device. The metal is soft as butter vs scrapes, and the case makes it easier to hold by giving it a soft yet rubbery grip that is nice.

I love my 6P but man do I look foward to seeing what HTC has in store for the successor. If they bring what they put into the HTC 10 into a 6P+ or whatever, I will soo jump onto that as long as it doesn't take stuff away. (Stereo speakers, 128G (or expandable storage), 10's Cameras, hell a Kickstand would be great).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I'm a SERO user, and contemplating a train trip from Chicago to DC at the end of this month (June 20th-28th round trip). The train doesn't offer wifi, so I'm wondering about getting a USB modem or hotspot just for the trip. Does Sprint have anything that doesn't require an outright purchase or a 2-year contract, or should I look elsewhere?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Are you on Android? Are you afraid to Root/custom rom and just enable Tethering?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EdEddnEddy posted:

Are you on Android? Are you afraid to Root/custom rom and just enable Tethering?

Not against the idea, I do have a crappy HTC One E8. Just wondering if it's worth the effort as my contract is up in July and I'll be switching to Google Fi pronto.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Just Root the phone and do the super easy build.prop edit to enable wifi tethering (or install a custom rom with some of the Sense Bloat ripped out) and enjoy WiFi from that.

Hell on my trip to Hawaii a month ago, I ripped down nearly 30G for a 2 week trip lol.

Never leaving SERO as long as I can keep it. (and I don't normally pull down over 20G anymore like I used to now that I have actual Wifi at home finally).

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just Root the phone and do the super easy build.prop edit to enable wifi tethering (or install a custom rom with some of the Sense Bloat ripped out) and enjoy WiFi from that.

Hell on my trip to Hawaii a month ago, I ripped down nearly 30G for a 2 week trip lol.

Never leaving SERO as long as I can keep it. (and I don't normally pull down over 20G anymore like I used to now that I have actual Wifi at home finally).
Is there a program I can download and just click "root now" and have it do everything for me? I haven't bothered with rooting for over 5 years, and I don't remember it being enjoyable at all.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

If it's a one time thing, you could just add the tethering service legitimately. You can add/cancel it any time you want, and you're only charged the % of the month you had it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's good to know, thanks. I'll keep it in mind, but I may end up flying Southwest instead of riding the rails.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cage posted:

Is there a program I can download and just click "root now" and have it do everything for me? I haven't bothered with rooting for over 5 years, and I don't remember it being enjoyable at all.

It varies from device to device with some being nearly 1 click, others take a little prep on your end, but nothing like the manual ways of old.

Check out your devices forum on XDA and see what some of the top post say for unlocking/rooting.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I'm on a SWAC plan and want to get an unlocked Nexus 6. Can I still go into a store or do I have to call to get a SIM card for it? I don't know if my account is just too old to work anymore or if their website is borked but I can't seem to do anything in My Account on the Sprint website. When I click add a new device or activate a device it just redirects to a Sprint home page and if I try to do anything from there it says my account is not eligible for online purchases.

I'm on an old as balls Note 3 and I'd like to get a new phone if I can, but more importantly I don't want to lose the plan I'm on even if it means being stuck with a failing Note 3. I know from prior experience trying to call or go to a store that nobody would help me because of the plan I'm on, but this was 2 years ago when I got my Note 3. Back then however, the website worked and I was able to activate online, and I can't seem to get that part of the website to work anymore leading me to believe they're trying to kick me off the plan.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 10, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For a Nexus 6 (Non P) you might be able to get one from a corporate store, but it would be easier to find the part number for the specific sim you need and just order it through the phone. You shouldn't have any problem getting a sim free for the new phone without any plan changes or activation fees as long as you're not getting the Nexus through sprint. If you are going through sprint, then over the phone would probably be best to handle a special plan if its anything like SERO.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

I've justed picked up a Nexus 6P and it is now provisioned with Sprint.

I used to tether all the time with my old Samsung S3 and a Wifi Tether app that did its job.

How do I do the same with with the 6P? I'm seeing "bootloader + systemless su + wifi tether router (from google play)".
There are some guides with bootloader + systemless su out there..

Is there anything else I should be worried with?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kenji Jenkins posted:

I've justed picked up a Nexus 6P and it is now provisioned with Sprint.

I used to tether all the time with my old Samsung S3 and a Wifi Tether app that did its job.

How do I do the same with with the 6P? I'm seeing "bootloader + systemless su + wifi tether router (from google play)".
There are some guides with bootloader + systemless su out there..

Is there anything else I should be worried with?

It's pretty easy to just root and enable native tethering, but the 6P is immensely better with the Pure Nexus rom that adds a few nice bits missing from the stock android experience without adding bloat.

It is also pre rooted unless you want to use Android Pay which requires a few hoops to go through to just remove the included SuperSU and install it in systemless mode and making sure you use the correct GAPPS.

Native Tether is Immensely better than using any tether app.

If you need some help with this, let me know and I'll get you some direct links once I'm at a pc again.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's pretty easy to just root and enable native tethering, but the 6P is immensely better with the Pure Nexus rom that adds a few nice bits missing from the stock android experience without adding bloat.

It is also pre rooted unless you want to use Android Pay which requires a few hoops to go through to just remove the included SuperSU and install it in systemless mode and making sure you use the correct GAPPS.

Native Tether is Immensely better than using any tether app.

If you need some help with this, let me know and I'll get you some direct links once I'm at a pc again.

Yeah, I'd be happy to take some recommendations.
I don't really care about Android Pay.

If you have links to the different things you would like me to install, I'd be down.
I'm more of a web dev, so a lot of the Android terminology is pretty dense to me.

But thank you for your help!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kenji Jenkins posted:

Yeah, I'd be happy to take some recommendations.
I don't really care about Android Pay.

If you have links to the different things you would like me to install, I'd be down.
I'm more of a web dev, so a lot of the Android terminology is pretty dense to me.

But thank you for your help!

Yep. with no care for Android Pay it is really easy to get setup and you can always fix it down the line.

Nexus 6P Toolkit Start here to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, etc.

Pure Nexus Rom Get the Latest build (Preferably Layers as the CMTE version seem to have other little glitches), vendor.img and the recommended gAPPS.

Read up the FAQ/Instructions for both to get a jist of what they do and what order to do thing, but once you are all done you will have a clean and powerful Nexus 6P.

Later once you are done with that you might want to look into Kernels for extra tweaking, but to keep things more stable, just stick with unlock + Pure Nexus rom and you should be golden.

If you get stuck or need more guidance just let me know. Just really busy/tired here at work.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

Thank you for the tips!

For some reason the Toolkit was unable to unlock the bootloader, but I figured out how to do that myself.

After after some trial and error:
* Toolkit
* TWRP Recovery
* Backup
* Download Nexus/Layers, gAPPS, vendor.img
* Use TWRP to install all three
* Reboot

Native tethering seems to work like a champ. Thanks!

Now to futz with the apps and restore settings.. but this is a nice, clean, non bloated experience.

Thank you for saving me from the Samsung experience, is what I'm saying.

Question: what do I do with OTA updates? New versions of Android, etc?

Kenji Jenkins fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 11, 2016

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am interested in Sprint for an unlimited plan. Is it truly unlimited 4g at $75 a month? I will be using it as my home Internet. I use Verizon now and tether via an app called Klink. I won't be using the Hotspot app. I have a galaxy s6. Any recommendations? On the Verizon 18gb plan and my bill is like $168 for my phone and my dad's flip phone. Too expensive. I'd have to break contract with Verizon.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

vandalism posted:

I am interested in Sprint for an unlimited plan. Is it truly unlimited 4g at $75 a month? I will be using it as my home Internet. I use Verizon now and tether via an app called Klink. I won't be using the Hotspot app. I have a galaxy s6. Any recommendations? On the Verizon 18gb plan and my bill is like $168 for my phone and my dad's flip phone. Too expensive. I'd have to break contract with Verizon.

It is a bad idea probably. You will be stuck at 2g speeds after using 23GB of data, regardless of whether it's hotspot usage or not. (The plan also includes only 3GB of hotspot high speed data, but not using the app will help get around that.)

Honestly most of us in this thread are here because we're grandfathered in on a ridiculously cheap plan or Sprint is strangely the best option in the geographic area.

I mean, I'm on Sprint with an old-style actually unlimited plan (it used to be "Wireless Web" data) but the coverage has gotten worse and worse over the years. Their 4g roll-out completed in my area and things are worse than before it happened. It's just not worth it anymore now that other providers have better coverage for the price. I'll be jumping ship once the new Nexuses are out.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

effika posted:

It is a bad idea probably. You will be stuck at 2g speeds after using 23GB of data, regardless of whether it's hotspot usage or not. (The plan also includes only 3GB of hotspot high speed data, but not using the app will help get around that.)

Honestly most of us in this thread are here because we're grandfathered in on a ridiculously cheap plan or Sprint is strangely the best option in the geographic area.

I mean, I'm on Sprint with an old-style actually unlimited plan (it used to be "Wireless Web" data) but the coverage has gotten worse and worse over the years. Their 4g roll-out completed in my area and things are worse than before it happened. It's just not worth it anymore now that other providers have better coverage for the price. I'll be jumping ship once the new Nexuses are out.

I thought the 23GB was for only high usage times/areas. So if it's not in high demand at that time and/or area, I thought it still went at the full 4G speed.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

uapyro posted:

I thought the 23GB was for only high usage times/areas. So if it's not in high demand at that time and/or area, I thought it still went at the full 4G speed.

That's true, but if you're using it as your only internet connection I wouldn't want to get stuck with Sprint's idea of 2g data.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kenji Jenkins posted:

Thank you for the tips!

For some reason the Toolkit was unable to unlock the bootloader, but I figured out how to do that myself.

After after some trial and error:
* Toolkit
* TWRP Recovery
* Backup
* Download Nexus/Layers, gAPPS, vendor.img
* Use TWRP to install all three
* Reboot

Native tethering seems to work like a champ. Thanks!

Now to futz with the apps and restore settings.. but this is a nice, clean, non bloated experience.

Thank you for saving me from the Samsung experience, is what I'm saying.

Question: what do I do with OTA updates? New versions of Android, etc?

Just keep tabs on the Pure Nexus thread for when he releases an update. Usually he is pretty good at getting the Monthly security updates out with whatever fixes as well.

Also if you get bored and want to tweak with a few more bits, there is the ElementalX Kernel which does have a good Kernel manager that alerts you to update that are pretty much the security updated built into the kernel, but if you like stability, the modded kernels are a mixed blessing as you can tweak for speed/smoothness/battery, but sometimes it will crash or get wonky for whatever reason after a period of time. Not as bad as on older phones for sure, but it still happens occasionally.

Otherwise enjoy the phone dude. This is the officially first Android device I can just say I am happy with. I do look forward to the next Nexus devices from HTC for sure though because well I like HTC. :)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
My Moto X 1st gen won't make/receive calls any more and I would just get another one but it seems like 5.1 screwed it up and I don't expect Motorola to fix anything for a phone that old. I have a SERO unlimited plan so I do want LTE but I want to spend less than $100, hopefully ~$60 on a used phone. I was looking at the Moto E LTE but it's prepaid? Is there any fancy way to activate a prepaid device on a postpaid plan?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does anyone know how data/text/phone work internationally on SERO? Im only going to Canada, all I see on my plan details are these:

SERO Premium
$40.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
500 Anytime Minutes
Nationwide Long Distance Included
America - Roaming Included
Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime
Unlimited SMS Text Messaging
Unlimited Picture Mail
Unltd Nationwide Direct Connect
Unlimited Group Connect
Unlimited Data Usage (See Terms)
GPS Navigation
Caller ID
Call Waiting
Three-Way Calling
Voicemail

edit: short answer "it doesn't"?

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 23, 2016

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
When I went to Quebec, I called and asked and they signed me up for this cheap monthly add-on for Canada. I think it was 5$ or so. This was a few years ago. I turned it off when I got back.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I was idle on sprint.com for a few minutes and a chat window came up. Apparently theres a a free international add on. I get unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data every month, you just have to manually activate it which Im doing right now with sprint worldwide chat.

Joie C. : It shows that international texting/data is not added yet on the account. Since you are going to canada I will suggest that you add Sprint Open World on your phone. The Sprint Open Worldsm $0 add-on, gives customers FREE UNLIMITED calling and text when traveling in Canada, Mexico and most other countries across Latin America. Plus, they get 1GB of high-speed data FREE to use while they're there. Each bill cycle, the 1GB high-speed data starts over.

edit: $30/GB after that first free GB :eyepop:

Apparently for this road trip I will be using a map and as little data as possible.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 23, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cage posted:

I was idle on sprint.com for a few minutes and a chat window came up. Apparently theres a a free international add on. I get unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data every month, you just have to manually activate it which Im doing right now with sprint worldwide chat.

Joie C. : It shows that international texting/data is not added yet on the account. Since you are going to canada I will suggest that you add Sprint Open World on your phone. The Sprint Open Worldsm $0 add-on, gives customers FREE UNLIMITED calling and text when traveling in Canada, Mexico and most other countries across Latin America. Plus, they get 1GB of high-speed data FREE to use while they're there. Each bill cycle, the 1GB high-speed data starts over.

edit: $30/GB after that first free GB :eyepop:

Apparently for this road trip I will be using a map and as little data as possible.

Download the maps so you can use it offline.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So my data only gets used when google maps downloads the map as I move along and zoom in and such? It makes so much sense but I didn't think of that, it's not like Garmin GPS have data lines.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you keep data on it might use data for local businesses, traffic, route info/changes/etc, but not having to download the map itself live should save you a good chuck of it.